Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kai Winn is the perfect Bajoran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

she was just trying to unite Bajor, her intentions were good. she was Bajoran Clinton

naem
May 29, 2011

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"Did you have sexual relations with Gul Dukat?"

"WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, that comparison isn't entirely fair. after all, winn won her election.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hey, that comparison isn't entirely fair. after all, winn won her election.

:popeye:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

i think maybe 1 other, maybe 2, other people I could show this to irl and get a laugh

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
There was no reason for the Klingons to speak Klingon after the first 5 minutes. They could have done a "Red October" and called it quits and I wouldn't have to listen to people pretending they are making cow grunts while constipated.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blistex posted:

There was no reason for the Klingons to speak Klingon after the first 5 minutes. They could have done a "Red October" and called it quits and I wouldn't have to listen to people pretending they are making cow grunts while constipated.

I say have them speaking Klingon then the captain says "Activate translator" or something then from them on you hear them in English

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

Who was that even for? The few hundred nerds who've learned klingon?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

All the humans and aliens who joined the Federation speak English - isn't that hosed up? By that I mean, who cares, it's a science fiction show that at its best should explore what humanity means as opposed to other extreme aspects of humanity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I say have them speaking Klingon then the captain says "Activate translator" or something then from them on you hear them in English

Holy poo poo, yes; just acknowledge that the loving thing exists once in a while.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone else find the space battle a little . . . too zoomed out? It looked like they forgot to get in close to show us what was happening. There were a few shots of the star fleet ships getting hit, but for the most of it the camera was too far away from the action. I even found it difficult to see who was doing what. There were different colour phaser shots, but it would have been nice to see the star fleet ships use beam weapons while the klingon ships use the pulse ones. That way the battle would have been easier to follow.

One thing I really liked was the cloaked Klingon ship ramming the admiral's ship. These Klingons are not afraid to be underhanded, and it was a cool tactic that looked neat. The Admiral's hologram jumping around and looking confused was a nice touch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the space battle was fine? Mostly because it pisses off the hardcore trekkie fuckers who whine about combat and violence in Star Trek going against the Roddenberry vision of the future. I'm of the mind that action is less important about how it looks than it is about what it conveys, and the fight between the Federation and the Klingons was clearly being presented as a tragic bad thing that should not have happened. Keeping the action at a distance reflects the Vulcan dispassionate approach to conflict, which is then countered by zooming into the interior of the ship to see the human crew face tragedy and emotional trauma. And from the looks of the episode previews, they're really going to hammer home that sparking off a war with the Klingons is not some noble deed for the sake of a cool fight scene, but an absolute disaster with far reaching consequences.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I kinda liked that it was more zoomed out. Most of the time you get such a zoomed in view you can't tell what's going on. Nice change of pace to zoomed out and can't tell what's going on.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I kinda liked that it was more zoomed out. Most of the time you get such a zoomed in view you can't tell what's going on. Nice change of pace to zoomed out and can't tell what's going on.

Maybe my tv sucks, but I found it difficult to differentiate between the two sides during the battle (once they were moving) because the ships were all the same colour and the background was a bunch of asteroids that were a similar colour.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Battle is a confusing mess. If you were a starfleet officer, you could tell what was going on.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Lower Decks"

LAVELLE: (red uniform) What could be so funny? What's so funny about crew evaluations?
OGAWA: Don't worry about it, Sam.
SITO: (gold, Bajoran) Can't we just try and have a good time here?
LAVELLE: How can I have a good time when my career's being decided across the room? Come on. Think promotion. Promotion. Promotion.
TAURIK: (a vulcan) You can't really believe that what you are doing will influence the outcome of your evaluation.
(actually, he will become Vaurik of Voyager)
LAVELLE: Promotion. Promotion. Promotion.
OGAWA: It's a time-honoured strategy, Taurik.
SITO: The Vedeks of the Janalan order maintain a round the clock chant for the benefit of the Bajoran people.
TAURIK: Considering the history of your planet, that doesn't exactly validate what he's doing.

Vulcan :iceburn:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/912142165429583872

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Watching The Naked Now again, and it actually annoys me that you can hear so much noise from the set - the actor's footsteps and sound from the props.

Check out the beginning of the episode, when Picard orders Riker to beam over to the ship, the whole sound track almost explodes with sound of people standing up, moving their consoles and walking!

:goonsay:

e: Okay, so they use Wesley's amazing repulsive beam (never heard of again) to push the Tsikovsky into the ... *ahem* "stellar fragment", which in turn pushes the Enterprise further away. I'm not a space cadet, but would that even work? Equal forces, equal speed - where would the extra power come from? As far as I can figure out, the Tsikovsky would be pushed towards the fragment with the same force as the Enterprise would move away, resulting in zero change?

e2: How in the everloving gently caress is Data affected by a toxin turning carbon into alcohol? I know it's "different", but almost the same antidote works, so it must be similar.

e3: Yar says "It never happened" to Data at the end. Then why did she give him that snow globe or whatever?

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 28, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

brylcreem posted:

Watching The Naked Now again, and it actually annoys me that you can hear so much noise from the set - the actor's footsteps and sound from the props.

Check out the beginning of the episode, when Picard orders Riker to beam over to the ship, the whole sound track almost explodes with sound of people standing up, moving their consoles and walking!

:goonsay:

Literally the first episode after the pilot. They were probably still ironing out poo poo with the sets by that point.

Plus, who's Ford Taurus didn't have squeaks and rattles in it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

brylcreem posted:

e: Okay, so they use Wesley's amazing repulsive beam (never heard of again) to push the Tsikovsky into the ... *ahem* "stellar fragment", which in turn pushes the Enterprise further away. I'm not a space cadet, but would that even work? Equal forces, equal speed - where would the extra power come from? As far as I can figure out, the Tsikovsky would be pushed towards the fragment with the same force as the Enterprise would move away, resulting in zero change?

That's perfectly okay in actual physics, yeah. (Assuming you grant that repulsor beams are a thing, of course. If you want, you can substitute a great big spring or pneumatic piston that pushes the ships apart.) The "zero change" (conservation of momentum) applies to the Enterprise and Tsiolkovsky taken together as one system, not to either ship separately.

It's exactly the same as a rocket. Shoot some gas out the back, and the rocket accelerates forward. The system of ship-and-exhaust-gas also experiences zero change in total momentum, since one part of it is going forward and the other part is backward, in exact balance. But once the exhaust gas has been released, we only care about the rocket.

The Tsiolkovsky probably masses a lot less than the Enterprise, so it'd be moving away from the starting point faster than the Enterprise is. (In the same way, a puff of rocket exhaust is going to be shooting out way faster than the change it imparts to the much heavier rocket.) But apparently the nudge the Enterprise got was still enough.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away

Mother of god...

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Please don't drag that HRC hate in here.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

We're going to Winn so much. You're going to get tired of Winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please Mrs. Kai, I have a headache. Please, don't Winn so much. This is getting terrible.’ And I'm going to say, ‘No, we have to make Bajor great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep Winning.’

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

numberoneposter posted:

We're going to gently caress so much. You're going to get tired of loving. you’re going to say, ‘Please Mr. Trump, I have a headache. Please, don't gently caress so much. This is getting terrible.’ And I'm going to say, ‘No, we have to make sex great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep loving.’

naem
May 29, 2011

...and the pitch! posted:

Please don't drag that HRC hate in here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ah hahaha

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I think Ferengi are typically a lot better with their latinum than Trump is

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
I'll hate who I want when I want, including Hillary Winn.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

But her isolinear data rods...

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away

Doggles posted:

But her isolinear data rods...

Faker news than Jake Sisko's articles on the dominion occupation of DS9

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
IT'S A FAKE.... news

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Guys

The Orville is awesome, I'm absolutely shocked at how much I like it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

MA-Horus posted:

Guys

The Orville is awesome, I'm absolutely shocked at how much I like it

i'm actually upset at how much i like it. like disappointed at myself, disappointed at cbs, just distraught. i hate seth macfarlane

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

when does the new one come out on hulu?