Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Taking offence to someone putting condiments on food you made for them is really dumb. You know that different people have different tastes and if someone knows that they prefer things with more salt or whatever then they should feel free to make such modifications. It's not an insult to you to say "I have different food preferences than you". If I buy you an ice-cream I won't be offended if you choose a flavour I don't like, so why should I be offended if I made you lasagne and you put tomato sauce on it?

What's important here is: YOU MADE ME A LASAGNA?!? :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's important here is: YOU MADE ME A LASAGNA?!? :yum:

Nobody tell him.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I used to put salt on my food before eating without even thinking but after I met my partner I stopped since she doesnt salt food at all and I don't miss it.

Then again she moved me from margarine onto butter, oven chips to fried chips and semi skimmed to full fat milk so it's a net loss.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Nobody tell him.

No tell me all about this lasagna.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

I mean it really just depends on what you like. A light roast is going to give you more of the tasting notes based on the region of the bean and all that. A dark roast can take a lot of the natural flavors out of the bean. But depending on your brew method you might get a better cup out of a darker roast.

You can argue that light roasts have a more interesting flavor and if you want to get really into it go ahead and knock yourself out but dark roasts definitely taste better, at least in the sense of being more pleasant. The natural flavors of the bean aren't inherently better, give me those delicious Maillard compounds.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macarius Wrench posted:

I used to put salt on my food before eating without even thinking but after I met my partner I stopped since she doesnt salt food at all and I don't miss it.

Like she doesn't use salt in any part of the cooking process? That sounds like a hellish existence

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Straight White Shark posted:

You can argue that light roasts have a more interesting flavor and if you want to get really into it go ahead and knock yourself out but dark roasts definitely taste better, at least in the sense of being more pleasant. The natural flavors of the bean aren't inherently better, give me those delicious Maillard compounds.

If it's crappy beans from like Vietnam I agree that dark roasts are better at masking its bad flavor

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

If it's crappy beans from like Vietnam I agree that dark roasts are better at masking its bad flavor

The main "bad flavor" is the acid, which you're going to need a moderately dark roast to get rid of regardless of origin.

Like I said, if you like tackling those more challenging flavors, I'm not going to stop you. But there's a reason dark roast got mass appeal in the first place, most people just want easily drinkable coffee.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My Nescafé is pretty dark, does it mean it's good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The main "bad flavor" is the acid, which you're going to need a moderately dark roast to get rid of regardless of origin.

Like I said, if you like tackling those more challenging flavors, I'm not going to stop you. But there's a reason dark roast got mass appeal in the first place, most people just want easily drinkable coffee.

People didn't drink dark roasts because they preferred it. Dark roast was the only choice. Companies can mix all kinds of beans including the lovely ones and roast it until dark to make them taste the same and sell it to the consumer pretending that it's gourmet. It's like selling cocaine mixed with tylenol.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

But that can also depend on region where as a Ethiopia or a Kenya you're going to get a more fruity taste where as a Colombian is going to have a less complex and more chocolate and nutty taste. The real problem is when places say dark roast they mean they burnt their beans to the point of it tasting burnt. When I roast coffee at home I'm really only comfortable with going as dark as a medium roast.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Grandmother of Five posted:

Using terms like "daddy" and "baby" in a romantic or sexual context is weird, too. I get that you can't translate everything directly, but at least as a non-native English speaker, the primary concoction to family-relations is too strong for it to not sound creepy and off-putting.

to me it's illustrating that you included 'baby,' i absolutely feel the same way about daddy but i've been hearing baby used in sexual contexts for so long as a (technically) native english speaker that it just seems like a separate word entirely when used in those cases and it feels like it has no connection to an actual baby anymore - it's been in use so long tbh that calling a partner baby feels kinda outdated now, like you're channeling 90s Duke Nukem - and now i'm hoping that younger people internally separate the word daddy the same way even tho i can't

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Thats a real interesting point because I call my SO "babe" without even thinking about it but using the word "daddy" in a sexual context sounds incredibly hosed up to me, I dunno if its because its gender specific but yeah it just sounds weird.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
My apparently unpopular opinion is that there is an actual reason for the steak/ketchup and whisky/coke thing, and a bunch of goons are really obtuse about it. I swear you once heard that "taste is subjective" and decided that means no discussion about art, music, food, anything, is possible.

If you like whisky and coke that's great. No one gives a poo poo. However, if you mix 3:1 coke with whisky, fill it with ice and maybe a slice of lemon, you almost certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a £20 and a £100 whisky. Drink a cheap whisky coke because you prefer it to sipping an expensive one, fine, that's subjective taste. Buy an expensive one to mix and you're objectively(!!!!) a pretentious idiot who's just bought it because it's more expensive. If someone offers you their nice whisky and you pour coke in it you're kind of being a dick because it's wasteful. Just use a cheap one.

That's why people take the piss out of Trump for eating cooked through ketchup-soaked steak. If he just admitted he doesn't care and likes simple food, that would be completely cool and fine. But he doesn't, he buys some crazy expensive steak from a Japanese massaged cow or whatever, brags that his brand of steaks are the finest in the world, then eats it in a way that makes it indistinguishable from a mid-range one. Like they could just serve a normal decent steak instead and he would not notice.

It's not about subjective tastes or "enjoying things wrong", it's about the pretension and waste of buying expensive stuff when you're gonna eat in a way that makes it indistinguishable from something a quarter of the price.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

light roast coffee just tastes like hot water

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

bradzilla posted:

Acidic hot water that maybe coffee once touched.

"Oh, is this it?" - me, every time trying to enjoy light roasts. Incredibly disappointing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bradzilla posted:

Not if you use correct ratios of water and coffee. Also it depends on your brew method. Pour over you're probably going to get a more tea like taste where as a French press it's going to be a bit stronger. Heat of the water can also effect the flavor.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Individual tastes is the reason we even have unpopular opinions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If i spent 30 minutes making a meal witg special spices and process, then you dumped ketchup all over it without tasting, id be hella pissed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Macarius Wrench posted:

Thats a real interesting point because I call my SO "babe" without even thinking about it but using the word "daddy" in a sexual context sounds incredibly hosed up to me, I dunno if its because its gender specific but yeah it just sounds weird.

It's because you're using a childish form of the word.

Try saying "Dad" or "Father" during your lovemaking instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"Babe", "baby" and "daddy" are all weird things for one adult to call another in any context. I've always thought so and I'm a native English speaker who's heard the first two used that way my whole life.

Magnus Manfist posted:

If you like whisky and coke that's great. No one gives a poo poo. However, if you mix 3:1 coke with whisky, fill it with ice and maybe a slice of lemon, you almost certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a £20 and a £100 whisky. Drink a cheap whisky coke because you prefer it to sipping an expensive one, fine, that's subjective taste. Buy an expensive one to mix and you're objectively(!!!!) a pretentious idiot who's just bought it because it's more expensive. If someone offers you their nice whisky and you pour coke in it you're kind of being a dick because it's wasteful. Just use a cheap one.

That's why people take the piss out of Trump for eating cooked through ketchup-soaked steak. If he just admitted he doesn't care and likes simple food, that would be completely cool and fine. But he doesn't, he buys some crazy expensive steak from a Japanese massaged cow or whatever, brags that his brand of steaks are the finest in the world, then eats it in a way that makes it indistinguishable from a mid-range one. Like they could just serve a normal decent steak instead and he would not notice.
With the whiskey you're probably mostly correct, but with steak there is the issue of texture. Even covered in so much (of whatever condiment) that you can't taste the original flavour a good steak cooked properly (whether that's rare or well done) will still have a much nicer texture than a crap one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Psychedelic drugs should be legal and regulated.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Psychedelic drugs should be legal and regulated.

Nothing unpopular here in my opinion. Agreed 100 percent.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

How would one regulate appropriate use of psychedelics?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
With a shaman. That's not quite regulation, but it's the best way to go psychactive.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Legalize psychedelic drugs to please the left, leave the drug ecomony completely unregulated to please the right. Boom, 100% approval, elect me for your next President.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Caufman posted:

With a shaman. That's not quite regulation, but it's the best way to go psychactive.

A government licenced shaman?

Magic and the gods are real, in that they exist within our minds, and affect us. Superheroes like Iron Man and Wonder Woman are the new gods of this age, and this is for the good.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

doverhog posted:

Magic and the gods are real, in that they exist within our minds, and affect us. Superheroes like Iron Man and Wonder Woman are the new gods of this age, and this is for the good.

Post-government-licensed shaman.

You are absolutely right to identify the gods of our psyche as beings that are quite real in the sense that they influence what we do. There is also the recurring search for what was called in previous age the true God, the ultimate and truest reality which exists from the beginning of everything to the end of everything. It captures the reality of all of our psyches and the reality of everything else. It's the complete and unified truth that we as everyday natural philosophers have always tried to pursue, whether it's in the study of plants or in the study of moral consequences.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I rejected religion when it was presented as a dogmatic state church that tells you what not to do, and rediscovered it when I realized doing drugs and staring at a picture of Jean Grey was a religious sacrament. Praise be. :11tea:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

U-DO Burger posted:

Legalize psychedelic drugs to please the left, leave the drug ecomony completely unregulated to please th e right. Boom, 100% approval, elect me for your next President.

Fellow americans, I stand for one thing: throwing wide the doors of the universe, and letting all the terrible lights flood through us. I stand for an america where every housewife opens their cupboard to find themselves, slaughtered and packaged, ready to serve to their families. I stand for an america where every working man can apply himself to a hard day's work at a factory with no name, filled with choking black smoke.

vote for irreversible change. vote for me.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking as someone who was raised this way, I think that is more a result of their parents never seasoning food before serving it, expecting you to do it yourself. My parents still don't understand the point in adding seasoning until after it's done cooking. So when you think that's just the way people cook, of course you're going to salt/pepper it before trying it. I don't think it's usually meant to be offensive in any way.

I for sure agree that it is not deliberately meant to be offensive :) "Offensive" might be too strong a word, really, it is more like, mildly badly mannered, and I am Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket irl.

More generally on intent and offensiveness; for a large part, really, I think that when it comes to whether something is offensive, it doesn't really matter that much what intent someone had. I think that holds especially true for stuff like using offensive terminology - you just can't expect people to know your perspective or intent, and it is largely the responsibility of the speaker to make sure that their message is received as they intend.

Communicating well is a shared effort, of course, and just taking offense at everything is dumb, but it is largely the responsibility of a speaker to not cause offense, and something being offensive just doesn't hinge on intent, especially when the intent is hidden or poorly conveyed. Carelessness just isn't really an excuse for causing offense, basically.

Tiggum posted:

Taking offence to someone putting condiments on food you made for them is really dumb. You know that different people have different tastes and if someone knows that they prefer things with more salt or whatever then they should feel free to make such modifications. It's not an insult to you to say "I have different food preferences than you". If I buy you an ice-cream I won't be offended if you choose a flavour I don't like, so why should I be offended if I made you lasagne and you put tomato sauce on it?

I don't think we disagree all that much. Like, I don't want you to suffer through a whole meal that you don't enjoy, but just that you try out stuff as it is presented first. I wouldn't expect you to go through that routine every time I make a similar dish either, especially not when it is obvious how much you hate my lasagna...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

Oh jesus please the last thing American Gods needs is to be brought into the Marvel or DC universe

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've never eaten lasagne or coleslaw and never will. Or a casserole

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

Why not?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

are you one of those people who make sure all the food on their plate isn't touching or what is this about. Lasagne and casseroles are generally delicious. Coleslaw is fine for what it is I don't really care about it either way

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So lasagna would fall into the "sandwich" category of sandwich or soup categorization method correct?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't like sandwiches and only have had one type and haven't had even that one in 15 years

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Videogames are great but playing them on anything other than the easiest difficulty is just wasting time. Unless you are unemployed or are otherwise so poor that you need to stretch a game out for as long as possible shunt that difficulty down and run through it as swiftly as possible.

I've completed Yakuza 0, Nier: Automata and Horizon: Zero Dawn this year and I can't fathom why anyone would play them on anything but the easiest difficulty unless they are trying to pad out the playtime.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Soup, unlike a sandwich, is cooked in a container, which it fills completely up to a level.
So it's soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Macarius Wrench posted:

Videogames are great but playing them on anything other than the easiest difficulty is just wasting time. Unless you are unemployed or are otherwise so poor that you need to stretch a game out for as long as possible shunt that difficulty down and run through it as swiftly as possible.

I've completed Yakuza 0, Nier: Automata and Horizon: Zero Dawn this year and I can't fathom why anyone would play them on anything but the easiest difficulty unless they are trying to pad out the playtime.

Well, I'd say not necessarily the easiest difficulty - rather the highest difficulty that lets you get through the game comfortably fast. People who can get through a game on hard without dying wouldn't have much fun on easy, and would save no time.