Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wandle Cax posted:

No you see game series must not evolve and should stick to a strict formula established by games made many years ago

Ah, the Fire Emblem creed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's more pokemon than fire emblem

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Story aside (don't even get me started) my main problem with it was that it felt more like a much cooler Far Cry than an evolution of metal gear. So, that on its own isn't bad. It's fun. It's impressive. But it doesn't play to what makes MGS fun. It didn't feel like a tactical stealth game it felt like a big sandbox with almost no challenge. The game gives you an arsenal that could blow the world up and all of that sneaking around starts to feel pointless after a few hours, and it stops feeling like metal gear at that point.

I think alternate modes and stuff I would have wanted to see would have made it into the final game if it wasn't rushed towards the end. It's a shame but it is what it is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I feel the need to reiterate, that its the letter V, and not the roman numeral

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

I feel the need to reiterate, that its the letter V, and not the roman numeral

Suffer like V did.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

oliveoil posted:

Can I just use any wireless pair of headphones I want with my PS4 Pro? I just bought one but I tend to play at night and my apartment's walls are paper thin, so I don't think my neighbors like me very much right now.

Are you sure that's the reason? :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
MGSV owns.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Phantom Pain is definitely a "real" MGS game and to pretend otherwise is silly

Well if Pablo Gigante says it's so, then the matter is closed! No need for discussion!

What exactly makes you feel like it's a real Metal Gear game? Be specific.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it has metal gear solid on the box and was made by hideo kojima, who says it's a metal gear game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No True Metal Gear

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can hide in a cardboard box, there's a titty-sniper, there's metal gear, there's otacon* there a bunch of weird torture and sex poo poo, and also OH YEAH, It's a loving mgs game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you can be disappointed in a game without making poo poo up and pretending it's not actually what it is. call it a bad game or say the story sucks but neither of those things change the words on the front of the box or who made it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It isn't a true metal gear game because the controls haven't aged terribly and aren't designed to prevent you from effectively using the killing weapons in the game despite characters constantly alleging that you are a competent soldier.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No True Metal...Gear?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The best part of MGSV is that it caused David Hayter to have a poo poo fit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No it didn't?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, it's kind of bullshit that he wasn't even asked. Like, whatever, maybe he was unprofessional about the role in general, but he was the voice of Snake. Also, they probably could have got 3x the voice lines they got out of Keifer for the same price.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Also, it's kind of bullshit that he wasn't even asked. Like, whatever, maybe he was unprofessional about the role in general, but he was the voice of Snake. Also, they probably could have got 3x the voice lines they got out of Keifer for the same price.

spoilers for the final epilogue mission: it would have been nice to have actual snake be voiced by hayter and venom played by keifer. the intro wouldn't work that way tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kojima never wanted Hayter and would have replaced him many times if he had the budget.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"I never felt like he was a particularly big fan of mine," Hayter lamented. "I was kinda hoping that Konami would bring me back now that he was gone."

:lol:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Me to David, me too.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It is remarkable how bad I am at fortnite battle royale

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Kojima never wanted Hayter and would have replaced him many times if he had the budget.

yeah but like, gently caress him.

Like, Kojima's great, and a lot of his ideas are great. But it's a collaborative business, and Hayter has been Snake since MGS.

edit: ^ dude, me too. We need to make a Goon FN BR thread, since the FN thread is like, pretty split on whether they care at all about BR, which is the only thing I care about right now.

I like the concept, but basically I'm only playing it because PubG isn't on PS4 yet. I hate the 3rd person, I hate the general feel of combat, but I really dig the overall feel and gametype.

It would be cool to play some squads to get the hang of things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JBP posted:

"I never felt like he was a particularly big fan of mine," Hayter lamented. "I was kinda hoping that Konami would bring me back now that he was gone."

:lol:

wow yeah this sure qualifies as a poo poo fit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

wow yeah this sure qualifies as a poo poo fit

Pretty sure I posted that in reference to Kojima not liking him. Which was my post above.

You can read his twitter feed to watch him try to disguise a baby poo poo fit with humorous posts about new coke and whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am David Hayter the great and respected voice actor. People really like old Coke (me) and Kiefer Sutherland is inferior to me as a voice actor. Thanks for reading my twitter. Please stay tuned for more snipes about the time I lost my job.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure you are like seeing a whole lot of things that aren't there.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I need Scissors! MGSV is not a real Metal Gear game! 61!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mycot posted:

I'm pretty sure you are like seeing a whole lot of things that aren't there.

Taking pot shots at your old employer on twitter sure is subtle and difficult to parse for the reader when you add emoticons!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Montalvo posted:

It is remarkable how bad I am at fortnite battle royale

Seems like it's mostly luck, self restraint and playing like as big of a poo poo heel as possible. I played 3 rounds and was literally unable to find a gun. Found a gun right off the bat on my fourth round and just played cautiously from there on out and made it to the top 5 with 9 kills. The guys that killed me were teamed up which kind of pissed me off but some guy ran in and murdered both of them on his own and won so I felt redeemed.

It's actually pretty fun. I really can't get over the art style though. I hate it so much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also David Hayter was way better than Keifer who just made me want to doze off. Hayter isn't even a great VA he's just fun to listen to unlike KS's boring rear end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JBP posted:

I am David Hayter the great and respected voice actor. People really like old Coke (me) and Kiefer Sutherland is inferior to me as a voice actor. Thanks for reading my twitter. Please stay tuned for more snipes about the time I lost my job.

Go play life is strange

or rather, the first 30 seconds of it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

Go play life is strange

or rather, the first 30 seconds of it

I already did and it was a very boring game indeed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

now go play the rest of it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Seems like it's mostly luck, self restraint and playing like as big of a poo poo heel as possible. I played 3 rounds and was literally unable to find a gun. Found a gun right off the bat on my fourth round and just played cautiously from there on out and made it to the top 5 with 9 kills. The guys that killed me were teamed up which kind of pissed me off but some guy ran in and murdered both of them on his own and won so I felt redeemed.

It's actually pretty fun. I really can't get over the art style though. I hate it so much.

yeah, because it's not just gun, it's type of gun. When I found a scoped gun right away, I was set. Often, I can't find a gun before I'm killed. I don't know how to land any faster. On game I dove straight down, landed, and was immediately shot and killed. So someone landed so much faster than me they had time to pick up a gun and run over to where I was and kill me. I don't know how you can move faster than falling straight down...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JBP posted:

Taking pot shots at your old employer on twitter sure is subtle and difficult to parse for the reader when you add emoticons!

You seem a tad bit obsessed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just chatting with my fellow posters about MGSV.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

We haven't been talking about 5 for a while now

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's actually Da5id Hayter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
A day or so after The Return ended I heard someone say Twin Peaks was the Metal Gear Solid of television and I was like ohhhhhh poo poo