Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it may not ruin marida's character arc but it really fucks with zimmerman and was a needless added tragedy to a pair of characters that didn't need more

It kind of doesn't though.

Zimmerman's character arc is that he is obssessed with revenge due to a tragedy and even though he knows it is wrong and futile he can't find anything else to live for or another goal in his life. Him getting his daughter back is a happy ending but it actually doesn't solve his actual problem which is that he can't move past tragedy or break the cycle of revenge. His big success is being involved in another horrific tragedy and *not* allowing it to define him. It is lovely for Zimmerman but it shows his actual growth in that his response is not to collapse into a pile of self-pity, nor to flip out and try to murder Riddhe, or anything of the sort, but to accept that a horrible thing happened and continue to move towards what Marida wanted.

It's a really depressing thing but it's actually the endpoint of the character that shows actual growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you misread that because I wasn't talking about zimmerman's character arc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQj2zqqSIks

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That would be much better without the "THIS IS A FLASHBACK" codifiers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
In my ideal CCA scenario Char and Amuro get married and have a space farm

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

That would be much better without the "THIS IS A FLASHBACK" codifiers

True, but I didn't make it. :P

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsieurChoc posted:

True, but I didn't make it. :P

This sounds like something someone who did make it would say, MonsieurChoc!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are many things that Unicorn could improve on. Marida and Zinnerman's relationship is not one of them. It is hands down the best thing in the show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Full promo art for Moon Gundam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is that Mineva Zabi/Audrey or fake Mineva Zabi I wonder.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What time period is it set in? Because if it's after Zeta, then the real Mineva wasn't wearing that uniform.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Better question: Is that Heero Yuy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

Better question: Is that Heero Yuy?

No, it's Mikazuki with a dye job and some tribal tats.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Heard unverified rumblings that the protagonist is actually female.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I could see that being true just off of the design but I really doubt it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Try fooled me once. I won't be fooled again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're allowed to do that if it's a manga

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
So. Gundam Origin V snuck up on me. Still good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Guy Goodbody posted:

So Amuro and Minerva are in it. That's unexpected.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Szmitten posted:

Oh is it out?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh is it out?

So, soft launch theatre release earlier this month, some form of release today/yesterday/day before since rips appeared. I'm not sure if the proper places or the dub is ready.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gammatron 64 posted:

So Amuro and Minerva are in it. That's unexpected.

They're a safety valve. If criticism of Moon Gundam starts getting really harsh, Sunrise will surreptitiously slip in those two as the actual protagonists in the latter half.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

LuiCypher posted:

They're a safety valve. If criticism of Moon Gundam starts getting really harsh, Sunrise will surreptitiously slip in those two as the actual protagonists in the latter half.

More like if any criticism is leveraged whatsoever... in fact they probably just plan on doing it regardless of feedback. >_>

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Szmitten posted:

I enjoyed Dozle's five minute journey of moral self discovery.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Even in the future people will wear outdoor shoes indoors.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Even in the future people will wear outdoor shoes indoors.

In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished the first season of IBO and gently caress did that wrap up really well.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Gundam versus came out today for ps4 users. I've never played the series before but I'm learning it and loving the amount of suits available. Also briefly paged through song choices for battles and I noticed they had raise your flag.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kingtheninja posted:

Gundam versus came out today for ps4 users. I've never played the series before but I'm learning it and loving the amount of suits available. Also briefly paged through song choices for battles and I noticed they had raise your flag.

It's nice that they're drawing from all of Gundam now rather than specific series. The first one (Federation vs. Zeon) was exclusively OYW with none of the side-stories except 08th MS Team (which was important for boosting the Federation's roster from 'Gundam, Guncannon, Guntank, GM'). The second (Zeta Gundam vs Gundam) was OYW and Zeta, and was probably the start of them trying to edge away from verisimilitude (which was probably why they tried to keep each game focused on a specific series).

When they finally got to Gundam vs. Gundam, they threw all of that out and just crammed in as much as they could from different series, and it's all the better for it. While Extreme Vs. (PS3) was cool, I am definitely looking forward to not having to use a Japanese PSN account to play Gundam Versus (it's sitting in my mailbox as we speak)!

The non-DLC roster alone looks amazing - http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Versus

Going to be smashing fools with Corin's Kapool and its Rocket Punch to the dick, if I can tear myself away from the Tallgeese II or Graham's Custom Union Flag.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm glad that the Rebake and Perfect Pack made it into the first round of English DLC. Hopefully the Lupus and Virtue will be making the jump from pre-order exclusive to purchasable at some point.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Every gundam fan should play the versus series and hell even non gundam fans should play it because the game is fun as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What kind of polish are we looking at? Pretty much all Gundam games I've seen looked like they slotted into that budget title, Dynasty Warriors quality niche of the market. Did they go all out on this one to make a big title or is it more like what I just said.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

What kind of polish are we looking at? Pretty much all Gundam games I've seen looked like they slotted into that budget title, Dynasty Warriors quality niche of the market. Did they go all out on this one to make a big title or is it more like what I just said.

Gundam versus is an arcade brawler series that's more or less been improved for the past 15+ years. The game plays like virtual on. They are definitely not a budget title.

The gameplay is simple to pick up, hard to master. It's also very, very fast. I've had buddies who are big fighting game fans who were sceptical of the versus series, start playing it and absolutely love it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gundam Versus as a series owns, but it's gonna take me a while to get used to the new feel of things. Zundas are stiffer and I don't have my funnel missiles to give me breathing room.

Nightingale is gonna own though, but I'll never stop wishing for my Xi and Penelope back.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Monaghan posted:

Gundam versus is an arcade brawler series that's more or less been improved for the past 15+ years. The game plays like virtual on. They are definitely not a budget title.

The gameplay is simple to pick up, hard to master. It's also very, very fast. I've had buddies who are big fighting game fans who were sceptical of the versus series, start playing it and absolutely love it.

For certain. Compared to every other fighting game out there, the Vs. series is really, really unique in that every fight is basically 2-on-2 in a completely 3D space. You don't have to remember controller motions to pull off special moves, as they're all more or less mapped out to a button, but timing and technique really matter. Knowing how to pull off combos is nice for the little bits of extra damage you get, but the game is all about awareness, avoiding damage, and punishing mistakes.

That all sounds very easy and pretty standard for fighting games until you start wrapping your mind around the fact that you have to worry about 2 people trying to damage you at the same time, usually from all different directions, while you're trying to do the same to them with your buddy. It's crazy, and it's awesome.

Finally, team composition is very important. Now that I'm thinking about it, it would take a long time to explain but the gist of it is - teamwork, down to which mobile suit (fighter) each of you select, matters in a way that few other fighting games accomplish. The game does not abide mastery of just a single mobile suit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FOund this randomly on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf4AhoGDkQ

Not exactly amazing, but it does bring to mind the picture of GMs with "Born to Kill" or "Apocalypse Now" written on the side.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

For certain. Compared to every other fighting game out there, the Vs. series is really, really unique in that every fight is basically 2-on-2 in a completely 3D space. You don't have to remember controller motions to pull off special moves, as they're all more or less mapped out to a button, but timing and technique really matter. Knowing how to pull off combos is nice for the little bits of extra damage you get, but the game is all about awareness, avoiding damage, and punishing mistakes.

That all sounds very easy and pretty standard for fighting games until you start wrapping your mind around the fact that you have to worry about 2 people trying to damage you at the same time, usually from all different directions, while you're trying to do the same to them with your buddy. It's crazy, and it's awesome.

Finally, team composition is very important. Now that I'm thinking about it, it would take a long time to explain but the gist of it is - teamwork, down to which mobile suit (fighter) each of you select, matters in a way that few other fighting games accomplish. The game does not abide mastery of just a single mobile suit.

Any tips on particularly fun suits? I've played with a few, but there's such a vast library that there will inevitably be a good number I've missed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like that the back of the box has the very gundam line "We will never stop fighting."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I like that the back of the box has the very gundam line "We will never stop fighting."

Pretty sure Anaheim's motto is "We will never let the fighting stop".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BGM is going to be Wings of a Boy Who Killed Adolescence and it's never coming off that.

Until they add Trans-Am Raiser and Zechs Comes.