Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

All I know is that when a new mega-release lands, there's no shortage of instant 9/10 reviews from publications like realultimategaming.ru or someplace I've never heard of in my life that immediately inflate its metacritic score.

hmmm yes the instant 9/10 reviews of noted hit game Mass Effect Andromeda for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If it doesn't have the God is a Geek seal of approval...you've lost me

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

precision posted:

hmmm yes the instant 9/10 reviews of noted hit game Mass Effect Andromeda for example

I mean yeah those exist

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DLC Inc posted:

losing the Platinum guys (Mikami, Kamiya) definitely was a factor

inti creates is also made up of ex-mega man game devs and they've done more interesting stuff to evolve on the games in the last fourteen years than capcom has for its entire existence

the only talent remaining at capcom that immediately comes to mind is hideaki itsuno and the monster hunter teams

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 26, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The number scores never bothered me because I care more about concrete things people write or say about games, and ever since publishers started tying developers' pay to metacritic scores, I say gently caress it, jack the system, 100s for everyone.

The scores skewing higher than some imaginary bell curve makes sense to me because the hypothetical games that would end up on the lower ends of the scale are the ones that get canned before even entering pre-production or that end up on phones, the fact that tons of time and resources don't get wasted making garbage things to fill out a curve doesn't bother me

precision posted:

Knack 2: 69

Nice!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

exquisite tea posted:

It's almost as if reviewers feel emboldened to be appropriately critical of smaller budget games, yet for some reason treat massively marketed tentpole AAA franchises with kid gloves.. :thunk:

A number of AAA games this year have reviewed poorly while still achieving massive commercial success. The best selling game of the year, Ghost Recon Wildlands, has a metacritic in the mid 70s. The best selling fighting game in a packed year is For Honor with a similar metascore. Mass Effect Andromeda was ravaged by many review outlets.

If anything, mid-budget games (with at least 20 reviews), such as Persona 5, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Nier Automata, have greatly outperformed their AAA counterparts when it came to critical reviews. There actually seems to be a schism between consumers and critics where consumers will buy unpolished co-op multiplayer games and critics who prefer polished single-player, story-driven games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just found out the hard way that Ys Origins doesn't have checkpoints except at bosses

only lost about 30 minutes of progress though but for a dungeon crawler that's deffo annoying :mad:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ys vii games are weird like that. oath in felghana has checkpoints on the psp version because it was an updated rerelease but the steam release of that is so ancient that xseed didn't have the resources to backport that stuff, and the psp version only runs at 30fps. at least the newer games let you save anywhere so it's easy to avoid that kind of frustration

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Serf posted:

Xenogears is one of my all-time favorites. I wish they had been able to finish it the way they meant to.

I never really liked xenogears myself and never finished it because it became such a slog, but in this golden age of remakes, why the hell can't he remake it as he intended?

Serf
May 5, 2011

raditts posted:

I never really liked xenogears myself and never finished it because it became such a slog, but in this golden age of remakes, why the hell can't he remake it as he intended?

There's probably no money in it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

He works for Nintendo, now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ys 8 autosaves all the time too. It's really stellar, maybe the best game in the series, so if you're liking Origin you should pick it up sometime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

A full Xenogears remake would be insanely expensive. It is an incredibly long game with a ton of diverse environments even before you consider things like "actually finishing the second disc". Even if you tried to trim out the 'bloat' (and boy would that tick people off) it would still be an insanely long game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also lol at Square actually making people satisfied with a remake.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

raditts posted:

There are three Xenoblades out there, does he really need more

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

Also lol at Square actually making people satisfied with a remake.

Zodiac Age fuckin owns dogg

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

raditts posted:

Well this

Serf posted:

There's probably no money in it.

combined with this

Phantasium posted:

He works for Nintendo, now.

and the Xenogears name being owned by SquareEnix makes a remake drat near impossible but who knows. We're living in interesting times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

holy poo poo Ys Origin is so good and fun and cool! i'm so glad to hop on board a new series (yes i know this isn't actually the first game in the series)

is Hugo a lot less fun to play as for some reason? i picked Axe Girl because, uh, do i need to even explain that choice? but magic dude looked cool too

It's actually the first chronologically, so it's as good a starting point as any!

Hugo's play style is more of a ranged shooter type thing. I didn't like playing as him personally.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

precision posted:

That's an enhanced port, not a remake.

It's the best version of FF12, but like that's not a hard race to win.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I was missing something from my Gamefly queue

Serf
May 5, 2011

If they were to actually do it, I'd just want them to do two things: touch up the graphics a bit and let them fill out the back half of the game. Maybe some quality of life fixes like the FF remasters got. Anything else would be crazy.

Thinking back on old weird JRPGs, whatever happened to the Breath of Fire series? I remember playing one of those and really enjoying it way back in the day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

If they were to actually do it, I'd just want them to do two things: touch up the graphics a bit and let them fill out the back half of the game. Maybe some quality of life fixes like the FF remasters got. Anything else would be crazy.

Thinking back on old weird JRPGs, whatever happened to the Breath of Fire series? I remember playing one of those and really enjoying it way back in the day.

It sold increasingly poorly, had a divisive 5th game, and then died with the rest of the mid-tier JRPGs once the PS2 era was over. They did a mobile game of it recently but nobody cared.

Basically every mid-tier JRPG that thrived on the PS2 ran smack-dab into the combination wall of higher production budgets making them untenable along with increasingly smaller fanbases due to changing tastes. The ones that survived moved to handheld and even most of those died. It's only the extremely niche low-budget ones catering to a specific demographic (your Ateliers or Neptunias) that survive these days. Tales of (x) was basically saved by an increasing US fanbase and Namco-Bandai backing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 26, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Serf posted:

The Dragon Quarter team went on to make Dead Rising and you know what happened to the Dead Rising series.

And then some of the older team members did the Megaman X RPG which I assume tanked.

There's a bad mobile game that's going offline in a couple days or something like that, tho!

Edit: I think one of the writers worked on Dragon's Dogma? Can't remember where I heard that, that's probably wrong.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Serf posted:

Dragon Quarter came out and kinda killed the series with it's unique take on telling a story. More of the story was revealed each time you started over. And the story was much darker than the earlier entries, at least the first 3. 4 was pretty bleak too.

Also, they made it so that the hero couldn't spam his dragon transformation. If you used it too much, the dragon would burst forth from his body, killing him and you'd get an instant game over. Also I believe there was no way to reset or recover your dragon level.

It was kinda cool though because games hadn't really done stuff like that before.

^^^^drat, that explains why the story is the way it is in Dead Rising. poo poo, and the time limit^^^^

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Dragon Quarter came out and kinda killed the series with it's unique take on telling a story. More of the story was revealed each time you started over. And the story was much darker than the earlier entries, at least the first 3. 4 was pretty bleak too.

Also, they made it so that the hero couldn't spam his dragon transformation. If you used it too much, the dragon would burst forth from his body, killing him and you'd get an instant game over. Also I believe there was no way to reset or recover your dragon level.

It was kinda cool though because games hadn't really done stuff like that before.

Dragon Quarter was genuine a well-made game with a lot of interesting and unique ideas and a very solid combat system. It just was a bad idea to market it as BoF 5 (which it was in Japan) because it represented a massive diversion from what up until that point had been an incredibly reliable and traditional series. Part of it was an attempt to refresh the series after increasingly poor sales though so it's a hard situation to be in.

It also actually wasn't much darker than the other BoF games. Pretty much all of them stressed the idea of dragons being a Really loving Bad Thing and had some incredibly awful moments (BoF4 had a cannon literally powered by human sacrifice that was more effective if the person sacrificed cared about the target, for example.) It's just that because transforming into a dragon is cool they tended to make dragon transformations spammable as gently caress which sort of devalued the "this is a really bad thing" things the story focused on.

BoF5 is actually my favorite in the franchise but it's very easy to understand why it bounced off fans so hard. It'd be like if Torneko's Mysterious Dungeon had been the next Dragon Quest. Even if it's a super good game it's a completely different game. Final Fantasy (barely) gets away with that because it's so expected.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sunning posted:

A number of AAA games this year have reviewed poorly while still achieving massive commercial success. The best selling game of the year, Ghost Recon Wildlands, has a metacritic in the mid 70s. The best selling fighting game in a packed year is For Honor with a similar metascore. Mass Effect Andromeda was ravaged by many review outlets.

If anything, mid-budget games (with at least 20 reviews), such as Persona 5, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Nier Automata, have greatly outperformed their AAA counterparts when it came to critical reviews. There actually seems to be a schism between consumers and critics where consumers will buy unpolished co-op multiplayer games and critics who prefer polished single-player, story-driven games.

The big difference here is that AAA games devote double their development costs to marketing, which almost always trumps quality. People have been conditioned to buying the stuff Ubisoft shits out on a yearly basis, and since there's no Assassin's Creed around right now it was Wildlands.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Dragon Quarter came out and kinda killed the series with it's unique take on telling a story. More of the story was revealed each time you started over. And the story was much darker than the earlier entries, at least the first 3.
breath of fire 2 has your dad being tortured eternally in the engine of a big magic machine and the mom of one of your party members getting crushed by a boulder onscreen
breath of fire 4 had multiple characters get turned into barely alive meatsacks begging for death like the ending of i have no mouth and i must scream and the guy who did it getting away scotfree

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

It's actually the first chronologically, so it's as good a starting point as any!

Hugo's play style is more of a ranged shooter type thing. I didn't like playing as him personally.

Assuming I don't want to jump straight to Ys 8 (which i'm tempted to do) which is the best Ys game to play next? assuming also i really only want to play them on PS3, PS4, or steam

e: it looks like maybe i should skip to Ys 6 on steam?

precision fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 26, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

Assuming I don't want to jump straight to Ys 8 (which i'm tempted to do) which is the best Ys game to play next? assuming also i really only want to play them on PS3, PS4, or steam

oath in felghana, it's the most similar to origin. you could also play ys vi, but as the game oath and origin build their gameplay off of, it's, well, kind of poo poo.

you should probably just jump to ys 8 from there, the pc port of ys seven is really good but the game itself is kind of mediocre, and ys 1&2 are games from 1987 so, uh, they don't age beautifully

quote:

e: it looks like maybe i should skip to Ys 6 on steam?

seriously don't do this, ys vi is really bad. the lack of polish hurts it a lot and it doesn't have much to make up for it.

it's a shame because it has my favorite soundtrack in the series but it just feels like crap to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_nFcAjDk

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 26, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh sweet my Day One edition of Danganronpa V3 came with a soundtrack and student handbook.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

oath in felghana, it's the most similar to origin.

oh i thought that one was the lovely side scroller one. okay i'll probably do that one then 8, i don't really want to play something that's less good than Origins.

goddamn though, it's so fun. surprisingly deep and just a blast. i really needed a chillgood game like this!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

oh i thought that one was the lovely side scroller one.

It's a remake of the lovely side scroller one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quarter was genuine a well-made game with a lot of interesting and unique ideas and a very solid combat system. It just was a bad idea to market it as BoF 5 (which it was in Japan) because it represented a massive diversion from what up until that point had been an incredibly reliable and traditional series. Part of it was an attempt to refresh the series after increasingly poor sales though so it's a hard situation to be in.

It also actually wasn't much darker than the other BoF games. Pretty much all of them stressed the idea of dragons being a Really loving Bad Thing and had some incredibly awful moments (BoF4 had a cannon literally powered by human sacrifice that was more effective if the person sacrificed cared about the target, for example.) It's just that because transforming into a dragon is cool they tended to make dragon transformations spammable as gently caress which sort of devalued the "this is a really bad thing" things the story focused on.

BoF5 is actually my favorite in the franchise but it's very easy to understand why it bounced off fans so hard. It'd be like if Torneko's Mysterious Dungeon had been the next Dragon Quest. Even if it's a super good game it's a completely different game. Final Fantasy (barely) gets away with that because it's so expected.

Endorph posted:

breath of fire 2 has your dad being tortured eternally in the engine of a big magic machine and the mom of one of your party members getting crushed by a boulder onscreen
breath of fire 4 had multiple characters get turned into barely alive meatsacks begging for death like the ending of i have no mouth and i must scream and the guy who did it getting away scotfree

Well, gently caress looks like I've forgotten the plot beats of the earlier games! drat, was there anything like that in the first BoF?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Well, gently caress looks like I've forgotten the plot beats of the earlier games! drat, was there anything like that in the first BoF?

BoF1 has more standard fantasy stuff going on but also has you stopping earthquake machines and activating ancient giant robots so you can drop it in a volcano so it's runoff can fill a river for you to cross.

Also fighting a guy in the dream world that starts as a blob of pixels but as you attack them more becomes visible as a penis head monster with a mouth on the shaft.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/912778508476104704

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao its just like the persona 5 livestreaming thing, atlus USA apologizing for something dumb the japanese office made them do. "yeah its true atlus japan made us do a takedown on THIS SICKASS EMULATOR THAT LETS YOU PLAY PERSONA 5 ON PC, it'd be a shame if you went and downloaded it"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There are PS4 emulators now? that's insane

e: oh I guess it must be the PS3 version

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"Competitive 'Pac-Man' is heading to casinos next year"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

lmao its just like the persona 5 livestreaming thing, atlus USA apologizing for something dumb the japanese office made them do. "yeah its true atlus japan made us do a takedown on THIS SICKASS EMULATOR THAT LETS YOU PLAY PERSONA 5 ON PC, it'd be a shame if you went and downloaded it"

atlus, seeing rpcs3 running demon's souls: do we finally get to shut the servers down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wait they shut down a whole emulator because of Persona 5? lmao

• Locked thread