Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Not Operator posted:

Episode 300: RIchard Nixon (Still America's Worst President)

Yeah, or something related to Vietnam.

Or the war on drugs? But they just did the opium one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mrfart posted:

Yeah, or something related to Vietnam.

Or the war on drugs? But they just did the opium one.

The Killing of Maximum John also touched on a lot of the War on Drugs

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Alaois posted:

The Killing of Maximum John also touched on a lot of the War on Drugs

And Woody Harrelson's pop!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It can't be anything aside from Emperor Norton, right?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It can't be anything aside from Emperor Norton, right?

They have said in the past they won't ever do emperor Norton since he was just a mentally ill individual

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Episode 300: The Ballad of Dave Anthony

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

still hoping for a united fruit/chiquita ep

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Southern Historians

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Billy Gnosis posted:

They have said in the past they won't ever do emperor Norton since he was just a mentally ill individual

When the hell has that stopped them?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

When the hell has that stopped them?

other crazy people have lived interesting, colorful lives. Emperor Norton is just a guy who walks around calling himself an Emperor and everyone laughs at him

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

other crazy people have lived interesting, colorful lives. Emperor Norton is just a guy who walks around calling himself an Emperor and everyone laughs at him

And they're also less well known.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alaois posted:

Yeah, was there ever anything funny or interesting about Norton? I've never understood why anyone gives a poo poo.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

prefect posted:

Yeah, was there ever anything funny or interesting about Norton? I've never understood why anyone gives a poo poo.

The interesting bit is undoubtedly the part where everybody decides to go along with him. Any crazy person can declare themselves emperor, but not everybody accepts homemade currency from them and gets a state funeral. Also, he gets a very sympathetic portrayal in nerd favorite Sandman.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, if anything Norton is emblematic of a near-mythical time in American history when people would just humor a guy like Norton and not call the cops on him or ignore him. Its not even like there was a time period when people were nicer, it just stands out for how utterly unbelievable it all is.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's also emblematic today as a fairy tale of San Francisco. It's a city that would like very much to see itself as a place of absolute acceptance and no judgment.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just noticed the new Futility Closet is about emperor norton if anyone's looking to hear about him.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Trabandiumium posted:

still hoping for a united fruit/chiquita ep

That would be good.
I wonder if when they go to Australia they'll do a thing on hutt river province (some guy in the 1970s WA proclaiming himself a principality, even going to the effort of coins and passports), he's still around and only this year abdicated to his son. It was a big tourist attraction 20-30 years ago

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 27, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Straw Hat Riot - Amazing
Hugh Glass - Holy poo poo what a bad rear end
Worst VP Ever, Richard Johnson - Eh
Boxer Tim "Doc" Anderson - So sad
Actor Rivalry - I was almost pissing myself I was laughing so hard
The Cereal Men - I couldn't get into this one (although I laughed really hard at the Graham Cracker reveal)
Stagecoach Mary - Really interesting. For some reason I had always thought she robbed Stagecoaches
The History of Bowling in the United States - I never thought Bowling could be entertaining but Dave and Gareth know the crazy poo poo I love

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! The Dollop has replaced just about every other media I used to consume because I enjoy listening and laughing so much.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Hugh Hefner,

There must be enough material for a smollop about that guy? Or would Gareth guess it straight away?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Boxer Tim "Doc" Anderson - So sad

There's a really great book called The Years of the Locust which was the primary source for this episode. It's where all the insane details come from, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Someone recently uploaded the 2nd Anderson-Gastineau fight on youtube - so now you too can see a man destroyed in front of your eyes.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 28, 2017

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

mrfart posted:

Hugh Hefner,

There must be enough material for a smollop about that guy? Or would Gareth guess it straight away?

- April ninth, 1926! Hugh Marston Hefner was born in Chicago, Illinois.
- I wonder if this is about Hugh Hefner.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
207 - Animal Horror of Macquarie Island - so funny but HOLY poo poo. The guest is amazing!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe i wasn't paying close enough attention but I wasn't blown away by Macquarie Island

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's the continuing horror aspect.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

SalTheBard posted:

207 - Animal Horror of Macquarie Island - so funny but HOLY poo poo. The guest is amazing!

That's Wil Anderson. He's on a good 70-80% of the Australian Dollops. Dave and Gareth are regular guests on his podcast too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/914708695052836865

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

christ below

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

It's good of Dave to give us a heads up as to what the NZ show will be about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That sure looks like an English dude collecting Maori heads.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

didn't someone post in this thread that dave was working on an erik prince episode? i hope that's still happening

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Aw yeah it's great to be a kiwi.:suicide:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

skull mask mcgee posted:

didn't someone post in this thread that dave was working on an erik prince episode? i hope that's still happening

He's made offhanded comments to doing research on Prince and Blackwater on Twitter when stories about that dude comes up. I'm expecting it to be ep. 300. That or climate change.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Airship of 1896 was pretty nuts. I also really enjoyed Pendragon if nothing else for hearing about the dumbest criminal in the world.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Outside guess, episode 300 will be about noted bag of poo poo Christopher Columbus and his contribution to (the) America(s).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Bill the butcher and the welfare queen are good. Insane, but good.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Not Operator posted:

Outside guess, episode 300 will be about noted bag of poo poo Christopher Columbus and his contribution to (the) America(s).

Ok now I'm hoping for this

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mrfart posted:

Hugh Hefner,

Dave has said that he isn't interested in Hugh Hefner other than thinking he was an rear end.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Senor Tron posted:

Dave has said that he isn't interested in Hugh Hefner other than thinking he was an rear end.

Fair enough.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I will wager #300 is Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

waffles beyond waffles posted: