Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's an awful disposal method with way too many artifacts left over upon completion

Tidier is to just use the hard drive shredder.

New page, so: A ticket came in from a research hardware vendor troubleshooting their lovely device on one of my client's lab networks. It creates an outbound VPN to the vendor's office through an embedded little router/ipsec device. It thus has an address in vendor's network space.

:phone: "Hey can you ping xyz device at [ip address in vendor's network] from your researcher's laptop?"

:phoneb: "I sure as hell hope not."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Straw poll, only comment if the answer is Agree or Strongly Agree:

I could perform my job without the assistance of search engines like Google and online resources like Stack Overflow/Serverfault

Agree - as long as I had access to Cisco's online documentation I could do my job without any issues. Having internet searches helps a lot.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Straw poll, only comment if the answer is Agree or Strongly Agree:

I could perform my job without the assistance of search engines like Google and online resources like Stack Overflow/Serverfault

No, because every project I take on is using a new technology for me.

I guess as long as I could still use github's search/readthedocs/the project documentation, or find the technologies in the first place I could but it's still a big step backwards. Like I spent several hours yesterday fighting with TCL, that would have gone absolutely nowhere without some elaborate google searching

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Agree. Most of the things I've had to fix are weird one-offs that no one else encountered in the wild, but I won't pretend that a huge part of what I've learned wasn't a result of reverse engineering the work of someone else.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Agree. But I'd be loving miserable.

The times I've had to troubleshoot some ancient end of life software with no documentation have been super frustrating. It's rewarding when you figure things out but the process sucks the life out of you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm not sure how or why Cylance is blocking execution of all .vbs files but by God it is and it is ever annoying.

It really doesn't like visual basic is what I'm learning. Which will be a problem once we roll it out to everyone, ugh.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Visual Basic still exists?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unfortunately. It's rebranded as VB.net now but it's still the same VB we all know and hate.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

SamDabbers posted:

Isn't there a Windows 10: No Bullshit edition? Does the Enterprise SKU get all that crap installed too, or is that only LTSB?

Microsoft has really jumped the shark.

No, Enterprise doesn't come with Minecraft. Or Candycrush.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Visual Basic still exists?
I'm still picking apart all of our many arcane VB login scripts and redoing them in Group Policy. Ask me about trying to map drives that were presented on servers so ancient that even the domains they were on haven't existed for 10 years!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aunt Beth posted:

I'm still picking apart all of our many arcane VB login scripts and redoing them in Group Policy. Ask me about trying to map drives that were presented on servers so ancient that even the domains they were on haven't existed for 10 years!

just recreate the old domain!

presto ipso fucko :agesilaus:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not sure how or why Cylance is blocking execution of all .vbs files but by God it is and it is ever annoying.

It really doesn't like visual basic is what I'm learning. Which will be a problem once we roll it out to everyone, ugh.

Because vbs is how a lot of ransomware works

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MANime in the sheets posted:

How does that work?

You resolve the merge conflict (e.g. https://help.github.com/articles/resolving-a-merge-conflict-using-the-command-line/)and move on with your life. Any version control with branching and merging will do this, typically without any impact to the end developer if the changes aren't in the same place, and build servers will ensure that even if you don't cleanly merge you'll know about it promptly.

This has been a solved problem for decades before I started working at that place, they were just stuck in the past.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Potato Salad posted:

presto ipso fucko :agesilaus:

I'm stealing this for use at work, just fyi

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't even know what it means, and I love it. The smug roman dude is just perfect.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A pun on "presto ipso facto" which loosely means "And just like that, it's done!"

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
A contextless ticket came in from sales.

quote:

Same Problems today.
I shut down my PC and still the same.
Please response to this tick in less than 4 hours, as it’s the end of the month. ZERO HOUR!!!

We respond within 1 hour, of course, so he's full of poo poo, but that's not my problem. My problem is that this is the second ticket from sales where they've referred to it as a 'tick' and I'm genuinely concerned that this is going to become a thing.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Fortis posted:

We respond within 1 hour, of course, so he's full of poo poo, but that's not my problem. My problem is that this is the second ticket from sales where they've referred to it as a 'tick' and I'm genuinely concerned that this is going to become a thing.
The ET in "ticket" stands for Extra Time and it is the ZERO HOUR! There is no extra time! You are not taking this issue seriously enough! :kingsley:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Fortis posted:

"For clarity in communications and to enhance rapid response ability to issues, we ask users to refrain from using jargon and abbreviations in tickets, as not all terms are universal."

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

The ET in "ticket" stands for Extra Time and it is the ZERO HOUR! There is no extra time! You are not taking this issue seriously enough! :kingsley:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! :supaburn:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! :supaburn:

You dare mock Elroy 'Crazylegs' Hirsch? :argh:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

His PC is infested with ticks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not sure why this tick is referencing a movie about 1950s Canada

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
It's The End Of The Month As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

[quote="“Avenging_Mikon”" post="“476852310”"]
“For clarity in communications and to enhance rapid response ability to issues, we ask users to refrain from using jargon and abbreviations in tickets, as not all terms are universal.”
[/quote]

"Here, let me just ping you the URL"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's a machine for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_R6tJfr-M

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Collateral Damage posted:

A pun on "presto ipso facto" which loosely means "And just like that, it's done!"

So does that mean that "presto ipso fucko" loosely means "And just like that, it's hosed!"?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

So does that mean that "presto ipso fucko" loosely means "And just like that, it's hosed!"?
There are two projects I am assigned to that are going terribly. I cannot wait to use this phrase in this context at my next project meetings.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

It certainly fits in the context of Potato Salad's post. :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Read-Only Friday, and Read-Only End-Of-Month make for a slow day.

I helped with a problem in our board room, but am otherwise listening to MyIgnite videos and writing documentation.

I will probably also go home early.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Got a client with a weird issue on their juniper network equipment. We inform clients on what ports need to be forwarded for our software and leave it up to their network people to make the changes on their end. For some reason this one clients Juniper is replacing the public IP on inbound packets with the gateways IP and changing the source to say the gateway as well (10.10.1.1). If I telnet to a tcp port that is forwarded to the server with our software traces show the source as the gateway and SIP packets to the server have the public IP changed in the to,from,c= etc.. so it all shows 10.10.1.1.

And of course their network people maintain this is how port forwarding works on all routers and they say nothing is wrong.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Somebody is NATing it

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Somebody is NATing it

This is the most likely answer, I know it's pretty easy to do with a fortigate firewall when creating rules if you're not paying attention, not sure about other firewalls since I've never had occasion to log into one.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

neogeo0823 posted:

:blush:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Somebody is NATing it

Yep. Somebody made a mistake in creating the rules.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
No it can't be. Everything is working fine except his software. That means the problem is on his end and he has to fix it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
drat, you're right. I didn't think about that.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Somebody is NATing it

They' re just trying to masquerade their failure ... ... IŽll show myself out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wish I could share this e-mail with the thread because it makes no loving sense.

Customer is stating that there's a major security breach because their modem has a...public IP address? And they want a private IP instead? And they're dictating that it can't fall in the 10.x.x.x or the 192.168.254.x range? Also fix it immediately but also don't make any changes since it's going to have an impact on their services?

Why is my department even involved since we're not a customer facing department?

I need an adult.

e: it reads as if someone who knows what they're doing ordered someone who doesn't know jack poo poo about networking to send this e-mail without proper context, explanations, or details. There's a very professional "what the gently caress is this" e-mail from my manager so I feel safe just ignoring it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 1, 2017

• Locked thread