Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The 2/3 that gave your creatures hexproof was a reluctant 23rd card while the 1/1 that gave your creatures deathtouch was a format-warping card because there was so little removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Arena stream recap

- closed beta starts in November, will be under NDA for the first wave
- Designed to completly free to play. There are modes without entry fees
- There might be cosmetics that can only be bought with money
- Doubled down on "no trading", "we have MTGO for that"
- They are working on ways to make it easy to create decks (presumably without grinding or opening packs)
- Kind of confirmed 8 player "pro tour" style drafts. Called it a "core" feature.
- An email is going out next week to let you know that you are in the beta priority queue
- Dev talked about game where they had over 200 creatures in play at once
- Cant turn off animations
- The first wave of the beta will be only Ixalan, as the beta phases progress they will add the sets back to Kaladesh.
- Said they have plans for when sets rotate out of standard but didnt get into specifics. Sounded like a possible new format starting with Kaladesh?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hellsau posted:

It's pretty amazing that in AVR a 2/4 Flying Lifelink for four mana was like the fifth best common somehow. There was some dumb poo poo at common and uncommon, and there was also a whole lot of blanks, AND the rares were mostly either unplayables or game enders.

I'd much rather play Masques draft than AVR.

Well yeah, a full Masques block draft only involves a single pack of Prophecy, which was the real stinker.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LGD posted:

Well yeah, a full Masques block draft only involves a single pack of Prophecy, which was the real stinker.

I'd rather play 3x Prophecy draft than ever touch Avacyn Restored again.

e: assuming we'd play with mana burn with Prophecy otherwise a large percentage of the cards don't function anymore.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tainen posted:

Arena stream recap

- closed beta starts in November, will be under NDA for the first wave
- Designed to completly free to play. There are modes without entry fees
- There might be cosmetics that can only be bought with money
- Doubled down on "no trading", "we have MTGO for that"
- They are working on ways to make it easy to create decks (presumably without grinding or opening packs)
- Kind of confirmed 8 player "pro tour" style drafts. Called it a "core" feature.
- An email is going out next week to let you know that you are in the beta priority queue
- Dev talked about game where they had over 200 creatures in play at once
- Cant turn off animations
- The first wave of the beta will be only Ixalan, as the beta phases progress they will add the sets back to Kaladesh.
- Said they have plans for when sets rotate out of standard but didnt get into specifics. Sounded like a possible new format starting with Kaladesh?

Wizards getting all ready to Follow The Professor's Guidelines: Do NOT add Modern and the like formats so you increase your audience.

"We have MTGO for that" is a nauseating sentence.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

It presumes MTGO is a quality program for high-level play, instead of an under-funded wasteland.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Count Bleck posted:

Wizards getting all ready to Follow The Professor's Guidelines: Do NOT add Modern and the like formats so you increase your audience.

Would bet money that the rules engine only implements a standard leaning subset and that they really don't want to put their apparent ai approach to the test on the history of mtg

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rides Naked posted:

Would bet money that the rules engine only implements a standard leaning subset and that they really don't want to put their apparent ai approach to the test on the history of mtg

I don't want to put any intelligence, artificial or no, to figure out Opalescence, Humility, Chains of Mephistopholes, Sylvan Library + Brainstorm...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sylvan Library + Brainstorm is simple.

Call a judge.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

the obvious solution is to not make bad cards but thats some galaxy brain level poo poo

or just have lots of answers. when your opponent can actually neutralize stuff then it actually matters what your third and fourth best card do (this was the one good thing about BFZ). a lot of the games I've played so far I feel like we could have just laid out our opening hands to figure out who won. oh I have ramp and that dinosaur that can make a 4/4 every turn and you don't have any early pressure. ggwp, on to game two.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

*a bunch of smart executive types in suits thinking really hard* we should eliminate all the features people like but keep the 20-minute waiting times

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rides Naked posted:

I'm sure anything regarding AI is completely overstated. At best they have something that recognizes templates and auto fills as much card functionality as it can which saves them time on french vanillas and poo poo.

Really what it is is that they have a certain amount of dev budget and it doesn't make sense to spend much of it implementing backwards more than they have to, at first.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the reason this is ixalan only and will "eventually" add in the rest of standard is that i am willing to bet this can only handle whatever keywords are in ixalan and they're still working on other standard set interactions not breaking anything.

this isnt remotely done so dont assume this is policy, altho failure in making things work will let them extend this and pretend it was policy all along

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The older standard cards are already in but all the polishing has been done using the Ixalan cards. They talked on the stream about playing a cat deck and making 200 tokens by having three Anointed Procession in play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hang on a sec- if the long-standing argument for why MODO sucks is that they don't have the staff or budget to actually make it good, then who is developing Arena and with what money? Did I miss a third-party developer collab or something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Again, even if they expect arena to totally replace MTGO they aren't going to loving tell us right now. They are going to keep the facade going because MTGO is still something people spend money on. They aren't going to touch the MTGO valve until Arena is printing money.

I am just laughing at the logic that MTGO is still going to be a thing just on the money they spend on developer maintenance alone. I am sure they already have a set in mind that will be the last mtgo released set.

C-Euro posted:

Hang on a sec- if the long-standing argument for why MODO sucks is that they don't have the staff or budget to actually make it good, then who is developing Arena and with what money? Did I miss a third-party developer collab or something?

Modo sucks so much that it they don't have the budget to turn it into something good at this point. Starting over from scratch is cheaper and easily in the long term. The only people who lose out are the poeple stuck holding the bag for mtgo collections.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 27, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Modo has been in maintenance mode for a long time. All they've done in two years is leagues, chests, and new sets...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

yes that is curious, that conflicting info would suggest we are being lied to about by wotc.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Again, even if they expect arena to totally replace MTGO they aren't going to loving tell us right now. They are going to keep the facade going because MTGO is still something people spend money on. They aren't going to touch the MTGO valve until Arena is printing money.

A good way to turn people off from your New Money Machine is to say very assuming statements like "we have mtgo for that" when you didn't need to say those words.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

little munchkin posted:

*a bunch of smart executive types in suits thinking really hard* we should eliminate all the features people like but keep the 20-minute waiting times

Arena is gonna be bad solely because Wizards never have any idea what the heck they're doing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

their incompetence is really just a side effect of greed and not like actual completely enveloping incompetence, although i gather a decent amount of that comes from the toy company

edit: like i know for a fact people who were willing and capable of enacting change got frustrated with an inability to actually be allowed to do stuff and left

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The set would be awful if everything was just kinda bad though

Hey, Tempest block was great!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

one of the biggest limitations with mtgo is legacy cards. any improvement they make to the rules engine or user interface has to handle weird mechanics like storm and dredge, and weird old cards like oubliette and chains of mephistopholes. that's a massive addition to the scope of any project and would require tons more work from designers, graphics people, software testers, user interface testers, etc.

nowadays sets are designed with software interfaces/backends in mind so things are a lot easier

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Sickening posted:

Fatal push is now being mass counterfeited by the major Chinese retailers. Be on the lookout in trades.

I don't really follow the fake market at all, but this is the first I've heard of cards with the holo stamp being produced. Are they outright producing a convincing stamp, or just printing it on and hoping nobody will notice?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

C-Euro posted:

There's nothing conflicting here; MODO's development has always been bad and digging through the lovely garbage code is extremely time-consuming, expensive and requires programmers of a caliber above what working on a dumpster fire is ever going to attract. Using modern tools to build a game from the ground up is much less taxing.

To use a real world analogy, a new game is like invading France in ww2. MTGO is like invading russia in ww2 with the same resources.

Newspaper in your shoes sounds oddly like something mtgo devs would do, heh.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

yes that is curious, that conflicting info would suggest we are being lied to about by wotc.

there is a massive difference between investing in a new product that has new potential users, new revenue streams, cross-promotional opportunties, etc. and investing in a product that has established that it's customer base will throw their money at regardless of quality

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

little munchkin posted:

there is a massive difference between investing in a new product that has new potential users, new revenue streams, cross-promotional opportunties, etc. and investing in a product that has established that it's customer base will throw their money at regardless of quality

to me its amusing that this entire paragraph could just be about mtg as a game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Admiral posted:

I don't really follow the fake market at all, but this is the first I've heard of cards with the holo stamp being produced. Are they outright producing a convincing stamp, or just printing it on and hoping nobody will notice?

It's an uncommon, so it doesn't have a stamp.

I've heard they're able to fake a stamp by taking one from another card, but as with all counterfeit stories, it's an urban legend to me until I see a real one. I don't need to worry about counterfeits because I never have a need to trade.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Does everyone suddenly love #mtgfinance now?

*small brain* Human looking to sell bulk rares 64 for 1 tix

*large brain* my favourite magic the gathering interactions are figuring out how many pennies I have left over with each of seven bots

*exploding brain* I'll smash four Star of Extinction into jacedust and craft a Carnage Tyrant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the phrase "some things have free entry" was actually the most sinister of those pull quotes to me

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Admiral posted:

Fatal Push is an uncommon, so no holo.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

PJOmega posted:

Fatal Push is an uncommon, so no holo.

Ugh, of course not. Excuse my brain snap - with the price it fetches it sometimes feels like a rare.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just remember it's exactly hearthstone but with a magic rules engine and card set and every statement they've made about it makes perfect sense.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just remember it's exactly hearthstone but with a magic rules engine and card set and every statement they've made about it makes perfect sense.

So its hearthstone without the bad parts?

Edit: Also free phantom drafts will make me play arena forever

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LordAbaddon posted:

They would but they will 100% NOT be free because that would be leaving money on the table and Hasbro/WotC just can't abide by that.

:capitalism:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cernunnos posted:

They would but they will 100% NOT be free because that would be leaving money on the table and Hasbro/WotC just can't abide by that.

:capitalism:

See the way they should do it is free drafts are phantom but non-phantom drafts are paid that way there is a free mode that you can play without needing to grind anything and still be competitive so that you can avoid that starting out period every digital tcg has where you play budget decks and get stomped by their local equivalent of Jund midrange that inevitably turns people away from the game

but again :capitalism:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The problem with trying to position magic as a direct hearthstone competitor is that games of magic just take so long, and the rules are complicated enough you can't make a UI simple enough for a phone screen. I think they'd be much better served by trying to be "deluxe" hearthstone so to speak than just literally hearthstone

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LordAbaddon posted:

So its hearthstone without the bad parts?

the bad parts about hearthstone are the free to play model. the actual game problems are tertiary to that

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Admiral posted:

Aside from the fact Push doesn't have one, Alpha Investments posted a YouTube video showing some counterfeits with the holo stamp a few months ago. Basically, some counterfeiters are making cards that do, in fact, have a spot of holographic foil on them, but it's laughably bad. Looks cut with scissors/not a clean oval, has random sparkly pattern instead of the planeswalker symbol, and just doesn't really pass for genuine if you give it more than a casual glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Lone Goat posted:

Does everyone suddenly love #mtgfinance now?

I spent a dollar on 64 copies of Insult // Injury. Holding this position makes be feel strong.