Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

C-Euro posted:

My political and economic IQ is admittedly low so someone help me out here- one argument I've always heard against raising the corporate tax rate is that businesses will leave the US and set up shop elsewhere where the rate is lower. That's mostly bullshit, right? I've always understood that America has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world, but I also know that there are offshore shell companies or whatever that can play into that. Someone explain this line of reasoning to me assuming that it isn't crap.

the actual tax rate which makes corporations leave is actually really high, the US while having high nominal tax rates have one of the lower effective tax rates in the world due to many many loopholes and exemptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

Gluten free. Non GMO Avacado GMO Organic Free Trade Toast

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Surely CENTRISTS will stop the rising tide of far right candidates

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

What's weird is the cops knew the woman rented a clown costume, got a cake from publix 90 minutes before the murder, was almost certainly banging the victim's husband, and had easy access to various vehicles. No case for 20 years, though.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Vishass posted:

What's weird is the cops knew the woman rented a clown costume, got a cake from publix 90 minutes before the murder, was almost certainly banging the victim's husband, and had easy access to various vehicles. No case for 20 years, though.

cops are lazy as poo poo

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Internet Webguy posted:

twitter videos have ads now

it's like they want people not to use it

i think investors are starting to question the whole "doesn't turn a profit ever" thing. one day twitter is going to disappear like vine

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If global climate change alone makes things worse for 30 years straight, even if Democrats get into office to try to fix it, as strong as the pendulum effect is now, it'll be even stronger in a world where "are you better off than you were 8 years ago?" is no longer the question people should be asking to determine if the president's doing a good job with the situation at hand

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Vishass posted:

she was white so why would they put in the effort

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

none of the people on a 'gluten free' diet will buy this because it's gmo bread

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Typo posted:

the GOP civil war we were all expecting after they lose 2016 is happening after they won 2016

Both parties are on fire and it's great.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

i don't hate trump because he's white

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
All horseshoe theorists should have a real horseshoe tossed into their teeth, like and share if you agree

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

none of the people on a 'gluten free' diet will buy this because it's gmo bread

People with actual celiac disease will probably appreciate it though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol Russians are killing people in the us

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

lol Russians are killing people in the us

Can't wait for Trump to call Putin to apologize that all those people had to be killed by them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

Surely CENTRISTS will stop the rising tide of far right candidates

Hindenburg Trump was elected in 1925 2016 and was incredibly bumbling and incompetent while Hitler Bannon was rallying fascists to join the Nazi Grand Old Party and Communists were seeing a similarly large explosion in enrollment

quote:

In private, Hindenburg often complained to his associates that he missed the quiet of his retirement and bemoaned that he had allowed himself to be pressured into running for president. He carped that politics was full of issues such as economics that he did not understand, and did not want to. He was surrounded by a coterie of advisers antipathetic to the Weimar constitution. These advisers included his son Oskar, Wilhelm Groener, Otto Meißner, and General Kurt von Schleicher. This group were known as the Kamarilla. The younger Hindenburg served as his father's aide-de-camp and controlled politicians' access to the President, enjoying far more power than what his position would suggest, making him into "the constitutionally unforeseen son of the President".

in 1932, a literal centrist coalition decided to vote Hindenburg back into power, saying that the alternative (Hitler) was so much worse than having an incompetent demented idiot as president

quote:

Hindenburg was persuaded to run by the Kamarilla, and supported by the Centre Party, the DVP and the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), which regarded him as the only hope of defeating Hitler.

a year later, Hindenburg awards the chancellorship to Hitler and signs the Enabling Act

the rest is history

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

why would this guy be poloniumed?

yeah, i don't think this guy knew anything about anything, he just hit on a way to make sweet ad revenue from idiots and the destruction of american democracy was just a side effect he even seems to slightly regret

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i've got £850 worth of bbq equipment sitting ready to be bought on a bbq site and i'm trying to work up the courage to actually buy it

bbq gear is not an expense, it is an investment

think of all the money you'll save smoking your own briskets

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Will CNN die like G4 did? Playing back to back episodes of Cheaters and Cops?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

PostNouveau posted:

People with actual celiac disease will probably appreciate it though.

thats just a hallucination caused by eating too many carbs

THS
Sep 15, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hindenburg Trump was elected in 1925 2016 and was incredibly bumbling and incompetent while Hitler Bannon was rallying fascists to join the Nazi Grand Old Party and Communists were seeing a similarly large explosion in enrollment

in 1932, a literal centrist coalition decided to vote Hindenburg back into power, saying that the alternative (Hitler) was so much worse than having an incompetent demented idiot as president

a year later, Hindenburg awards the chancellorship to Hitler and signs the Enabling Act

the rest is history

this isn't how things are going to go but i agree with the sentiment. it'll happen in some other insanely stupid way that we can't conceive of because geohell

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Vishass posted:

20 years to stop laughing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Typo posted:

the actual tax rate which makes corporations leave is actually really high, the US while having high nominal tax rates have one of the lower effective tax rates in the world due to many many loopholes and exemptions

so what you're saying is republicans are trying to lower tax rates that only look high :thunk:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Jose posted:

i've got £850 worth of bbq equipment sitting ready to be bought on a bbq site and i'm trying to work up the courage to actually buy it

bbq equipment? or a grill?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Nothing wrong with looking high

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Internet Webguy posted:

twitter videos have ads now

it's like they want people not to use it

For a long time I asked "but how do they make money?" when reading anything about Twitter. Corporations have realized from Microsoft's "embrace, extend, extinguish" strategy that giving away a product for free and then starting to charge once you've secured market dominance is a viable strategy, and they seek to apply it to social media. When it comes time to start putting ads on the site, people aren't having any of it and they leave for a newer site, but investors haven't figured that out yet. It's a tulip craze where people are buying it because they think they can con bigger fools into buying it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mormonpartyboat posted:

bbq equipment? or a grill?

Broil king keg 2000 + cover + gloves

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jose posted:

what happened to your av??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

galenanorth posted:

For a long time I asked "but how do they make money?" when reading anything about Twitter. Corporations have realized from Microsoft's "embrace, extend, extinguish" strategy that giving away a product for free and then starting to charge once you've secured market dominance is a viable strategy, and they seek to apply it to social media. When it comes time to start putting ads on the site, people aren't having any of it and they leave for a newer site, but investors haven't figured that out yet. It's a tulip craze where people are buying it because they think they can con bigger fools into buying it.

As much as I dislike Twitter it's going to be bad when it collapses because we're losing a very valuable conduit from journalists/scientists/average people relaying breaking news to the rest of us

I really can't imagine any other platform being as good at that as Twitter is. There's always going to be too much garbage clogging it up

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/913149370421219328

it's a good question

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
donald trump's america

https://i.imgur.com/7IRFjgy.gifv

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

brugroffil posted:

what happened to your av??

I won a prize off lowtax

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If everyone promised not to ask questions they could take every country off the banned list and Ol' Smoothy would never notice.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Typo posted:

the GOP civil war we were all expecting after they lose 2016 is happening after they won 2016

I think it was Taibbi who said something like "the GOP can survive Trump losing, but they can't survive Trump winning"

the only catch is that none of us will survive

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

I'll take a dozen free range avocados, please

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Just toss em over the wall

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zen death robot posted:

actually you really were voted worst fucker ever

Proof that I've had sex though

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate is currently voting on the confirmation of Makan Delrahim to lead the antitrust division of the justice department.

He is current deputy White House counsel. Prior to that he was a lobbyist for Comcast, Google, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Johnson & Johnson, and Ultimate Fighting Championship.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

The Senate is currently voting on the confirmation of Makan Delrahim to lead the antitrust division of the justice department.

He is current deputy White House counsel. Prior to that he was a lobbyist for Comcast, Google, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Johnson & Johnson, and Ultimate Fighting Championship.

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

assume the full username cut off in that tweet is @reactionarymoron

• Locked thread