Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

if they want similar success with phones they just have to buy at&t and tell them to only allow microsoft phones on the network

"if they want to succeed they just have to spend billions buying an established telecom provider and then drive away 99.9% of the customers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Xbox is in no way a success. it is a huge financial failure and Microsoft spent years of creative accounting trying to hide the losses.

the entire Steve Ballmer era at Microsoft has been one gigantic rolling disaster, propped up by windows and office being endless money fountains. the new guy seems to be doing much better in at least not loving up as much as ballmer did. I bet we will never see another real Xbox.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

Xbox is in no way a success. it is a huge financial failure and Microsoft spent years of creative accounting trying to hide the losses.

the entire Steve Ballmer era at Microsoft has been one gigantic rolling disaster, propped up by windows and office being endless money fountains. the new guy seems to be doing much better in at least not loving up as much as ballmer did. I bet we will never see another real Xbox.

otoh just before they release the fourth xbox (the fourth xbox is of course called "xbox one x") would be the perfect time to announce a fifth xbox going by their record

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The_Franz posted:

"if they want to succeed they just have to spend billions buying an established telecom provider and then drive away 99.9% of the customers"

Also a provider that will refuse to work with their phones (the latest of which is from 2015) if initially set up without a sim inserted

Phone Arena reports that although the smartphone is said to support AT&T's LTE bands, some Lumia owners are sending in complaints about being unable to connect to the AT&T 4G LTE network. This is said to be due to users going through the set-up process of the phone without first inserting their AT&T SIM card, which sellers are saying should not be done

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Maximum Leader posted:

if they want similar success with phones they just have to buy at&t and tell them to only allow microsoft phones on the network

a better analogy would be they need to buy a phone manufacturer and tell them to make only windows phones

:thunk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

he literally so bitter at apple that he's spiting himself by using a terrible phone. this is a guy who forbade his kids from having an iPod and tried to stop his wife from using an iPhone but she told him to piss off.

the iPhone is actually really bad. android is pretty bad too, but in different ways and also some of the same ways.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

A Pinball Wizard posted:

a better analogy would be they need to buy a phone manufacturer and tell them to make only windows phones

:thunk:

DISAGREED

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the essential phone by andy rubin has sold approximately 5000 units since launch. very surprising that android people don't want to spend iphone money on a phone!

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/essential-has-sold-just-5-000-phones-since-launch-baystreet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol sprint exclusive

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

qirex posted:

lol sprint exclusive

worked great for palm!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
every phone is poo poo, much like every computer is poo poo

but the iphone is the least poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

android... more like... hemrroid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

android... more like... hemrroid

eh, idk. at least hemorrhoids are treatable

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Endless Mike posted:

the essential phone by andy rubin has sold approximately 5000 units since launch. very surprising that android people don't want to spend iphone money on a phone!

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/essential-has-sold-just-5-000-phones-since-launch-baystreet

it's not good, op

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

worked great for palm!

:smith:

i had a palm pixi on sprint.

ugh.

The Store
May 2, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

lol the note 8 is literally just an s8+ with a stylus no one uses for hundreds of dollars more

didn't stop me from getting one brand new for sub $100

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I miss my physical keyboard Android phone :(

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

:same:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:yeah:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

anyone who wanted one of these got it online. the sprint sales are basically random customers that were pushed by some salesman to buy it.

still very bad though. I wonder what the sell in was.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lmao!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Store posted:

didn't stop me from getting one brand new for sub $100

what should have stopped you was buying a piece of trash, at any price.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

they were the console leader during the 360 era, then they hosed all of that up by not putting the right ram in the console and also thinking that HDMI overlay paired with a cable box was a future (google did this like 7 years earlier with google tv and it failed miserably). they then put a non user replaceable hard drive while simultanously requiring that you install your 50gb games to said hard drive (after constantly ragging on sony for having done this with the ps3).

oh and then put a camera that nobody wants with the console that literally could not be unplugged* or they system would not work

*eventually removed in a software update despite saying it was impossible

ballmer era microsoft was basically defined by "never learn from your mistakes and always double down"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

what should have stopped you was buying a piece of trash, at any price.

and yet the forums keep accepting you're posts

NEED MORE MILK posted:

they were the console leader during the 360 era, then they hosed all of that up by not putting the right ram in the console and also thinking that HDMI overlay paired with a cable box was a future (google did this like 7 years earlier with google tv and it failed miserably). they then put a non user replaceable hard drive while simultanously requiring that you install your 50gb games to said hard drive (after constantly ragging on sony for having done this with the ps3).

oh and then put a camera that nobody wants with the console that literally could not be unplugged* or they system would not work

ballmer era microsoft was basically defined by "never learn from your mistakes and always double down"

ya they were seen as the leader in online console gaming throughout the 360 era, too bad they squandered all that goodwill!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao gamers are dumb as hell for thinking this is why the xbone failed

it's because there aren't any games people want to play on it, just a bunch of manshooters

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao gamers are dumb as hell for thinking this is why the xbone failed

it's because there aren't any games people want to play on it, just a bunch of manshooters

aren't even the good manshooters

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

aren't even the good manshooters

yeah the good one is actually a squidshooter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

once microsoft's blank check for buying studios and exclusives dried up all they're left with is their same basic microsofty manchild trash like halo and gears except all those manchildren are 35 now

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

once i got a free copy of halo 3 and it was really bad, i basically didn't have to aim and also it was just "setpiece! setpiece! setpiece! now spend forty hours reading supplemental copy elsewhere! yeah, we have a universe! ooh-rad!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

qirex posted:

once microsoft's blank check for buying studios and exclusives dried up all they're left with is their same basic microsofty manchild trash like halo and gears except all those manchildren are 35 now

And the Mechwarrior Series that they seriously dropped the ball on.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

actually, it's a decent time-of-flight depth camera and I want it

the rest of the console can gently caress off

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NEED MORE MILK posted:

they were the console leader during the 360 era

let us not forget this was a total accident

sony made huge and terrible bets on unproven technologies for the ps3: the cell processor, outrageously expensive ASICs, in-house graphics etc etc. the ps3 project very nearly bankrupted the sony group.

microsoft only "succeeded" because sony hosed it up completely

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

NEED MORE MILK posted:

they did sort of gently caress that advantage up out of the gate by having every 360 made before a certain date break tbf

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
arse technical reviewed the essential (lol as if) phone and 360° camera: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/essential-phone-review-impressive-for-anew-company-but-not-competitive/

quote:

Don't let the tiny size of Essential's camera fool you into thinking it's just a pair of lenses and sensors. The device has its own on-board SoC, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625, which is used as a "real-time stitching engine" connecting the two camera feeds. The SoC gets so hot that there is actually a spinning fan in the camera module. The fan emits high-pitched whirring noises that you can hear in a quiet room, and the phone and camera get pretty hot when the 360 action starts.

[…]

Right now (again, hopefully because it's in beta), the whole 360 camera system is extremely slow. Any time you have to fire up the 360 camera—even if the module is already attached and paired—you're in for an 8 to 10 second wait before you get a video feed. The camera app never stays in memory, so any time you relaunch the camera app, even after a one-second trip to the home screen, you have another eight-second wait again. It's also easy to lock up the camera app with the 360 cam attached. Any time I push the "4k" button, which is supposed to switch the camera output to 2k, the screen goes black forever, and I have to kill the app. Sometimes re-entering the camera from Recent Apps doesn't work, either; I'll get that black screen again.

Once the video feed kicks on, you'll find the usual camera interface, with a camera shutter button and "record video" button. The video feed is slow—it's about a second behind real life, which can be disorienting when framing a shot. You only get to see a slice of the video feed, but you can change your viewpoint on the video sphere by dragging on the screen. The "4k" button in the top left crashes the app, while the top right button will re-center the video.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

quote:

The Essential Phone is launching with one accessory, a 360-degree camera. There are also two accessories that Essential claims will come soon: a "dock" that's a flat pad, which connects to the pogo pins for charging, and (not a joke) a "high end audio accessory" with a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Probably some bespoke DAC addon. Very essential

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

android shutter lag is hilarious. I saw some kid taking photos non stop at a gig a few years ago and the lag on his branded phone was a good 4 seconds. every single photo looked like complete poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

android shutter lag is hilarious. I saw some kid taking photos non stop at a gig a few years ago and the lag on his branded phone was a good 4 seconds. every single photo looked like complete poo poo.

dsyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EL BROMANCE posted:

android has so many loving layers that it takes forever to get anything done. but don't worry, google is solving that by adding more layers in oreo