Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Budget Dracula posted:

i feel like no amount of prepping is going to save anyone from a real doomsday scenario.

I don't know about that. The ultra rich are like... really loving rich now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

My political and economic IQ is admittedly low so someone help me out here- one argument I've always heard against raising the corporate tax rate is that businesses will leave the US and set up shop elsewhere where the rate is lower. That's mostly bullshit, right? I've always understood that America has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world, but I also know that there are offshore shell companies or whatever that can play into that. Someone explain this line of reasoning to me assuming that it isn't crap.

1. if the businesses leave we'll just make new ones to replace them. same with rich people. if they go galt we'll just shrug and someone else will take over the resultant vacuum

2. good luck finding skilled workers in somalia or kyrgyzstan or wherever you end up

3. right, many businesses are already cheating our corporate taxes. this is why one of trump's core policies during the campaign was to repatriate all offshoring businesses as part of a tax holiday

4. kill the rich for killing our future

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

"it's clear from the autopsy that a lack of exercise and diet heavy in polonium contributed to an early demise"

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

:trumppop:
THE RUSKIES ARE TRAINING ORCAS TO gently caress WITH U.S. FISHERS

go on

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

whoa

:drat:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/913146238022938624

she had no idea megyn now hosted that hour

lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

C-Euro posted:

My political and economic IQ is admittedly low so someone help me out here- one argument I've always heard against raising the corporate tax rate is that businesses will leave the US and set up shop elsewhere where the rate is lower. That's mostly bullshit, right? I've always understood that America has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world, but I also know that there are offshore shell companies or whatever that can play into that. Someone explain this line of reasoning to me assuming that it isn't crap.

all the ones that could have done this mostly already have, and the high-paying sectors of our economy stay here for the highly educated workforce

there's plenty you can do legally to discourage companies from leaving but the largest companies already don't pay any taxes at all due to a massive variety of loopholes

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

brugroffil posted:

all cable news is bad

she has bad episodes, but she's the only one who puts in effort most of the time. she good.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a painting, not a book

i didn't want to google to find the name of the manga that did a dramatic recreation of it

but i guarantee it exists

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

C-Euro posted:

it's crap op

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

:umberto:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/O2MXnA0.gifv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nichael posted:

in this formulation a "real doomsday scenario" is oxygen collapse. if you started building right now you could probably create something that'd outlast that but at that point you're just building Fallout vaults

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/913129578184441859

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

all the ones that could have done this mostly already have, and the high-paying sectors of our economy stay here for the highly educated workforce

there's plenty you can do legally to discourage companies from leaving but the largest companies already don't pay any taxes at all due to a massive variety of loopholes

you'd never know it given how much they whine

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
clown law is bonkers

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

why post anything

The forums are dead. Long live the forums!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

no one will remember her in a month anyway

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Nichael posted:

Yeah but I'm talking like crop failures or a "The Road" type catastrophe.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

transfer control of the military to the Internal Revenue Service and unleash them onto all the rich people who are evading and cheating taxes

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Nichael posted:

"prepping" for the ultra rich means "buying some extra houses and maybe an island thats way above sea level"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Koalas March posted:

The forums are dead. Long live the forums!

finally, a post-post america

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

a bad assistant. shameful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Budget Dracula posted:

Yeah but I'm talking like crop failures or a "The Road" type catastrophe.

like I said earlier, bill gates and zuckerberg are probably rich enough to build an actual arcology but they'd have to start right now because some of these nastier doomsday scenarios are projected to come around within a decade

anyone poorer than ten digits probably doesn't have enough wealth and influence to build something that could survive, much less hold out long enough for the disaster to subside and repopulate

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/io9/status/913141734019883010

gmo is good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've got £850 worth of bbq equipment sitting ready to be bought on a bbq site and i'm trying to work up the courage to actually buy it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

megan mullally's expression is funny here, she looks pretty grossed out

Internet Webguy posted:

"prepping" for the ultra rich means "buying some extra houses and maybe an island thats way above sea level"

yeah, that's not what I meant though. I mean they have the means now to do bizarre and outlandish borderline sci-fi poo poo. It wouldn't be a good existence, but I think some people could pull it off if things go to hell. I could easily be wrong though.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/913135489703665665

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

oh good, more nazis to replace the lesser nazis

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"I didn't think the monster would attack ME" says Dr. Frankenstein

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gringostar posted:

how many does this make now?

this guy, the old guy in chicago, plus the ones that were purged/disappeared in russia right after the election?

why would this guy be poloniumed?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

lol who could have cultivated such a legacy of intense hatred
???/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
CNN has some good hosts (Keilar, Baldwin, Cooper, a few others) that are completely wasted on a poo poo format.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Listening to Preet Bahara's podcast, and :lol: he might have been fired because he didn't return a call to Trump.

He got swept out with all the Obama appointees, but Trump had personally asked him to stay on after the election. As president-elect, Trump called him a couple of times just to shoot the poo poo. After the inauguration, he tried to call again, and Bahara told him it wasn't appropriate because of guidelines about contact. The next day Bahara got a call asking for a letter of resignation.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
turns out i've been in a lot of cults

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

zegermans posted:

"I didn't think the monster would attack ME" says Dr. Frankenstein

Dracula is antifa, pass it on

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

the GOP civil war we were all expecting after they lose 2016 is happening after they won 2016

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Yinlock posted:

you'd never know it given how much they whine

corps got to repatriate their offshore wealth in 2002 or so at some extra-low special rate of around 10% after begging for it for years so they could invest in workers and other job creationy nonsense

they brought billions of dollars back into the US and used them to give gigantic bonuses to their executives

i imagine they would like to do this again

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/johnmyers/status/913141998063726592

also this came up (re: cnn)

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/913097429649694722
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/913146944968634369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science