Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Philthy posted:

If a Warlock gets hit, you're doing something wrong, or the DM is bored.

Also doing the Darkness + Devilsight combo will get you murdered at any table without asking permission first.

Some dms just don't believe in dumping all available offense into the party tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magil Zeal posted:

You can cast Darkness on an object, and if you can fully cover the object it blocks the Darkness. The idea being that you cast Darkness on an object on your person, then after you make whatever attacks you want you can cover up the object to let your allies see again. How exactly you do this is shenanigans.
Enchant a false tooth and open/close your mouth? Bonus in that you can strobe your enemies by sticking your tongue out and going blblblblblblbl

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ritorix posted:

The town bully has been possessed by sentient fungus. Its plans for peaceful coexistence are well underway. Bwahaha. (ancient oath paladin, charlatan background - he only pretended to be tough)

A local hero selflessly rid the village of a demonic threat - but had to make a pact to get it to 'leave' forever. (a lawful good fighter/fiend warlock with the folk hero background)

Granny Mae has been growing these veggies for 50 years. Eating them for so long has weird results. Don't mess with Granny. (she's an angry barbarian)

My current plan is to irritate my DM by playing a hunky farmboy named Todd who's real good with his hands (monk) but hates violence and just wants to find someone to love

He wears exclusively flannels without the first two buttons buttoned and rolls the sleeves up to just below his elbow

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Magil Zeal posted:

I agree on Battlemaster maneuvers and hell I homebrewed 22 new ones, but at the same time I feel like it's a pretty big design problem right now that BM maneuvers are tied to one single fighter archetype and that makes me really not want to play any other fighter archetype. Really, all fighters should get BM maneuvers and the martial archetypes need to be overhauled. Like, Knight is kinda neat, but picking it means no maneuvers at all and that's sad.

These are neat, thanks!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

You can cast Darkness on an object, and if you can fully cover the object it blocks the Darkness. The idea being that you cast Darkness on an object on your person, then after you make whatever attacks you want you can cover up the object to let your allies see again. How exactly you do this is shenanigans.

Conspiratiorist posted:

You can cast it on an object and then fiddle with the hand economy and your free object interaction per turn to stow/unstow said object.

It's stupid.

Anyway, as long as you don't cast Darkness on top of your party it's all fine. Hex is higher damage over an encounter anyway, so Darkness is just for the defensive benefits.

Sounds like one of those scenarios where a brisk "gently caress off with that bullshit." is the correct response from the DM.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My warlock's number one use of darkness is as a smoke bomb so he can easily evade the consequences of his dumb actions.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Part of the campaign setting is that we're in a town that recently found it can grow a cool plant that nowhere else can go so it's experienced a huge growth and urbanization is running rampant, so I can play anything from a farmhand to a policeman to a politician's son to an alleyway thief and anything in between, so I have a ton of options. Farmhand makes me laugh the most though and has the most potential.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

SettingSun posted:

My warlock's number one use of darkness is as a smoke bomb so he can easily evade the consequences of his dumb actions.

Anyone who doesn't have a Batman belt of poo poo for any occasion on every character should be ashamed. Why the hell wouldn't everyone who expects to fight the horrible poo poo adventurers do have pouches full of caltrops and antivenom?

e: or get your stupid rear end out of being hung

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
OK, I've decided that my character is going to be a good old country boy. He loves three things: his farm, his momma, and whatever representation of Jesus Christ I can get closest to using this system. What 5E Dadey would probably be the closest to Jesus, in either name or general domain?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Thumbtacks posted:

OK, I've decided that my character is going to be a good old country boy. He loves three things: his farm, his momma, and whatever representation of Jesus Christ I can get closest to using this system. What 5E Dadey would probably be the closest to Jesus, in either name or general domain?

Pelor is a god of light and healing, most go with that. Toss in some Praise the Sun if you feel like.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I put a jenga tower on the table last night and every time the players performed an action they had to pull a piece. It was fantastic for building tension.
One of them cheated and pulled a piece and placed it back in the middle of the tower. The other players objected and told him to pull another piece.

It was great. They were making their own rules.

At the end of the session the players exclaimed the tower didn't fall. Then pushed it over, I noted that down, they all looked worried.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kommando posted:

I put a jenga tower on the table last night and every time the players performed an action they had to pull a piece. It was fantastic for building tension.
One of them cheated and pulled a piece and placed it back in the middle of the tower. The other players objected and told him to pull another piece.

It was great. They were making their own rules.

At the end of the session the players exclaimed the tower didn't fall. Then pushed it over, I noted that down, they all looked worried.

There's this game called Dread you may enjoy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

Anyway, as long as you don't cast Darkness on top of your party it's all fine.

Closest I've seen a table almost get flipped.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I told a bandit about Jesus and his two friends jumped out of bushes and shot me in the back and then his boss stole my cool jeans

rip hunky Todd, 2017-2017

Time for a new character

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thumbtacks posted:

If it's Forgotten Realms Lathander is probably the closest thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I told a bandit about Jesus and his two friends jumped out of bushes and shot me in the back and then his boss stole my cool jeans

rip hunky Todd, 2017-2017

Time for a new character

I don't understand why banditry isn't a much more severe problem in 5e worlds since low level adventurers get mulched with ease.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

SettingSun posted:

I don't understand why banditry isn't a much more severe problem in 5e worlds since low level adventurers get mulched with ease.

Because the wilderness is loving dangerous.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
He died on literally the first encounter which was hilarious and I only miss him a little bit

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thumbtacks posted:

He died on literally the first encounter which was hilarious and I only miss him a little bit

Why didn't your magical friends save you after you got robbed? Dang but getting bandited at level 1 is cruel. I'm glad you took my idea, I was very proud of it. I feel like I gave you a baby to raise and you dropped it though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Years ago in a 3.5e session I was rolling a wizard, and was pleased as punch when I got an 18. My friends' faces when the next roll came up 18 as well was priceless. After much deliberation on where to put the second 18 I decided to put it in STR (metagamewise, so we'd have someone who could carry a bunch of stuff without already being weighed down by armor) and decided he was a good ol' boy from a big ol' ranch and daddy sent him off to get some fancy city learnin'. It was probably the most fun I had with a 3/3.5e campaign.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Why didn't your magical friends save you after you got robbed? Dang but getting bandited at level 1 is cruel. I'm glad you took my idea, I was very proud of it. I feel like I gave you a baby to raise and you dropped it though.

crit failed a saving throw, it was v bad

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It still takes two turns to bleed out even if you critically fail a death saving throw. This was all on your teammates. My next character would be a barbarian whose mentor spirit would be the ghost of that previous character, and boy would the ghost be eternally upset.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thumbtacks posted:

Bring him back as a Revenant whose goal is to get his blue jeans back.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Because the wilderness is loving dangerous.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Splicer posted:

Bring him back as a Revenant whose goal is to get his blue jeans back.

Adventure Zone spoiler:
A undead character known for his blue jeans? Surely that will never work in D&D.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Is your own family a suitable Warlock patron? Playing on themes of lineage, some personal development powers probably. Definitely an ability called "passed down for generations!".

Based mostly off Major Armstrong and the Cavendish family in Hellboy, and in general weird twisted families more beholden to The Family than anything else.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The fear family from the classic fear street novels is a good sorcerer background lol.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

I agree on Battlemaster maneuvers and hell I homebrewed 22 new ones, but at the same time I feel like it's a pretty big design problem right now that BM maneuvers are tied to one single fighter archetype and that makes me really not want to play any other fighter archetype. Really, all fighters should get BM maneuvers and the martial archetypes need to be overhauled. Like, Knight is kinda neat, but picking it means no maneuvers at all and that's sad.

These are really good and flavorful. Except Execution sounds to good, especially if combined with a crit.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
With my dying breath I requested my friends remove my jeans and give them to the next worthy adventurer, who they will probably meet fairly quickly at the next town over

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well at least you can be whatever you want and you don't have to have been raised on a farm.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I approve of this pants based adventuring lifestyle.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my DM refused to call them jeans, insisting that jeans don't exist in this world. we compromised and called them JORNS, so now i'm going to make sure all my character names rhyme with it

currently writing up my plan for Gorn, a barbarian that lives in the forest we're traveling through. the forest is being torn down because of the rapidly spreading urbanization so he's on a new quest to petition that the government declare his forest a national forest because it houses a specific species of bear

he's very well read

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Todd was too beautiful for this world.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

THE ORC CAPTAIN GROWLS "TAKE OFF TH OSE JORNS, CITIZEN."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

my DM refused to call them jeans, insisting that jeans don't exist in this world. we compromised and called them JORNS, so now i'm going to make sure all my character names rhyme with it

currently writing up my plan for Gorn, a barbarian that lives in the forest we're traveling through. the forest is being torn down because of the rapidly spreading urbanization so he's on a new quest to petition that the government declare his forest a national forest because it houses a specific species of bear

he's very well read

I'm totally stealing this

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm honestly okay with it because it was really hilarious, bandits were holding us up on a path through the forest so i was like "hm let's just walk around them" so i turned left and walked off the path and was immediately shot in the back by an archer, who crit and immediately killed me before anyone could say anything. i even had alert, so that wasn't an advantage roll. the first encounter and first loving dice roll of the game and I get crit to death instantly

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my first saving throw was a nat 1, and then our only healer rolled such a low initiative that they somehow weren't able to do anything before i rolled again, and then i rolled a 2 and immediately died

i feel bad for the girl who was playing for the first time, she probably thinks dnd is a heartless game where you can die at any time. I'm not even mad though, I choked on my beer after I rolled that 1 from laughing so hard.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Here's a fun story.

Another character in a game I just joined has a sentient magical weapon that lets him do things like double his AC/HP, cast arbitrary spells and choose his damage type, such as cold or fire or w/e. He also talks to it constantly. Oh, he's also a were-bear.

To say he's dominating the story space is, well, sort of understating the matter.

We're at 4th level by the way.

Anyway, that's my D&D story.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Doubling AC? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All it costs is memories! Fictional memories!