Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Watching this Golf Story video kind of bored me.

what

Cojawfee posted:

I was also hoping Picross would be Picross 3D.

what

Cojawfee posted:

The NES emulator clearly works, if they have Golf on every Switch, so where's the rest?

do not touch the nes emulator, do not tamper with the blessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

irlZaphod posted:

So is Golf Story just Final Fantasy crossed with Caddyshack?

A copy of Final Fantasy XIII-2 floats by in the pool.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Watching this Golf Story video kind of bored me.

Where do they find all these people who are so bad at playing video games? I don't need every preview to be a pro strat speedrunner but I think by 25 minutes they should grasp that balls roll.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Modus Pwnens posted:

Where do they find all these people who are so bad at playing video games? I don't need every preview to be a pro strat speedrunner but I think by 25 minutes they should grasp that balls roll.

You don't have to be good at playing games to be in game journalism, just good enough at talking about games and adding fluff to commentary to fill up more than 2 sentences about each game.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Still not sure about Golf Story. Going to wait for more impressions. Definitely getting Picross, though. Do games go live at 9pm pst?

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 28, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It is 11pm in the UK and Golf Story is not out, unlike Sonic Mania which did come out at 11pm.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Golf Story will get a meta critic score that surpasses Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the Switch will forever be cemented as the finest console the world has ever seen.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh wait, xenoverse 2 is out already? poo poo I NEED IT, I need AmeriKirby to make a comeback

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Golf Story will get a meta critic score that surpasses Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the Switch will forever be cemented as the finest console the world has ever seen.

Stardew cancelled. Smw banned in executive order by mario 3 loving trump

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Golf Story is only 15 bucks, so I don't mind taking the plunge for people that are weary. For some reason indie games on the Switch seem more interesting to me than on other platforms.

On another note, has anyone played Kingdom: New Lands? It looks really nice, and I considered buying that too.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah why has no one posted details about golf story? Is it not out yet in US or something? All y'all wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it and now that it's out I haven't heard a peep.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah why has no one posted details about golf story? Is it not out yet in US or something? All y'all wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it and now that it's out I haven't heard a peep.

its because they're too busy playing it

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

it's not out dipshit

or that. :v: I haven't been keeping up with it because I prefer my golf games to be Neo Turf Masters, which is on the Switch

unrelated: why is there no Switch Yokai Watch?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

it's not out dipshit

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm hearing good things about Golf Story. A couple people have dropped Earthbound with Golf

I mean I'm as hype for anyone buuuuuut comparing to the greatest rpg of literally all time seems kinda lofty, fellas

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wanna smack whoever decided to use that font in Golf Story upside the head. Jesus Christ

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

I mean I'm as hype for anyone buuuuuut comparing to the greatest rpg of literally all time seems kinda lofty, fellas

i'm about to blow your mind but rpgs continued to get made over the last twenty years

a lot of them even

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kaubocks posted:

i'm about to blow your mind but rpgs continued to get made over the last twenty years

a lot of them even

and yet none of them are just as good as earthbound is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If your favorite RPG is for the Super Nintendo you probably haven't played a lot of RPGs since then

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm gonna argue that i played at least one game that i enjoyed more than earthbound

edit:

cheetah7071 posted:

If your favorite RPG is for the Super Nintendo you probably haven't played a lot of RPGs since then

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
But enough about Dragon Quarter

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, Persona exists

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I have and I never finish them. Zzzz

Also Chrono Trigger is a perfect game so whatever

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mario rpg on the SNES actually is the best tho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually, the long-rear end game genre peaked when I was at an age where I had greater patience with games and tons of free time to play them

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mother 3 is better than earthbound.

And while we're throwing out nominations, the best rpg might be the thousand year door

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's Valkyrie Profile 2 actually

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anyway now that we've established that snes rpgs are dated let me tell you about the real best rpg, breath of fire 2

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

On another note, has anyone played Kingdom: New Lands? It looks really nice, and I considered buying that too.

I enjoyed the first game on PC, so I took the plunge and bought New Lands on Switch. It's a pretty straightforward game, you collect gold to upgrade your little fort + transform vagrants in the woods into your loyal servants, and work to rebuild a boat to travel to a New Land. The game itself is a lot of fun, and I've probably played more than 25 hours both handheld and docked. There is a huge glaring issue though, the port is terrible when it comes to fps in later Lands that you travel to. Severe slowdown at night when monsters are attacking, or during the day when the weather kicks in. It gives me a bit of vertigo, I guess, but I don't mind it enough to stop playing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

cheetah7071 posted:

I stopped being interested in jRPGs when it became clear that the primary audience was sperglord pedophiles

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cheetah7071 posted:

:thunk:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Picross S soon. I am excited.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

I enjoyed the first game on PC, so I took the plunge and bought New Lands on Switch. It's a pretty straightforward game, you collect gold to upgrade your little fort + transform vagrants in the woods into your loyal servants, and work to rebuild a boat to travel to a New Land. The game itself is a lot of fun, and I've probably played more than 25 hours both handheld and docked. There is a huge glaring issue though, the port is terrible when it comes to fps in later Lands that you travel to. Severe slowdown at night when monsters are attacking, or during the day when the weather kicks in. It gives me a bit of vertigo, I guess, but I don't mind it enough to stop playing.
I'm hanging out for the next one, Kingdom: Two Crowns, which adds co-op. I think it'll be more fun figuring out what stuff does with two of us. Only problem is that it won't be out until next year.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

spit on my clit posted:

its because they're too busy playing it

or that. :v: I haven't been keeping up with it because I prefer my golf games to be Neo Turf Masters, which is on the Switch

unrelated: why is there no Switch Yokai Watch?

Yokai Watch is as good as dead in Japan, and treading water in the US AFAIK. Probably won't see a Yokai Watch game on Switch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

enojy posted:

Yokai Watch is as good as dead in Japan, and treading water in the US AFAIK. Probably won't see a Yokai Watch game on Switch.

noooo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't call it as "good as dead". The anime is still running. More games are coming out.

It's more like heavily diminished.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What happened, wasn't it the new hotbed for a bit there?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, but its prominence started dropping off in late 2015 and most of 2016.

Level-5 has a tendency to push their big properties heavily and then they sort of burn out for a bit.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 28, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also a new good Pokemon came out

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The worst jrpg is ni no kuni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Enjoyment of a game is relative as poo poo, but 9 year old me poo poo bricks for Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, and luckily I can slowly feed off of that making GBS threads via nostalgia.

I'll never like a newer rpg more.

And I should refresh before posting.

• Locked thread