Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Mandrake

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Tiffany is wearing a fat suit for an acting thing, isn't she? It'd be the laziest way to have this conflict while also not having to create any sort of character development for anyone, which is exactly what I imagine Team Evans strives for.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Dustin
September 27

September 8

Who or what do you like, Ed? You clearly hate your son. Your daughter is the favorite, but even she doesn't measure up. You're constantly getting pissy with your servers and treating them like poo poo under your shoe. You're just a miserable old man.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 27, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Presumably his wife but even her elicits a women, snort, always shopping

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Forgotten Backstory

Nancy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really don't know how you all can like this strip when it so often is basically Dustin with a precious child instead of a middle-aged lawyer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I see Guy is already working his favored music into the art.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons I have no idea what this one means

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

http://www.brownstoner.com/history/walkabout-the-great-milk-wars-conclusion/

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Today I learned why Elmer's Glue is called that (and has a bull on the label). Interesting.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really don't know how you all can like this strip when it so often is basically Dustin with a precious child instead of a middle-aged lawyer.

Ed Kudlick << Ruthie

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This obscure reference is 27 years old!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

so help me, i liked this one.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Holy crap that's pretty close!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I must have missed the part where Ghulk changed his last name to Van Hoesen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Spotted in Chicago:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Comic Strip Megathread XVII: MY BISMUTH

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am still so loving irritated that the colorist thinks they are doing their job properly here. This has been going on for so long I can't imagine no one has pointed out how loving awful it looks.

Unless they are actually trolling Johnston, then..... it still annoys me but well played.

I always knew Feuti was good people

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I am still so loving irritated that the colorist thinks they are doing their job properly here. This has been going on for so long I can't imagine no one has pointed out how loving awful it looks.

Unless they are actually trolling Johnston, then..... it still annoys me but well played.
I don't get it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

fondue posted:

I don't get it.

Michael has a tremendous receding hairline and a lovely combover according to the colorist
Also I don't think newspaper funnies have colorists as much as they have a guy who hits the paintbucket tool and clicks wherever, so blame the lovely hair on Johnson not closing her loving lines

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Michael has a tremendous receding hairline and a lovely combover according to the colorist
Also I don't think newspaper funnies have colorists as much as they have a guy who hits the paintbucket tool and clicks wherever, so blame the lovely hair on Johnson not closing her loving lines
She "didn't close her lines" long before newspaper dailies were ever colorized or anyone used a "paintbucket tool" and its a perfectly legitimate art style why the gently caress are you making me defend Lynn Johnson gently caress you

This is also what the gently caress happened to charlie brown and probably the boy from cow and boy too.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Holy crap that's pretty close!
It's the hair that makes it, really.

Oh, Mary! Stop it!

Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (March, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (April, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (August, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (September 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Intelligent Life
I liked Quagmire better when he had hair and was getting laid. Also Gwen and Not-Peter-Griffin are not dating at this point. They're just hanging out on a slightly more regular basis. Is Reddick afraid to draw characters kissing or something?

Brooke's strip about defiling a church/The adventures of Piss Genie
What does Brooke have against cleavage? Every time he tries to draw a low neck-line on one of his female lampreys, it looks like the pectorals of a skinny male gymnast.

Holbrook
(from "on the Fast track")
I'll still defend his work as not really bad or good. It's interesting and doesn't seem to take it's self too seriously. Kinda like the mashed potatoes of the comics page. It's not really noteworthy, but a Thanksgiving meal wouldn't be the same without it.

"The Garf"
Other than skinnier lines, It hasn't really changed much has it?

FOOB
I remember reading that Lynn's son came out as gay and her daughter was no longer speaking to her. Also her husband left her for his assistant. If this is all true, I feel kinda sad for her since I think this is supposed to be a re-imagining of her own life and family.

2000s Spiderman
So when does the Big Gay Logan arc start?

mastersord fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 28, 2017

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Just a reminder that Steve Kelley, who writes the "Dustin" strip, is also a political cartoonist.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I appreciate this joke. They MUST Be Giants.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mister Mind posted:

Just a reminder that Steve Kelley, who writes the "Dustin" strip, is also a political cartoonist.

I can see why he needed an actual artist for Dustin.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You're a real good friend, Gunther, freely sharing all Tiff's personal poo poo with a pair of lookie-loo assholes who've always openly hated her.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street goes whoops

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows beggars can't be choosers.

Working Daze is struck by inspiration.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix non sequiters.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
My exodus into the Peanuts archives continues. I'm up to 1952 now and I'm finding this both fun and fascinating in equal measure. It's kind of amazing to watch these kids slowly morph into the characters we're all familiar with. I really want to talk about my thoughts in more depth but I'm short on time so for now I'll just focus on this bit here that I came across this morning:

*record scratch*

Wait did you say Schroeder? As in that piano playing kid from the TV specials? Isn't he in Charlie Brown's class? How does aging work in this universe!? :psyduck:

Bonus: Patty being a dick to C.B. for no reason:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Aging in Peanuts works like aging in 17776. You're born, you reach a plateau, and then you're stuck forever.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well your mama was an idiot, Fritzi, because the word is "fritter".

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sometimes it's bad, but other times it's good. :shrug:

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940)
I like that they're reading a TDIET book. I wonder if such a book existed and that was some subtle promotion?

mastersord posted:

Intelligent Life
I liked Quagmire better when he had hair and was getting laid. Also Gwen and Not-Peter-Griffin are not dating at this point. They're just hanging out on a slightly more regular basis. Is Reddick afraid to draw characters kissing or something?
It's so loving weird. :stare:

Julet Esqu posted:

You're a real good friend, Gunther, freely sharing all Tiff's personal poo poo with a pair of lookie-loo assholes who've always openly hated her.
Any time you might start to think that maybe Luann isn't the worst comic Evans just has to go the extra mile to retain the title.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 13, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 13, 1996)

Garfield Classic (February 13, 1986)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Aging in Peanuts works like aging in 17776. You're born, you reach a plateau, and then you're stuck forever.

Right. Linus and Sally were brought into the strip as babies too, and Lucy was much younger than Charlie Brown and the rest of the cast when she was introduced.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Selachian posted:

Right. Linus and Sally were brought into the strip as babies too, and Lucy was much younger than Charlie Brown and the rest of the cast when she was introduced.

Well, at some point Linus needed to start quoting scripture every day so he had to be older obviously. Like ten or so, so it would be believable. Also he worships a pagan god in a pumpkin patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Well, at some point Linus needed to start quoting scripture every day so he had to be older obviously. Like ten or so, so it would be believable. Also he worships a pagan god in a pumpkin patch.

I'm sure he could provide a few choice passages to justify his polytheism. Probably mostly from Psalms.

• Locked thread