Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

If you're going with the fantasy version of First Contact then you need to reverse Sisko and Picard too. Picard not only lost ("only") friends and crew members at and before Wolf 359, he was the one that allowed it to happen. He was assimilated. He was left with who knows how much mental trauma. He saw more destruction that the Borg wrought than anybody. And he still refused to genocide them given the opportunity.

Sisko, on the other hand, turned down any future postings on ships so he could sit around and obsess over a ship designed specifically to kill Borg. Sisko is the one that will wage (species-specific) chemical warfare to get what he wants, Sisko is the one that will aid and abet the assassination of a foreign government official to trick them into waging war. While I don't think Sisko would actually do so it's far more plausible in my head that, when confronted with the Borg threatening to wipe out humanity's entire existence, he's going to be the one that snaps and goes full Ahab and beging to sacrifice everything and everyone around him to stop it.

You even get to have Picard on the planet and Riker in orbit as originally planned, which is the only way Sisko would get to command the Enterprise.

of the two men Picard is the one I would expect to snap. Sisko is emotionally healthier and also more used to containing Fury. Sisko has friends and a son and a girlfriend and a life on bajor. Picard has a weekly poker game and a dead family to help him through the rough times. Picard is a really lonely dude doesn't have many resources to fall back on if his personal code of ethics starts to bend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Please don't say normie ever in this thread or anywhere TIA I have a job and friends and keys and maybe someday My Own Credit Card

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Please don't say normie ever in this thread or anywhere TIA I have a job and friends and keys and maybe someday My Own Credit Card

Fry: Look at Walter Koenig. After Star Trek, he became an actor.

Walter Koenig: Not just an actor, but a well-rounded person. With my own friends and credit cards and keys.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I'm not Walter Koenig okay?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops posted:

The more I think about it the more the pilot feels like some network exec demanded they "make it like those movies that made a ton of money!"

I'd wager it's more that network execs went, "Make it like those popular shows where people always get killed off!"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tighclops posted:

For what it's worth all the other normies from work accosted me yesterday demanding to know why Star Trek was so dull and all I could do was shrug because yep, and the other nerds were just as unimpressed.

You know what's kind of funny \ sad? So far, precisely zero people I know irl have told me that they liked Star Trek Discovery. In fact, a lot of people hate it way more than I do which is a surprise because usually I'm Mr. Negative who doesn't like anything. People who I really did not expect to care about Star Trek are making GBS threads on it. I'm beginning to wonder if the only people who like this show are internet shut-ins who are desperate to like it. Well, that, and critics, who also tend to be Internet shut-ins.

I was talking to a user at work today and a call runs through and starts ringing to my cell. My ringtone is the LCARS computer saying "incoming message from Starfleet, priority one". And this guy I'm talking to is like:

"Hey man, that's a really cool ringtone."
"Hey... thanks!"
"So, what did you think about Discovery?"
I hesitate for a second and probably sighed. "Well..." and he's like:
"I didn't really care for it. It just doesn't feel like Star Trek. The technology is all out of whack. Why did she jump off the ship in her spacesuit? Couldn't they just beam her close to it? And those were supposed to be Klingons?"
"Yeah... you're not wrong, man. The lead character is kind of an awful person. And then the captain attached mines to dead bodies... which is... you know... that's actually a war crime. That's banned by the Geneva Convention. So much for Starfleet being the good guys. I have not spoken to a single person who actually liked this show."
"Jeez..."
"Well, it is what it is, I guess..."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

I know this is super nitpicky too but the sound and VFX for the phasers were weak as hell, absolutely no punch

Remember when Kirk blasted that Klingon in one of the movies and he went loving flying like a meter into the air? Dude got loving launched! They need to be doing things like that instead of treating these things like generic guns.

Star Trek sound effects have been getting progressively worse and worse for thirty years now. I can't help but wonder if there's some weird push for it, like "we can't make stuff too boomy and loud or else people's neighbors will complain when the sound is cranked up" or "you have to accommodate for everyone's TV speakers being total dogshit now" or "big sound effects are too ~*distracting*~, you need to make it blend more into the background like sonic wallpaper"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tighclops posted:

I know this is super nitpicky too but the sound and VFX for the phasers were weak as hell, absolutely no punch

Remember when Kirk blasted that Klingon in one of the movies and he went loving flying like a meter into the air? Dude got loving launched! They need to be doing things like that instead of treating these things like generic guns.
How unrealistic and cartoonish. Perhaps instead we can make the scenes grayer?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

And it kind of shows because we have almost a whole generation of kids who think the ends justify the means. I vehemently disagree with that sentiment because it's what's led people to commit horrible atrocities throughout history. If you have a moral high ground, don't sacrifice it. Ever. If others have done horrible things, that doesn't give you the right to do the same. Always aim to be the better man\woman\whatever.
Sorry to go back a few pages, but this got my hackles up. Sticking with the moral high ground can lead to murder and genocide, literally. Yes, there's a difference between self-defense and preemptively attacking, but you've tarred them with the same brush.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is it about Vulcan society that they're absolute dicks to everyone and seem surprised that their behavior is seen as odd.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

What is it about Vulcan society that they're absolute dicks to everyone and seem surprised that their behavior is seen as odd.

Yeah, it seems like any "logic-based" society worth their salt would actually have a nuanced and adept observation of xeno-social behavior. It's illogical to believe aliens would think and react to information in a Vulcan manner; to be in denial of that fact leads to miscommunication, hostility, and lack of common purpose. Highly illogical.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well in this case Sarek trained the lady personally and did tell her to be careful in how she used this information

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, it seems like any "logic-based" society worth their salt would actually have a nuanced and adept observation of xeno-social behavior. It's illogical to believe aliens would think and react to information in a Vulcan manner; to be in denial of that fact leads to miscommunication, hostility, and lack of common purpose. Highly illogical.

File this under "why would a computer as powerful as Data have trouble recognizing and mimicking human facial expressions and using idioms"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Brawnfire posted:

Highly illogical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjOifRG-u8&t=110s

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

Sorry to go back a few pages, but this got my hackles up. Sticking with the moral high ground can lead to murder and genocide, literally. Yes, there's a difference between self-defense and preemptively attacking, but you've tarred them with the same brush.

Uh.... this is kind of veering off topic and I don't really have a lot of time to talk about this, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I don't see how sticking to a moral high ground leads to murder and genocide. Because you know... it's kind of about not killing people? Unless you're thinking of something entirely different than I am.

Do you mean that sticking to a moral high ground might lead to inaction which in turn does nothing to stop murder or genocide? That can and does happen. But failing to stop something isn't the same as being directly responsible for it. For instance, many mass shootings could have been prevented but happen regardless. Does that mean everyone in the shooter's life is responsible for what happened for failing to stop it? No, the guy pulling the trigger is responsible. The people in his life should have done something, yes, but in my book, ultimately you are only responsible for your own actions. If you refuse to murder a murderer, that does not in turn make you a murderer. If you didn't hand him the gun and tell him to do it, it's not your fault.

And by all means, defend yourself. I'm not saying "don't defend yourself." Just don't throw the first punch. That's an attack, not defense. They're not the same thing, and if you think that's what I meant, you must have misunderstood what I said. Maybe I'm a naive pacifist hippie, but I believe violence is the absolute last resort and you should only use it when you have no other choice available.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 28, 2017

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uh.... this is kind of veering off topic and I don't really have a lot of time to talk about this, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I don't see how sticking to a moral high ground leads to murder and genocide. Because you know... it's kind of about not killing people? Unless you're thinking of something entirely different than I am.

Do you mean that sticking to a moral high ground might lead to inaction which in turn does nothing to stop murder or genocide? That can and does happen. But failing to stop something isn't the same as being directly responsible for it. For instance, many mass shootings could have been prevented but happen regardless. Does that mean everyone in the shooter's life is responsible for what happened for failing to stop it? No, the guy pulling the trigger is responsible. The people in his life should have done something, yes, but in my book, ultimately you are only responsible for your own actions. If you refuse to murder a murderer, that does not in turn make you a murderer. If you didn't hand him the gun and tell him to do it, it's not your fault.

And by all means, defend yourself. I'm not saying "don't defend yourself." Just don't throw the first punch. That's an attack, not defense. They're not the same thing, and if you think that's what I meant, you must have misunderstood what I said. Maybe I'm a naive pacifist hippie, but I believe violence is the absolute last resort and you should only use it when you have no other choice available.
Yeah, that's how I parsed what you were saying. The discourse in the US now involves phrases like "Opposing Nazis with violence is just as bad as being a Nazi!" and "Violence is never the answer, even when they're trying to kill you," so your "never, ever give up the moral high ground" bit was a bit reminiscent of that. Glad to know I misunderstood.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd just like to state, for the record, that Sisko did nothing wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Sonequa Martin-Green, Michelle Yeoh, and Doug Jones are all charismatic and fun to watch and that goes a long with me. I've only seen the first episode that aired on CBS though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randallteal posted:

File this under "why would a computer as powerful as Data have trouble recognizing and mimicking human facial expressions and using idioms"

Data was hardwired to have extreme difficulty with those things because the colonists on Omicron Theta were creeped out by his big brother Lore.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Data was hardwired to have extreme difficulty with those things because the colonists on Omicron Theta were creeped out by his big brother Lore.

Yeah, Data's config.txt has "Can Recognize Idioms" set to 0

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Power Play. Looks like some good ol mystery about an old ship.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It just occurred to me how long-ranged Troi's empathy must be for her to sense a single person on the surface of a planet from orbit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Sonequa Martin-Green, Michelle Yeoh, and Doug Jones are all charismatic and fun to watch and that goes a long with me. I've only seen the first episode that aired on CBS though.

IMO the first episode is better than the second.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Power Play. Looks like some good ol mystery about an old ship.

Ooh, a classic.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There's so much potential for creepiness with the fact that the ship crashed there and now there's a life form. Why is O'Brien beaming down

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There's so much potential for creepiness with the fact that the ship crashed there and now there's a life form. Why is O'Brien beaming down

Oh he brought them rescue equipment, cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol Data's sudden backswing that sends Riker flying

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi did the ol' clasp hand slam to Picard, killing him instantly

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm the bewildered guy stepping out of the way as Worf and his security team run down the hall

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also people can try and use the same excuses they used for Ghostbusters '16 and just calling anyone who doesn't like it a racist, sexist homophobic gamergater.
I'm seeing a lot of this in the opinionsphere and have been for several years now, but I feel like the "I'm not allowed to not like a thing with a POC actor/gay character/female lead" is used faaaaaaar more often as a deflection of actual racism/sexism/homophobia to the point that even your probably entirely earnest arrival there gives me douche chills, through no fault of yours.

My fear isn't so much your response to the rhetoric personally so much as the poisoned well. It's like bringing up the difference between pedophilia and ephebophilia. Yeah, you're technically correct that there are people who will poo poo on your opinion and dismiss your not liking the show as unexamined biases on your part based only on reacting to other, super-biased people, but bringing out the "anybody who doesn't 100% support every piece of art the SJWs have rallied behind is called called a terrible person" puts you, sadly, in a box with people who scream that the SJWs are ruining everything. And right now, that's literal Nazis, unwittingly showing great dramatic irony by claiming their hatred as free speech while demanding everybody stop talking about social issues when discussing art because it hurts their feewings.

I don't have a point to make so much as an exasperated sigh that wanting to point out that thing in art can be, socially speaking, not the best, always, always, always, starts an argument that ends, inexorably and sometimes even far away from the original two people discussing it, with a false-equivalence between people who want the world to be more inclusive, and people who think racism/sexism/homophobia aren't real and/or everybody needs to shut up about them right now.

I'm as SJW as they come, and I don't think you hated Star Trek because it had a black female lead. I do, however, know that there are hundreds of thousands between you and I who would hate every show that did, no matter the quality, so I understand some people (usually the recently woke, as there's nobody more zealous than the recently-converted) overcompensating when trying to point out those hundreds of thousands and accidentally hitting you.

It sucks that it happens, but being told you might be racist feels a lot less awful when you recognize that the person saying it is trying to rid the world of racism (however imperfectly) and the person on the other side is trying to convince people that racism doesn't exist, or worse: that it does, but it really only targets white people.

In short, you're right. It's Star Trek, and that poo poo's probably not going to fly. But I've been surprised before. Thank you for allowing me to use your post as a jumping-off point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope the things that possessed them were actually ghosts because I love mixing my sci fi with fantasy and vice versa.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think the only person or small group that's ever been stopped effectively by the Enterprise's security was Wesley

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, god dammit. I made an effortpost in the middle of one of Jeb!'s awesome poststorms.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, that's how I parsed what you were saying. The discourse in the US now involves phrases like "Opposing Nazis with violence is just as bad as being a Nazi!" and "Violence is never the answer, even when they're trying to kill you," so your "never, ever give up the moral high ground" bit was a bit reminiscent of that. Glad to know I misunderstood.

Yeah. I'm not really interested in getting into a political debate, especially not here where it doesn't belong, and honestly, I'm not really interested in doing it anymore, period. Things have gradually escalated and have gotten more and more intense, and if you don't toe the party lines and have any criticism of anything at all, then you automatically get labeled as the enemy. So I think maybe it's in my best interest for me to just not have opinions on anything anymore.

However, needless the say, there is definitely a subtext to the things I'm saying, and its that I feel like something has gone horribly wrong and I really, really do not approve of a lot of the methods and rhetoric espoused by both camps these days. The things certain individuals are doing are not only morally wrong, they're dangerous. I'll let you interpret that however you want, I'm not elaborating on it any more.

My point is, is that I think the youth of today really need to have a role model like Jean-Luc Picard again. Maybe now more than ever. If he were a real person, I don't think he'd approve of a lot of recent goings on and would have a hell of a speech to say.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard heroically letting himself be taken hostage in exchange for the injured :america:
But is that related to the other simultaneous plan of disrupting them somehow?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It boggles my mind that there's republican trek fans and such, I don't understand how they can so miss the point and moral/ethical message of a bunch of television series. Yet there's clearly racist trek fans some how because there was so much dog whistle poo poo about Sisko back in the day and even still. I mean gently caress Rick Berman is quoted in that 50 year book as being so relieved and excited about Tom Paris because FINALLY a white man in a leading role trek again. Like what a loving thing to say, to just volunteer up for a quote in a book. I'm actually still shocked at how forthcoming Berman is in the 50 year book, the most damning anti-berman quotes all come from the man him self.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jesus they're pointing phasers at the baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

THEY ARE GHOSTS

I was suspecting it when Data hated Klingons so much and the ship was (IIRC) from the time humans were still at war with them