Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Chill Callahan posted:

Was walking to work the other day and noticed a small box of vinyl a few houses down from mine. Starting flipping through them and looked like a bunch of decent jazz. There was another guy emptying out the house and said all the trash bags were full of more records. He said his pops passed on and he couldn't find a buyer for any of them. Ended up giving him $20 and hauling a bunch of trash bags up to my apartment. Not the biggest jazz expert but a few things I found flipping through the first 50 or so.

I'm guessing around 3-400 total?

Nice haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Some more choice nugs.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Nice score!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Unless the rest of it is a bunch of chuck mangione and al Hirt or it's all just trashed that's thousands of dollars worth of records.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It is $20 worth of records for Chill Callahan

That said, fantastic haul. Are a lot of them still covered in cellophane, or just the few you've posted? Either way it seems this dude really Cared for his collection and will doubtless return to haunt his offspring for just hauling it out to the curb.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nice haul indeed

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Hey friends with an extremely expensive hobby that's dumb as heck, I'm gonna be in San Diego for a few days in early October. I figure besides fish tacos and a late night torta I'll hit up a record store in the area. Any recommendations?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

i hate you

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Giga Gaia posted:

Hey friends with an extremely expensive hobby that's dumb as heck, I'm gonna be in San Diego for a few days in early October. I figure besides fish tacos and a late night torta I'll hit up a record store in the area. Any recommendations?

I lived down there a year or two ago. The best stores I found were in north beach.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Banano posted:

i hate you

Yeah I legit feel uncomfortable paying so little later finding out it's such a good collection.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
On a related note, what's the best way to clean a bunch of vinyl? I don't want to spend $$$ on a VPI/nitty gritty/record doctor/etc but if it's that much better than a spin clean I might do it.

e: that squeaky clean from a few pages back looks great I think I'm gonna go for that instead

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 26, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chill Callahan posted:

On a related note, what's the best way to clean a bunch of vinyl? I don't want to spend $$$ on a VPI/nitty gritty/record doctor/etc but if it's that much better than a spin clean I might do it.

e: that squeaky clean from a few pages back looks great I think I'm gonna go for that instead

Those things are much better than a spin clean, but they are also much, much more expensive. Some guy sells a thing you can hook up to a shop vac and I'm told it works very well. I don't remember what it was called, but someone posted it here a couple times. It costs under a hundred dollars.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah either get the squeaky clean or if you're a little more creative and want to save $100 get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Vac-Record-Vacuum-Attaches/dp/B014X2SXY0

and use an old 90s poo poo turntable for the platter or make your own using a lazy susan as the base. You need a shop vac either way. You might also want a record brush for spreading the cleaning solution and something to hold the records for drying.

For the solution use 3 parts distilled water to 1 part isopropyl alcohol (at least 91%) and just a drop or two of rinse agent, I use dye and perfume free laundry detergent.

I swear that squeaky clean dude has doubled his price in the last couple years.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Cool thx for the info. $145 CAD is just around $115 so it's not too bad.

For record sleeves, I'm probably just gonna get some MFSL inner ones and some bags unlimited 3 mil outers unless anybody has some better recommendations

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Record-Inner-Sleeves/dp/B001LQSFKY

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/4186/12-record-jacket-sleeve

I've never had good experiences with resealable record sleeve but I've also seen these recommended

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Japanese-12-Vinyl-Resealable-Outer-Sleeves-100-Pack/productinfo/JPNOUTERLP/

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I think I'm going to go the cavitation route. It's a fair bit of money to layout but as I've got 1500ish records to get through and more arriving all the time using the spinclean is just pissing in the wind at this point. Being able to do 12 discs at once means I have a fighting chance at clearing the backlog and if cavitation does indeed do a much better job than the spinclean it could be 'saving' me money given that even the spinclean converted some (by no means all) G and G- to NM status.

It's a silly amount of money for what it is I know, but there's nothing else that comes close for convenience.

I'm looking at the Pro version from this guy:

http://www.cleanervinyl.com/

he also does a 'drying module' which consists of a case fan and USB psu for $129 :lol:

:20bux: for the mobile fidelity sleeves is much cheaper than here (£25) so I've reverted to Panmer polylined paper sleeves which are half the price and seem a bit nicer than the ones you get (sometimes) with the actual records themselves. They don't seem to be available on amazon.com though.

Why all the hate for Al Hirt? If he's good enough for de la soul he's good enough for me.

Banano fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 26, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

No hate for Al Hirt, just sick of seeing 10 of them in every thrift shop.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Banano posted:

I think I'm going to go the cavitation route. It's a fair bit of money to layout but as I've got 1500ish records to get through and more arriving all the time using the spinclean is just pissing in the wind at this point. Being able to do 12 discs at once means I have a fighting chance at clearing the backlog and if cavitation does indeed do a much better job than the spinclean it could be 'saving' me money given that even the spinclean converted some (by no means all) G and G- to NM status.

It's a silly amount of money for what it is I know, but there's nothing else that comes close for convenience.

I'm looking at the Pro version from this guy:

http://www.cleanervinyl.com/

he also does a 'drying module' which consists of a case fan and USB psu for $129 :lol:

:20bux: for the mobile fidelity sleeves is much cheaper than here (£25) so I've reverted to Panmer polylined paper sleeves which are half the price and seem a bit nicer than the ones you get (sometimes) with the actual records themselves. They don't seem to be available on amazon.com though.

Why all the hate for Al Hirt? If he's good enough for de la soul he's good enough for me.

$379 seems a little steep for couple of 3d printed parts and a motor but that ultrasonic cleaner looks like a good deal

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I told myself I was going to give into the thrift store vibe this weekend and buy the thriftstoriest records I could if I didn't see anything Actually Really Good.

Which is how I went home with a Mannheim Steamroller soundtrack to a PBS documentary from the 80s about endangered species and a Bert Kaempfert record in shockingly good condition.

My trip to Half-Price the day after was far better, but I'm at work right now and I forgot what a couple of the records I bought there were.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'll be going to the Tampa Bay area in a couple of weeks for a day.

Tampa has lots of listings for record shops, but is there anywhere with a decent and reasonably priced prog selection?

Sound Exchange's online database shockingly has a handful of Hawkwind albums (in their warehouse), but they're expensive as poo poo and I'm assuming they're represses. I like digging through crates for slightly beaten-up original stuff and barely listen to anything current because I'm a weirdo.

Also, are there any decent shops in say, Gainesville or even Tallahassee? I assume there's nothing in Ocala.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Earlier this Summer, I finally found an extremely rare CD from 2009 just chilling at toneVendor in St Augustine. I'm 1,500 miles away but I'd definitely give them a look if I were passing through the Old City

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 27, 2017

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

pwn posted:

Earlier this Summer, I finally found an extremely rare CD from 2009 just chilling at toneVendor in St Augustine. I'm 1,500 miles away but I'd definitely give them a look if I were passing through the Old City

Reminds me of when I found a signed Belle and Sebastian poster Goodwill. It was tucked in the record bins for some reason with a clean crease right through the middle. They charged me $0.50 for it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Reminds me of when I found a signed Belle and Sebastian poster Goodwill. It was tucked in the record bins for some reason with a clean crease right through the middle. They charged me $0.50 for it.
Nice! Photo please?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

pwn posted:

Nice! Photo please?

I used a thrift store frame for it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I honestly had no idea that Belle and Sebastian contained neither a Belle nor a Sebastian.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
For some reason I mix up that with Sin with Sebastian.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

I honestly had no idea that Belle and Sebastian contained neither a Belle nor a Sebastian.

I always presumed they were named after the kids show. Coincidentally, I always hated both.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah, they take the name from the 1965 French children's novel and subsequent animated series. I loved the cartoon when I was a babby, and I've loved the band for 19 years :shobon:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've only ever heard of the band.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Traffic's White Lines / Smack My Bitch Up, some classic Ike and Parliament and a very clean Herbie 12" which has only depreciated by 57p in nearly 40 years!

three very charity shop and one very not charity shop finds. Hope Steph doesn't find out I've got one of her records

Chill Callahan posted:

$379 seems a little steep for couple of 3d printed parts and a motor but that ultrasonic cleaner looks like a good deal

I know it's preposterous price for what it is but it will just be so convenient. I'm sure I could jerry rig something up if I had the time but I really don't.

Banano fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 30, 2017

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Beep boop

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
For the fans, it may be time to add to, or complete, that Tom Petty collection.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/?linkId=43025457

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Man I'm glad I grabbed that original pressing of Highway Companion last Christmas.

And I'm even more glad I just caught him a couple of weeks ago in concert.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

rockinricky posted:

For the fans, it may be time to add to, or complete, that Tom Petty collection.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/?linkId=43025457

Maybe not the day that sellers are undoubtedly tripping up on themselves to mark everything up 300%.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That bums me out.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm stupid and waited to buy She's The One. We'll see if Amazon fulfills it still.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The recent reissue is a really good pressing, it sounds great. Now they just need to do Wildflowers.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Barry posted:

The recent reissue is a really good pressing, it sounds great. Now they just need to do Wildflowers.

Yep I'm waiting patiently for that day

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Boinks posted:

Yep I'm waiting patiently for that day

The waiting is the hardest part.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

no broccoli please posted:

The waiting is the hardest part.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I came upon a pile of funk at my local record store and promptly scooped it up.