Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durf
Aug 16, 2017

First chicken dinner solo FPP. Tense as hell, 7 people in the 3rd to last circle in fog and grass. Re-positioned myself as one point by flashbanging everyone (including myself) and running to new cover.

Killed all but the last guy, suddenly realized the circle was murdering me, then he died first. I'll take it.

I think the PUBGods saw fit to give me win after this happened last time I played (hey, my foot made it :( ):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Just bought the game yesterday and I think I'm doing okay so far. I've broken the top 20 a few times and my KDR isn't terrible. It's pretty fun.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I was talking to a dude whose also really gotten into this game and he agreed its hard to go back to other FPS after this formula of 10-15 mins of tension per second of absolute terror. It's like if Denis Villeneuve designed an FPS. Every shot counts.

Also what helped my game was the tip to ride the edge of the circle. I was completely exposed most of the endgame on a sand bank, but still felt safe with nothing but gas and beach behind me. The guys loving around in the forest couldn't see me.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Today's adventures in solo pubg

1. landed in georgopol and got punched in the head by some guy at the start, leaving me with a sliver of health before I shoot him. the circle pops up in the southwest corner. I decide my gear's ok and there's no way I'll survive 10 seconds of blue, so I grab a boat and start sailing around the coast to get to the other side. I saw a crate drop in the middle of the ocean and run out of gas trying to reach it. For some reason I picked up a gas can so I refuel and search it, and there's a kar98 with no scope. The circle goes to milbase, I follow it and then lose a firefight to a guy with a scoped kar98

2. Ride a motorbike over a gradient, flip and die from full health

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Cathab posted:

Pretty new to the game, playing on OC servers.

They've recently introduced FPP duo servers as a trial. After seeing the hype about FPP I tried it out, and it felt... uncomfortable. Something about it felt off, and I ended up doing a suicide rush 10 mins into the game because I felt like I was getting motion sickness.

Bare in mind I've played FPS games for the last 15 years of my life constantly, and have never run into this issue. I have the view FOV slider maxed out also. Anyone have any ideas/have experienced this before?

I'm also pretty new to the game playing on OCE, we (and any other Oceanic goons) should team up and shred pubbies.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I play from brisbane, just join the discord and ask goons to play on AS. Even NA isnt that bad if you avoid shotguns

you do not need good ping to do well at this game. It's an equal disadvantage/advantage situationally

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Landed at school again recently for a change after having moved on from that for a while. Goddamn is it getting crowded there these days. You used to be able to get away with being a little late getting there, but these last 2 games it was no chance. Half a second late to the ground, ya dead.

Solo, for reference. Duals and Squads it's still pretty fun.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Landed at a clump of two two-story buildings with two smaller one-story buildings and walked away with the following:

• VSS with extended clip
  • Full kit Uzi with compensator
  • Glock18C with extended quickdraw clip, red dot, and supressor
  • Level 2 armor and hat, level 3 backpack, 2 first aid kits and a Med kit.

Thankfully I made it into the top ten...I'd be sooo pissed if I wasted such an opportunity in which I was armed....to the nines. :smug:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Thankfully I made it into the top ten...I'd be sooo pissed if I wasted such an opportunity in which I was armed....to the nines. :smug:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss that's the good stuff.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rex-Goliath posted:

Also scan your area for cars as you're dropping in so you know in advance if you're gonna have to run or not.

Literally one post up.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Ppl love to say fpp is more aggressive but the way ppl abuse meds in the blue zone in the last few circles in solo fpp is...not fun.

As far as solo goes, I actually enjoy TPP more than FPP right now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

What does med "abuse" have to do with solo or FPP?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Hooplah posted:

What does med "abuse" have to do with solo or FPP?

I think the idea is that both modes have med abuse (see break when he streams or evermore int he invitational), but FPP has it worse because you can hide more since it's easier to hide.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Literally nothing. The same thing happens across all modes. It's a valid tactic if you find yourself sitting on a few medkits in the end game.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm completely certain we'll see some changes that makes it a lot less viable in the future, but right now people will just have to deal with it

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Now healing is "med abuse" lol

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Please don't "gun abuse" me while I'm busy trying to heal in this game about blue circles, please and thank you god bless.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cage Kicker posted:

I'm tired of all this gun abuse I'm experiencing. The player should be judged on how fast he can tidy up an appartment complex.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
People are legit complaining about healing? It's part of looting, if you find a bunch of meds, you are going to be set up for end game if you are in good positions to hide after getting lit up. It's part of the game.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Shoot them with your op rifle until they die

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

People are legit complaining about healing? It's part of looting, if you find a bunch of meds, you are going to be set up for end game if you are in good positions to hide after getting lit up. It's part of the game.

Nah, 'med abuse' is when players stockpile a ton of meds and use them to hide in the blue for an abnormal amount of time while the players in the circle fight it out. It's a cheap tactic but it works, but it does seem to go against the general idea of the circles which is "force players into an area where they have to fight it out". It's up to Bluehole to decide if it's something they want to allow or remove, for now it's just something you have to plan for and deal with. At the far extreme of the tactic there was a long blog post a guy wrote about how he climbed to #1 ranked worldwide by doing nothing but hoarding meds and ignoring the circle entirely, frequently landing himself in the top 2 players enough times that his win-rating skyrocketed to the top.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 28, 2017

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nah, 'med abuse' is when players stockpile a ton of meds and use them to hide in the blue for an abnormal amount of time while the players in the circle fight it out. It's a cheap tactic but it works, but it does seem to go against the general idea of the circles which is "force players into an area where they have to fight it out". It's up to Bluehole to decide if it's something they want to allow or remove, for now it's just something you have to plan for and deal with.

If someone finds and picks up a dozen first aid kits, more power to them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

nimby posted:

If someone finds and picks up a dozen first aid kits, more power to them.

Sure, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that there wasn't something inherently broken about the way enmore won the tournament via medkit abuse, and it's been proven that the tactic translates to real world ranking as well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I mean, sorry dude, but I think you're on your own. Healing's just part of the game. This isn't abusing a broken mechanic like say, if you spawn in and buildings are invisible and you can see everyone, that's a problem. But things like healing, camping, grenades being overpowered - if everyone in the game has access to the same functionality, you just adjust.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
give me an item that lets me carry all the healing poo poo so i can heal my bros because my aim sucks

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The next time the RNG gods let me find 2 first aids and a medkit in my first house and then I make it to the final circles without needing to heal, I'm going to drop all my healing items because that's the honourable thing to do.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nah, 'med abuse' is when players stockpile a ton of meds and use them to hide in the blue for an abnormal amount of time while the players in the circle fight it out. It's a cheap tactic but it works, but it does seem to go against the general idea of the circles which is "force players into an area where they have to fight it out". It's up to Bluehole to decide if it's something they want to allow or remove, for now it's just something you have to plan for and deal with. At the far extreme of the tactic there was a long blog post a guy wrote about how he climbed to #1 ranked worldwide by doing nothing but hoarding meds and ignoring the circle entirely, frequently landing himself in the top 2 players enough times that his win-rating skyrocketed to the top.

Show me on the doll where the man outside the blue circle touched you?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Cage Kicker posted:

Using cover in a Call of Duty game is called "head glitching"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think they should make the final circles do increasing damage over time. It's not a huge problem as it stands but I don't think it's particularly fun and I don't have a problem with designers excising not-fun bits.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I just like hanging out in the ghost zone. Sue me.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Show me on the doll where the man outside the blue circle touched you?

The tactic doesn't bother me at all, I just don't see how it makes the game any better or why it's a bad thing to consider reducing how effective it is:shrug:

E: I'm only saying that enmore style medkit use of 'stockpiling medkits and sitting in the blue as long as possible until you die to inflate your rankings' is silly. I don't have any issues with using medkits to hang out in the blue the way Break does.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 28, 2017

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

The tactic doesn't bother me at all, I just don't see how it makes the game any better or why it's a bad thing to consider reducing how effective it is:shrug:

You can't nerf it without nerfing legitimate use. I once ran all the way from Georgopol to the military base on foot in the blue, chugging meds all the time. Ended up in the top 10, and even though I got 3 solo chicken dinners, that one trek is my most memorable game.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

People ragging on Fart Car (Hey Hio, KFS2 was great) are stupid. The game mechanics incentivize a specific behavior. There's nothing inherently wrong with engaging in said behavior, but it's absolutely worth being aware of it, and it's also possible it's a behavior BlueHole doesn't want to encourage. And as players we're allowed to dislike that that behavior is incentivized.

The interaction of meds and the circle at the end of the game doesn't seem to fit with what BlueHole otherwise encourages. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't capitalize on a stockpile of med kits so that you can hang out in the blue. But they are saying that it's dumb that it ends up working like that, and it would be cooler if it wasn't an option.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Athanatos posted:

Using cover in a Call of Duty game is called "head glitching"

It's a specific kind of using cover. In CoD the camera is on the top of the models head and that is where bullets come from. Head glitching is when someone shoots you with only their forehead exposed.

It's been a part of the game forever, and gets the most complaints from the realism crowd. It's impossible to do in pubg because bullets actually come out of the gun.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

nimby posted:

You can't nerf it without nerfing legitimate use. I once ran all the way from Georgopol to the military base on foot in the blue, chugging meds all the time. Ended up in the top 10, and even though I got 3 solo chicken dinners, that one trek is my most memorable game.
I only make those runs if I've got a killer load out. No more jogging for 10 minutes with a shotgun, UMP and no helmet - at some point you just gotta exit out and try again next time.

That said, made the trek from Georgopol to just short of Yasnaya with an insane load out just last night. Sometimes you just can't pass up the hand you've been dealt.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Pretty sure it was macklemore

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Someone itt suggested this a while ago and I still think it could work to alleviate this "issue" - the blue has the ability to do permanent non-healable damage. I'm thinking probably with some kind of warmup period, like once you take a total of 100% damage without leaving the blue, it starts dealing its same damage, but to your total health.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I killed a guy in the final 10 who had roughly 10 medikits, and with my four I headed to a corner of a house in the third to last circle and used all of them while the guy literally on the otherside of the door I was camping died to make it to final two.

Then I died because the winner had a scoped rifle and I didn't have any more meds when I got behind a tree after taking a body shot and the blue was coming in again :(

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hooplah posted:

Someone itt suggested this a while ago and I still think it could work to alleviate this "issue" - the blue has the ability to do permanent non-healable damage. I'm thinking probably with some kind of warmup period, like once you take a total of 100% damage without leaving the blue, it starts dealing its same damage, but to your total health.

The circle is already a massively lovely but arguably necessary central element of the game. Making the RNG even more oppressive and lovely isn't the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is maybe the best death reaction I've ever seen, this slays me

https://clips.twitch.tv/GeniusTsundereTigerTebowing
https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyWrongOkapiCoolCat

Both perspectives

• Locked thread