Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Weatherstripping on the passenger side door and installed the sill plate trim. I had to trim the sill plate since I accidentally made the opening smaller when I replaced the metal edge (oops). I didn't expect to use a hammer to get the stripping over the edge but it was super effective with no damage. The door is now tighter than a.. It's tight. It takes effort to shut it.

Also found out the flooring was just a wee bit too short to go under the sill plate (damnit), maybe because of the padding I put on top of the hump (double damnit). I feel like this is one of those occasions where things would have been a lot easier if I had a name brand truck and not some orphan. Looks like it's time to glue it, maybe glue a patch over it since I have a bit of scrap material. ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Replaced the passenger side motor mount in my Focus. Factory original part with just under 160,000 miles, it was (not surprisingly) completely shot. Turns out some bad on again/off again front end vibration I was blaming on worn out shocks is now completely gone.

Also replaced the similarly factory original PCV vacuum hose, which IIRC were supposed to be a major maintenance gremlin on the Zetec, I'm kind of surprised how long it lasted. It only recently collapsed in on itself enough and developed a hole to set a lean condition code and started loving with the idle.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 27, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Cage posted:

:highfive:

:gofyourself:

yeah, fair. sorry about that. maybe I didn't need to voice my opinion on the matter.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Elsa posted:

yeah, fair. sorry about that. maybe I didn't need to voice my opinion on the matter.
Nah you're good. Most new edges you see on the road are terribly maintained and are covered in rust spots. And worst of all v6s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

Oh you can do better than that... Possibly NMS/NWS for horrible rust, close your eyes if you're sensitive.
Let's just say this one is in your toolbag if you've been shopping at Harbor Freight recently...

Subframe:

I actually drove this until the rear subframe completely cracked in half, then I ratchet strapped it together with 2x4s and drove it for another 6 months. It was a terrifying car to drive. The steering rack was also... ummm... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QArPq_j-lEU

Jesus. I mean, I know that poo poo happens, but it still amazes me when I see it. Never moving north.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

Jesus. I mean, I know that poo poo happens, but it still amazes me when I see it. Never moving north.

Yea... Crosspost from another thread, but this is what happened after some poking and prodding (and, you know, cutting it off) at the diff cover on my toyota.
poo poo rusts bad

FAKE EDIT: i thought this was a different thread... it's been too hot, I'm dainbread.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 27, 2017

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

So I discovered that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, placed the oil filter of the 2000 F-150 above the front differential in the tightest spot possible. I've been doing long overdue maintenance on this truck after it sat in my uncle's driveway for a couple years, so of course it doesn't spin off by hand. Strap wrench doesn't fit up in the small space. The cap wrench I have doesn't fit the style filter that's on there. Screwdriver punched through won't work because there's no room to move the handle. I finally got it off after jerry rigging a setup that let me get enough torque on the drat thing. I used a ratchet strap, hooked it into the screwdriver hole I punched, looped it around the can, and applied most of my bodyweight on pulling the drat thing down. It's hard to describe the relief I felt when I felt the can give and start to spin.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Twisting the can off and leaving behind the base and gasket is the worst thing.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
That filter bracket is weak along the bottom half and I cracked two while reinstalling them. The aluminum is too soft to hold that pressure against the gasket. There are relocation kits that use machined aluminum for the bracket and would fix that cramped situation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IronDoge posted:

So I discovered that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, placed the oil filter of the 2000 F-150 above the front differential in the tightest spot possible. I've been doing long overdue maintenance on this truck after it sat in my uncle's driveway for a couple years, so of course it doesn't spin off by hand. Strap wrench doesn't fit up in the small space. The cap wrench I have doesn't fit the style filter that's on there. Screwdriver punched through won't work because there's no room to move the handle. I finally got it off after jerry rigging a setup that let me get enough torque on the drat thing. I used a ratchet strap, hooked it into the screwdriver hole I punched, looped it around the can, and applied most of my bodyweight on pulling the drat thing down. It's hard to describe the relief I felt when I felt the can give and start to spin.

drat, that sucks. Should probably just buy the right tool (cap wrench in the right size) for the job next time? I had one like this and didn't have the right size one, so instead of resorting to getting pissed and bloody I just went to the store.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Larrymer posted:

drat, that sucks. Should probably just buy the right tool (cap wrench in the right size) for the job next time? I had one like this and didn't have the right size one, so instead of resorting to getting pissed and bloody I just went to the store.

Yeah, next time won't be so bad. I liberally lubed the gasket and bought a filter that fits into my cap wrench this time around. Removing stuff that's been attached for years off this truck has just been a bear the day I got this thing. Spark plugs are next and I think I'm going to just concede and let an actual mechanic take care of those.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Yea... Crosspost from another thread, but this is what happened after some poking and prodding (and, you know, cutting it off) at the diff cover on my toyota.
poo poo rusts bad

FAKE EDIT: i thought this was a different thread... it's been too hot, I'm dainbread.

Oh, I get it. I've followed kevbarlas' van thread, after all. It shouldn't amaze me, yet there it is. Much like I'm still amazed at my users' stupid computer tricks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

Oh, I get it. I've followed kevbarlas' van thread, after all. It shouldn't amaze me, yet there it is. Much like I'm still amazed at my users' stupid computer tricks.

:same: so hard on the last part friend. Some days im utterly flabbergasted at that poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

:same: so hard on the last part friend. Some days im utterly flabbergasted at that poo poo.

We had an HR person fall for the "Flash Update needed" bullshit on a website. This is at a company that makes computer security products - antimalware software, firewall appliances, that sort of thing. Embarrassing (but out product contained it.)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

That guy has the patience of a saint. He went from knowing nothing about metal work to being a complete pro by nothing more than extreme patience. I wish I could do it, but alas, I usually want things fixed ASAP so I hamfuck things until they work again...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

We had an HR person fall for the "Flash Update needed" bullshit on a website. This is at a company that makes computer security products - antimalware software, firewall appliances, that sort of thing. Embarrassing (but out product contained it.)

users.

fuckin users.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Sometimes even the right wrench doesn't really help. I ended up drilling some holes in one of mine and running some self tapping screws into the filter so it would grab hold enough to get the filter off. It was that or drop the oil pan (k1200rs has an interesting filter location) again so I could gain enough access to use my favorite filter wrench.

e: That filter wrench has no problem at all tightening the filters but gently caress those filters like to weld themselves to the block.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 28, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had issues sometimes with those cup style wrenches where they don't want to grab on some filters due to different patterns at the cap of the filter. Motorcrafts are some of the worst on that:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I did the oil/filter service on my evo for the second time and got yet another totally different sized filter compared to the last time I did it.

the Mitsubishi one that was on there when I bought it was short and wide.
the Ryco one I replaced it with from one Autostores book was just as wide but slightly taller.
The Ryco one I bought from a different autostore was slimmer but just as tall as the second one.

I suppose a filter is a filter and as long as the gasket Diameter and the thread is the same its not that big of a deal but still. Get your poo poo together Ryco.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Galler posted:

Sometimes even the right wrench doesn't really help. I ended up drilling some holes in one of mine and running some self tapping screws into the filter so it would grab hold enough to get the filter off. It was that or drop the oil pan (k1200rs has an interesting filter location) again so I could gain enough access to use my favorite filter wrench.

e: That filter wrench has no problem at all tightening the filters but gently caress those filters like to weld themselves to the block.

THIS IS loving GENIUS.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

users.

fuckin users.

IT

IT never changes.

Galler posted:

Filter manufacturers don't always make the flutes quite to spec, it seems. I had a similar problem getting a filter off my Crown Vic with the correct wrench for it's first oil change under my care. Ended up using a strap wrench.
I'll have to remember your screw trick if it happens again. That's brilliant.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

IT

IT never changes.

we all float down here

(and by down here I mean in a glass of whisky)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

we all float down here

(and by down here I mean in a glass of whisky)

Wrong IT, but I will accept the answer.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Gapped all my new plugs to .40. Why i did that is a mystery its supposed to be .30 something i very well know. Looks like ill be doing that again tomorrow. It actually runs way better but i cant run ac and lights at idle lol.

E: haha its .35 im completely retarded today

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 29, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

01 GMC Sierra 3500 - New Bilstein 5100's all around, washer fluid bottle/pump/level sensor, and greased the suspension and steering. Also got a new engine oil cap, because when you forget to put it back on it falls onto the exhaust mani and melts in half. :mad:

The old shocks were goners. The new ones are shiny.

Ya the diff cover weeps. Not enough to drip or really affect the fluid level though. Enjoy my southern truck lack of corrosion.

Also picked up one of these:

....Expensive as hell but well worth it. Rated same as the hitch too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Weatherstripping and trim on the drivers side door, installed the passenger side fuel tank, new thermostat housing gasket that I suspected was leaking since I had to stack washers for one of the two bolts, fixed with new bolts and one of them 1/4" shorter, replaced my busted antenna with a new one which was wobbly so I had to crimp it tighter, and therapeutically cleaned the garage.

Work left:
Drivers side fuel tank install
Put the hood on
Loosen the steering box I over tightened
Install the bench seat
install the gas pedal
Modify the airbox mount
EFI tuning.

Hey not bad!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Put an oil pan baffle in the S2000 last night, was somewhat difficult to get the pan back on so I was hoping it would seal. Welp, tiny little seep. Guess I'll try putting RTV over the area rather than pulling the pan back off :suicide:

Also got an alignment something like this:
-3.7* camber front, -3.2* camber rear. 0 toe front, .24" total toe in rear, 7* caster.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 3, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Foreshadowing ... I'm going to get you, P0135 and P0155

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Put an oil pan baffle in the S2000 last night, was somewhat difficult to get the pan back on so I was hoping it would seal. Welp, tiny little seep. Guess I'll try putting RTV over the area rather than pulling the pan back off :suicide:

Also got an alignment something like this:
-3.7* camber front, -3.2* camber rear. 0 toe front, .24" total toe in rear, 7* caster.

heh if you think the rtv is going to stick to an oily surface now.

That sucks dude.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Got new CORRECT BOLT PATTERN front rims mounted and took it for a burn.

Up next, swap the studs out on the one wheel that has left hand threaded studs and get longer shinier lugs.

Someday. When I have time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

heh if you think the rtv is going to stick to an oily surface now.

That sucks dude.

yeah, i'm hosed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mom's Avalon again.

New to me window regulator + motor showed up. As I expected, I had to cut the cable on the old regulator to drop the window down a bit - only way I could get to the bolts that attach the window to the regulator. On that car, the window is attached by only 2 bolts, but without an angled 10mm wrench there was no way to get to the bolts without lowering the window (I had a socket set, but no wrenches handy).

Pretty easy swap aside from cutting the cable. New motor is a bit noisy and a little sluggish, but works. It's off of a 2000, so that's kinda expected.

Old regulator + motor: the regulator had the cable twisted up pretty badly in the spool. Motor wound up being fine, but I don't have the bits to remove it from the old regulator (some kind of 5 or 6 point screw, but not an allen head). So gently caress it, the noisy one stays. It has a 3 month warranty, and it's pretty easy to swap if you swap them as a unit.

Interior door handle fell apart when I removed the door panel though :argh: - just brittle from age I guess. I superglued it back together for now, but ordered a new one from Amazon (along with the bezel, which I managed to crack the first time I had the door open). At least the door panel comes off really easy on this car.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I flipped my JDM motor over on the stand. Oil cooler and pan are dented so I guess I'll take that off the motor in the car. Wish I had a second stand, I don't so I guess I'll just pull the parts before I pull the motor.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gerblederp posted:

Got new CORRECT BOLT PATTERN front rims mounted and took it for a burn.

Up next, swap the studs out on the one wheel that has left hand threaded studs and get longer shinier lugs.

Someday. When I have time.

im jealous, that is a cool car

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Galler posted:

oh my god

if you are ever in central mass, the beer is on me. Holy poo poo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

(some kind of 5 or 6 point screw, but not an allen head).

That just sounds like Torx :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:doh: It probably is, come to think of it.

I have a Torx set... somewhere.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
PSA: Check yo engine mountz

e: Also, my pan isn't leaking, it was just some left over schmoo. Thank baby jesus.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 5, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

e: Also, my pan isn't leaking, it was just some left over schmoo. Thank baby jesus.

The best feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

PSA: Check yo engine mountz

Did it get smoothed out with a buncha schleem?