Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vox Nihili posted:

She's one of the more popular politicians here, no one actually knows what measurably affects their lives.

tbf patrick bateman is also one of the most popular californian politicians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah i can't believe dems didn't overturn citizens united before citizens united existed

The universe of campaign finance reform isn't even remotely limited to Citizens United, as you yourself have pointed out previously.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yeah i can't believe dems didn't overturn citizens united before citizens united existed
lol you are such a dunce and always look for the dumbest interpretation of any statement. you are acting as if campaign finance was not a major issue in 2008 lmao

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I was at work all day making it work out there as many of us here do in our horrible nation and I come home only to find that the Suck Zone sucks harder and more adamantly than I ever thought conceivable. Grown as members of the leisure class who pretend to work on twitter all day got nothing better to do than snarkily harass a working man who works out there on behalf of the working person, gets my rear end hackles up

I mean poo poo, this ONLY HALF of this lovely article

Al! posted:

punch nazis seduce normos

one can even lead to the other!

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Sep 28, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

political corruption and an insane campaign finance system was only an issue after the citizen's united decision guys. this gives a pass on obama and the democrats for not passing any meaningful campaign finance reform

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Office Pig posted:

so did you know they were a white supremacist when you seduced them or did you nazi it coming

I know you're joking but

it was a surprise but i should've known because homie listened to hatebreed a lot

in my defense I was 14

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

me, an idiot: uh hurr durr the democrats didnt pass campaign finance reform the last time that they owned congress and the white house. why should we think getting them in there again would have any difference?

you, a scholar and a gentleman: citizens united wasnt a decision yet they had no opportunity to pass campaign finance reform!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

is anyone in california's life measurably better because of kamala harris because if not i don't think it'll be too big of a home state advantage

Sure CA is a big winner in globalization hail satan

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just got the annual Medicare part D notice in the mail, which I normally ignore because I don't plan on becoming eligible for Medicare in the next year, but now........ :bernget:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Up to our ears in merit here in the Golden State boy howdy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Over Easy posted:

I mean poo poo, this ONLY HALF of this lovely article

quote:

Bernie cast “evil banks” as a crucial part of the narrative in his 2016 primary campaign against Hillary Clinton, continually hammering that he never gave speeches to Wall Street where he raked in hundreds of thousands of dollars, implying how pure and uncorrupt he was compared to “lock her up” Hillary. That is why it is more than a little ironic that Bernie and his wife, Jane, are both now “lawyering up” as the FBI investigates allegations of bank loan fraud committed by Jane when she was president of Burlington College (in 2010, during her husband’s tenure as a United States Senator).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
how can bernie say banks are evil when his own wife's workplace accepted a loan :smuggo:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

how DARE bernie defraud the same banks that he points out as corrupt and evil, how DARE he...

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Al! posted:

how can bernie say banks are evil when his own wife's workplace accepted a loan :smuggo:

I heard that Bernie Sanders loving uses money :smuggo:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Sure CA is a big winner in globalization hail satan

Oh, so there's plenty of executives who will vote for her because she didn't prosecute them.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Oh, so there's plenty of executives who will vote for her because she didn't prosecute them.

Folks from Ohio and other economic refugees have been voting with their feet for some time

Folks, the folk don't lie

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Folks from Ohio and other economic refugees have been voting with their feet for some time

Folks, the folk don't lie

voting for... Bernie?

im not sure why these people would vote for kamala harris

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

best part:

quote:

Now is the time to take attendance and recognize who is with you and who is against you. Now is the time to rebuild our country and ensure it works for every single American. Taking an all or nothing approach to political issues isn’t just unhelpful, it poisons the process and prevents meaningful conversation.

literally one god drat sentence earlier, dude!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/913065219580186629

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
[quote="“Mr Hootington”" post="“476831625”"]
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/913065219580186629
[/quote]

that seems like a pretty mild take

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
what is it with centrists who talk about votes as if they are "against" something and not "for" something?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

that seems like a pretty mild take

Liberals can't handle the fact that white women are genuinely reactionary.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
[quote="“NewForumSoftware”" post="“476831697”"]
what is it with centrists who talk about votes as if they are “against” something and not “for” something?
[/quote]

they can be both

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
[quote="“Pener Kropoopkin”" post="“476831720”"]
Liberals can’t handle the fact that white women are genuinely reactionary.
[/quote]

there are other problems with it and it’s dumb but the basic point that Trump is bad for all women (and men) isn’t that spicy of a thing to say

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Bip Roberts posted:

there are other problems with it and it’s dumb but the basic point that Trump is bad for all women (and men) isn’t that spicy of a thing to say

The spice lies in the fact that no one with net worth below 7 figures had a way to vote in their own interest in the general election of 2016.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

lol you are such a dunce and always look for the dumbest interpretation of any statement. you are acting as if campaign finance was not a major issue in 2008 lmao

the contexts are entirely different post-citizens united and pre-citizens united. "the fec isn't very good at enforcement" and "public financing systems are broken" as the supreme court steadily overturned the bcra are an entirely different beast from "lol you can put a billion dollars into a presidential campaign without telling anyone, at any time, in any race." even so the democrats provided almost all the votes in 2002 to end things like the soft money loophole that allowed wealthy donors to funnel unlimited money through state parties, and constrain outside spending by pacs - even if some of those laws were mitigated by the gop's compliant fec failing to enforce the law.

if the dems would vote to end soft money in 2002, i have no idea why you'd think they wouldn't want to overturn citizens united if they could.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

voting for... Bernie?

im not sure why these people would vote for kamala harris

Omg Bernie as CA Senator pinch me I must be in 7th Heavs

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
[quote="“Zhulik”" post="“476831840”"]
The spice lies in the fact that no one with net worth below 7 figures had a way to vote in their own interest in the general election of 2016.
[/quote]

she was only making an argument about voting more against their own interest tho

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

the worst thing I can say about these takes from Michelle (including 'we go high') is how extremely, agonizingly 'meh' they are. it's not really repulsive like, say, Clinton suggesting wink wink that female voters were made to vote Bernie because their male relations made them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

she was only making an argument about voting more against their own interest tho

The problem is that they were voting in their interest.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

what is it with centrists who talk about votes as if they are "against" something and not "for" something?
it's the natural strategy adopted by the democratic party that results from needing votes without upsetting their donors

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Eh. The general point that voting for Trump is 100% not in the interests of most women is a correct one. Didn't really need to be framed using Clinton, tho.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Man Musk posted:

Omg Bernie as CA Senator pinch me I must be in 7th Heavs

You can't have him, he's ours! :mad:

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Bip Roberts posted:

The article doesn't really provide full context, but I'm pretty sure the implication in her statement was that hillary rodham clinton would be the voice for all women. What reading are you suggesting?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Eh. The general point that voting for Trump is 100% not in the interests of most women is a correct one. Didn't really need to be framed using Clinton, tho.

Basically this.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zhulik posted:

The article doesn't really provide full context, but I'm pretty sure the implication in her statement was that hillary rodham clinton would be the voice for all women. What reading are you suggesting?

hillary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNAq7Cv34l4

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the contexts are entirely different post-citizens united and pre-citizens united. "the fec isn't very good at enforcement" and "public financing systems are broken" as the supreme court steadily overturned the bcra are an entirely different beast from "lol you can put a billion dollars into a presidential campaign without telling anyone, at any time, in any race." even so the democrats provided almost all the votes in 2002 to end things like the soft money loophole that allowed wealthy donors to funnel unlimited money through state parties, and constrain outside spending by pacs - even if some of those laws were mitigated by the gop's compliant fec failing to enforce the law.

if the dems would vote to end soft money in 2002, i have no idea why you'd think they wouldn't want to overturn citizens united if they could.
whatever funding forces put corporate democrats into power will encourage them to hold onto the mechanisms of that power, especially when it grants them the white house and both houses. the democrats are basically republicans with a kinder face.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/analysis-shares-obama/wall-street-puts-its-money-behind-obama-idUKNOA53525520080605

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

whatever funding forces put corporate democrats into power will encourage them to hold onto the mechanisms of that power, especially when it grants them the white house and both congresses. the democrats are basically republicans with a kinder face.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/analysis-shares-obama/wall-street-puts-its-money-behind-obama-idUKNOA53525520080605

well the dems voted overwhelmingly to end soft money in 2002. democrats were also the main beneficiary of soft money - hillary herself famously raised $10 million in unlimited contributions for her senate race in 2000.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Most women didn't vote for Trump, but it's also incredibly patronizing to accuse women who voted for him - or any third party - of voting against their own interests. The assumption that the Democratic party has natural constituencies is a big part of the hubris that led to 2016. Voter loyalty is always conditional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

it's like centrist-bullshit bingo:

I’d love if campaigns didn’t have to look for corporate donations, but it’s the political reality we live in, not the one we want. Maybe if we had more Democrats in office we could get rid of Citizens United and actually pass campaign finance reform. Then we could get money out of politics and get Congress back to work. You know who I can guarantee won’t help you get those things done? Republicans. We don’t live in a fantasy land where everyone gets everything that they want. Compromise is a necessity. I wish that with the snap of my fingers we had universal health care and free college, but that’s not how our system works. That’s not how the framers intended our system to work. The framers intentionally designed our government in a way that makes change incremental.

why can't these idiots come up with new talking points?

• Locked thread