Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I see so much potential for mixed use development in the San Jose burbs but they keep putting up single story tan stucco big box monstrosities.

Pressure to develop leads to some idiotic planning decisions such as building on the floodplain of Coyote Creek. Do those bills do anything to encourage building up instead of out?
It would be nice if those sweet new mixed use developments were not all 4k a month apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
What was that south bay city that planted garlic in the medians to keep the vampires away?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Gilroy development is pretty hosed. They kicked out all of their downtown businesses and heavily built luxury apartments prior to the 2008 crash hoping to ride the wave to a quaint Los Gatos-like downtown, but then the bottom dropped out of the market and everything just sat vacant for 6 years. It's only recently that things have recovered enough to really start building again. At least it's actual apartments instead of more shopping centers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Duckbox posted:

Ah yes, the town that always smells like garlic definitely has to worry about those people lowering it's probably values.

I personally enjoy that part of town. Of course I don't live in that side of town and only notice it when I'm driving over Pacheco pass.

I'm told that there used to be a tomato cannery as well and the combination of the two made that part of town smell like marinara.

They've been having problems with the downtown too many of those buildings aren't up to earthquake code and need a bunch of work. Some of the older businesses (read a bunch of antique shops) kept goi g through the crash but others haven't.

There was a thing recently where they wanted to ban street level offices from the downtown area ostensibly to put retail or restaurants in but in actuality it was because those downtown offices were immigration or remittance services.

Nobody mentioned the street level offices of the chamber of commerce or the garlic festival.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 22, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Nobody out stinks Milpitas though.

Only when the wind blows past the garbage dump/water treatment plant in the right direction :itwaspoo:

Heading eastbound on the Dumbarton bridge also gets you a nice whiff of rancid rear end (presumably from the salt marsh) when you approach Fremont.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the worst is still harris ranch

you can smell the death and excrement for like a ten mile stretch either way on the five

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
That, my friend, is known as the "heiffervescence."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any other Cali goons familiar with SB2? Apparently it is intended to help increase the supply of affordable housing, funded by fees from Real Estate transactions.

I'm optimistic about any measures that help increase the supply of housing, particularly low-income housing, but I figure there are goons here more savvy than I am about the actual details.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Panfilo posted:

Any other Cali goons familiar with SB2? Apparently it is intended to help increase the supply of affordable housing, funded by fees from Real Estate transactions.

I'm optimistic about any measures that help increase the supply of housing, particularly low-income housing, but I figure there are goons here more savvy than I am about the actual details.

It's good but will take at least a decade for any of them to start to matter and see real benefits but hey better than nothing. and also they missed a chance at some real prop 13 reform, even if it was repeal of commercial property tax freezes would be a huge start. Not sure about the whole "real estate transaction" taxes (which exclude home sales and commercial real estate? weird) is really going to work

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
All I know is if it sounds good, my Assemblyperson probably voted against it. *checks* Yep!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

:clint:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CaptainCrunch posted:

:guitar: Howww can you stiiiink into my nose, like open doors...Leading you down into my downtown

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Super Tuesday!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For reference, Governor Jerry just signed this guy and moved the presidential primary up to March:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB568

I wonder why most members of a certain bloc voted No!

Still hoping we move to ranked-choice voting, or something like it, one of these days.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CPColin posted:

For reference, Governor Jerry just signed this guy and moved the presidential primary up to March:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB568

I wonder why most members of a certain bloc voted No!

Still hoping we move to ranked-choice voting, or something like it, one of these days.

Hell yeah! This is great news.

Agreed w/r/t ranked choice, or my personal favorite: approval voting. Also, I don't think any federal-level election (including primaries) should be winner-take-all, and instead delegates should be awarded proportionally for each state. But this is an excellent (if small) step towards making things better.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Will this result in CA being penalized delegates? If so, I'd assume it would still be worth it? Even at half the delegates CA would have a huge influence on the primary as opposed to the whole thing already being wrapped up by the time CA votes?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Will this result in CA being penalized delegates? If so, I'd assume it would still be worth it? Even at half the delegates CA would have a huge influence on the primary as opposed to the whole thing already being wrapped up by the time CA votes?

It won't result in any delegate penalty.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's a drat good bill.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Came across this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1eNcuGcPW4

It was just a nice little reminder of how garbage dog whistle racism gets dressed up in California by libertarians

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'll save people time with a sample: "Oh the injustice that Apple has money to donate to the Southern Poverty Law Center but nothing for worthy native sons like myself!"

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 28, 2017

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

El Mero Mero posted:

It was just a nice little reminder of how garbage dog whistle racism gets dressed up in California by libertarians

Wow. That's quite special.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This oughtta go well:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CPColin posted:

This oughtta go well:

:discourse:
when the clap is just right

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. oops wrong thread

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

This oughtta go well:

For the record:

• AB 7: Extends existing open-carry ban to unincorporated areas of counties.
  • AB 424: Tightens law prohibiting possession of a firearm in a school zone by removing superintendents' ability to provide written permission.
  • AB 736: Adds additional fines for failing to comply with firearms dealer license regulations.
  • SB 464: Increases standards for how firearms dealers must secure their stock.
  • SB 536: Requires the state DOJ to share information relating to gun violence restraining orders with the Firearm Violence Research Center.
  • SB 620: Increases sentencing "enhancements" when a gun is involved in a crime. Also allows the court to strike the enhancements, as it sees fit. (Cunningham ran a "tough on crime" campaign. Maybe he objected to the second part?)
  • SCR 62: Designated June 21 "Asking Saves Kids Day," encouraging parents to ask their kids whether their friend has a gun in the house, before allowing the kid to play there. :psyduck:

Maybe I was too harsh; Assemblyperson Cunningham did indeed vote for AB 785, which further restricts persons convicted a misdemeanor from possessing firearms. I wonder why he felt safe voting for that one and not any of the other ones?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

I like the part where he starts laying into rich liberals for weakening antitrust and for deregulation, allowing monopolies and corporations to screw over the poor and then he suddenly realizes what he's saying and is all "oh wait don't get me wrong I'm a Hoover Institute guy who hates antitrust and loves deregulation, just focus on my point that rich Democrats are hurting the poor!"
:lol: You're not supposed to tell people what your politics actually do, brother.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 10, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp, DiFi is running in 2018 again. She's the Senate's oldest serving Senator at 84. I haven't heard that she's losing her grip, far from it, but I wonder if we'll be looking at a Strom Thurmond situation at some point.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp, DiFi is running in 2018 again. She's the Senate's oldest serving Senator at 84. I haven't heard that she's losing her grip, far from it, but I wonder if we'll be looking at a Strom Thurmond situation at some point.
gently caress this, I'm campaigning for whoever runs against her. She is the absolute worst and needs to go.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any progressives that are already talking about running?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DiFi definitely needs to go, but I doubt she'll be primaried; there is too drat much money and power lined up with her.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

DiFi definitely needs to go, but I doubt she'll be primaried; there is too drat much money and power lined up with her.
I'd settle for a hard fought primary where multiple young progressives get air time/name recognition campaigning against her and DiFi has to say leftist poo poo she doesn't want to in order to get elected. CA Senate seat isn't the place that the revolution will begin, but it could be an interesting heat check on Bernie style leftism and a chance for some progressives to step up.

DiFi isn't likely to lose and her announcement was well timed in the wake of the Vegas shooting (she has a strong track record on assault weapons ban), but still.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The problem with mounting a serious run against DiFi is that she's defacto in control of the entire Democratic Party apparatus at this point, and would not hesitate to use it to bury any challenges from within the party itself. You'd need Bernie-style independent candidates who are okay with the fact that until they win or DiFi finally croaks, they Dems are going to make every conceivable effort to suppress them. It's hard to find candidates like that who aren't also completely loving insane. Not impossible, but hard.

That said if somebody sane appears to take up the mantle, I'll campaign up and down for them.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It's really difficult to find objective information on the delta tunnels project. Are there any good writeups? Is Jerry Brown actually bad?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has Brown given any indication as to whether or not he's going to sign some things like SB 179? I'm worried he's going to just ignore it or something; we're getting pretty close to the last day he can sign stuff into law this year, right?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Looks like we amended pocket vetoes out of the constitution, according to the footnote at the bottom of the first page of this PDF. Good!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's been some kind of backlash toward Jerry Brown declaring California a "Sanctuary State". Donald Trump, being the petty dictator he is, apparently directed ICE to go after 'low hanging fruit' in the form of small businesses and other easy-to-deport targets in CA in response. This in turn has led to a lot of weirdly butthurt people saying :byodood: "Moonbeam should've known this would happen, he just made it worse!" which confuses me, because they're both acting like they are mad that Brown just forced the 'Sanctuary State' thing down their throats without a vote, and somehow taking Trump's response like they are upset people are getting deported. Huh? Either they are sympathetic to immigrants, in which they'd support Brown's declaration, or they aren't, in which they wouldn't be upset when Trump retaliates. I don't get it... :corsair:

What also cracks me up is when you get the same turbolibertarians that flip out about taxes and shoving policies down our throats (nevermind California requires a supermajority vote to raise taxes but just a simple majority to lower them, from my understanding; and also the proposition system is basically a direct democracy in the worst, most petty way imaginable) that are weirdly silent about Prop 13 or other tax breaks for homeowners.Whoever mentioned Prop 13 being a form of feudalism was dead on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CPColin posted:

Looks like we amended pocket vetoes out of the constitution, according to the footnote at the bottom of the first page of this PDF. Good!

Thank you for linking this; I've been checking SB 179's status daily, worrying that it'd slip through the cracks or something, but if it can't be pocket vetoed then I'm a lot less worried. I'll still judge the gently caress out of Brown if he refuses to actually sign it, but I don't think he'd outright veto it so it should become law either way now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Panfilo posted:

sanctuary state
Did I misread things? Isn't our 'sanctuary state' just a refusal to use state resources to do a federal agency's job for them? It is funny how people seem to no longer be tooting the states rights horn when a liberal state is in the news.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's really difficult to find objective information on the delta tunnels project. Are there any good writeups? Is Jerry Brown actually bad?
There is a lot of poo poo to dredge through to get to something objective. As far as I can tell, at current draw down rates, the bypass tunnels are net good for the environment. If they are used to capacity, things get pretty hosed. People in northern California hate southern California and don't trust whoever will be managing the system to not draw down too much water.

As for the cost analysis and rumors of shady deals, I have no idea.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

sincx posted:

Wouldn't feudalism be the government being able to tax you whatever it wanted? As in all wealth is ultimately controlled by the feudal lord.

No, feudalism actually had lots of rules and arguably had more respect for the rights of the commons than modern capitalism does. The real issue was that the vassals, overlords, monarchs, and church had a shitload of overlapping rights and obligations so no one could really agree on what the rules were or settle claims without a shitload of peasants getting killed.