Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Boones is the thunderbird of wine.

There's a lot of sub $20 bottles of wine that are way better than boones.

I've been enjoying a variety of reds from South American countries. It's been fun.

Warning- if you get drunk on wine drink plenty of water and a Gatorade before bed, with a few aspirin. You'll feel less lovely the next day.

Wine hangovers are.. terrible.

:thejoke:

The fact that you consider Boones to be actual wine at all is...disturbing. And I like Boones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

at the date posted:

p sure the post you're referring to was just mocking some counselor at Booze Camp, not a licensed psychologist, who said getting blackout drunk twice in your life means you're an alcoholic, which seems like it's overstating the case even to someone who's never blacked out.

I'm aware of what he said, I was again, hyperbolizing a broad range of quibbles with counselor two shoes sentiments, while those replies illustrated the problem the counselor was trying to elucidate.

at the date posted:

now, the fact that this person was in rehab to begin with would tend to indicate that they're an alcoholic and maybe the well-meaning twit was just trying to convince them using alternative facts

Exactly. I didn't want to make people feel guilty about their problems but I don't like when anyone, veterans especially, normalize substance abuse. It's a huge problem with young people, and a bigger problem for veterans. Younger, more dumbass readers of this forum may read the old salty dogs saying various shades of "blacking out is ok" and ignore incipient problems.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's all fun and games until you have a seizure.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm aware of what he said, I was again, hyperbolizing a broad range of quibbles with counselor two shoes sentiments, while those replies illustrated the problem the counselor was trying to elucidate.

Exactly. I didn't want to make people feel guilty about their problems but I don't like when anyone, veterans especially, normalize substance abuse. It's a huge problem with young people, and a bigger problem for veterans. Younger, more dumbass readers of this forum may read the old salty dogs saying various shades of "blacking out is ok" and ignore incipient problems.

lol younger more dumbass readers of this forum?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Lowtax's still getting money from somewhere.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Your not wrong, but I'm hopeful that most Gippers are cautionary tales instead of inspirational tales when it comes to substance abuse.

I hope.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tastefully arranged labia posted:

It's all fun and games until you have a seizure.

Never had a seizure but I just couldn't take the shame of it anymore

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I made mistakes in the Army because I didn't read this forum.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

p sure the post you're referring to was just mocking some counselor at Booze Camp, not a licensed psychologist, who said getting blackout drunk twice in your life means you're an alcoholic, which seems like it's overstating the case even to someone who's never blacked out.

now, the fact that this person was in rehab to begin with would tend to indicate that they're an alcoholic and maybe the well-meaning twit was just trying to convince them using alternative facts

He was an MD, not a social worker.

There's a long complicated story about how I ended up in rehab and it has very little to do with substance abuse and was more about me being a flight risk with no command and control over me. Let's just say rehab was a means to an end and was the first time I saw someone in a command position actually be smart about working the system.

I hate alcohol and get its very rare that I drink and has been rare since I got drunk for the first time when I was 17.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 19, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

my kinda ape posted:

:thejoke:

The fact that you consider Boones to be actual wine at all is...disturbing. And I like Boones!

Yeah I was just kidding when I mentioned it. It was fun in college to drink it down a bit and then add Hennessey.

I'm still an idiot, just with more sophisticated tastes.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/punkproletarian/status/912065310232072192

https://twitter.com/punkproletarian/status/912414218762285056

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/09/26/west-point-responds-to-tweets-of-cadet-with-che-guevara-tee-under-uniform/

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Prior enlisted infantryman who decides to commission is dumb as rocks, news at eleven.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Naked Bear posted:

Prior enlisted infantryman who decides to commission via West Point is dumb as rocks, news at eleven.

Everyone in his chain who signed off on his application is facepalming hardcore right now.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

DSA technically isn't a political party so therefore he isn't promoting a political party while in uniform. Checkmate :smuggo:

I'll take my honorary law degree now.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure getfiscal used to be an SA mod

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Aaand now we find out that he's not just an idiot, but a piece of poo poo, as well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

To be fair, that's a really nice way to throw away your Fourth of July tablecloth.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
His career I'd hosed but I do admire the way he went out

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I hear the pkk is always hiring.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hear the pkk is always hiring.

nice

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that guy is a loving moron and I hope he loses his commission

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if it wasn't for the factg that he was prior enlisted I might think this was a masterstroke by a dude that wanted a free degree but didn't want to actually serve.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

if it wasn't for the factg that he was prior enlisted I might think this was a masterstroke by a dude that wanted a free degree but didn't want to actually serve.

But it won't(f) be free(e).

e: looks like about $175k

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 27, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

joat mon posted:

But it won't(f) be free(e).

Took the post right out from under my fingers. Except you put more effort in.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

If you can't make your service obligation after commissioning, they will find a way to get you. Money or enlistment. When a fellow ROTC cadet dropped out of college, they made her enlist.

Don't forget everyone, this poo poo is entirely political and changes with the tides. When I was in and Iraq was going full swing (er, the second time), peers in my year group were making O2 and O3 despite having DUIs on their record, because ranks were so thin. Felons were being waived so they could enlist.

Back in the day, Colin Powell lost his M9 during a jump, and look where he almost ended up.

edit: apparently it wasn't during a jump, but something even more important: http://articles.latimes.com/2000/dec/17/news/mn-1164

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's almost as if we shouldn't have zero tolerance for people screwing up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zeris posted:

Back in the day, Colin Powell lost his M9 during a jump, and look where he almost ended up.

edit: apparently it wasn't during a jump, but something even more important: http://articles.latimes.com/2000/dec/17/news/mn-1164

They didn't crash two helicopters and get a dozen people killed looking for it though.
A different era.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

His career I'd hosed but I do admire the way he went out

:same:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

canyoneer posted:

They didn't crash two helicopters and get a dozen people killed looking for it though.
A different era.

Like literally dropping a sensitive item into a literal quagmire and going “well we better keep trying until the public is tired of watching us try and the economy has gotten back on its feet. But no sooner.”

Zeris fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 28, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its not really surprising that an unironically earnest commie is a mouthbreathing retard

Sergeant_Zeno
Jul 3, 2002

Moist von Lipwig posted:

God I wish archive search worked, it'd be awesome to track down the original posts for that but the earliest I can find are https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782665&pagenumber=157&perpage=40#post463890807

e: gently caress http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Sergeant+Zeno

My apologies for the late response, but someone pointed out this thread to me this morning.

I reckon I can confirm it for you. I've been absent for several years, but I'm still a goon.

SgtZeno

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Sergeant_Zeno posted:

My apologies for the late response, but someone pointed out this thread to me this morning.

I reckon I can confirm it for you. I've been absent for several years, but I'm still a goon.

SgtZeno

Quoted for posterity.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sergeant_Zeno posted:

SgtZeno

prank post

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sergeant_Zeno posted:

SgtZeno

Sergeant_Zeno
Jul 3, 2002

Not a prank.

And I have proof!

SgtZeno

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sergeant_Zeno posted:

Not a prank.

And I have proof!

SgtZeno

I wont take anything less than you Tea-bagging Senator Ted Cruz's doorknob as proof.

Sergeant_Zeno
Jul 3, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I wont take anything less than you Tea-bagging Senator Ted Cruz's doorknob as proof.

Aww...that might get me famous if I did that. But it would give me great satisfaction.

All I have is my uniform and some crappy old pictures of me in Djibouti and a lovely link:
http://tinypic.com/r/2zdvthy/9

SgtZeno

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Check that reg date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
he's no IDR