Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

There was a bunch of 'between the lines' info through the whole thing. I tried rewatching it again to remind myself of the bigger things but the crappy recording and the very subject itself made me red out in a fit of rage.

From what I do remember from yesterday, I guessed that Sean Tracy either proposed/contracted the face tracking tech or it was dumped on him (judging from how much he talks about it). Either way, when you read between the lines you can see how much he's struggling with it (or, perhaps more apropos, getting SC to work with it), and the longer it went on the more it cemented just how entirely unjustified the whole gimmick was at this stage of development. Also a part that made me laugh was them talking about how crappy Spore's animation was because it's totally fair to compare your assets to those made by a consumer in a game that's 9 years old when your own assets aren't even remotely close to complete.

That's not even mentioning the whole 'dev wearing a shirt that says 'LYING' in bold caps' thing.

:lol:

I don't watch these, but I can't imagine anybody ragging on Spore. Although understandably when Star Citizen began, Spore was only 4 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

HycoCam posted:

Baby Jesus Patch--I lol'd :)

Yeah, it was what I came up with at the time. Seems appropriate :grin:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Crates, vending machines, jackets, and a fat guy. Check the date: CR wasn't lying - 3.0 was out last December.

I don't even see any clipping or jittering, with realistic falling physics. 3.0 is a smashing success!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

when Star Citizen began, Spore was only 4 years old.

:stare:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

I don't watch these, but I can't imagine anybody ragging on Spore. Although understandably when Star Citizen began, Spore was only 4 years old.

:psyduck:

Spore came out only 4 years before Star Citizen began? Has it really been that long? Holy poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

[quote="“Shadowlyger”" post="“476834763”"]
:psyduck:

Spore came out only 4 years before Star Citizen began? Has it really been that long? Holy poo poo.
[/quote]

This is the grim reality Chris was talking about when he said he needed to finish in 2-3 years, or everything will be stale.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

Agent - Is there any way to stop Love Pledge getting review bombed from Steam when it releases?
I'm talking with steam about it now, they are also changing a lot of poo poo regarding reviews (and getting your game on the store)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SC has been in development before the first dark souls released

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SC has been in development before battlefield 3 released

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
#starcitizenfacts - Did u know: In the year Star Citizen started development and young wide eyed child named Usain Bolt went to his first track and field event with his aunt? Over a decade later that same young man was breaking world records in sprint running.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

yes but how many mini and regular strokes has ben lesnick had since star citizen development began

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The Wii U was announced, released, and discontinued in less time than Star Citizen's dev cycle to date. The PSVita and 3DS were also released since dev started, and seem like they're pretty likely to die off before it releases, assuming CIG doesn't just fall apart first.

Things that were brand new in 2011/12:
Skyrim (the actual, original, "holy poo poo it's TESV" version)
The 1.0 full release of Minecraft
Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Telltale's Jurassic Park and Walking Dead games
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Pokemon Black/White
Terraria
Duke Nukem Forever (:laffo:)
Portal 2
Bioshock 2
Diablo 3
The flash-ported version of The Binding of Isaac
Spec Ops: The Line
Borderlands 2
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
Dishonored
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Mass Effect 3
Far Cry 3

This is 50% "I can't believe it's been that long" and 50% "look at what a competent development studio can do in 5-6 years" (referring, of course, to sequels to the above that have come out since. I know you're already screenshotting this, reddit.) :allears:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The Wii U was announced, released, and discontinued in less time than Star Citizen's dev cycle to date. The PSVita and 3DS were also released since dev started, and seem like they're pretty likely to die off before it releases, assuming CIG doesn't just fall apart first.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Pokemon Black/White
Terraria
Portal 2
Bioshock 2
Diablo 3
Borderlands 2
Dishonored
Mass Effect 3
Far Cry 3

This is 50% "I can't believe it's been that long" and 50% "look at what a competent development studio can do in 5-6 years" (referring, of course, to sequels to the above that have come out since. I know you're already screenshotting this, reddit.) :allears:

yes but none of those games have the scope and vision of crobblers :trustme:

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Good goons of this shithole. I need new headphones, as my current ones are leaking fidelity, and I do not know what to buy next. My energy for investigation is also lacking fidelity, so I need some assistance from the known audiophiles. Currently I am using a dated pair of Sony MDR-SA3000 and I would like something of similar quality. I'll budget something between a Phoenix and a Polaris and I like an over the ear profile, I previously enjoyed Sennheisers and Signets but I have been out of the sound and noise game for too long to know anything. I prefer the treble side of the sound range and I listen to lots of terrible poo poo but the most recent trends have Faith No More, Sublime, and Philip Glass in the highest rotation. TIA

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Pokemon Black/White
Terraria
Portal 2
Bioshock 2
Diablo 3
Borderlands 2
Dishonored
Mass Effect 3
Far Cry 3

Not video games but Game of Thrones Season 1 and the first Avengers movie were from that time. So much poo poo happens when you spend 6 years on a nowhere near complete video game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmesiS posted:

Good goons of this shithole. I need new headphones, as my current ones are leaking fidelity, and I do not know what to buy next. My energy for investigation is also lacking fidelity, so I need some assistance from the known audiophiles. Currently I am using a dated pair of Sony MDR-SA3000 and I would like something of similar quality. I'll budget something between a Phoenix and a Polaris and I like an over the ear profile, I previously enjoyed Sennheisers and Signets but I have been out of the sound and noise game for too long to know anything. I prefer the treble side of the sound range and I listen to lots of terrible poo poo but the most recent trends have Faith No More, Sublime, and Philip Glass in the highest rotation. TIA

I have an Audio Technica ATH-M50x and I can't reccomend it enough.

So wait, where did people get the "Chris is only in the office 3 days a week" thing from?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

EmesiS posted:

Forget "over the ear". Vibrate music directly into your skull.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studio-banana/batband

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

MilesK posted:

Forget "over the ear". Vibrate music directly into your skull.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studio-banana/batband

I would wear that on my junk for sure.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

EmesiS posted:

Best headphones I've encountered are the Sennheiser 595s and upwards

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a thread for Shroud of the Avatar since the MMO HMO one is dead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835737

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the CIG refund checks bouncing 4 times didn't get nearly as much love as it should have.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like the CIG refund checks bouncing 4 times didn't get nearly as much love as it should have.

Kinda surprised its not been dragged out and beaten as another fake.

Maybe they're too afraid to give it any attention because its bad news either way?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I got a little sad realizing Terraria 1.5 and 2 have been in development that long :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MarcusSA posted:

uhhh when did this happen? i read every dang post like a broken person and dont remember anyone talking about this

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ramadu posted:

uhhh when did this happen? i read every dang post like a broken person and dont remember anyone talking about this

quote:

Finally got my $1000+ USD back. Was alot of drama back and forth as i didnt have access to my original Paypal account anymore. CSA for Australian Players seeking refunds, if they offer check, dont go down this path. After 4 checks that bounced, and over $120+ AUD in bank fees, i had to go make a paypal account.

I originally closed my paypal account due to frustrations with their another company ebay and CSR robots - but thats another story.

So my message is, if your going for a refund, ensure you have paypal, CIG does not have the business knowledge or willingness to support competent processes around refunds to seekers from Australia by any other means.

The whole process confirmed my gratification of dropping any hopes tied to the Star Citizen project.

Sounds like they're poo poo at accounting. Shocking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

On the face of it the story sounds like it could be true

I have no doubts they are playing the shell game with all of their bank accounts at this point.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol

Original purchase was in USD, refund checks were issued in GBP, to a person in Australia presenting the check for Aussie $.

Good work, CIG. I thought they were financial wizards using loans to arbitrage forex.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

On the face of it the story sounds like it could be true

I have no doubts they are playing the shell game with all of their bank accounts at this point.

The specifics seem correct, like the bank CIG uses, plus the rest sounds too convoluted for anyone to make up.

quote:

I had to complete a 'Lodgement Authority - overseas Clean Bills for Collection' form as required by my Bank (Commonwealth). Part of the form i had to declare the amount of the check - which was in USD. The next section i had to complete the bank where the check was originated from, (CGI use Natwest Manchester, UK). My bank then had to supply this form back to CGI's bank for approval to release the funds, but they always declined - they don't get reason for the decline.

Be is Insufficient funds, wrong account, or the currency mis-match. When i reached out to my bank for support, they said the currency mis-match could be a possible issue, as the UK bank would often only allow checks payable in GBP and not USD.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Panasonic HJE120 for life. Get a three pack for when one gets decapitated in your spokes.

Senn 600 if you are feeling flush with cash and won't annoy people around you via the open backs.

Both of these are good and exist.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Troll posted:

Panasonic HJE120 for life. Get a three pack for when one gets decapitated in your spokes.

Senn 600 if you are feeling flush with cash and won't annoy people around you via the open backs.

Both of these are good and exist.

Good choices!

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

BloodyScab posted:

aspca. Only you can help this hungry and abused game dev.

In the aaaarms of an aaaangel...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I've been rocking Senn HD600s for over 15 years, and I need some loving hygienic replacements for the earpads and headband. That's the only thing I hate about them, they get loving gnarly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hobold posted:

Kinda surprised its not been dragged out and beaten as another fake.

Maybe they're too afraid to give it any attention because its bad news either way?

more because

XK posted:

Sounds like they're poo poo at accounting. Shocking.

The breaking point isn't going to be some dude refunding $200, this is just "some CSR rep clicking on the wrong account and not following up later" with a sprinkling of shell companies with empty bank accounts.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

XK posted:

I've been rocking Senn HD600s for over 15 years, and I need some loving hygienic replacements for the earpads and headband. That's the only thing I hate about them, they get loving gnarly.

I'm being seduced by the Oppo PM-3s right now, but I am otherwise inclined toward the HD-600/HD-650. Do you know the Oppo at all? Would you offer the 600 as a safe and satisfying impulse buy at the current price?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

EmesiS posted:

I'm being seduced by the Oppo PM-3s right now, but I am otherwise inclined toward the HD-600/HD-650. Do you know the Oppo at all? Would you offer the 600 as a safe and satisfying impulse buy at the current price?

I know nothing about the Oppos. I've never regretted my Sennheiser purchase, the company is great to deal with, they gave me very reasonable prices and great speed the 2 times I've had them refurbished, plus the two times I've replaced the cord myself it was easy to source. I've been using them 8-12 hours per day for 15 years, still going strong.

Make sure to consider that those Oppos are closed back, while Sennheiser 600s are open.

Edit: If you're talking the $286(600)/$316(650) price I see on Amazon right now, yes. I paid $450 for my 600s in 2001. They're extremely similar, 650 apparently has slightest bit better performance, biggest difference to me is the 650 has a better cord. I've replaced my 600 cord with the 650 cord, they cost ~$15, and that's half the price difference right there.

XK fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 28, 2017

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

XK posted:

Make sure to consider that those Oppos are closed back, while Sennheiser 600s are open.

This is the primary motivator right now. I have always used and preferred the open air headphone, which is why the Oppos feel so darkly seductive. The one-two whamo of the planar magnetic and the closed back has me punch drunk such that I do not know if I am really thinking or just wooed by the unfamiliar and nostalgic affection for the old magneplanars. I have loved my cheaper Sennheisers back in the 80's (lots of yellow foam rings everywhere) so I should probably jump on some 600s.

But if there's a chance...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

EmesiS posted:

This is the primary motivator right now. I have always used and preferred the open air headphone, which is why the Oppos feel so darkly seductive. The one-two whamo of the planar magnetic and the closed back has me punch drunk such that I do not know if I am really thinking or just wooed by the unfamiliar and nostalgic affection for the old magneplanars. I have loved my cheaper Sennheisers back in the 80's (lots of yellow foam rings everywhere) so I should probably jump on some 600s.

But if there's a chance...

Also, the Oppo is 26 ohm impedance, whereas the Sennheisers are 300 ohm, so take that into account, too.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Theresa a guy streaming SC right now with 1800 viewers , and he has 179 followers ....

:confused:

And he's drinking the koolaid pretty hard

But the game just crashed and refuses to reconnect lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010