Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

extremebuff posted:

chaos witch is such an awesome boss and has great music. also dark souls 1 really hides its bonfires and makes them scarce and it feels so good to find them and be able to heal up, in ds3 and bloodborne the bonfire/lamps and shortcuts are always in kind of expected places and every boss gives you a bonus rest spot

i still wonder about that scrapped mechanic in ds3 where you would have used enemies to embed a coiled sword through to make bonfires. it could have been cool for challenge runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I went through 2-2 wondering the entire time when I was going to get a bloodborne-style shortcut to go back to the beginning and started freaking out when I realized I had to repeat the entire level if I died

hahaha yes, the feeling of actually having progress and a full purse of souls on the line is a tension i've forgotten..in ds3 youre always 20 seconds away from a checkpoint lol

HolePisser1982 posted:

i still wonder about that scrapped mechanic in ds3 where you would have used enemies to embed a coiled sword through to make bonfires. it could have been cool for challenge runs

woah ive never heard of this, so you wouldve had a finite number of bonfires you could keep at a time? that wouldve been interesting for a kind of hard mode yeah

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

extremebuff posted:

woah ive never heard of this, so you wouldve had a finite number of bonfires you could keep at a time? that wouldve been interesting for a kind of hard mode yeah

they made a big plastic statue of the coiled sword process for gamescom iirc, when the game was still in development, but heres a good video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6plQj7y0o

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the uploader sanadsk is awesome if you havent seen his videos. the cut content in souls games is always mindblowing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

the uploader sanadsk is awesome if you havent seen his videos. the cut content in souls games is always mindblowing

im watching his vids at work, a lot of interesting things were cut from ds1

was thinking about how stiff and slow you feel in dark souls 1 compared to 3/BB, but it also helps the tension. since your options aren't so flexible and you don't feel as in control and powerful any fight can be scary, especially when you're constantly forced to fight in narrow hallways, near death pits etc., they never want you to feel comfortable past the tutorial bits.

also it feels like you take WAY more damage in this compared to ds3, and estus completely locks you in place and is a lot slower so you're really encouraged to play carefully and take any threat very seriously.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gaping Dragon isn't a hard boss, but that entrance is still super impressive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I decided to do some Roleplay for my run so im playing as Venom "Punished" Solaire, wearing solaire's armor until Anor Londo and then im going to kill qwyn and wear his outfit while wielding the Chaos Blade.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I decided to do some Roleplay for my run so im playing as Venom "Punished" Solaire, wearing solaire's armor until Anor Londo and then im going to kill qwyn and wear his outfit while wielding the Chaos Blade.

lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm not good at mimicking the MGS codec conversation style, but i'm still imagining some pretty funny interactions with the dark soulsiverse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New wrinkle but im rolling with it:

I wont remove this curse until Gwyn has been felled by my katana.

In Training fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 28, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You've killed Solaire? He wasn't one of our targets...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i'm not good at mimicking the MGS codec conversation style, but i'm still imagining some pretty funny interactions with the dark soulsiverse
Colonel Campbell/MGS3 Zero is VaatiVidya or one of those other dumb youtube guys calling you up to eagerly ramble about his latest lore theory while you go "huh..."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

annual DS1 playthrough party next week lads

http://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-annual-return-to-lordran-event-starts-next-week/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat this is perfect timing. i can do some darkmoon invading for sure now

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I wont remove this curse until Gwyn has been felled by my katana.

lol, that's funny, but is also going to be a royal pain

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice. I'm definitely down to go back

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, i restarted a week too early. hopefully i can get some O+S co-op out of it though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

gywn isn't in arnor lando :fuckoff:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

gywn isn't in arnor lando :fuckoff:

I meant Dark Sun Gwyndolin

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

You've killed Solaire? He wasn't one of our targets...

lolol

In Training posted:

they really neutered curse in 2 and 3, it is terrifyingly fast in this game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, plus no warping means that you're hypothetically stuck with health where you can die in 2 hits from a hollow while having to go through through 3 different areas to buy a purging stone. i like the more punishing curse, though, it really makes you think twice about going into those areas.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was so mad I got cursed since it's been ages since it's happened to me and I accidentally fell down one of the depths pits and felt like a moron

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I was so mad I got cursed since it's been ages since it's happened to me and I accidentally fell down one of the depths pits and felt like a moron

it probably hasnt happened to me since my very first play through lol. but drat i came close yesterday.

im streaming more ds1 in like an hour, going to sens fortress very soon!

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
thinkin about playing some dark souls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

There's a secret fast way through the Depths, and it's really obvious and stupid.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/bn03 starting the stream

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i never got cursed by the basilisks because i have average reaction speed and eyes

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
huh, better stand in front of this enemy as it slow expands, watch it expel purple gas, and watch this meter fill up.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

i never got cursed by the basilisks because i have average reaction speed and eyes

This

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
always skip the depths and come back later, imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Long Johnson posted:

always skip the depths and come back later, imo

90% of my runs I use master key and just skip that part of the game entirely but im gonna do all bosses on this guy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

huh, better stand in front of this enemy as it slow expands, watch it expel purple gas, and watch this meter fill up.

sometimes i panic while i'm fighting kirk and get backed into them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/WonderfulRichMochaFutureMan

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfaooo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

started from the bottom now we're at gwynevere. im gonna do the painting next then start the final act of the game, hunting the lords

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im going to stream now bc bob got me thinking about it https://www.twitch.tv/in_training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmfao