Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

which staffers were paid by the end of 2015 by the HVF but whose activities were segregated to the general election?

The staffers paid in 2015 were finance staff that worked for HVF. You can cover fundraising expenses with it, you can't spend it on electioneering activies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Concerned Citizen posted:

They did do that

So you plead guilty~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al! posted:

i wish obama had lost in 08

ironically enough, said loss would have been used to beat down attempts at campaigning on progressive rhetoric and the overton window would probably be even further to the right at this point.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's cool when okay things are bad so bad things become good.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the real what-if had losers become winners was 2000.

would gore have gone to war as gwb did? would we have had pres. lieberman from 2008-2016?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You're fundamentally wrong - HVF funds were not used on Sanders, they were only legally spendable in the general election.
lol absolutely not. the HVF was used to fund hillary's campaign with millions of dollars to fight sanders in the primary

when people complain about dnc bias in the primary, the favorable dnc bias for hillary in campaign financing is the most prominent support the dnc provided

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/clinton-fundraising-leaves-little-for-state-parties-222670

quote:

The venture, the Hillary Victory Fund, is a so-called joint fundraising committee comprised of Clinton’s presidential campaign, the Democratic National Committee and 32 state party committees. The setup allows Clinton to solicit checks of $350,000 or more from her super-rich supporters at extravagant fundraisers including a dinner at George Clooney’s house and a concert at Radio City Music Hall featuring Katy Perry and Elton John.

The victory fund has transferred $3.8 million to the state parties, but almost all of that cash ($3.3 million, or 88 percent) was quickly transferred to the DNC, usually within a day or two, by the Clinton staffer who controls the committee, POLITICO’s analysis of the FEC records found.

By contrast, the victory fund has transferred $15.4 million to Clinton’s campaign and $5.7 million to the DNC, which will work closely with Clinton’s campaign if and when she becomes the party’s nominee. And most of the $23.3 million spent directly by the victory fund has gone toward expenses that appear to have directly benefited Clinton’s campaign, including $2.8 million for “salary and overhead” and $8.6 million for web advertising that mostly looks indistinguishable from Clinton campaign ads and that has helped Clinton build a network of small donors who will be critical in a general election expected to cost each side well in excess of $1 billion.

The arrangement has sparked concerns among campaign finance watchdogs and allies of Clinton’s Democratic rival Bernie Sanders. They see it as a circumvention of campaign contribution limits by a national party apparatus intent on doing whatever it takes to help Clinton defeat Sanders during the party’s primary, and then win the White House.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Also any money donated to HVF counted toward a maximum, so if you donate 2700 to HVF it means you maxed out to HFA. HVF was used to raise huge amounts of general election money from large donors with a single check. The money that was funneled to the DNC was usable by whatever candidate won the primary.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also any money donated to HVF counted toward a maximum, so if you donate 2700 to HVF it means you maxed out to HFA. HVF was used to raise huge amounts of general election money from large donors with a single check. The money that was funneled to the DNC was usable by whatever candidate won the primary.
do you disagree with the politico article that directly contradicts you that the funds were used on the behalf of the clinton campaign to fight sanders during the primary?

the money was not in a lockbox that could only be opened when the GE started

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Willa Rogers posted:

the real what-if had losers become winners was 2000.

would gore have gone to war as gwb did? would we have had pres. lieberman from 2008-2016?

would the earth be habitable at the middle of the century :shrug:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HVF spent $30 million during Q1 of 2016.... all for the general election?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

do you disagree with the politico article?

The Politico article isn't "wrong" but it's incomplete -in the sense that electioneering communications can be loosely defined. If an ad says "support Hillary" and has her face on it, and when you click it takes you to a donation page - is "support Hillary" an appeal for a vote or money? Money is allowable, votes are not. That's probably the diciest thing - however, I'll also point out that HVF's small donor program (ie online ads) was almost entirely paid for by HFA's share of the funds. The DNC only needed to cover the expenses of raising large dollar donations (over 2700) that ended up in their coffers. So even if you consider them
electioneering entirely, HFA still paid for it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i am sure every $ of that q1 spending was used primarily to help raise funds for whoever the GE nominee would be and was not used to bias one candidate over another during the primary :angel:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

HVF spent $30 million during Q1 of 2016.... all for the general election?

Again HVF can pay for its own fundraising. So then 30 million is what they paid for mail and online donor acquisition, which came from HFA's share of the funds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wasn't it funny how Dread Abuela spent so much money on fundraising with her corrupt friends, managed to raise 2X the budget as Trump's campaign but still lost the General election?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Remember when Hillary raised millions to help down ballot Dems, only to take all the money for her own general election campaign?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

etalian posted:

Wasn't it funny how Dread Abuela spent so much money on fundraising with her corrupt friends, managed to raise 2X the budget as Trump's campaign but still lost the General election?

hearing that hilldawg not only didnt campaign in key states but actively stopped others from doing so on her behalf was a laugh riot tell you hwat

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Politico article isn't "wrong" but it's incomplete -in the sense that electioneering communications can be loosely defined. If an ad says "support Hillary" and has her face on it, and when you click it takes you to a donation page - is "support Hillary" an appeal for a vote or money? Money is allowable, votes are not. That's probably the diciest thing - however, I'll also point out that HVF's small donor program (ie online ads) was almost entirely paid for by HFA's share of the funds. The DNC only needed to cover the expenses of raising large dollar donations (over 2700) that ended up in their coffers. So even if you consider them
electioneering entirely, HFA still paid for it
If an ad says "support Jeb" and has his face on it, and when you click it takes you to a donation page - is "support Jeb" an appeal for a vote or money?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

If an ad says "support Jeb" and has his face on it, and when you click it takes you to a donation page - is "support Jeb" an appeal for a vote or money?

Doesn't really change anything. Even with the worst possible interpretation (it's 100% electioneering) Jeb would still be paying 100% of the cost from his share of the money raised, thus nothing is net for the campaign other than not having to spend from the primary pot of money.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Sep 28, 2017

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Remember when everyone was expecting HRC to reveal herself like the Emperor of Mankind at the Woman's March and roll back Trump's technobarbarians and instead she sat at home and wrote a complaint book to stir poo poo up about the 2016 primary, a primary she loving won?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Remember when ya got grifted?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Doesn't really change anything. Even with the worst possible interpretation (it's 100% electioneering) Jeb would still be paying 100% of the cost from his share of the money raised, thus nothing is net for the campaign other than not having to spend from the primary pot of money.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/clinton-fundraising-leaves-little-for-state-parties-222670

quote:

Most of the victory funds ads were executed by the same firm that does advertising for Clinton’s campaign, Bully Pulpit Interactive, which has been paid $8.6 million by the Hillary Victory Fund for online advertising, and $9.2 million by Hillary for America for online advertising and media buys.

Those victory fund ads, as well as a direct mail campaign funded by the same committee, “appear to benefit only [the Clinton campaign] by generating low-dollar contributions that flow only to HFA, rather than to the DNC or any of the participating state party committees,” charged Sanders’ campaign lawyer in an open letter sent to the DNC in April. It alleged that the victory fund was essentially a pass-through to allow Clinton to benefit from contributions that far exceed the amount that her campaign could legally accept.
:thunk:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Yes that the same thing I said?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you were arguing that HVF is nominally for whichever candidate gets the nomination and is not used for the benefit of one candidate over another. please explain to me how if you assume the worst possible interpretation of web ads being used for electioneering that $8.6 million from the HVF (NOT HFA) to an ad company would not constitute using the HVF to bias one candidate over another

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Over Easy posted:

Remember when everyone was expecting HRC to reveal herself like the Emperor of Mankind at the Woman's March and roll back Trump's technobarbarians and instead she sat at home and wrote a complaint book to stir poo poo up about the 2016 primary, a primary she loving won?

Did people write fanfiction about that

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

you were arguing that HVF is nominally for whichever candidate gets the nomination and is not used for the benefit of one candidate over another. please explain to me how if you assume the worst possible interpretation of web ads being used for electioneering that $8.6 million from the HVF (NOT HFA) to an ad company would not constitute using the HVF to bias one candidate over another

The ads were fundraising ads and paid out of the money that was earmarked for HFA. HFA must pay 100% of all expenses related to small donor fundraising, which constitutes virtually all online acquisition. They can pay out of the funds HVF raises but is not yet disbursed to a committee. So no money is used from DNC, all money comes from funds that belonged to HFA.

The best argument you can use is that the ads were really electioneering ads and it allowed them to advertise for Hillary from funds earmarked for general. Sure! I don't think they're very good ads if that's the case, but whatever. That's really unfair to Sanders if he couldn't do the same thing, but he could as he also opened a joint fund with the DNC. He just chose not to use it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

consolidate the data centers so hard that the accumulated data collapses into a data singularity that generates enough energy to power the entire world, thus solving global warming

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm glad the centrist convention is going so well

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jazerus posted:

i'm glad the centrist convention is going so well

looks like theyre consolidating the poo poo outta that data center

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

The best argument you can use is that the ads were really electioneering ads and it allowed them to advertise for Hillary from funds earmarked for general. Sure! I don't think they're very good ads if that's the case, but whatever.
they were blatant hillary campaign ads run during the primary by the Hillary Victory Fund. they even had the loving hillary clinton website plugged directly in them. only hillfolk would not see that they were clinton ads.

a bunch of archived ads (you will need to turn off any adblocking): http://www.p2016.org/blogads/digitaladsclinton.html

tip of the iceberg (all of these ads were run DURING THE PRIMARY):

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The ads were fundraising ads and paid out of the money that was earmarked for HFA. HFA must pay 100% of all expenses related to small donor fundraising, which constitutes virtually all online acquisition. They can pay out of the funds HVF raises but is not yet disbursed to a committee. So no money is used from DNC, all money comes from funds that belonged to HFA.
Are you arguing that the millions in funds from HVF used to pay for ads were earmarked to go to HFA and therefore they weren't really money from HVF? Are you arguing that HFA put money in HVF? I am super confused here what you are arguing.

quote:

That's really unfair to Sanders if he couldn't do the same thing, but he could as he also opened a joint fund with the DNC. He just chose not to use it.
are you paid to write this :wtc:. i seriously doubt that the dnc explained to him the finance shenanigans they planned to pull to get around legal donor limits. i also seriously doubt that the dnc would have helped sanders in this way if they believed the money would go to help sanders in the primaries.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

are you paid to write this :wtc:.

after that joe prince episode of chapo recently its entirely possible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If Obama had lost the primary in '08, Clinton would have won the general, and Obama might have had a chance in '16, too, so that would have been better in terms of time spent under Republicans but the Dem party would be in an even worse state than it is now, also I have a fever of 100.5 so sorry if this didn't make sense

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tip of the iceberg (all of these ads were run DURING THE PRIMARY):

remember when people repeatedly tried to insist "I'm with her" wasn't a campaign slogan

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Democrats technically didn't do anything wrong (to the extent that I'm following CC's explanations, which I cheerfully admit that I am not).

"We didn't technically do anything wrong" is possibly the worst rallying cry in history.

Both of these things can be true. MANY SIDES

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

docbeard posted:

The Democrats technically didn't do anything wrong (to the extent that I'm following CC's explanations, which I cheerfully admit that I am not).

"We didn't technically do anything wrong" is possibly the worst rallying cry in history.

Both of these things can be true. MANY SIDES

Having slaves work at Hillary's mansion wasn't wrong in technical terms.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

remember when people repeatedly tried to insist "I'm with her" wasn't a campaign slogan

nnnno

what

how

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

etalian posted:

Having slaves work at Hillary's mansion wasn't wrong in technical terms.

Technically, neither the slaves nor the mansion were Hillary's.

Technically correct, the worst kind of correct.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

again, the entire point of this diatribe is to show the democrats dont actually give a gently caress about meaningful campaign finance reform. they want to keep the ability in the primaries to have $300,000+ per plate fundraisers with george clooneys so that the dnc can use it for campaign ads for their favored establishment nominee against progressive primary challengers

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No poo poo. But that $26 million for the Clinton Campaign was earmarked for the general. That's why the Clinton campaign got the first 2700 instead of the first 5200.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if that money was earmarked for the general, it still would have given the Clinton campaign more freedom to spend more (from other sources) in the primary (since they knew they would have more to work with in the general).

• Locked thread