Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Muster's backstory in the latest Mars Chronicle chapter.

I have to admit, at this point, with the delays, I've kind of totally forgotten where the story was. :ohdear: Gosh, I wonder when Kondasha's going to release the bound volumes of this in the West?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

DrSunshine posted:

I have to admit, at this point, with the delays, I've kind of totally forgotten where the story was. :ohdear: Gosh, I wonder when Kondasha's going to release the bound volumes of this in the West?
Yeah, I'm trying to keep everyone who's been introduced straight, along with "why should I care", but I know Kishiro's got some eventual point for going into Martian history.

US release: I have a sneaking suspicion that Kodansha may be saving up the volumes to put out as Omnibus editions, as they might be easier to sell here. Last Order lends itself much more to binge reading due to the big storylines, and Chronicles appears to be following the same path.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I've pretty much put this series on the shelf until there's a lot more content to go through. I can't bring myself to be very invested in it as it stands.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I've pretty much put this series on the shelf until there's a lot more content to go through. I can't bring myself to be very invested in it as it stands.

Yeah this is how I felt at the start of Mars Chronicles where the Alita/Eric backstory was just so heavy handedly depressing. I only just recently caught up on it and the main story has veered off on another depressing backstory. I guess this stuff has always been hinted at since Ido found her in that junk yard but you can only take so much.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
Not a new chapter, but look what was just announced.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wait, is this the original series?? Did Kodansha finally get the rights to release the first books in omnibus form?! Oh geez. I hope!! The website gives little to no info, but man I really hope that this "deluxe edition" is just that!

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
So chapter 22 part 2 is out...aaand :magical:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this chapter awakened several new fetishes for SOMEONE i am sure

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jello Robot posted:

So chapter 22 part 2 is out...aaand :magical:

:stonk: Is really the right image for it. Holy poo poo. What??. It's so hosed up!! And why does he have to come in a potted plant?! What is this?? :psyduck:

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
Ahahaha, BUCKLE UP. Full steam ahead for Kishiro expanding on the video game's backstory!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I was a couple chapters behind and what the fuuuuuuuuuuuck

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Link for the lazy

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And here's chapter 24 (both parts).

Oh Muster, you wonderful villain :allears:

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
Muster VS Super Nova would be/will be epic should it happen

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wonder if Kishiro has ever read the Count of Monte Cristo or any of those other great swashbuckling classics. This whole arc smacks of that kind of thing!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Latest chapter
:vince:

Fuckin' hell. So now it makes sense how Muster's story ties in!! Geez. Alita's origin is finally revealed! Holy hell, why didn't I see that coming?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DrSunshine posted:

Latest chapter

Fuckin' hell. So now it makes sense how Muster's story ties in!! Geez. Alita's origin is finally revealed! Holy hell, why didn't I see that coming?
what the poo poo so she's a baby that was uh... born? from the maske tumor?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
So the film adaptation is due out next summer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alita:_Battle_Angel

Doesn't look like Jashugan is gonna be in the motorball story :what:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Dang, that's quite a drat cast! I had no idea it was actually going to be, like, finished one day. I assumed it was just something he'd wanted to do but never would.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lamebot posted:

So the film adaptation is due out next summer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alita:_Battle_Angel

:wtc: But Jashugan's, like, central to the whole idea of the story!! The point of the whole arc is that she sees him as a rival figure, something to focus towards, and it's mirrored in his similar fighting style. He's also a kind of redemption and exemplar figure to her -- he's more human than she is due to his devotion and bond to his sister Shumira.

quote:

Christoph Waltz as Dr. Dyson Ido, a scientist who is Alita's caretaker.

They didn't need to change that!! :mad:

EDIT: Also, haha, look at Michelle Rodriguez, playing the same tough girl character again! Aww.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lamebot posted:

quote:

Keean Johnson as Hugo, Alita's love interest who also teaches her to play a gladiator-style game called Motorball.
What the gently caress did they do.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It says Mahershala Ali is playing two roles, one of which is Vector and the other of which is unnamed.

He's a big motherfucker, so I could pretty easily see him as Jashugan if they shot all his Vector scenes first and then had him bulk up for Jashugan. They're also not naming Jackie Earle Haley's role and it's pretty loving obvious he's Desty Nova, so there's a pattern of major villains not getting named in that cast list.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

DrSunshine posted:

Latest chapter

i dont know, it was pretty heavily implied for a while

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Relin posted:

i dont know, it was pretty heavily implied for a while

I know, I'm just kind of kicking myself for not noticing it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

:wtc: But Jashugan's, like, central to the whole idea of the story!! The point of the whole arc is that she sees him as a rival figure, something to focus towards, and it's mirrored in his similar fighting style. He's also a kind of redemption and exemplar figure to her -- he's more human than she is due to his devotion and bond to his sister Shumira.

They didn't need to change that!! :mad:

EDIT: Also, haha, look at Michelle Rodriguez, playing the same tough girl character again! Aww.

Yes they did, because the guy that created Miles Dyson in Terminator 2 is behind it, and it's funny.

Also Daisuke is a pretty Japanese name.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

i cant decide if that movie is gonna suck or not but i already settled on that its gonna feel nothing like the manga

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Darko posted:

Also Daisuke is a pretty Japanese name.

I was going to write "they're not changing Koyomi's name..." but I just saw that the actress is Vietnamese-American.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Not gonna lie, I half-expected "hertza hauen" to happen in one particular moment here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alita trailer drops tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUOV6JpzgI

[edit] Wow, its been over 2 years since I posted in this thread and I still haven't read Last Order.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Trailer's out, and... honestly, I like it? It's been getting a lot of negative reactions because of Alita's eyes, but I can see what they're going for with the effect and it basically works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

It's a weird art choice when it seem like everyone else, cyborg or not, has normal eyes.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Trailer's out, and... honestly, I like it? It's been getting a lot of negative reactions because of Alita's eyes, but I can see what they're going for with the effect and it basically works.

I don't like her eyes and I don't think I will ever. That said, trailer looks good, the eyes won't prevent me to probably enjoy the movie.
Alita doesn't seem to have here berserker body in any of the shots, except maybe when she gives her heart to Hugo (Yugo?), that body being such an important part of the first arc, it's weird, but hey they probably don't have the time to include that in the movie.
Who is the character Connely playing ? She kind of looks like Nova's assistant (Eileen ?) but I don't recall her being in that part. Also no Nova in the trailer so I don't know.
Zapan (?) looks cool, what's-it's-name running Kuzutetsu also. Makaku I don't know.
I want to see more.

Also : you silly americans with your renaming :D "Gally" is vastly superior to "Alita".

e: Connely is playing a character only appearing in the OVA, figures I didn't remember her, I saw it only once 20 years ago on VHS

Zanael fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 8, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I also can see what they're going for... except it doesn't work. Ugh.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 9, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Surely it's supposed to be disturbingly uncanny valley, right? Right??

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I also can't see what they're going for... except it doesn't work. Ugh.

I mean, the point was/is (I'm assuming) that she falls into the uncanny valley because she's a cyborg. That's what they're going for. That was never a sticking point in the manga or anime, so I can see why a lot of fans of the source material, like myself, are all like "Wait, what? Why?" regarding the design decision to give Alita live-action anime eyes.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
No octopus lips pout, no deal :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kassad posted:

No octopus lips pout, no deal :colbert:

I'm guessing shell give the octopus lips pout at the end of film.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Why

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

that face seems so unnecessary, and will distract me the whole film. i've never really bought into uncanny valley personally though. i didn't know grand moff tarkin was cgi until someone told me he was after the film :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I... think it's growing on me? I mean I was basically ready for the movie to be all CG since Cameron talked about it all those years ago but is that because this was always his idea? I guess it'll at least give it more word of mouth but still...

E: Just noticed she's not doing the thumb and forefinger windpipe pinch I thought she was:

ouch.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 9, 2017