Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Mans posted:

Goons be like "The AI is retarded and barely a challenge" in one post and immediately after go "I don't care about MP".

If you want Human like inteligence from your opponent then that's exactly why there's multiplayer.

To be fair I have certainly encountered people who were worse than the AI at this game. In shogun 2 60% of my wins were people ignoring the extremely obvious group of yari cavalry flanking them while simultaneously leaving their general completely unprotected.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

I ride bikes all day posted:

This same discussion came up right before War of the Chosen dropped for XCOM 2. Is this like a thing now?

Why do developer make new game that better and not improve old game for free?

Wasn't there for that but did no performance or UI or other non-expansion improvements make their way into a patch for the base game?

I come from Paradox where that poo poo happens with every single DLC drop.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Vlex posted:

You got a source for that? Asking out of genuine curiosity.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/22/total-war-warhammer-officially-revealed-with-trailer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wasn't there for that but did no performance or UI or other non-expansion improvements make their way into a patch for the base game?

I come from Paradox where that poo poo happens with every single DLC drop.

yeah, Paradox can pull it off mostly because they design around doing that from moment one, with the miiinor side effect that as in Victoria eventually you reach a point where you've piled enough tweaks on top of other tweaks everyone's terrified of touching any subsystem for fear they'll blow the whole thing up

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Regarding the title, the judges would have also accepted "Come on the Slann, and Skaven kill-kill Mann"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Carcer posted:

To be fair I have certainly encountered people who were worse than the AI at this game. In shogun 2 60% of my wins were people ignoring the extremely obvious group of yari cavalry flanking them while simultaneously leaving their general completely unprotected.

Sounds like we already have human level battle AI then.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Well then

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Sounds like we already have human level battle AI then.

I'd agree, except the AI at least makes a token effort to intercept with spearmen or cavalry or something.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Carcer posted:

I'd agree, except the AI at least makes a token effort to intercept with spearmen or cavalry or something.

The AI has the advantage of always being able to see all it's troops, it has awareness of the battlefield that far surpasses that of a human (this makes Ai's really good at micro in general), it's just generally less capable of making a good decision with that information than a human would. So, an AI is more likely to notice you pulling such a maneuver, but a human if they notice it is more likely to properly counter it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Carcer posted:

Yeah, honestly the thing that holds up the battle AI the most is that the campaign AI is often too bad to give them a decent army composition so they run too archer-heavy, making fast units disproportionately good at killing them even if they do try to flank. Things like the quest battles (when you select them from the menu so your comp is also set) you can see that the AI isn't bad at all.

This is also why the few times I jumped into MP I got a really big lesson in the importance of an adequately sized front line: the AI usually doesn't have one so you don't really need one either.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Making genius level AI would be completely useless to most players, of which I estimate 95% would reload if they ever lost a battle.

The current AI actually performs quite well even vs a player when it can take advantage of its strengths (controlling an unlimited # of units at one instant). 40 vs 40 battles are great if your computer can handle them, and I wish the series would crack the 20 unit limit armies have had for a long time.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 27, 2017

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

Gork is the god of tactical strategy

Mork is the god of strategic tactical

Mork will flank you when you not looking and Gork will flank you twice as hard when you are.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 27, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gork is the god of tactical strategy

Mork is the god of strategic tactical

Sedisp posted:

Mork will flank you when you not looking and Gork will flank you twice as hard when you are.
It's the other way round, ya Zoggin' gits! :orks101:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can we use a VPN to launch early?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It will never not be funny to me that GW got so sick of writing fluff where the orks didn't know which one was Gork or Mork, that they just picked

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tenzarin posted:

Can we use a VPN to launch early?

No, it's unlocking the same time everywhere.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
2:30 am CST here. :shepicide:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Hey middle US buddy

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Safety Factor posted:

same, but I have no obligations and plenty of caffeine.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Railing coke and pretending its Warpstone powder.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tardcore posted:

same, but I have no obligations and plenty of caffeine.

I'm telling myself this is a really bad idea

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Railing coke and pretending its Warpstone powder.

Be careful, don't want to summon a SWAT team

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

I'm telling myself this is a really bad idea

I'm CST too. One 8am class tomorrow then I'm free, I can make it right? I have a coffee machine, 24 coke zeros, and an undying love for elves.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's the other way round, ya Zoggin' gits! :orks101:

Mork Boyz 4 Lyfe has Declared war on you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I have so much stuff going on Thursday, but at least most of it involves actually interacting with friends so it'll be almost as good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

I have so much stuff going on Thursday, but at least most of it involves actually interacting with friends so it'll be almost as good

hah, look at this nerd!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hah, look at this nerd!

Hey, I'm going to hanging out with friends tomorrow too.

The Lizardmen are real, and strong, and my friends.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Part of it is for a boardgame night so I clearly just need to bring Warhammer Diskwars

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

Part of it is for a boardgame night so I clearly just need to bring Warhammer Diskwars

better yet, bust out actual whfb :black101:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This game will be ready to play when I get home from the gym tonight.

Do you even lift ratman?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My allegiance is to skaven but I want more gunpowder units for them... I'm conflicted. Lizardmen will probably be much easier for a first campaign and they also own hard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going with poncy elves first and no-one can stop me except for the fact that I don't play much total war and I'm poo poo at it

So I will probably get a shitload of elves killed

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
someone roll a dice for me and make me choose

high elf
dark elf
skaven

which one first

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm going to hit Skaven first, because I like new and different things but I'm pretty sure they play kinda like Skarsnik gobbos, one of my least favorite factions. Lizard men is next. gently caress all elves

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Everyone should remember that you'll have to wait a while for the pre-loaded game files to be encrypted and unpacked and stuff.

This will be totally forgotten once the game unlocks and the thread will be flooded with complaints of install and such taking forever even though they pre-loaded.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

someone roll a dice for me and make me choose

high elf
dark elf
skaven

which one first

rats1, emos2, chads3: 1d3 2

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
emos it is

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it seems like skrolk will be the best LL for skaven to start cause he gets those great skaven spawning powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

it seems like skrolk will be the best LL for skaven to start cause he gets those great skaven spawning powers

Honestly Skrolk just looks a lot better in general. Skrolk is this crazy strong Magic Rat with a bunch of unique powers and items and crap who's also kinda decent in melee, while Queek is just your extra-stabby generic Rat Lord except he can't ride any bigger rats.

Not to say Queek isn't worth taking for a spin but I don't think he'll get much play even in MP. Life is tough out there for melee duelist lords without a mount.