Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm surprised how many people are still unfamiliar with league cadence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

J posted:

Do you have vaal pact yet? Cloaked in savagery+Vaal pact is what makes berserker so good right now. You want to have a cast on damage taken + bladefall + a fast hitting spell (firestorm, blade vortex, something like that) setup, with the cast on damage taken gem being leveled to the point where it activates at 15% of your HP, aka every savage hit. Berserker's already got good leech so you don't need warlord's mark. The main things that can kill you are 1 shots and damage over time effects that don't trigger cloaked in savagery. Or lots of little hits that also don't trigger cloaked in savagery. If cloaked in savagery is active, then your cwdt setup will heal you for a ton by itself, nevermind the healing from actually hitting stuff with dark pact yourself.

I'm guessing the problem is you either don't have vaal pact yet, or aren't getting hit hard enough to trigger cloaked in savagery so you're still losing hp from incoming damage and dark pact's health loss. You can actually activate cloaked on demand by using a doedre's elixir, assuming your chaos resist is -50% or worse. Later on once you get aspect of carnage (10% increased damage taken) you won't need to have chaos resist quite that low to still have the doedre's elixir work that way. Plus if you're going fast it will keep you stocked on all 3 charges which is nice.

Thanks for the write-up. :)
I basically have most of these things done, but I am fairly sure it's a combination of:
- Low'ish damage
- No Savage Hit
- Reduced leech on bosses

If you combine them, they amplify eachother, which might explain it?
I just did some mini-boss with Atziri's flask, a life leech gem (so even lower damage) and it was at least doable with a portal or two.
I probably need to get a lot more damage (maybe already invest in a 6L), levels (picking more chaos damage nodes) and then gem levels as well.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm surprised how many people are still unfamiliar with league cadence.

Could you elaborate on this? I've only played this league, so I don't really have any context.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

sometimes I wonder if Mathil quietly stockpiles uniques he knows he's about to blow up and then unloads them for huge profits. he'd almost be stupid not to

Yeah I used to think that, but in reality the truth is much more grim. He actually posted about this on Reddit not to long ago, and reading it definitely made me feel for him. He literally hates the "Mathil effect" and despises the people who knowingly seek profit from it. He even goes as far as downplaying certain uniques so that people don't automatically jack the prices.

Thinking about it though, it makes sense. His viewer base is new players who don't understand how to properly balance resists/damages across your entire gear set, so that you can get all the things you need for the cheapest possible amount. Instead, they just look at his guides piece by piece and try to copy what he has EXACTLY. when they can't find what he has, their first reaction is to spam chat/forums aboht how it's just another multi-exalt build.

I noticed the same thing with a lot of wanders, trying to copy the guides EXACTLY. that's how I managed to sell a few lovely flakes for 25-50c.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

NofrikinfuN posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I've only played this league, so I don't really have any context.

Leagues last about 3 months with ~2 weeks before the next league, possibly with some filler race league during that break. Harbinger end on Nov 27, so next league should be mid-December.

I think the snark comes from the fact that it's easy to burn out on a league and right about now is when people start dropping out. This is why I'm glad leagues aren't any longer.

vvv Oh, that. Yeah, good point.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 27, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NofrikinfuN posted:

Big expansions get calm leagues so the attention is on the expansion, and not the league. Following updates are minor, so they get an in your face league to generate influx of content. This time should be even more fun since GGG have promised another expansion for December (likely lost cuts of Oriath).

With this expansion being extremely large, and targeting fresh players such as yourself, it was especially predictable that the league will be calm and will not significantly interfere with the base game.

Still though, imagining average redditor, there are going to be mountains of salt next league too. Lots of people want another Breach, Legacy, or Perandus league, and GGG are far from stupid enough to repeat those mistakes.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 27, 2017

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Leagues last about 3 months with ~2 weeks before the next league, possibly with some filler race league during that break. Harbinger end on Nov 27, so next league should be mid-December.

I think the snark comes from the fact that it's easy to burn out on a league and right about now is when people start dropping out. This is why I'm glad leagues aren't any longer.

Oh, thanks.

I gotta admit, if my life wasn't currently a shambles, I might be flaming out about now. I hit 24 challenges and there's not much chance I will be able to do Uber Atziri or Shaper, so aside from trying new builds, I'm low on goals.

On the other hand, these Facebreakers are totally my jam, so I might build a Berserker or Slayer next. :black101:

Voids
Sep 5, 2006
Would like an invite to the guild if there is any room currently.

Character Name: BigLogDog

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Big expansions get calm leagues so the attention is on the expansion, and not the league. Following updates are minor, so they get an in your face league to generate influx of content. This time should be even more fun since GGG have promised another expansion for December (likely lost cuts of Oriath).

With this expansion being extremely large, and targeting fresh players such as yourself, it was especially predictable that the league will be calm and will not significantly interfere with the base game.

Still though, imagining average redditor, there are going to be mountains of salt next league too. Lots of people want another Breach, Legacy, or Perandus league, and GGG are far from stupid enough to repeat those mistakes.

yes, clearly the leagues that people enjoyed the most were the mistakes. more ambush and talisman tier leagues are the only answer

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I guess I'm curious to hear the argument for those leagues being bad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jazerus posted:

yes, clearly the leagues that people enjoyed the most were the mistakes. more ambush and talisman tier leagues are the only answer

People are dumb, news at 11. Perandus killed economy almost instantly, and Breach/Legacy were so dense with mobs and loot that GGG are now biting themselves in the dick due to people getting so used to it. Pushing more of the same or beyond will just generate more long term problems, so they will be scaling down and enduring backlash from the average player in the process.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

10bux posted:

Yeah I used to think that, but in reality the truth is much more grim. He actually posted about this on Reddit not to long ago, and reading it definitely made me feel for him. He literally hates the "Mathil effect" and despises the people who knowingly seek profit from it. He even goes as far as downplaying certain uniques so that people don't automatically jack the prices.

Thinking about it though, it makes sense. His viewer base is new players who don't understand how to properly balance resists/damages across your entire gear set, so that you can get all the things you need for the cheapest possible amount. Instead, they just look at his guides piece by piece and try to copy what he has EXACTLY. when they can't find what he has, their first reaction is to spam chat/forums aboht how it's just another multi-exalt build.

I noticed the same thing with a lot of wanders, trying to copy the guides EXACTLY. that's how I managed to sell a few lovely flakes for 25-50c.

Aww, that's kind of a bummer. That could explain why he usually tries to give alternative uniques and whatnot in his builds.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Has GGG ever entertained the possibility of a numbered sequel or clean slate? As a new player one thing that struck me is how many remnants of past leagues and expansions there are.

Speaking of Perandus, is it worth turning that mod on from time to time, or would you have to hit the lottery to get anything worthwhile out of Cadiro?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People are dumb, news at 11. Perandus killed economy almost instantly, and Breach/Legacy were so dense with mobs and loot that GGG are now biting themselves in the dick due to people getting so used to it. Pushing more of the same or beyond will just generate more long term problems, so they will be scaling down and enduring backlash from the average player in the process.

drat poors need to know their place! One can not truly have without the not haves.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

crank up the mobs to breach-era levels permanently and make leagues change mechanics but not change mob density

NofrikinfuN posted:

Has GGG ever entertained the possibility of a numbered sequel or clean slate? As a new player one thing that struck me is how many remnants of past leagues and expansions there are.

Speaking of Perandus, is it worth turning that mod on from time to time, or would you have to hit the lottery to get anything worthwhile out of Cadiro?

its far far far too late for perandus unless you're a lotto winner

early in the league (first 1-2 weeks) you can get league specific items and walk away with a ton of ex

lmao @ numbered sequel or clean slate, no they haven't and they won't

Duck and Cover posted:

drat poors need to know their place! One can not truly have without the not haves.

you sure are dumb

it really sucks having items worth anything, I wish every unique cost 1c that's the key to a really FUN game

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm guessing they wont, since they make their money off of MTX instead of selling a new release and cutting off people from their previously bought MTX would be suicide. Also it would make them far more money to just release new expansions instead of a sequel. The crazy feature bloat is the case with most games that are F2P (team fortress 2 anyone?).

At most what I could see them doing is continuing to retire underused mechanics like Rampage and Tempest and continuing to clean up the systems under the hood, as well as continue with graphical upgrades.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

crank up the mobs to breach-era levels permanently and make leagues change mechanics but not change mob density

its far far far too late for perandus unless you're a lotto winner

early in the league (first 1-2 weeks) you can get league specific items and walk away with a ton of ex

lmao @ numbered sequel or clean slate, no they haven't and they won't

you sure are dumb

it really sucks having items worth anything, I wish every unique cost 1c that's the key to a really FUN game

Yeah Perandus was awful people having stuff that they didn't earn gently caress man! At least it had wealth distributors making sure people with good Cadiro deals didn't waste them.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I wonder how they're going to do expansions now that the main storyline is complete? Multiple endgame epilogues? Like you can do maps, OR this other area with quests in it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah Perandus was awful people having stuff that they didn't earn gently caress man! At least it had wealth distributors making sure people with good Cadiro deals didn't waste them.

if you don't understand why uniques being rare is a good thing then I can't help you man

what is the motivation to keep grinding

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

if you don't understand why uniques being rare is a good thing then I can't help you man

If you don't understand why people enjoy leagues where uniques are less rare then I can't help you.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ye4y5noik deadanddoom just killed izaro in less than 1 hour (ssf race)

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah Perandus was awful

Correct.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

McFrugal posted:

I wonder how they're going to do expansions now that the main storyline is complete? Multiple endgame epilogues? Like you can do maps, OR this other area with quests in it?

I'd guess the December expansion is mostly going to be new and/or revamped maps incorporating versions of the bosses they added in 3.0

After that there'll be an expansion where you have to grind to get four things to put in your map device.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lol if you don't ignore everything he says, hes just a grumpy troll.

Like literally, put that ignore list to use, makes things a lot better.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think it would be fun if for one league i could have a headhunter. the everyone gets a hh league.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Duck and Cover posted:

Duck and Cover posted:

If you don't understand why people enjoy leagues where uniques are less rare then I can't help you.

:iamafag:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Breach was a blast, but it had the downside where it made you feel awful if while leveling you were too weak to handle breachs without dying and sorta forced you to play the kind of build that was min/maxed speed to the max to kill everything in a breach and still open the chests, those were my favorite builds, but I imagine it would of sucked for people who liked a slower pace.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'd guess the December expansion is mostly going to be new and/or revamped maps incorporating versions of the bosses they added in 3.0
I can't wait to not run the Kitava map, heh

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Twinned ghosted kitava will be fun and good

J
Jun 10, 2001

Awesome! posted:

i think it would be fun if for one league i could have a headhunter. the everyone gets a hh league.

This is what I thought legacy league was going to be. Big loving letdown.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, I imagine that next league will be some assortment of previous ones, with an introduction of a bunch of new maps using the new assets from 3.0, and maybe a couple of new extended end game pieces of content that revolve around said maps.

One idea that I think would be cool would be maps inside of maps that stack the modifiers. Sort of like when you meet Zana in a map, it would be possible to have a map device spawn within a map and pop a new one in there that would add the current mods of you map, to the 'next level' map. It would also only be possible to to reach certain end game content by going X levels deep into maps.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Twinned ghosted kitava will be fun and good

Go gently caress yourself for even putting that thought into my head :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I want to resell my Magma Orb specific gear (I've had my fun with it) and convert my inquisitor to using ele converted BV instead. They'd use (more or less) the same sort of passive pathing, I assume?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

J posted:

This is what I thought legacy league was going to be. Big loving letdown.

same

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I want new masters for crafting mods on maps, jewels, and even gems.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Uh, Zana? Being able to apply mods you want onto maps seems like :can:

And what would you craft on gems?

A Jewel crafter would be nice though.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

whypick1 posted:

You want to talk a :can:, add a unique crafter.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

While this might be very true, he's right in this case.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

whypick1 posted:

put mods on gems :getin:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I hate people telling me the obvious faults in the game I play, thus they must be a troll. gently caress off just cause someone has an opinion you do not share does not mean they're trolling. People (possibly the majority who knows) enjoy leagues where things are more attainable, it isn't strange.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Worst league for me was Legacy, I didn't even stick it out for more than a few days before just totally losing interest in the mechanic. It didn't help that reliquary keys were super rare and the chances of actually getting something desirable from them were terribly low.