Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[quote="“OneEightHundred”" post="“476704868”"]
DIY crap for Halloween:

I need to rig up something to hold a small puck light above a fake gravestone at an angle, preferably something that I can either mount to the back of the gravestone or place on the ground behind it that is inconspicuous. The puck light has a small hole in the back that I can use to mount it if I can secure a bolt somehow, or I can mount it with adhesive. Something like a tripod mount with an adjustable suspension arm would be fantastic.

Anyone have a recommendation on what I can do or buy to accomplish this?

I have enough tools to do some woodworking if necessary but I’m wondering if there’s something modular that I can just use instead.
[/quote]

Does it need to be above the tombstone? I use some small DIY pvc led spotlights in my graveyard that stick into the ground in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

drat Bananas posted:

Asking for a friend, but posting in 1st person for readability.

USA: If I go to the post office and ask, can they tell me the specific names of people who can get mail at my house (that I own)? Basically, to check if a particular resident has filed a change of address away from my house? I don't care to know the new location, just want proof that a resident has basically claimed they are no longer a resident of my house. "Tenant" (no lease, no rent/utilities ever paid) refuses to give back her key because she believes the house still contains her belongings (it doesn't). She hasn't slept here in weeks, just keeps showing up to dig through possessions (and take whatever she wants, especially if no one is home).

I know that simply changing the locks is considered an illegal "self-help eviction" method, but now we have dated photographs of her loading a U-Haul a couple weeks ago and if we can get proof from the post office that she no longer gets mail here, I think we have a good footing to change the locks legally.
Change the locks, yesterday.

This is not a self-help eviction, she's already out.

You took pictures of the u-haul. Also take pictures of the empty room she vacated and the keys she left behind (hint, hint).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bought some beefy hairclippers a few years back. It came with a small bottle of oil that you were meant to apply after each use, to keep the blades running smoothly. The bottle has been lost since then, and even when the device was fully charged, the blades have a hard time moving.

Am I alright to spray some WD40 on the blades to lubricate them, or is that dangerous if I plan on using the hairclippers on my body / beard? Been using argan oil in the meantime, but it doesn't do a very good job of loosening the blades up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
WD40 is a poor lube, use a drip or two of any light oil you may have laying around.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

WD40 is a poor lube, use a drip or two of any light oil you may have laying around.

like light cooking oil? I assumed WD40 was amazing, cause I spray some on my door hinges and it'll make it super quiet and smooth to open and close. Doors kept jamming cause the latches were a bit stiff, sprayed some in there and they opened and closed perfectly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

like light cooking oil? I assumed WD40 was amazing, cause I spray some on my door hinges and it'll make it super quiet and smooth to open and close. Doors kept jamming cause the latches were a bit stiff, sprayed some in there and they opened and closed perfectly.

No, like any light non-cooking oil. WD40 is primarily a water displacer with a little bit of oil and solvent mixed in. It works for a lot of stuff as a short term thing but it gums up and starts sticking pretty quickly. The real "do all" spray is Breakfree CLP, but just go buy a little thing of 3in1 oil and use it for all your non-food oil needs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bongwizzard posted:

No, like any light non-cooking oil. WD40 is primarily a water displacer with a little bit of oil and solvent mixed in. It works for a lot of stuff as a short term thing but it gums up and starts sticking pretty quickly. The real "do all" spray is Breakfree CLP, but just go buy a little thing of 3in1 oil and use it for all your non-food oil needs.

They sell a 3-in1 knock off at the pound shops.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Singer Oil is what I use, like the sewing machines.

Your mother/aunt/grandmother almost certainly has a bottle of it lying around.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if you can find it, CLP is a pretty great product. My preferred lubricants for most anything is ATF fluid and white lithium grease, but I have a lot of strong lube opinions.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've ordered a 3-in-1 oil from Amazon for £2.50, thanks for the help guys.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been working this job for 3 weeks now and I can tell I'm going to hate it, and I shouldn't work here, is it better in my resume to quit, not putting the job on there, continuing looking for work without the job on there, or to look for new work with the new job on there?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

I've been working this job for 3 weeks now and I can tell I'm going to hate it, and I shouldn't work here, is it better in my resume to quit, not putting the job on there, continuing looking for work without the job on there, or to look for new work with the new job on there?

I'd say keep looking with the resume you used to get this job. So your second listed option. If they ask during the interview you can say that you found a temporary employment to get you by for the time being, but you don't feel that it is applicable to the position you are applying for.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Leave it off the resume.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got the option of doing my Master's in Mechanical Engineering in either America or the UK. People I speak to seem to have conflicting reports. Some say it's better to do your Master's in the UK and your PhD in America, other's say vice versa.

I feel like going to America to do a year there would be good for me, I'm about sick and tired of the UK for now. But ultimately, I don't want to put in all this time and effort and graduate with something that's not as good as it could be. Or is this entire thing bogus and it's purely dependent on the actual university I pick? I'd either go to California or (maybe) Toronto in Canada, and if I did it in the UK, I'm gonna gun for a top 20 university for Mech Eng.

So tl;dr is: does it matter where I do my Master's, or does it only matter based on the university rather than the geographical location? My dad said a lot of students that graduate from America and work in the engineering company he is in aren't as competent as employees who graduated from the UK.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Canada takes engineering masters' degrees really, really seriously. Honestly, I would do that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ultimately no matter which of the three countries you do it in, there's plenty of good schools to do masters and PhD research. UK might cost the least all told but if you plan to work or research in North America as your goal it's best to do us and Canada schools. And you'll probably have an easier time getting a more permanent visa on the way to permanent resident permit in Canada for what it's worth.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You bake something on Monday that uses milk.

The milk left in the jug/carton sours on Wednesday.

Is the cake still good on Thursday?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

You bake something on Monday that uses milk.

The milk left in the jug/carton sours on Wednesday.

Is the cake still good on Thursday?

Probably. Because it's been cooked, moisture removed, sugar added, proteins denatured. At this point it has little in common with the milk jug it came from.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've been looking for something similar, and my brother recommended this to me since he enjoyed it... This isn't a print book, but it might fit your bill -- there's a "Great Courses" audiobook you can listen to through Audible called "The 23 Greatest Piano Works" by Robert Greenberg. It takes you chronologically through these pieces and Greenberg explains not only what makes them so special as individual musical works but also gives the backgrounds of the various composers and what makes them so important to the field of music.

The nice thing about this over a print book is that you hear the music being discussed throughout the lectures about them (recorded specifically for this audiobook by three well-known pianists) ; the downside is that it skips the music of composers (like :worship: Rachmaninoff :love: :ussr:) that the publisher couldn't get the music rights to. 19 composers are covered including Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Scriabin, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Copland, and Prokofiev.

Amazon link

I've only listened to the first chapter so far (which is just an intro on being a professional concert pianist) but I'm liking it. Greenberg makes the case that most composers and conductors were at least competent if not accomplished pianists, hence using piano music as the entryway to classical music.

Another non-book source I've found really interesting is Benjamin Zander's "Interpretations of Music" videos on youtube -- Zander is the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic, and in each video he works with a music student (of varying skill and talent) on a particular piece of music which he breaks down with them and often gives the background of the composer, what this piece is all about, what the historical context was for it when it was written, etc. The video on Gabriel Faure's "Elegie" is my favorite so far.

Thanks very much! That looks like the audiobook version of what I'm looking for. I'll check it out.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
ignore this minor cock up

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Have there been any big Apple security breaches recently? Last night someone logged into my apple ID and used find my phone. So they've got my home address now I guess. They also enabled something called lost mode, but they didn't actually lock my phone or anything. I've changed every single password for everything ever which sucked major balls, reformated/reset to factory every single device I own just in case. Nothing else has had any weird log ins or anything in the time it took me to do all this. What was the point of this lost mode/getting my home address? Is some creepy russian going to show up at my house and sell me some land in Nigeria?

I haven't actually used my apple ID for anything in years. I don't buy apps or music, I don't use iCloud. I use my phone almost entirely for making phone calls so this is weird for me.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I think the house I'm renting didn't originally have a garage attached to it which is why there is a window connecting the garage to my room. I believe insects crawl into my room through that window as most bugs I spot in my room are on that side of the wall and the fact the window doesn't actually properly close, leaving gaps. So I boarded it up, now I'm looking to seal the edges and my question is: Caulking the bottom of the boards makes me worried the caulk might drip off onto the floor before properly setting, what would be the best way to handle that? I can take it sections at a time and hold the caulk in place with a board or something, but I'm worried when I've held it long enough to hold it will peel off when I pull back whatever I was using to keep it in place.

Image if that helps any

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Personally I'd remove the boards and just caulk up the window - it'll look a little less ghetto, even if it is just a window to the garage.

Treat your insect problem. A bug bomb in your bedroom and a bug bomb in the garage will render everything dead in a day. That will help with your problem.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Leal posted:

Caulking the bottom of the boards makes me worried the caulk might drip off onto the floor before properly setting, what would be the best way to handle that? I can take it sections at a time and hold the caulk in place with a board or something, but I'm worried when I've held it long enough to hold it will peel off when I pull back whatever I was using to keep it in place.

caulk is pretty thick, dude. Just don't go hog wild like it's ez cheez or whipped cream and you'll be fine

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what's the difference between these two? the clock speeds are different but I don't actually know what that entails or whether I should get the one with a higher clock speed, or if the boost to clock speed is negligible and I should just get the cheaper one.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Is there a way to download all the pdfs from a page like this: https://www.incharge.org/financial-literacy/resources-for-teachers/high-school/

..without having to click each file individually?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Is there a way to download all the pdfs from a page like this: https://www.incharge.org/financial-literacy/resources-for-teachers/high-school/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/

photomikey fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a gizmo that came with an AC/DC wall wart. I want to run this gizmo off batteries. I'm going to buy a little AA battery holder to power it. The back of the gizmo says "5-12 VDC".

If I use 4 AA's I'll have 6VDC. If I use 8 AA's I'll have 12VDC.

Will it run twice as long on 8 AA's as 4, or is there just a resistor in there burning power and I should only use 4?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Q8ee posted:

what's the difference between these two? the clock speeds are different but I don't actually know what that entails or whether I should get the one with a higher clock speed, or if the boost to clock speed is negligible and I should just get the cheaper one.
We have an entire subforum dedicated to computers.
A stickied thread for upgrading your pc
And a thread just for gpu related banter

DavidAlltheTime posted:

You mean an alternate to right-click>save-as? You could probably find a browser extension that downloads all the files of a certain type on a page. Alternately, in firefox there is an option in the about :config page for re-enabling alt-click as a shortcut for saving; this way you would just have to scroll down the page alt-clicking all the links.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Have there been any big Apple security breaches recently? Last night someone logged into my apple ID and used find my phone. So they've got my home address now I guess. They also enabled something called lost mode, but they didn't actually lock my phone or anything. I've changed every single password for everything ever which sucked major balls, reformated/reset to factory every single device I own just in case. Nothing else has had any weird log ins or anything in the time it took me to do all this. What was the point of this lost mode/getting my home address? Is some creepy russian going to show up at my house and sell me some land in Nigeria?

I haven't actually used my apple ID for anything in years. I don't buy apps or music, I don't use iCloud. I use my phone almost entirely for making phone calls so this is weird for me.

I didn't see anything in the news, but my Apple ID was locked this morning, presumably from multiple bad password attempts (and I have 2 factor on it). Somebody must have been trolling for some new easy to access accounts.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I'm a bit confused about a few emails I've received. I've got some today from a company about someone else's order, but the message details have a different address than mine. Mine is word.secondword@etc, but according to the 'to' field, these were sent to an address without the full stop in it.

No doubt the other person just put in the wrong address when buying something, but why would a message in my inbox say it was addressed to the correct one when I have actually received it? This is with Gmail if that matters.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Austen Tassletine posted:

I'm a bit confused about a few emails I've received. I've got some today from a company about someone else's order, but the message details have a different address than mine. Mine is word.secondword@etc, but according to the 'to' field, these were sent to an address without the full stop in it.

No doubt the other person just put in the wrong address when buying something, but why would a message in my inbox say it was addressed to the correct one when I have actually received it? This is with Gmail if that matters.

Per google,

google posted:

Insert one or several dots (".") anywhere in your email address. Gmail doesn't recognize periods as characters in addresses -- we just ignore them. For example, you could tell people your address was hikingfan@gmail.com, hiking.fan@gmail.com or hi.kin.g.fan@gmail.com. (We understand that there has been some confusion about this in the past, but to settle it once and for all, you can indeed receive mail at all the variations with dots.)

https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

So no idea why you got that email, but you'd get it no matter how many periods they put in it.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Thanks, makes sense.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

I have a gizmo that came with an AC/DC wall wart. I want to run this gizmo off batteries. I'm going to buy a little AA battery holder to power it. The back of the gizmo says "5-12 VDC".

Will it run twice as long on 8 AA's as 4, or is there just a resistor in there burning power and I should only use 4?

4 AAs might be sufficient, unless it has varying requirements and there's a regulator in the circuitry somewhere, then it just won't do the 12v function unless you have 12v worth of source. The most efficient way to up capacity would be to use a larger 1.5v battery, like C Cells or D Cells.

Voltage doesn't really have much to do with capacity. You could get the same voltage as a car battery with 8 AAs, but it won't have the capacity to do much for your car.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

photomikey posted:

Yeah to expand on the prior poster's answer, the gizmo runs on probably 4.5 V, for example. It draws x mA (current) at that voltage to do its function (may vary with what it's doing, like a camera draws different currents to be off, be on, show you a bright screen, write to memory, whatever). The regulator in the front end will still do its job if you present it anywhere from 5-12 V, as long as it can pull the required current from the power source. Battery capacity is in milliamp-hours. So in your example the gizmo is going to pull the same current from 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 batteries. The 8-battery case, having double the mAh, will run your gizmo twice as long as the 4-battery case, with the other ones falling in between.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Per google,

https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

So no idea why you got that email, but you'd get it no matter how many periods they put in it.

I've had this going on for years with someone who has the same first initial and last name as me. But it doesn't seem to happen all the time, only occasionally. Why would it be a sometimes-thing only?

Also WTF Google, you've known about it this long why not do something about it? At least don't let people register email addresses with . in them.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ineptmule posted:

I've had this going on for years with someone who has the same first initial and last name as me. But it doesn't seem to happen all the time, only occasionally. Why would it be a sometimes-thing only?

Also WTF Google, you've known about it this long why not do something about it? At least don't let people register email addresses with . in them.
:confused: They intentionally introduced this as a feature, of course they've known about this. And what the hell should they be doing about people erroneously giving out email addresses that are not theirs?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ineptmule posted:

You can't register butt.kisser@gmail.com if someone else already has buttkisser@gmail.com or vice versa. So it's not a case of Google allowing two people to have an email address that works out the same.

That other person simply is too dumb to type their correct email.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can't you filter out emails with specific dot patterns? I thought I had something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

:confused: They intentionally introduced this as a feature, of course they've known about this. And what the hell should they be doing about people erroneously giving out email addresses that are not theirs?

fishmech posted:

You can't register butt.kisser@gmail.com if someone else already has buttkisser@gmail.com or vice versa. So it's not a case of Google allowing two people to have an email address that works out the same.

That other person simply is too dumb to type their correct email.

This cannot be the explanation.

To use fishmech's example, my email address is b.kisser@googlemail.com (registered back when Google didn't have the rights to the Gmail name) and the mystery other person's address is bkisser@gmail.com.

The emails intended for him that I receive clearly show to: bkisser@gmail.com in the email header.

To further confuse matters, Google has often offered me the chance to switch @googlemail to @gmail, which seems like a dreadful idea as that will, apparently, make my email address literally the same as this other random dude.