Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

I never really liked xenogears myself and never finished it because it became such a slog, but in this golden age of remakes, why the hell can't he remake it as he intended?

I think that, just like how xenosaga was partly an attempt to reboot and reuse some of the concepts and ideas from xenogears, xenoblade ended up doing some similar things. I don't think the first one had anything specifically to do with previous Xeno stuff since iirc it was only called Xeno because it was an rpg by the xeno devs. Xenoblade 2 definitely hits some of the xenogears plot beats though, like the whole "colony ship blown up and pieces scattered around alien planet" thing as well as the mechs you had access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xenosaga 3 ran into the same problem of budget constraints causing the scope of the project to be drastically reduced, but they learned from their mistake with Xenogears and just rapidly crammed the insanest poo poo ever into the last 10 hours. I think at one point like half the universe blows up?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fje57_DM8x0

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

al-azad posted:

Nox was rough for me to revisit but then I discovered the multiplayer totally-not-Gauntlet-nope-not-us mode and kicked myself for not playing it when it was new. That could've been a whole expansion pack but was released for free because the writing was on the wall for poor old Westwood.

I managed to play it when they came out with that feature when i was a kid, it was called Nox Quest. I will never forget it because the patch was like 30 megs, and that was basically impossible to pull off because I had a 56k. I started having fun once DSL was feasible/available.

Nox quest was super loving fun with other people, but there were real simple loopholes that people exploited real quick. You could drop several diamonds and gear to sell/use to other people, and if you typed in quit on your console as a command, it reverted your character back to the what you had. It was the easiest form of item duping.

Even if you had the best gear though it was a lot of fun murdering everything and getting to the exit as quick as you could.

I am a huge loving fan of Command & Conquer, but I picked up Nox just because it was made by Westwood, and I was very surprised on how good it was, and a shame on how it wasn't very popular.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 28, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It sounds like Capcom have really screwed the pooch when it comes to Marvel vs Capcom sales.

Hopefully Red Dead Redemption 2 looks good in the coming trailer. I‘m hoping for coop since the multiplayer will probably be a cash shop nightmare like GTAV.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

90s pointy anime is my aesthetic gently caress all this smooth, shiny moeblob modern anime

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

hell yeah Westwood was awesome!

BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (1988)
Circuit's Edge (1990)
Eye of the Beholder (1991)
Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon (1991)
Dune II (1991)
The Legend of Kyrandia (1992)
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (1993)
Command & Conquer (1995)

that's a hell of a track record, and that's only counting their "10/10" games, i don't recall them making a single straight-up dud (Mines of Titan maybe)

Did they not also make The Crescent Hawks Revenge? I never played Inception but I loving loved that game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
after playing alundra for a half hour or so i actually don't think i like it all that much. rip

it's not a bad game but it just doesn't feel very interesting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Did they not also make The Crescent Hawks Revenge? I never played Inception but I loving loved that game.

I wasn't even aware of that sequel, time to fire up the ole dosbox

One of these days I'm gonna get a cheap ancient computer to play old games on

Last time I tried to get the Kroz games running it was a nightmare

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Ruiner just launched into a 6.5 gb update. Xbox version.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Colonel posted:

after playing alundra for a half hour or so i actually don't think i like it all that much. rip

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Colonel posted:

It does get very depressing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It sounds like Capcom have really screwed the pooch when it comes to Marvel vs Capcom sales.

Hopefully Red Dead Redemption 2 looks good in the coming trailer. I‘m hoping for coop since the multiplayer will probably be a cash shop nightmare like GTAV.

Its actually fun...if you imagine its a 6 character game and ignore the other zero effort copy paste characters and take your glasses off so you cant see how ugly everything is.

Like hitting buttons feels good which is more than can be said for sfv

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

swims posted:

Ruiner just launched into a 6.5 gb update. Xbox version.

No immediate changes are jumping out at me. Button mapping was not added.

There is an xp bar at the bottom of the screen but I can't remember if that was already there. It is only there for a second when you gain karma.

Doing push ups gains health. Not sure if that was already in either. About 11 push-ups for half a health bar or around 22 for one full square health up. Might be related to the cardio skill though.

Basically this whole post is: I don't know if the update did anything or not but it was half the size of the game.

swims fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 28, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm more than halfway through Gravity Rush 2 now and I'm still not sure if I like this game or not

It sure is flawed as hell though, often in ways that feel like they were either easily avoidable or the type of things you don't even try to make a game like this unless you're sure you can sort it out. Still, it has a charm that is preventing me from throwing in the towel and moving on to my next game (which will probably be Tales of Besaria)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

raditts posted:

I remember that game being so hard that it felt impossible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that character you like? and every other character in the village? they all die

alundra is depressing as gently caress

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

I really, really liked Dead Space 1 and 2.

why do these big companies buy successful studios and then change everything about them and act shocked when their output changes for the worse. It's very confusing. Surely you'd buy them and have them acting as they were doing so but now you'll be taking in the profits whereas before you weren't. There must be way more to it than I have any idea about.

Sadly games cost millions and millions to make, so the industry is ruled by rich publishers who are very risk averse. (Since they don't know what makes a game good, they hedge their bets as much as possible on boring sequels and try to minimize cost as much as possible)

Its the same problem as the movie industry. They don't want to lose money so they do things that end up making bad art. But then half the time even the bad poo poo sells well, so they don't care.

Luckily the music industry doesn't really have that problem. (Too bad it has other problems)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i dont like fortnite battle royale at all

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mr E posted:

Total War: Warhammer 2 comes out tomorrow, I can't wait to Skaven all over some elves. I just wish they'd make a 40k Total War too :(.
How would Total War even be able to simulate space battles anyway with their format? It's why they haven't done modern warfare with planes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

I have a 128GB boot drive SSD that I should probably learn how to upgrade to a 2TB SSD. I have a 1TB data SSD, a 1TB non-SSD hard drive, a 2 TB media storage drive hooked up via USB, and an 8TB external USB 3.0 drive that I use for a great deal of my Steam library. As of right now I have 240 or so games installed on my Alienware 17 R4 laptop that I paid literally zero cents for.
How rich are you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grouchio posted:

How rich are you?

I have basically the same drive setup and it cost about as much as an xbox. You don't have to be Richie Rich to have a SSD or a 6TB platter drive these days.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm more than halfway through Gravity Rush 2 now and I'm still not sure if I like this game or not

It sure is flawed as hell though, often in ways that feel like they were either easily avoidable or the type of things you don't even try to make a game like this unless you're sure you can sort it out. Still, it has a charm that is preventing me from throwing in the towel and moving on to my next game (which will probably be Tales of Besaria)

Gr2 is a solid c+

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

that character you like? and every other character in the village? they all die

alundra is depressing as gently caress
It does get hilarious in a morbid way. Welp, the town is mostly dead and their faith is destroyed. Another successful adventure and I am leaving it as is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A good 1TB SSD is $270 - $310. You can get a 6TB mechanical drive for like $190.

The first ever 500mb hard drive was $5000.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Busted out my old PSP recently and went back through FFT: WotL.

(After modding the graphics to run faster) the game runs like a dream. I kinda dig what they did to the translation, too. Reminds me how much I loved this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I have basically the same drive setup and it cost about as much as an xbox. You don't have to be Richie Rich to have a SSD or a 6TB platter drive these days.

$65 + $300 + $60 + $120 + $200 = $745 with the intent of buying a $600 SSD sometime in the future

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shinjobi posted:

Busted out my old PSP recently and went back through FFT: WotL.

(After modding the graphics to run faster) the game runs like a dream. I kinda dig what they did to the translation, too. Reminds me how much I loved this game.

the iOS version (which is a port of the PSP one) surprisingly just got an update the other week, years after release, and it also plays really well. It’s such a natural fit on a tablet

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

i dont like fortnite battle royale at all

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

the iOS version (which is a port of the PSP one) surprisingly just got an update the other week, years after release, and it also plays really well. It’s such a natural fit on a tablet

The controls are infinitely worse. It's really clear that the game wasn't designed for touchscreens.

It's still a really good port all things considered.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

90s pointy anime is my aesthetic gently caress all this smooth, shiny moeblob modern anime

:yeah:

I just want more Camelot rpgs with the shining force anime art style

exquisite tea posted:

Xenosaga 3 ran into the same problem of budget constraints causing the scope of the project to be drastically reduced, but they learned from their mistake with Xenogears and just rapidly crammed the insanest poo poo ever into the last 10 hours. I think at one point like half the universe blows up?

Xenosaga was crazy because like a good portion of the first game was cut and they didn't really want to make cuts so they'd just keep whatever they had and put the rest to the next game. The original idea, from what I've been told, is that it was gonna be 6 games where the first 2 would be about Shion and her buddies, the second 2 would be about a different group and a different time, and the third 2 would be about a different group and a different time. Instead, Xenosaga ended up with a fair amount of its endgame cut out and so Xenosaga 2 had to make up for a lot of that. Except Xenosaga 2 bit off more than it could chew and so they had to change stuff up so they could put out Xenosaga 3 in an attempt to tie up everything in the story without ever getting past the initial "Shion for the first two games" idea of the original 6 game plan. Lots of general mismanagement issues caused them to just kinda flub their own grand plan. It's kinda sad because they were very enthusiastic but didn't really have the skill to manage a project of such scope. There was an interesting post-xenoblade interview, I think it was an Iwata Asks, with the head of Monolith Soft and he went into how, when they worked at square, the emphasis was always on "build the story first, the cutscenes, everything, then the game second" but at Nintendo they were taught to focus on making a solid game first, not even worrying about the story, to make sure that they have something that can be played and will work on its own and then applying the story after the fact.

Another reason I've heard for the xenogears disc 2 stuff is that FF8 was being developed so they lost a lot of funding to that project as well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Horizon: Alloy hides in that specific red folliage because it's the only one that camouflages her hair. That's my headcanon.

Also, I figure that might be a plot point somehow? All the tribes are very multicultural, they got white, black, asian, but Alloy is the only one with distinctively red hair; plus the fact that her birth was a mystery. Or am I just missing every single ginger NPC in the game?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You may well be on to something. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

Another reason I've heard for the xenogears disc 2 stuff is that FF8 was being developed so they lost a lot of funding to that project as well.

that's not what happened at all. like the guy confirmed it himself, none of those dev conspiracies are why disc 2 was like that it's literally just square put a hard limit on how long a game could be worked on and xenogears was staffed by lots of new people so it was taking too long to finish

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

that's not what happened at all. like the guy confirmed it himself, none of those dev conspiracies are why disc 2 was like that it's literally just square put a hard limit on how long a game could be worked on and xenogears was staffed by lots of new people so it was taking too long to finish

Ah, I thought it was a combination of the two, budgeting constraints and hard time limit. I didn't know he debunked the ff8 thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watching someone play Danganronpa 3 and I'm not sure if the people mad at DR2 would hate or love this first case.

Its pretty absurd.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

al-azad posted:

yeah pointy anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
touga is very sharp

revolutionary girl utena is officially relevant to games, because there is a revolutionary girl utena video game

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah but this is the good stuff, not that poo poo in the alundra op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a fan translation out there for it, I forgot to check that out once I got a working pseudo Saturn set up

• Locked thread