Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lord Koth posted:

Alternatively I've been hearing rumors that the game might be acting as if you final bonded everyone. Somehow.

Five thousand headpats a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Five thousand headpats a minute

Altina has learned that the hat does not, in fact, provide any protection. :v:

Anyways, Laura has been getting a lot of focus compared to other members so it's looking like there probably was a pick at some point, just not on the stream itself (which is missing part of the very beginning, as well the segment I already mentioned).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you managed to have enough points with more than one character by the end of Zero (like by doing ng+) and then imported that save into Ao it would just ask your preference near the beginning of the game. Not hard to imagine it being something similar.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I already bought everything but just got the 100000 Mira prize, yet I still never had enough funds by the end of either CS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MythosDragon posted:

I already bought everything but just got the 100000 Mira prize, yet I still never had enough funds by the end of either CS.

Yeah, funds are way less tight in FC, mostly because your quests actually give you mira.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One thing that I would like to share my appreciation of in the Sky series is that they didn't kill off Cassius for drama/motivation, even though all of my JRPG instincts were going oh no they're going to kill off the dad to raise the stakes. But nope he just has a job,like the other good classic JRPG Earthbound.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing that I would like to share my appreciation of in the Sky series is that they didn't kill off Cassius for drama/motivation, even though all of my JRPG instincts were going oh no they're going to kill off the dad to raise the stakes. But nope he just has a job,like the other good classic JRPG Earthbound.

Or Skies of Arcadia.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hatsuu's been giving updates for characters done in the CS2 pc port. It's more eye opening on just how silent the game is when you just realize Duke Albarea and Aurora were never voiced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Hatsuu's been giving updates for characters done in the CS2 pc port. It's more eye opening on just how silent the game is when you just realize Duke Albarea and Aurora were never voiced.

Duke Albarea wasn?! Jesus, I never realized.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My wife's played about 25 hours (according to Steam anyway) of the first Trails in the Sky but I haven't started it yet. This is the first I'm hearing of a "talk to everyone" system or caveat? What is this? "Talk to everyone" is the one thing that I cannot stand doing in JRPGs. I mean, I'll do it in Dragon Quest or whatever where there aren't that many people but to what end is this in Trails? Can I just... not do it and not miss anything big?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's just a quirk of the series. NPC dialogue updates very frequently, but it's entirely a side thing to engage with if you want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

My wife's played about 25 hours (according to Steam anyway) of the first Trails in the Sky but I haven't started it yet. This is the first I'm hearing of a "talk to everyone" system or caveat? What is this? "Talk to everyone" is the one thing that I cannot stand doing in JRPGs. I mean, I'll do it in Dragon Quest or whatever where there aren't that many people but to what end is this in Trails? Can I just... not do it and not miss anything big?

You can not do it and be somewhat fine if you look up a sidequest guide.

There are unmarked quests you will miss if you don't, including a couple which give some pretty minor foreshadowing or development to characters who wouldn't get it otherwise

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The reason people are talking about talking to everyone is that this is one of the most rewarding series to do that in. Huge numbers of NPCs, even ones who never are involved in quests, have their own mini storylines that progress and change as time passes, often between multiple games. For me, that's incredibly exciting and I love getting to know these incredibly minor characters for no other reason than because I enjoy it.

If you don't enjoy that then no you don't have to do it. If you want to do all the significant content you can just use a guide for hidden/missable stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

precision posted:

I barely talk to any npcs outside of quests and barely miss anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's just a fun little quirk of the franchise, you digest as little or as much of the random NPC mini-storylines as you're willing to do. There's a good chance a handful will catch your interest and you'll wind up going out of your way to catch up with them whenever you get the chance. It's just another little bonus point of world building the games are able to bring to the table.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

These 2 images towards the end of FC sum it up pretty well.

Its fully optional, but it develops and fleshes the setting out immensely and is the series' main claim to fame.

I take it to extremes and get stressed out over missing any of it, or introducing new variables to it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i couldn't handle talking to everyone in sky but i couldn't help doing it in cold steel because i love all the goofy npcs at thors

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

It's not "talk to everyone" in the typical sense where you need to talk to everyone for the story to progress, it's just a way to engage with optional worldbuilding by following npc storylines unrelated to the main plot that help make the world feel real and makes the stakes alot weightier once poo poo starts getting real since you actually care about the little people in this country you are trying to save.

Also if you missed it I made a big ole Ys post for you a page or two ago.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I hope Zin's in CS3 and is the link to Calvard or something so we can get some more of him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaggitz posted:

Also if you missed it I made a big ole Ys post for you a page or two ago.

Oh yeah thanks for that! I went from Origins to the remake of 3. I played 3 when I was a kid and doing that is the entire reason that I was under the impression that the series "sucked". I think I played the PC version because as I recall Sierra On-Line of all people published it in the late 80s.

I got to the first dungeon of the 3 remake last night and while obviously it's a huge improvement it didn't really "click" for me like Origins did, though I imagine I'll eventually go back to it. Origins, as you said, is just so drat polished and fun (the first couple bosses, drat). It's amazing that it gets so much mileage out of what amounts to a two-button combat system.

I'll probably skip straight to 8 after I finish Origins with all three characters simply because 8 looks really, really drat pretty and polished though I know it doesn't use the same general system.

e: OK, Wikipedia doesn't know anything about Sierra publishing an Ys game but I am literally one hundred per cent certain that they did so :tinfoil:

precision fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 27, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It CAN get overwhelming talking to every NPC in the region after every plot event. What I would suggest in order to get a taste of it is pick like 4 or 5 NPCs per region (pick several family members for a usually better experience) and talk to them after every plot event. If you like the ongoing mini-plots, you can increase the number of NPCs you "follow". If you're like "meh" then drop them.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Fans generally talk to every NPC just because it's so gosh darn enjoyable. Almost every character has a name and a little storyline. They'll fall in love or open a business or learn how to fish, or something that makes them feel like real members of the community, not nameless art assets cloned to populate a world map.

Like holy poo poo, at the festival in CS1, my jaw dropped for Annabelle and Rex to have their little storylines end up like that. In Sky, I loved all of Tita's friends in Ziess.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

There are also some interesting lore bits you can dig up from talking to NPCs. A couple examples from FC are Hamel being mentioned, and the age of the cathedral in Grancel, plus how long the Royal Family has had close ties to the church. Some from Cold Steel include a rough estimation of when Sky 3rd took place, a mention of Zemurian's own Phantom of the Opera, and an interesting tidbits about Misty near the end of the first game.

Nothing really neccesary to enjoy the game so you shouldn't feel pressured to go out and talk to all of them at every interval. But if this writing is something you enjoy then please follow along as Baron Poe falls into debt due to his inability to tell his daughter no.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I personally really grew attached to Seagoro and Edel, the married couple that travels alongside you in FC.
Also cant wait for Armand and Ellie to either get married and make little npcs or break up horribly.
Baron Poe and his horrible daughter, Clarisse were my favorite part of scouring the towns in Cold Steel, always a hoot to see how much more she can put him in debt and not give a single poo poo.
Annabelle going from runaway noble scion to fishing aficionado in order to survive with no money was pretty much the trails equivelent of "My side of the Mountain".
Anton and Ricky are so popular that theyve pretty much transcended NPCness and become main characters.

Holy poo poo I am absolute rear end at names, but remembered all of those and none of those are even Thor's students.

Edit: There are also several cases like resolving chapter 1's plotline and seeing the people you saved getting to live their lives in chapter 2 that really make you feel like you did something great.

Double Edit: Its also a ton of fun to check out peoples house and want to live there cuz holy poo poo Falcom must have interior design people on payroll. Every house has some kind of unique touch that sets it apart and really makes you think people live their day to day lives there. Some houses have a prop that I swear I have not seen used elsewhere and its just amazing to imagine someone going through all that effort and it continues into the 3D games. The hotels even have bathrooms.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 27, 2017

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It's fun when you see NPC's from the other series show up in later games too. It just makes the world feel vibrant and alive.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Logicblade posted:

It's fun when you see NPC's from the other series show up in later games too. It just makes the world feel vibrant and alive.
Its fun to do it in reverse too, I got super happy when I saw Payton in Grancel's landing port after he helped out with the Courageous in Cold Steel 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's way more satisfying to defeat and humiliate some no-name gambler in SC when you realize that his wife spent the entirety of FC trying to make him get a loving job.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there a mod to fix the fullscreen on these games? In both Trails and Oath of Fel, a little bit of the screen is cropped and it's driving me nuts

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Oxxidation posted:

It's way more satisfying to defeat and humiliate some no-name gambler in SC when you realize that his wife spent the entirety of FC trying to make him get a loving job.

Speaking of satisfying quests from FC to SC... old lighthouse man :allears:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

I'm enjoying these two, that sounds fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So after finding out about Zero/Azure, I have to ask, does this series have any sort of end in sight? I'm seeing screenshots of villains in CS3 that I already hate in SC and apparently the entire middle hunk of the overarching story hasn't even been localized. Does this just spin out indefinitely? Does anyone even know who the Grandmaster is after at least six games and 1000 hours of playtime?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
We do know the endgame is that project the grandmaster is talking about that needs a part fufilled in each area to do.

The plan is vague but that is their gimmick.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

So after finding out about Zero/Azure, I have to ask, does this series have any sort of end in sight? I'm seeing screenshots of villains in CS3 that I already hate in SC and apparently the entire middle hunk of the overarching story hasn't even been localized. Does this just spin out indefinitely? Does anyone even know who the Grandmaster is after at least six games and 1000 hours of playtime?

According to a recent interview by Kondo the story is roughly 60% complete as of the end of CS3, so there is a projected endpoint. Supposedly there's big revelations being revealed late in CS3 too regarding some of those questions, but no one's there yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh coolio guess that means it'll be finished just before the floodwaters claim us all

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

oh coolio guess that means it'll be finished just before the floodwaters claim us all

I welcome it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah like Charles said it's a slow burn but definite progress is being made towards their master plan. It doesn't matter too much IMHO, because each game works fine as it's own thing like 85% of the time, you just kinda lose the impact of stuff like (CS1 endgame spoilers)Sharon being an Enforcer but actively going against the society and Misty being a loving Anguis. and even then as a dude that only vaguely had an idea of Ouroboros as "that place Joshua used to work for going into Cold Steel the ending still worked fine.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I look forward to finishing the series in my local nuclear shelter and then letting the oppressive winds of nuclear winter engulf me as I bask in the finality of the series. My life will be complete, and I will be at peace.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he said it was 60% before CS3 too :shobon:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

lets hang out posted:

he said it was 60% before CS3 too :shobon:

"Roughly 60%" could mean 55% before CS3 and 65% after. :colbert:

What I'm choosing to take from that comment is the implication of a 5th arc after the Calvard arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I just hope the final game is some gargantuan behemoth that crams every arc's cast together into a giant ball with a playable character roster that puts stuff like Suikoden to shame.

If I want to rock the final dungeon with a party of Millium, Elie, Josette, and [insert awesome Calvard character here] then I better dang be allowed to do so.