Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they are already making all the tech and stuff for genesis it doesn't seems like much a risk to try and create a market for upscale kias. Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

If they are already making all the tech and stuff for genesis it doesn't seems like much a risk to try and create a market for upscale kias. Idk.

They tried. Haven't you ever heard of a little thing called the Kia K900?

They've sold dozens. DOZENS!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Powershift posted:

They tried. Haven't you ever heard of a little thing called the Kia K900?

They've sold dozens. DOZENS!

That was like 80k tho right . Or more

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

That was like 80k tho right . Or more

Was? it's still for sale, and starts at $49,900.

They sold 35 in the US last month.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They had a cool Lebron commercial for it too. sad. I don't think they let most dealers sell it iirc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

They had a cool Lebron commercial for it too. sad. I don't think they let most dealers sell it iirc.

Yeah, you don't want folks walking into any ol' kia showroom and buying a $50,000 car.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

K900 Sales probably haven't paid for the LeBron bill yet.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Powershift posted:

Was? it's still for sale, and starts at $49,900.

They sold 35 in the US last month.

My dealership sold 13 of them and that's every single one we ever got in. We would have sold a lot more if they offered it in AWD.

The reason sales are way down for the K900 is Kia has no availability of them at least in the north east region. We can't order them which means the handful of customers that come in to ask about them get turned away. I have lease customers who wanted a new K900 to lease after their lease was up and we couldn't even get a hold of one for them. This has been the case for the last 18 months or so.

I've heard conflicting reports that they may relaunch the car as a 2018 with AWD. But that remains to be seen.

[quote="“Powershift”" post="“476816556”"]
Yeah, you don’t want folks walking into any ol’ kia showroom and buying a $50,000 car.

[/quote]

[quote="“Powershift”" post="“476816556”"]
Yeah, you don’t want folks walking into any ol’ kia showroom and buying a $50,000 car.

[/quote]

The vast majority of K900's sold were the $68k V8 VIP models and only about 1/3 of dealers opted in to the K900 certification.

Like I said before the Stinger is much more Sorento price range than K900 price range. Maybe the Kia dealer in bumfuck Arkansas is going to struggle to sell stingers but there are plenty of parts in the country where leasing a $45k car is pretty normal.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 27, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even notice that Genesis had become its own for-real-deal distinct marque. Thought they were just putting fancy badges on the Hyundai Genesis.

Questionable naming I guess but they really, really needed a luxury brand so their 50k cars armed to the teeth with luxury options weren't being identified with Accents and Elantras and poo poo

Regardless it'll take 'em a while to be be taken seriously

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

gently caress it, I'll :toxx: that Kia sells at least 25,000 stingers in 2018 in North America.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kill me now posted:

gently caress it, I'll :toxx: that Kia sells at least 25,000 stingers in 2018 in North America.

To sell that many, they'd have to build that many!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

While I think the Stinger is probably a fine car I do have a hard time wondering what the market size is for someone that just has enough money to buy a brand-new car but doesn't care about badges or esteem at all but still wants a bigger GT-style car. I'd have to assume someone struggling to get a 'nice' car is going to get a 'nice' one, an Audi probably. That's 'nice' and a Kia isn't, not yet.
If someone is really struggling they aren't going to buy a new car at all which makes it even easier to get a 'nice' car.

Anecdotal, but I have some friends that all went out and got Hyundais Genesis in turns because it was a big comfy car, available in black, had a good warranty, and were a better deal than the equivalent German cars. One upgraded from a Scion, another from a decade-old Camry. Word of mouth, the "I'll drive to lunch," "this is really nice!" kind, was more important than keeping up or one-ups-manship.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ill never understand the "lets make a cool car" to attract people, and then either artificially limit its numbers or give it halo pricing. you want brand loyalty but make no loving effort at all at getting people into your vehicles.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Speaking of new cars, does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive listing of all this year's vehicle models and their listed base price?

We know average new car price sold, but this has been harder to find. Trying to tie inflation, regulatory creep and consumer expectations together.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Sicilian posted:

Speaking of new cars, does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive listing of all this year's vehicle models and their listed base price?

We know average new car price sold, but this has been harder to find. Trying to tie inflation, regulatory creep and consumer expectations together.

I'd be curious about this too. Cheap new cars exist, just people don't buy them because the new car market is dominated by leases and people really prefer larger cars in the USA.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Proud Christian Mom posted:

ill never understand the "lets make a cool car" to attract people, and then either artificially limit its numbers or give it halo pricing. you want brand loyalty but make no loving effort at all at getting people into your vehicles.

One word: dealers.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd be curious about this too. Cheap new cars exist, just people don't buy them because the new car market is dominated by leases and people really prefer larger cars in the USA.

It's a ridiculously skewed stat due to stripper models and the games manufacturers will play to beat others in price on paper. But when it comes down to it, I am going splurge on power windows, locks, and AC which could be a $1k-$2k price increase. I wish there was a better way to evaluate "reasonably" optioned cars to exclude some of the outliers.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Anecdotal, but I have some friends that all went out and got Hyundais Genesis in turns because it was a big comfy car, available in black, had a good warranty, and were a better deal than the equivalent German cars. One upgraded from a Scion, another from a decade-old Camry. Word of mouth, the "I'll drive to lunch," "this is really nice!" kind, was more important than keeping up or one-ups-manship.

Pretty much why I bought one. I was looking at the C/E-Class, A/S6 and Lexus GS at the time. The Genesis was basically everything I liked and wanted out of those cars with a $15k lower sticker price in Canada. I wasn't too worried about brand and my Hyundai dealer is decent despite some delivery issues I had.

2 years and 24,000km in and it's holding up well. Only rattle/squeak is that the panoramic sunroof rattles a bit when it's open. The windshield spontaneously cracked a few months back (no chip or road damage I could see) but they replaced it under warranty.

It's been a pretty great car, but since I bought a 2015 it's not under the new Genesis service plan/customer care stuff which pisses me off. I'm considering a trade down to the G70 when it comes out if it's not total financial suicide.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The 911 GT2 RS did a 6:47.3 lap around the Nurburgring which is pretty holy gently caress fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh8_2zQZ3xM

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

TheWevel posted:

One word: dealers.

Dealers don't make MSRP choices or limit numbers. We want to sell as many cars as possible every single month. Not being able to get desirable cars hurts more than being able to charge more due to artificial scarcity. That is all on the manufacture side. Cool and desirable cars have higher prices because they are more expensive and difficult to make, low production runs also drive cost up. But typically with the higher vehicle price tag the pool of potential customers shrinks as well.

Dealer price gouging on cars like limited edition Mustangs or Civic Type R's is a different issue, but Honda is the one deciding how many Type R's it can produce. There price gouging wouldn't be an issue if they didn't limit availability because there would always be another dealer selling it for less.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kill me now posted:

Dealer price gouging on cars like limited edition Mustangs or Civic Type R's is a different issue, but Honda is the one deciding how many Type R's it can produce. There price gouging wouldn't be an issue if they didn't limit availability because there would always be another dealer selling it for less.

I agree that Honda should probably make more cars to meet demand (although that would limit media coverage) to somehow shift blame from dealers being dealers onto the manufacture is pretty transparent.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

The 911 GT2 RS did a 6:47.3 lap around the Nurburgring which is pretty holy gently caress fast.

That is a nauseatingly fast lap. Jesus.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Almost as nauseating as the color combo :barf:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's faster than the last F1 races there. Really says a lot about how far we've come.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

Amazing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm watching it and it looks like a sped up video except for the clock in the lower center. :perfect:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The speed paired with the way the telemetry is displayed is making my brain refuse to believe it isn't just a modern racing game.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I never really noticed before, but the nurburgring track map sort of looks like a boar's head.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Finger Prince posted:

I never really noticed before, but the nurburgring track map sort of looks like a boar's head.

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Looks like a Nurburgring-shaped cloud.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

eyebeem posted:

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Hakuna Matata.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I know it's never going to happen but I'd love to see lap times on the same tyres. I read somewhere that the GT2 was shod with Pilot Cup 2's, I'd love to know how quick a car that set a 7:30 10 years ago would run on current tyres.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Finger Prince posted:

It looks more like the Stig's left nipple.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anyways, back to vehicles people actually buy.

A Limited F-450 with all the boxes ticked is $94,455.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-introduces-f-series-super-duty-limited-with-a-price-as-big-as-texas/

Next year the US might see a $100,000 factory ford pickup truck. :911:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Anyways, back to vehicles people actually buy.

A Limited F-450 with all the boxes ticked is $94,455.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-introduces-f-series-super-duty-limited-with-a-price-as-big-as-texas/

Next year the US might see a $100,000 factory ford pickup truck. :911:

I had a look at the website and a F150 crewcab Limited starts at $54k with the 6" bed but $60k with the 5" bed. Are they using the Porsche pricing model now?

In other news you can now get a Bang & Olufson sound system on an F-150.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

I had a look at the website and a F150 crewcab Limited starts at $54k with the 6" bed but $60k with the 5" bed. Are they using the Porsche pricing model now?

God drat that's an awful small bed. What do you haul in that thing, stage sets of Stonehenge?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Throatwarbler posted:

I wonder if it's gonna be like the poo poo 5 speaker one they put in the R8 or the lush million speaker job they put in the S8 which was actually pretty drat great.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

God drat that's an awful small bed. What do you haul in that thing, stage sets of Stonehenge?

It hauls a pallet of whatever, which is pretty much the weight limit of a regular non-payload package half ton.

or a queen size bed with the ends sticking out the back or an ATV with the back wheels sitting on the tailgate or a yard of black dirt or.......

There are probably as many use cases where you're limited by payload before you're limited by volume.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wonder if it's gonna be like the poo poo 5 speaker one they put in the R8 or the lush million speaker job they put in the S8 which was actually pretty drat great.

It's probably the same poo poo paper oem speakers everybody uses only there's 10 of them

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Powershift posted:

It hauls a pallet of whatever, which is pretty much the weight limit of a regular non-payload package half ton.

He's making fun of Throatworbler for writing it as a 6 inch bed, when he meant 6 foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

davebo posted:

To be fair the lengths are 67.1" and 78.9" (and 97.6").

GF and I can sleep just fine in my 5.5'... with the tailgate down.