Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
If I wake the screen on my iOS 11 6S, the text messages notifications go away afterwards. This is irritating because I do have lift to wake enabled, and so it's very possible that I will receive notifications that end up not on the lock screen next time I look at my phone, just because my phone was inadvertently woken in the meantime. It doesn't happen if it was woken by another notification, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

If you wanna use a case and or screen protector then do so. If you don't want to, then don't.

:shrug:

At the same time, you can wear a fanny pack if you want to, or not wear a fanny pack if you don't want to, but we'll still make fun of you if you choose to do so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Protocol7 posted:

Messages share option is also still there for me.

Share me that cat.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A thought I had after using a couple older iPhones with the oleophobic coating gone: Do screen protectors remove/damage the oleophobic coating?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Phthisis posted:

If I wake the screen on my iOS 11 6S, the text messages notifications go away afterwards. This is irritating because I do have lift to wake enabled, and so it's very possible that I will receive notifications that end up not on the lock screen next time I look at my phone, just because my phone was inadvertently woken in the meantime. It doesn't happen if it was woken by another notification, though.

You can drag the lock screen up to pop out "older notifications" but I agree, notifications just keep getting worse and worse in iOS.

Another fun bug: using Control Center to resume a podcast in Overcast doesn't seem to trigger the lock screen playback controls, and required a restart of Overcast for it to show up. Only happened once, so far...

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

enojy posted:

You can drag the lock screen up to pop out "older notifications" but I agree, notifications just keep getting worse and worse in iOS.

Another fun bug: using Control Center to resume a podcast in Overcast doesn't seem to trigger the lock screen playback controls, and required a restart of Overcast for it to show up. Only happened once, so far...

They do not appear below. They just vanish entirely. I'll try to take a screenshot of this next time it happens. It will still show the same list of notifications on the lock screen but with all the messages ones gone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

lelandjs posted:

A thought I had after using a couple older iPhones with the oleophobic coating gone: Do screen protectors remove/damage the oleophobic coating?

Not in my experience but the coating on the protectors themselves is usually of much poorer quality than what is on the phones actual screen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Evis posted:

The hardware just isn't built to handle much abuse. User error is going to happen and they just don't design for enough of it. Cases bring that up to an acceptable level for me. I should probably be using a BlackBerry or something but having access to the iOS App Store is nice.

[quote="“Evis”" post="“476828936”"]
I mean if it’s not in a case I inevitably shatter the screen from drops or whatever, not that that happens with a big case on it.
[/quote]

Fair enough I feel you. I wasn't trying to call you out or anything on it so I apologize if I came across harsh. Everyone has their own durability needs with their phones. I've found iPhones to be incredibly tough but honestly any number of my drops and knocks could've been a bad one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 8 is my first iPhone with a home button that doesn't actually click and almost a week later it's still wigging me the gently caress out. Between that and the incredibly satisfying clicks in the number picker I wish that the Taptic Engine were used in more places, like the keyboard. If Apple can nail the feel of a home button they should be able to figure out how to make it feel like I'm actually pressing keys on the keyboard.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So going to iOS 11 from a 6s 9.3.3, why when I delete an email while reading it does it automatically advance to the next email? This is dumb and I can't find anywhere to change it.

Also the whole turning off Wifi/BT from Control Center and it really doesn't turn them "off" is infuriating.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

lelandjs posted:

The 8 is my first iPhone with a home button that doesn't actually click and almost a week later it's still wigging me the gently caress out. Between that and the incredibly satisfying clicks in the number picker I wish that the Taptic Engine were used in more places, like the keyboard. If Apple can nail the feel of a home button they should be able to figure out how to make it feel like I'm actually pressing keys on the keyboard.
Glad you like it, but I think it blows (in the “feels like a button” department; it works fine). Doesn’t feel like a button at all to me, the sensation goes from corner to corner, and through the back.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

So going to iOS 11 from a 6s 9.3.3, why when I delete an email while reading it does it automatically advance to the next email? This is dumb and I can't find anywhere to change it.

Also the whole turning off Wifi/BT from Control Center and it really doesn't turn them "off" is infuriating.

Yes, that bugs the poo poo out of me. I don't know how true they are but I have read about studies that show reduced sleep quality when subjected to close proximity WiFi signals so I have always put my phone in airplane mode while sleeping or just turned off WiFi so that is useless now. Again, I don't know the validity of those studies but I would still like the choice of actually turning things off easily ITYOOL 2017 and not having to go balls deep into a menu system to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your phone has a power button if you're scared of EMF.

Also your house has a breaker panel so you can kill off that too.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

rio posted:

Yes, that bugs the poo poo out of me. I don't know how true they are but I have read about studies that show reduced sleep quality when subjected to close proximity WiFi signals so I have always put my phone in airplane mode while sleeping or just turned off WiFi so that is useless now. Again, I don't know the validity of those studies but I would still like the choice of actually turning things off easily ITYOOL 2017 and not having to go balls deep into a menu system to do it.

I find it unacceptable that Apple knows drat good and well that department stores, marketers, and FISs can gain a lot of information from phones that simply have Wifi or BT enabled and not even connected, and they decide to make this hairbrained decision.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spongeworthy posted:

I find it unacceptable that Apple knows drat good and well that department stores, marketers, and FISs can gain a lot of information from phones that simply have Wifi or BT enabled and not even connected, and they decide to make this hairbrained decision.

They probably figure that A) the ability to gather information for the user with those sensors is worth enough to outweigh the risk of gathering information against the user, which makes sense given that B) the whole "hiding where you are in public" ship sailed, sank, got dredged up, made into a museum, then sunk again a while ago.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

rio posted:

Are you for real? Come on man, don't spout that crap here. I thought we were smarter than that.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Michael Scott posted:

I thought we were smarter than that.

:goonsay:

Anywho, I've been having some troubles with my iPhone 7 after updating to iOS 11/11.0.1 - cellular data has become a problem. Every time I try to do something there is a huge pause before data starts flowing. Anyone else experienced this? Before iOS 11 the phone worked flawlessly on cellular data.

I tried resetting network settings to no avail as well as a power cycle. I'd really enjoy not restoring but I suppose I could try that next.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

Are you for real? Come on man, don't spout that crap here. I thought we were smarter than that.

I don't really care either way since I haven't read anything definitive or entirely convincing but it used to be easy enough to shut it off. I would at least like the option of being able to turn off my WiFi easily and the reason doesn't really matter.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The reason does matter though because I think the new behaviour makes a lot more sense most of the time.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How does a toggle meant to turn off a function that really leaves it on without telling you make sense?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

dissss posted:

The reason does matter though because I think the new behaviour makes a lot more sense most of the time.

yes, it is so extremely logical that an off-switch doesn't actually turn anything off after all, I agree

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

rio posted:

How does a toggle meant to turn off a function that really leaves it on without telling you make sense?

Because chance are you don't actually want to turn wifi off just disconnect from whatever lovely network your phone has latched on to.

ulvir posted:

yes, it is so extremely logical that an off-switch doesn't actually turn anything off after all, I agree

The question remains why do you want to turn it off in the first place?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
What is even more stupid than the question posed above is that at 0500 the phone tries to reconnect to known networks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I can see the logic behind that too (not that I necessarily agree with it)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lelandjs posted:

No option for haptic feedback on the keyboard was really weird to me coming to iOS after so long on Android. I don't care at all if it's better than standard Android haptic feedback or not, having it in any form would be fantastic.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

dissss posted:

Because chance are you don't actually want to turn wifi off just disconnect from whatever lovely network your phone has latched on to.

The question remains why do you want to turn it off in the first place?

This has got to be the most bizarre pair of sentences I've read this week.

I press the switch that normally turns things off and on because I want to turn the functionality associated with that switch off or on. Whilst there may be a different thing involving that functionality that might be something I want to do sometimes, in this case the desire and action are pretty much completely normal. And just slipping that new thing in the place of the established thing that made sense before is a pretty terrible way to make me look positively on the enforced change.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Apple knows best :smug: - giving you what most people actually want rather than what they think they want has always been the Apple way so I'm not sure why this surprises you.

Anyway no one has answered as to why you'd actually want to turn WiFi off.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Because we want to? We don't want it on? Why is this so important to you?

E: and since this was established functionality, and the change breaks the standard functionality of the off/on toggle, you've yet to give any reason that people would think this change makes sense or is intuitive, or is "what people actually want".

iajanus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 28, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's perhaps not intuitive, but the new behaviour is definitely what most normies would prefer.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

iajanus posted:

E: and since this was established functionality, and the change breaks the standard functionality of the off/on toggle, you've yet to give any reason that people would think this change makes sense or is intuitive, or is "what people actually want".

The reason it's important is because the button should do what most people want the button to do. Obviously we think the new behavior makes more sense but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

And please don't say RADIATION.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iajanus posted:

Because most people only ever turn their Wi-Fi off when their phone has latched on to some lovely free Wi-Fi service that isn't working and it's a ham-fisted way of doing what they actually want to do, which is to just get off that particular network. Most people have pathetic data allowances so going day-to-day without using Wi-Fi isn't feasible; turning off their Wi-Fi and forgetting to turn it back on once they're out of range of the network they didn't want to be on can have a painful impact upon their data allowances.

In that instance, it is what the majority of people want and it's pretty much par for the course with Apple.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

dissss posted:

No it absolutely sucks if you live in a wifi dense university campus or urban area and regularly connect to a wifi network with multiple APs. The wifi isn't strong enough for a solid connection on the street but keeps trying and refuses to fallback to LTE. If you don't disable wifi totally you'll never have a connection unless you are in a building. I pretty much can't have wifi turned on at all unless I'm in a building.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

No it absolutely sucks if you live in a wifi dense university campus or urban area and regularly connect to a wifi network with multiple APs. The wifi isn't strong enough for a solid connection on the street but keeps trying and refuses to fallback to LTE. If you don't disable wifi totally you'll never have a connection unless you are in a building. I pretty much can't have wifi turned on at all unless I'm in a building.

Do you think your case is representative for the majority of iPhone users?

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there a way to toggle WiFi calling via the control center? I used to turn off WiFi to avoid garbled calls when the WiFi is congested but that doesn't work in iOS 11.
And no, sensible QoS at the router sadly isn't an option here.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

The reason it's important is because the button should do what most people want the button to do. Obviously we think the new behavior makes more sense but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

And please don't say RADIATION.

Nobody has given any real reason that the new behaviour actually is what makes more sense or what most people want. As opposed to the multiple people who have expressed the simple view that the prior behaviour where the on off switch for wifi actually turns the wifi on and off is more logical and desired. Was literally anyone actually wanting to make this change?

Christ, I've heard of apple fanboys just throwing themselves behind any apple choice but I've never seen this ridiculous an example.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Arguing that an off switch shouldn't turn things off is pretty amazing, particularly when it isn't explained and still appears to be an off switch.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think it should be a preference, so you can select what the button does.

I certainly prefer "Disconnect from current network" to "Turn off until I remember to turn on again", but hey, tyranny of the majority. Go write your congressperson.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

While maybe it could have been implemented better, I think the new behavior makes the most sense.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Thermopyle posted:

While maybe it could have been implemented better, I think the new behavior makes the most sense.

:same:

Also 3D Touch Settings icon -> WiFi -> off isn't that slow if you really want it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

And then we get back to the wonder that is 3d touch capable things with no hint that there's any possible result behind using it. Another garbage implementation.