Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

skyrim on vr 2 is gonna hit 60 fps so in 18 years its gonna be bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow, mgs5 as a plus game is the best they've done since the ps3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't believe MGSV dropped before Knack.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You want to release the weaker titles first, so that you build up to the good ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony still hasn't developed the server architecture needed to deliver Knack to 60 million PS4s

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sony is far more financially secure right now than Konami.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm 90% positive that MGS5 being PS+ is part of Konami's long apology tour that started with Bomberman R.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe but we also got just cause 3 recently so maybe sony's making a push for aaa games for the ps4 plus lineup

e: o and we got infamous too, didn't we? I forget

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sony is trying to prove their value heading in to the Christmas shopping season.

I just made that up, I don't really know anything about anything.

Okay but black Friday is next month.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

I'm 90% positive that MGS5 being PS+ is part of Konami's long apology tour that started with Bomberman R.

Its probably like "hmm our last few sales didnt kick start the mgo microtransactions like we wanted, lets go big" move

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think we are just hitting the point where it's probably cheaper for sony to secure old AAA games vs. brand new indie games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are still a lot of indie games that I'm surprised haven't been plus games yet

like n++ or that meotroid style game whose name I forget

Electromax
May 6, 2007
meowtroid

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mgs5 is a great get despite already owning+beating it on pc, i've been meaning to give it another run through and i never really tried out mgo but the wave of new blood should give it at least a few weeks of life

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can understand why people feel the way they do about MGSV not being a "real" Metal Gear game even if I don't agree with it. It "plays" the best of any game I've ever played and to my mind is unmatched in terms of how polished the gameplay is, Konami-mandated mobile game garbage and unfinished content aside.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Amazingly fun MGSV tip: If you toss a smoke in the back of your jeep the enemies will have no loving idea what is going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo8mhwMNZrI

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I think we are just hitting the point where it's probably cheaper for sony to secure old AAA games vs. brand new indie games.

Good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll gladly talk poo poo about MGS 5 as an MGS game, but as a game in general there are dozens of hours of good fun. The whole thing is just a mixed bag of really great stuff and really lovely stuff.

I'll take indie games. if I was interested in a AAA game when it came out I will have played it by the time it hits PS+ and we will never get one that we couldn't just buy for $15 or less elsewhere by the time it hits PS+. I guess the whiners finally get what they want. They'll still find a way to whine about it though.

MGS 5 is still a good haul though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 28, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this has been 2/3 aaa games I didn't already own and this one's really good so it's cool that they put it up

I'd like to see one aaa and one indie game per month but I doubt that'll happen forever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's been a decent line up. I had already played 2/3 of them but sold them so it was nice to get them for free. It was the first time I tried Just cause which was fun for a few hours and I lost interest.

I think some people are still holding out that it will be like the end of PS3 where we were getting games that were like 3 months old and still $50 retail. That was nuts and will probably never happen again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to pick up mgsv even though I already have it on disc, because thay way if I ever lose or break my disc, I'll still have it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snak posted:

I'm going to pick up mgsv even though I already have it on disc, because thay way if I ever lose or break my disc, I'll still have it.

you can probably get like four dollars for that disc man

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

going back to the vr talk, but i honestly thing the majority of vr naysayers are people who have never tried it. i took the jump on psvr and it led to me buying the rift for my pc. for me vr is not something that will replace normal non-vr gaming, but something else entirely. literally every friend i have (4) that tried vr bought the headset within a month. some nights after a long day at work i just want to liberate the galaxy and have fun times in heat signature, chilling out and having a good time sat in front of the tv/monitor, but other times when i feel slightly more energetic i'll slap on the psvr for some trippy polybius times or jump around to a bit or gorn or rez on the pc/rift the experence is really nothing like anything you can get on a normal flat screen sat on your fat rear end. open your minds goons

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
And your wallets

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Bad Parenting posted:

going back to the vr talk, but i honestly thing the majority of vr naysayers are people who have never tried it.

I'm a VR in games naysayer (compared to those 'it's gonna change the world man, every home will have one' types) and I run a VR company (we make marketing 'experiences', often in game engines). it's really, really not for everyone & most people enjoy it for a little but would never own one at home or spend any significant amount of time in one for entertainment.

The vast majority of people who play & buy videogames just want to kill a bit of time with something fun, they dont want to strap in and shut the whole world out. There really is no point making a VR game that is more complex than a 10-20 minute, somewhat unique experience that has some room to play around in. And those alone will never be enough to push mass adoption on the level it would need to change the future of gaming.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 28, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My PSVR probably takes up less than 10% of my game time, but I still always get excited to use it. I wasn't excited for VR and I honestly never expected to buy one (even though I ended up caving a week after it was released after trying a friends) but it's one of my favorite things that I own. There is something about it that is just so drat enjoyable. it's a really great device as long as you know what you are getting yourself into. Don't expect a lot of big budget AAA stuff right now or any time in the near future and just enjoy what is there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think vr still has a long way to go but what we have now works well as a proof of concept for the future

acksplode
May 17, 2004

VR is never going to replace all of gaming, but I think it's here to stay as a new category. It's compelling enough that it really is worth it to a lot of people to sink a few hundred into a setup that they use for max a few hours a week. VR turned RE7 from a good game to a GOTY contender. It's already surviving as a niche within the core gaming niche, and now the necessary hardware is getting cheaper, and the library of genuinely good games is growing, so the audience should only get bigger. The only way I see it going away is if the market stays too small or fragmented by platform and developers stop making VR content as a result, but there's multiple gigantic corporations fighting to make VR happen so I'm staying optimistic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are still a lot of indie games that I'm surprised haven't been plus games yet

like n++ or that meotroid style game whose name I forget

I think N++ wants to hold on to value as long as possible, especially because they're an indie game with server costs and I'm gonna assume the other one you're taking about is Axiom Verge, which is getting a Switch port soon and probably doesn't want to undercut the potential of making themselves some sales based just on how game starved the base for that system is by giving it away for another system some of those people might have.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

indie games on the switch are like $25-50 it seems like? idk, good for them i guess

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Switch version of Axiom Verge gonna be $30, with a $40 special edition

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, gently caress this Fortnite Login Queue. Is dynamic server scaling for the most streamed game ever on twitch really that hard?

I googled it, and people were bitching about this months ago. I don't understand why there's a queue countdown timer if I'm not able to get in the game when the countdown is over...

Edit: queued for 6 minutes. Login failed. Queued for 10 minutes. Login failed. Now queuing for 13 minutes.

Edit 2: I hadn't verified my email address.

Any goons playing FN BR tonight?

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 28, 2017

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Can I just use any wireless pair of headphones I want with my PS4 Pro? I just bought one but I tend to play at night and my apartment's walls are paper thin, so I don't think my neighbors like me very much right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Wow, gently caress this Fortnite Login Queue. Is dynamic server scaling for the most streamed game ever on twitch really that hard?

I googled it, and people were bitching about this months ago. I don't understand why there's a queue countdown timer if I'm not able to get in the game when the countdown is over...

Edit: queued for 6 minutes. Login failed. Queued for 10 minutes. Login failed. Now queuing for 13 minutes.

Edit 2: I hadn't verified my email address.

Any goons playing FN BR tonight?

I just played like 5 rounds and never waited more than 10 seconds.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oliveoil posted:

Can I just use any wireless pair of headphones I want with my PS4 Pro? I just bought one but I tend to play at night and my apartment's walls are paper thin, so I don't think my neighbors like me very much right now.

No they all need to be compatible via some sort of dongle or base

You can use wired in the controller. That, or get a TV with Bluetooth if yours doesn't have it already

Also if I'm going to play lovely 8-bit games it's going to be on my vita at most, not the ps4 pro. Never got this lovely indie game obsession

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Phantom Pain is definitely a "real" MGS game and to pretend otherwise is silly

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
No you see game series must not evolve and should stick to a strict formula established by games made many years ago

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sure it's a "real Metal gear game" but it's not a good metal gear game. It's a decent game in it's own right though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If mgs5 isn't a real metal gear then neither is metal gear rising and that just isn't going to fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean... My beef with V is the last act being missing, and the density of cutscenes. The cutscenes we do get are mgs as gently caress. It's just basically the only mgs game designed to have more than 10 hours of gameplay, but doesn't have the extra story to have the same feel.

Also, the code talker yapes and the burger tapes are two of the best codec conversations in the entire franchise. So.