Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd take the under, there's a ton of new faces and teams with low roster continuity tend to under perform for a bit to start the season. I still think they make the playoffs though. 45 wins is probably about where I'd go.

e: drat, I didn't even see CBM's post. My man :respek:

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Magic fans?!? You do exist! Congratulations on your Juice acquisition. Honestly all you'll need to get through the season is plenty of highlights like these and that's what you're gonna get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvnnczGQdw

I'm such a life long Magic fan that Dwight making GBS threads all over our dumb team forced me into basketball depression to the point of not following the team much until this pre season. I'm back for the suffering! At least we've got some fun guys to watch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

attackmole posted:

Toronto is kind of an exercise in bad timing with respect to the cap jump. I'm glad the core three are locked up, but unless you're a super team that can convince people to to take pay cuts, having eighty million dollars tied up in Derozan/Lowry/Ibaka for the next three years is so limiting to the team flexibility that we're not gonna be able to sign anyone other than bit players. And since this isn't a championship team I think we're just kinda stuck. I mean, second round and conference final exits ain't too bad but I don't see any path for improvement.

The current path is "hope our young guys pan out". Norm, Delon, Pascal, Jakob, OG and Bruno are all going to get significant minutes this year. Hope at least one of them turns out to be good enough to build around in the post lowry/derozan era, otherwise it's tank mode.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://streamable.com/azkxh

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao. Looks just like the Raptors in the playoffs so they're already preparing for the postseason

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This is great.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Disclaimer: I'm clearly no expert on any of this and had been a casual fan last season.

kingcobweb posted:

I have a $100 bet with a friend on Minnesota: I have over 48.5 games, he has under

He thinks it's absolutely comical that Butler will change the team that much, I think that the other players will continue improving and the team wasn't actually as bad as their 31 wins, thoughts??
We lost 9 games that were decided by 3 or fewer points last season. I think we're gonna win all of those games this year cuz:
  • Our bench has improved (it was impossible for it to get worse)
  • Just by adding J. Buckets to the roster, the defense will get better cuz he speaks Thibsian (so does Taj)
  • Brandon Rush won't be starting any basketball games for Minnesota this year
  • The chances of us tanking are 0% (we lost 13 of our last 16 )
Just that alone gets us to 40 wins and we're gonna pick up a lot more if we've got things like "playoff push" floating around (see: Minnesota Twins).

I'm still lukewarm on Wiggins just from his interviews, although I still think he's Good At Basketball. Maybe he'll care more this season, maybe he just wants to get back to his dog and Overwatch :shrug:
lmfao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You didn't even mention adding Teague

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

:lol: local YMCA live stream

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

You didn't even mention adding Teague

Post-Rubio Depression :smith:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I like what Minny did but Teague is the ultimate "make it seem like you made an upgrade to the roster without actually doing so" player

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They got a 1st rounder out of it, at least

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/HopToonPodcast/status/912775345060945925

:allears:

I'm here for this Kyrie.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Man, gently caress LeBron. I never liked that guy.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahah he's really growing on me

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

drat, Kyrie is really coming off like a jilted lover in this whole situation

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
It's hilarious how much Kyrie clearly does not like LeBron. Petty af

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm guessing he did not actually say that

Edit: yeah it's fake

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
LeBron was actually talking about Wade blowing bubbles in chocolate milk and Kyrie doesn't drink chocolate milk so

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Honestly I didn't mention Teague cuz I wasn't sure whether he was gonna do a whole lot more for the team than Rubio did.

Thought about it a little more and looked at some stats.

Rubio's NBA career: 6 years
Teague's: 8

Teague brings a lot of playoff experience (never missed the playoffs), has twice the number of career points as Ricky, and has just a few more assists. Teague's assists per game will likely move slightly up considering all the scoring around him, he's obviously a stronger 3-threat than Rubio ever was (or perhaps will be) which has all kinds of implications, but he's gonna be a net positive, for sure.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about Muhammed. That dude coming back (and saving us $40ish million in the process) is fun for me cuz he's slimmed down a bit and according the first-day-back reports, he's putting in a lot more effort than he ever has.

AND we have a freshly-renovated home court!

Gonna be a fun season, I'm thinking 50 wins. :smug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

morestuff posted:

Facts don't matter

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron is a 45 year old mom, Wade is the eldest son who has a nice job at a bank and a wife and kid on the way, and Kyrie is the resentful son who didn't go to college, works at the mall, and lives at home

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teague can shoot 3s

He's gonna be a huge help for a team that plays a traditional power forward

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

morestuff posted:

It's not fake to me.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Facts don't matter

Jota posted:

It's not fake to me.

My dudes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The couple of bricked layups near the middle really make it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm such a life long Magic fan that Dwight making GBS threads all over our dumb team forced me into basketball depression to the point of not following the team much until this pre season. I'm back for the suffering! At least we've got some fun guys to watch.

This is a good thread for rehabilitation and learning to love basketball again.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Do you think LeBron is going to show up to all of Kyrie's favorite restaurants with Wade?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Do you think LeBron is going to show up to all of Kyrie's favorite restaurants with Wade?

"Woooow totally didn't expect to see you here. I was just walking around Boston with my new old ex and decided to visit this restaurant you just talked about going to on Facebook, how weeeeeeird"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron is going to host the biggest Christmas party ever and invite the entire NBA

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I hope someone does hire him. So many "15 seconds" jokes the world has yet to hear.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The B_36 posted:

drat, Kyrie is really coming off like a jilted lover in this whole situation

If it were real I'd still probably hold the opinion that Kyrie just hated getting sonned nonstop

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That's extremely not kyries style

Prank idea, basketball rim that subtly shifts around

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh for fucks sake melo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

That's extremely not kyries style

Prank idea, basketball rim that subtly shifts around

Replace all the rims with one of those oval carnival game ones

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'd like to see the spurs do it and have pop there getting increasingly angry at everyone for being loving incompetent

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh for fucks sake melo

Hoodie Melo caught on way better than Hat Melo ever did.

Melo's rebranding so far is successful.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
48.5 for Minnesota is tough. I'd take the over at 45, maybe 46 but no higher than that. I could see them winning 50, but I think they'll have a slow start and at some point they'll need to deal with an injury, which is tougher on teams without a lot of continuity.

euphronius posted:

Teague can shoot 3s

He's gonna be a huge help for a team that plays a traditional power forward

On offense KAT doesn't play a traditional big role and extends the floor just fine. Taj will be in the post (though he is a decent pick and pop guy) and KAT plays from the perimeter in. Teague will help with scoring and having another guy on the floor who can create offense is always nice, especially with the non-starting lineups. But you will lose Rubio's defense, and Teague isn't nearly the creator.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
bring back cornrow melo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Imagine being such a pathetic human being that you've been banned from Twitter like 3 or 4 times :allears:

Wait WHAT?

• Locked thread