Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

The only reason Ferrari are not still called Ferrari Marlboro is that it's completely illegal to do so

I think about this from time to time and try to figure out exactly what Marlboro is getting out of their current agreement. They can't put their branding anywhere near the team or sport. They got goomba stomped for the barcode logo because it REMINDED people of tobacco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

No clue what the market is over there but you're about ten years too late for that over here.

10 years? More like never. 2000 MY cars were like 20k a decade ago in Ontario and in TYOOL 2017 the same cars with more miles on them are, uh, also 20k.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gasly is only .5 back of the leader in Super Formula. He's seemed to take to it better than Vandoorne has, although one of his wins only came from Kobayashi's crew screwing up.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

BubbaGrace posted:

I think about this from time to time and try to figure out exactly what Marlboro is getting out of their current agreement. They can't put their branding anywhere near the team or sport. They got goomba stomped for the barcode logo because it REMINDED people of tobacco.

They've built up enough of a brand connection that every Ferrari is a Marlboro ad even with no logo, and presumably they get a lot of Ferrari stuff at their own promotional events, plus good tickets to lobby politicians with

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

10 years? More like never. 2000 MY cars were like 20k a decade ago in Ontario and in TYOOL 2017 the same cars with more miles on them are, uh, also 20k.

I doubt you couldn't find one around here for $20k anymore, maybe one that has really been put through the autocross meat grinder or riced to poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I doubt you couldn't find one around here for $20k anymore, maybe one that has really been put through the autocross meat grinder or riced to poo poo.

it probably doesn't help that S2000s were $52k here for their entire production run.

The dollar went from $0.60 US to $1.00 US? honda dgaf

e: 15 year rule, you can get JDM S2000s! RHD, more pure, more japanese, more vtec

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

I've been drinking and you have my full attention. What am I looking for on Auto Trader tonight?

Send me Lewis Juice.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
'Goons' will know that I am a man with considerable patience and I allow almost everyone to comment on this forum (as long as they do not post anything positive about Hamilton), however there are limits to my patience. Writing sensibly about sport-related politics can unleash some pretty interesting emotions amongst readers. Some are rational, some not. People, of course, feel emboldened by the anonymity of the internet and believe that they can be as unpleasant as they like, without fear of any response. This is a false assumption because unless you have taken some fairly complicated precautions, which the average mouth-breathing jerk does not think to do, most messages can be traced – if one knows the right people to do it.

Edit -
I thought readers might like to see the kind of response one gets. This particular one comes from a man who calls himself 'Wicka', which is, of course, a fake name. This paper tiger, who we shall call Wicka, left a fake email address as well (I tried it), in the finest traditions of heroes through the ages, but I thought I would share his thoughts, just so you can see the kind of reaction one can get from people without education, brains or the means to express themselves in a coherent fashion. I am not sure it is worth tracing this particular one, and getting them banned from their email services and so on, but it is worth doing now and then, to remind people that civility is a corner stone of a sensible society.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 28, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

'Goons' will know that I am a man with considerable patience and I allow almost everyone to comment on this forum (as long as they do not post anything positive about Hamilton), however there are limits to my patience. Writing sensibly about sport-related politics can unleash some pretty interesting emotions amongst readers. Some are rational, some not. People, of course, feel emboldened by the anonymity of the internet and believe that they can be as unpleasant as they like, without fear of any response. This is a false assumption because unless you have taken some fairly complicated precautions, which the average mouth-breathing jerk does not think to do, most messages can be traced – if one knows the right people to do it.

Edit -
I thought readers might like to see the kind of response one gets. This particular one comes from a man who calls himself 'Wicka', which is, of course, a fake name. This paper tiger, who we shall call Wicka, left a fake email address as well (I tried it), in the finest traditions of heroes through the ages, but I thought I would share his thoughts, just so you can see the kind of reaction one can get from people without education, brains or the means to express themselves in a coherent fashion. I am not sure it is worth tracing this particular one, and getting them banned from their email services and so on, but it is worth doing now and then, to remind people that civility is a corner stone of a sensible society.

I get this and I lol'd.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Please explain.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Please explain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I am in tears. Such beauty...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lmao

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Holy lmbo

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:discourse:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Hugh Hefner has died.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lnQlxBKcs

Christ, that sound.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Why were the non wet tires grooved back then? I only started watching a few years ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wiltsghost posted:

Why were the non wet tires grooved back then? I only started watching a few years ago.

I think the idea was to slow the cars down and IIRC increase braking distances in the hopes that it would help with overtaking. It pretty much didn't work and mainly had the effect of making aerodynamic grip much more important than mechanical grip which made dirty air much worse.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Cause f1 is really dumb

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

Deliberate attempt to reduce corner speeds/corner grip by reducing the area of the tyre touching the road I think from memory. This might have been for safety reasons or to try to reduce overall traction to try to promote closer racing but I might be imagining that last part.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Searching grooved tires lead me to this. Make cars green Fuji 2008.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love the 2008 cars. All of them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

I love the 2008 cars. All of them.

:agreed:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

Deliberate attempt to reduce corner speeds/corner grip by reducing the area of the tyre touching the road I think from memory. This might have been for safety reasons or to try to reduce overall traction to try to promote closer racing but I might be imagining that last part.

I can confirm the first part, but the second makes sense too even if they never outright said it.

Additionally, I could have sworn the fronts had 3 grooves until the mid-2000s but my memory is hazy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

I can confirm the first part, but the second makes sense too even if they never outright said it.

Additionally, I could have sworn the fronts had 3 grooves until the mid-2000s but my memory is hazy.

Yeah started out with 3 grooves

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It pretty much didn't work and mainly had the effect of making aerodynamic grip much more important than mechanical grip which made dirty air much worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Christ I hate late 90s-early 00s F1 cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a real shame as the '97 cars finally got the high nose look right.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

BubbaGrace posted:

I know this one. Marlboro bought Ferrari’s sponsorship. They pay Ferrari a huge wad of cash, then people like ray ban pay Marlboro for advertising space on the car and all the perks that come with it. If Ferrari do well then they could turn a tidy profit, and this is why Mr. Arrivabene, Vice President of Marlboro marketing for 20 years, is now running the team.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Ferrari logo is also the Marlboro one

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hey so this the F1 thread? I like Mark Webber, am I welcome here?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

With god-awful opinions like that you'll fit right in.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Perfect! I also like Kamui Kobayashi, so give me hell.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

All Australians are subhuman and Webber is a big bitch who got owned by the best driver in F1, Sebastian Vettel.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

track day bro! posted:

All Australians are subhuman and Webber is a big bitch who got owned by the best driver in F1, Sebastian Vettel.

Reported for racism, and supporting Ferrari. Which goes hand in hand

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
However big Koba is insanely FTW and he should come back to F1, his record quali lap at LeMans was insane.

You Am I posted:

Reported for racism, and supporting Ferrari. Which goes hand in hand

I'm definitely not owned by this! (yet)

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 28, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

With god-awful opinions like that you'll fit right in.

track day bro! posted:

I see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

tuo posted:

I like Dan "The Man" Ricky D and Maximum Overdrive--the movie about evil trucks, not a Verstappen pun--so welcome to the club

• Locked thread