Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think we just need a more steady stream of content really, and people just posting poo poo that they've enjoyed watching and stuff. Like, doesn't even necessarily have to be this great must watch thing...that might get the thread away from the usual few creators like Hbomb, Contra, Lindsay etc. - I mean, they're all fine but they are all kinda the same field and all that. Broaden the horizons a little...I mean, maybe it's time to include the likes of food folk, or vloggers, or techies or other such commentators because as far as I can tell, there's not much of a place for discussion of that sort of thing? And "Internet critic" is kinda outdated nowadays. We're so narrow here that there's only so much we can do before the topic of Spoony (or god help us, some political poo poo) comes up again. In short, this thread isn't right if we're not covering people like Reviewbrah who can make talking about loving bottled water for 10 minutes interesting and funny.

Maybe also the cutting back of shitposters who are only interested in fighting or policing who people like ("shame this guy said this on the Internet 10 years ago!" seriously gently caress off pal), but that might be asking too much.

I watch this guy, The Food Ranger, all the freaking time these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw_tJOwZmac

He kinda always has the same "Mmmmmmm!!!!" reaction to everything he eats which is kinda ripe for piss-taking, but he's enthusiastic, speaks drat near fluent Mandarin as far as I can tell, and all his videos look great (this one's an especially gorgeous example, 'cause China's just that sort of country). I watch them and think that I took the wrong path, 'cause I wanna roll around China and Southeast Asia making a living from eating all this good poo poo too.

On a similar note, Mikey Chen (who's got a whole ton of popular channels for vlogging, science and stuff) has his own food channel called Strictly Dumpling - he's not as adventurous as someone like The Food Ranger who will happily sit down in front of a plate of bull testicles (and say "Mmmmmmm!!!"), but he certainly has a lot of character, which helps a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xicfMsSMkBE

May as well complete the trifecta of food travel vloggers with Mark Wiens, who is kind of in the middle between Food Ranger and Strictly Dumpling. He also has the same reaction to most everything he eats, which is to close his eyes, cock his head to the right and pull a really big smile. It's cute. He tends to do a bit more of the high-class stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mY-DrGGWE

Anyway, enjoy. If you know of other channels like these, please post them as I want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Have any of you run into Pusing Up Roses? She does retro game retrospectives for the most part. I don't know if her cultural critique is up to snuff with some thread luminaries, but they're usually fun and occasionally insightful. Here's a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpiAFd9OkHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe-mAn1kYo8

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have any of you run into Pusing Up Roses? She does retro game retrospectives for the most part. I don't know if her cultural critique is up to snuff with some thread luminaries, but they're usually fun and occasionally insightful.

I was only aware of her in connection with Paw, and hadn't tried any of her stuff out; I never realised she had analysis in addition to Let's Plays. The Moon Logic vid was p. good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
everything posted on this page has been a good recommendation

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i started posting RegularCarReviews ages ago when people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Tranformers or Zack Snyder or whatever loving moronic thing they were talking about so let's get some of that going again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9f8mBNxQw

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have any of you run into Pusing Up Roses? She does retro game retrospectives for the most part. I don't know if her cultural critique is up to snuff with some thread luminaries, but they're usually fun and occasionally insightful. Here's a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpiAFd9OkHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe-mAn1kYo8

Roses is great. I found out Thimbleweed Park exists thanks to her review, so she's cool in my book.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Playstation 4 posted:

Is Jay or Bob the Summer of this scenario.

Jay for sure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly5Gz4jn90w

New Movie Nights, taking a look at the McHale's Navy movie. Tim Curry and Bruce Campbell are the only good things in it, which I'm happy Allison acknowledged. You can always count on Tim Curry to be the best thing in a bad film.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The other day I was looking for something to put on in the background and I learned that Little Kuriboh is still making Yu Gi Oh Abridged! He's now funded by Patreon and is working his way through season 3 (I think) He's even got an expanded voice cast. (His wife, I think!)

I know he's not an internet critic but I'm sure there's a venn diagram someone could make that has him overlapping with the genre!

Also I'd like to remind everyone that Worst Episode Ever has now catalogued 111 worst ever episodes of the simpsons, and has birthed another podcast called 90th Percentile which focuses on 90's nostalgia.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

New Movie Nights, taking a look at the McHale's Navy movie. Tim Curry and Bruce Campbell are the only good things in it, which I'm happy Allison acknowledged. You can always count on Tim Curry to be the best thing in a bad film.

You think there would be any audience for talking about the original McHale's Navy? It's in that weird space along with The Americanization of Emily where World War II was far enough back you could make fun of it, but Vietnam hadn't geared up so much as to make it look tasteless (when it started, anyway).

PLUS, it's got Joe Flynn, who is one of those people like Jack Benny and Phil Silvers that just IS early television.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

A few recommendations of mine:

Company Man: As the channel name suggests, rather than talking about entertainment, he discusses various corporate- and brand-related subjects. Mostly he focuses on the rise and fall of once-popular stores, or infamous PR disasters like New Coke.

Bobsheaux: An old-school internet critic if you like that style (I do). He does reviews of cartoons and other kids’ media; mainly weird or obscure stuff that you’d find at a dollar store. The only thing I’d say to watch out for is that he sometimes clogs up his channel with guest episodes made by his patreon supporters which are universally terrible, but his own videos are pretty funny and they tend to cover a lot of stuff I haven't seen other critics cover, in addition to the usual suspects like Foodfight.

Internet Historian: Makes videos about memes and other internet-culture-related shenanigans. He has relatively few videos so far but they’re all funny, especially his series detailing Shia Labeouf’s months-long feud with 4chan. Yes, that’s a thing that actually happened.

Crowbcat: Maybe stretching the limits of what can be considered a “review”, but they’re hilarious so I don’t care. Crowbcat’s gimmick is creating videos entirely out of footage from video games and their associated interviews, press releases etc., all stitched together to mock the hell out of them. Music, sound effects and captions are sometimes employed, but Crowbcat mostly just lets gaming industry idiots dig their own graves.

KayTee posted:

The other day I was looking for something to put on in the background and I learned that Little Kuriboh is still making Yu Gi Oh Abridged! He's now funded by Patreon and is working his way through season 3 (I think) He's even got an expanded voice cast. (His wife, I think!)

I know he's not an internet critic but I'm sure there's a venn diagram someone could make that has him overlapping with the genre!
Actually, he is a critic… sort of. He does a series called The Mark Remark, which is basically a humorous commentary on wrestling shows. It’s mostly just jokes rather than any sort of in-depth review but, as with Crowbcat, the jokes are really funny so I’d say it counts.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 27, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's not a review show, but i'm a big fan of The Brain Scoop
it's a science educational channel but they're partnered with the chicago field museum which means they get to like, actually talk with experts in their field and show off actual specimens and Emily Graslie is just great as host.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't watched the review, but surely Dean Stockwell merits a mention?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

KayTee posted:

Also I'd like to remind everyone that Worst Episode Ever has now catalogued 111 worst ever episodes of the simpsons, and has birthed another podcast called 90th Percentile which focuses on 90's nostalgia.

I feel like it's only responsible to say that rather than tell anyone to listen to WEE, Talking Simpsons exists and delivers a much better experience, especially their (Patreon-locked) interviews with former writers and staff of the show.

(They're also doing the Critic behind the pay wall.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

business hammocks posted:

I haven't watched the review, but surely Dean Stockwell merits a mention?

Dean Stockwell has absolutely nothing to do in the film, sadly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If we're recommending new, unique stuff then get on my level and watch The Nobodies, drag queens reviewing wrestling.

It's as awesome as it sounds. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBnBe0NLOLk0KqlKs4KiXLg

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wasn't Tom Arnold going through some pretty rough substance abuse and a bad divorce at the time of this movie? I could buy that being a reason for how much he sleep walks in this movie

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know what y'all talking about, that climax looked lame as hell. And Tim Curry throwing his eyes up in frustration is barely a joke. But Bruce Campbell is always charming. That guy's smile has more charisma than Tom Arnold.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can always count on Tim Curry to be the best thing in a bad film.

This is 100% true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You can tell Bruce Campbell really enjoys shooting that machine gun.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Literally what came to my mind, as well. :buddy:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Benne posted:

If we're recommending new, unique stuff then get on my level and watch The Nobodies, drag queens reviewing wrestling.

It's as awesome as it sounds. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBnBe0NLOLk0KqlKs4KiXLg

hey, I just need you to know you posted a very good thing

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

:siren: We have a new Pretty Good :siren:
:siren: I repeat, we have a new Pretty Good :siren:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

lol @ the breakdown of union pros and cons.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Falstaff posted:

lol @ the breakdown of union pros and cons.

jon bois is pretty good

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like it's only responsible to say that rather than tell anyone to listen to WEE, Talking Simpsons exists and delivers a much better experience, especially their (Patreon-locked) interviews with former writers and staff of the show.

(They're also doing the Critic behind the pay wall.)

On the other hand, if anyone is still actually listening to WEE instead of Talking Simpsons or Four Finger Discount, they've most likely already gotten what they deserve.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Welp time for more political talk, don't have enough of that in this thread.

Hey instead of US Pol AGAIN lets talk about an internet person that doesn't revolve around politics and not have a 10 page derail about them?

Why does Mr Enter now have an avatar in his videos that looks like the homeless guy who constantly flashes his dick at me when I go to work?

Phil Burnell aka The King of Hate aka DarkSydePhil may be getting investigated by the IRS for fraud, due to him claiming his house as a tax write off and basically all his food cause of his DSP tries it videos.

Speaking of the above, his main hate group Sons of Kojima basically imploded after it turns out the leader of the group, Fred Fuchs, is a paranoid, controlling doxxer and its been leaked just how horrible he can be? Also that he owned up (in private) to personally doing the swatting and even went as far as to find the obituary of a former member who died of cancer, after he claimed she was faking her cancer for attention?

This youtuber named Saberspark posted a video about this North Korean propaganda children's cartoon. Fun fact: Furries exist even in North Korea

Doug Walker uploaded a Green Lantern review Haha that Doug Walker, he certainly missed the point didn't he? Man what a fraud!

Speaking of frauds, Mike and Jaybae watched mother!, which is in fact NOT a Danzing song!

I Hate Everything did a video for Destiny 2

Hey so did Angry Joe! I guess he got enough of a rest and is back in the game!

Brad is drinking soda! Lets talk about soda! What is YOUR favorite soda? I like Jone's Apple! Lets talk about soda and not politics!

Phallus uploaded a video about another Mortal Kombat cartoon! Haha, I typed Phallus instead of Phelous! A phalllus is a penis! Lets talk about that typo instead of stupid rear end politics again!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

On the other hand, if anyone is still actually listening to WEE instead of Talking Simpsons or Four Finger Discount, they've most likely already gotten what they deserve.

It started out fun but good god it became less tolerable than the Simpsons episodes it was about. LEONARDO DICAPRIO DUURRRR!

Are they still going? Is each episode five hours long now?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
thank you good poster leal

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I tried to watch a Doug Walker video. "Is weird the new brilliant?".
He doesn't seem to grasp character development, animation or allegories and think that they're a new thing? And it's apparently weird and random? He also pronounces Alzheimer "all timers". And he tries to be very serious but still has the same cartoonish speaking style. He just puts some emotional music under it and calls it a day. It's super cringy but I feel kind of bad for the guy because he's really trying but still doesn't grasp basic criticism, film/tv history, analysis or how and why he edits his videos.

I'm happy to see people post videos again. I got dissuaded by the fact that it nev4er got any response and the content just got lost in the ever going political/videogame rants. Thanks Kim.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

He doesn't seem to grasp character development, animation or allegories and think that they're a new thing? And it's apparently weird and random? He also pronounces Alzheimer "all timers". And he tries to be very serious but still has the same cartoonish speaking style. He just puts some emotional music under it and calls it a day. It's super cringy but I feel kind of bad for the guy because he's really trying but still doesn't grasp basic criticism, film/tv history, analysis or how and why he edits his videos.

I'm happy to see people post videos again. I got dissuaded by the fact that it nev4er got any response and the content just got lost in the ever going political/videogame rants. Thanks Kim.

He's really never grown one iota since he started. He has no curiosity, no values or beliefs, no desire but consumption. He doesn't understand the thing he loves.

He really underscores how much every other critic has grown along the path of following interests and talents. He's like the Kevin Smith of youtube.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

business hammocks posted:

He's really never grown one iota since he started. He has no curiosity, no values or beliefs, no desire but consumption. He doesn't understand the thing he loves.

He really underscores how much every other critic has grown along the path of following interests and talents. He's like the Kevin Smith of youtube.

I think he gets way too excited about something and wants to talk about it but doesn't realize that maybe he should get someone else's point of view and read up on the creators/production and hell just think and write about it for two seconds first. It reeks of, I just watched this and I'm going directly in front of the camera to talk about it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dean Stockwell has absolutely nothing to do in the film, sadly.

I wouldn't say that, it's just everything he does is really lame and doesn't go anywhere. He's half doing an impression of the guy who played his character originally, half not, and does bug-eyed reactions to things that are such non-jokes it doesn't make sense. I still enjoyed his performance lol.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sarcopenia posted:

He doesn't seem to grasp character development, animation or allegories and think that they're a new thing?

Every day, it sure feels like we're getting closer and closer to the Promised Land.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

Every day, it sure feels like we're getting closer and closer to the Promised Land.

I literally uttered this 30 seconds in.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Benne posted:

For a while now this has been appointment viewing. As with all good things I wish they made more.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Here's a great vid I watched today that isn't the new Pretty Good (although that is...y'know). I love it when folks who seem like everyday vloggers get on some serious Chef's Table type poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkeRhKnROds

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Leal posted:

This youtuber named Saberspark posted a video about this North Korean propaganda children's cartoon. Fun fact: Furries exist even in North Korea

The length between seasons for Squirrel and Hedgehog is incredible. There's a clickbaity title in that: "Still waiting for Arrested Development S5? This North Korean cartoon had to wait decades!"

It's eerie that a kid's show in NK has all this violence and killing and cruelty but it must be acknowledged that North Korean children grow up watching other children dying of starvation so seeing cartoons getting butchered on screen isn't that unsettling or unusual.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Here's a great vid I watched today that isn't the new Pretty Good (although that is...y'know). I love it when folks who seem like everyday vloggers get on some serious Chef's Table type poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkeRhKnROds
Uuugh that looks so good. Good thing I just made cinnamon buns so I don't have food envy.

This is not a review but I have to share cooking with dog, because mmm and good boy Francis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaP5MoLIHk

Does Podcasts count because the podcast "Bad Romance" is pretty good? They review romantic comedies. Maybe it's just not comedies but all the episodes I've heard so far have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Dragonatrix posted:

They're different concepts, so I have been able to listen to all three. Though I did give WEE a rest for a while, when they were in their peak "god awful voices" phase. I am thinking of giving Four Finger Discount a rest for a while, as it sounds like they are getting tired and a bit lazy in their prep work and discussions.

• Locked thread