Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cowofwar posted:

The US basically funds a lot of its police departments and federal agencies with illegally seized cash from minorities and other people who aren't privileged enough to deal with banks or defend themselves.

Carrying large amounts of cash is BWM but also a loving sad state of affairs.

That's all true, but I don't think someone withdrawing 20k from their retirement account and hopping on a flight to San Francisco to buy a Mustang is someone who isn't "privileged enough to deal with banks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

$20,000 in $100s is .86 inches thick. That's front pocket territory, not bag full of cash territory. That story sounds like bullshit in at least one of many ways.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Papa John Misty posted:

$20,000 in $100s is .86 inches thick. That's front pocket territory, not bag full of cash territory. That story sounds like bullshit in at least one of many ways.

Yeah how could they even tell he had that much money in his bag? And I also doubt they would pull him into a stairwell, lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yeah how could they even tell he had that much money in his bag? And I also doubt they would pull him into a stairwell, lol

Also, no mention of a property receipt.

This sounds quite fictional.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cowofwar posted:

The US basically funds a lot of its police departments and federal agencies with illegally seized cash from minorities and other people who aren't privileged enough to deal with banks or defend themselves.

It's worse than that. It's legally-seized cash. Civil asset forfeiture is entirely legal, just horrifically immoral and prima facie unconstitutional.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Phanatic posted:

It's worse than that. It's legally-seized cash. Civil asset forfeiture is entirely legal, just horrifically immoral and prima facie unconstitutional.

Civil Asset Forfeiture is the one of the 3 scummiest things our government does.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What are the other two?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

My friend's family is heavily involved with a MLM, to the point where he has worked for them as a consultant for several years. So he actually makes a salary (no benefits), but he basically doesn't think MLMs are bad since they helped his parents make money.

Anyway, his parents being so deep in, all their friends are also MLM scammers. So they send their Financial advisor to my friend, and the guy convinced my friend that 401ks are a waste of money, and smart people don't use them. Instead they have Life Insurance policies.

Mind you, my friend is in his mid 20s, unmarried with no kids. His beneficiary is his already wealthy dad.

That's the beauty of it, the people that are deep into it may well be making money off their recruited sellers. If you're not making money, it's not that there's a problem with the system/product/service, it's that you're not trying hard enough.

For whole life insurance, isn't there an edge case where those policies are worthwhile for estate tax avoidance?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

What are the other two?

Trump and whatever the hell kind of scum holds Trump's hair together

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

If the mod thread had allowed me to before I left for work, I was going to move this thread to AI for a few hours to punish all

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I love stories about Boomers and Whole Life Insurance, because my personal experience makes it highlight the collective ignorance of an entire generation.

Both my parents and my in-laws are pretty GWM overall, mine are comfortably retired, my in-laws are stable but haven't planned for retirement and likely won't get to full retirement. Both bought Whole Life Insurance for their respective children and have then tried to pawn off the policies on my wife and I. We're not touching that poo poo with a ten foot pole; the only interaction is cashing out the policies to whatever extent is possible and buying term with the proceeds.

There's nothing malicious in it, but I can't see any way that buying a whole life insurance policy is reasonable once one understands insurance and socialized risk. The insurance company has to pay out, so the only bet is that you croak soon enough for your aggregate premiums to be a net gain in a pool that will 100% payout, with the only variable being when.

My parents made things a lot easier for me by not having a pot to piss in. Don't have to worry about any inheritance, any financial instruments, etc.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Motronic posted:

Also, no mention of a property receipt.

This sounds quite fictional.

Is the way to deal with that not to just get evidence of where the money came from, ie. retirement account transaction proof, turn up at wherever took your money and get it back?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Is the way to deal with that not to just get evidence of where the money came from, ie. retirement account transaction proof, turn up at wherever took your money and get it back?

If you want to get really angry at the government read up on civil asset forfeiture. It's enough to make rational people stroke out.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I found one! OP buys a predevelopment property at the top of the bubble. Now that the bubble is deflating, he can't sell his current house for what he once expected, and is looking to give up $75,000 in hopes of getting out of his current contract:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/72rr7l/overreached_bought_a_home_that_i_cant_afford_is/

quote:

Overreached, bought a home that I can't afford .. is there any way to get out of the contract?

Hello r/LegalAdvice,
I made a pretty huge mistake, earlier this year, I bought a house that was above my means as a pre development property in Ontario, Canada.
As the market came tumbling down, I realized that my current home will not sell for what I anticipated, in fact, quite a bit less. As a result, affording the new home will be very difficult.
I have already put $75,000 in deposits into the new house and there's still $35,000 pending. I made the wrong call, got greedy with the housing boom and understand that I made a mistake.
Is there anything that I can do to get out of the contract without being sued? I am okay with forfeiting that deposit in order to get out of the contract.
Thanks,

Some choice responses by the op:

quote:

Thanks for the response. So my current house has about $350,000 in equity in it, the new home was for $1.1M and I have $110,000 set aside for the initial payments. That means, I have $990,000 remaining after the deposit.
By selling my current home and pulling $275,000 in equity, I will be left with a $715,000 mortgage left which is essentially double what I am currently paying.

Ideal circumstance would have been to have my current home sell for roughly $900,000 which is where it was when I took the step at the purchasing the new home.
Unfortunately, things just don't go as planned sometimes so the ideal circumstance is to sell the home at a loss that is not too significant.

I can still afford the mortgage but it will be very tight. In the worst case scenario, I will accept the consequences of my actions and close.
However, ideally, I would like to get out of the contract and am willing to forfeit the $75,000 that I have already put in.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

"Hi yes I'm a young person and I'd like to have all of the potential upside and literally zero of the risk of a major financial decision? I feel considerably smarter than the average person, and so feel fully entitled to make this kind of request. For your records, please note that I spent almost 15 whole minutes considering likely ramifications before making this major financial decision. Thanks!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

No. In Civil Asset Forfeiture, the state is technically proceeding directly against the property, not the person possessing it. So, for example, the police are technically not taking your money because you were dealing drugs, they are technically enforcing directly against your bag of money for its role in criminal enterprise. This means that when you want your money back, you aren't actually the defendant in any actions - you're a third party petitioning the court for action. Also, because the police are acting against property and not a person, they are not held to the same levels of proof and cause that they would be if they tried to arrest you. In some places, that standard is as low as 'probable cause' - meaning that the police need no more basis to take someone's money or car than they do to initiate a search or arrest someone.

The nature of forfeiture also allows police to go after property or assets that are implicated in crime, even if their actual owners were not aware or participating. So for instance, if someone is selling drugs from a property, that property could be seized even if it wasn't owned by the person committing the crime, and the crime happened without their knowledge or participation. And, because of the lower bar, this can even happen in a situation where there isn't even a conviction for the crime underlying the forfeiture.

Law enforcement is usually allowed to keep something between 50% - 100% of forfeiture, so you can imagine how motivated they are to both seize property and ensure they hold onto it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To add to this and stir the pot, here are some choice civil asset forefiture cases:

United States v. 12 200-ft. Reels of Film
United States v. $124,700 in U.S. Currency
United States v. Approximately 64,695 Pounds of Shark Fins
United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls
United States v. Forty Barrels and Twenty Kegs of Coca-Cola
United States v. One Book Called Ulysses
United States v. One Package of Japanese Pessaries
United States v. Thirty-seven Photographs
United States v. Vampire Nation
United States v. 11 1/4 Dozen Packages of Articles Labeled in Part Mrs. Moffat's Shoo-Fly Powders for Drunkenness
United States v. 2,507 Live Canary Winged Parakeets
United States v. One Lucite Ball Containing Lunar Material (One Moon Rock) and One Ten Inch by Fourteen Inch Wooden Plaque
Nebraska v. One 1970 2-Door Sedan Rambler (Gremlin)
South Dakota v. Fifteen Impounded Cats
State of Texas vs. One Gold Crucifix.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's United States v. RMS Titanic, too, if I recall correctly. Wasn't civil forfeiture, but the wreck got sued in rem at some point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Civil Forfeiture: Bad with Pessaries

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yisssss. Thread title.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm still proud of Bad w/ Money: I just paid for a fat bitches Electric Cock Zapping Sex Toy in Kentucky

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To be entirely fair that was way better and one of my favorites. And all I did was present a menu.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Zybourne Financial Services" will get its day someday :unsmith:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How do I donate to the impounded cats defense? I am BWM.

I feel like I can beat some first year SD St law school grad with a shady internet lawyer.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 28, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Weatherman posted:

What? No, use the handbrake.

Drunk Tomato posted:

My friend's family is heavily involved with a MLM, to the point where he has worked for them as a consultant for several years. So he actually makes a salary (no benefits), but he basically doesn't think MLMs are bad since they helped his parents make money.

Anyway, his parents being so deep in, all their friends are also MLM scammers. So they send their Financial advisor to my friend, and the guy convinced my friend that 401ks are a waste of money, and smart people don't use them. Instead they have Life Insurance policies.

Mind you, my friend is in his mid 20s, unmarried with no kids. His beneficiary is his already wealthy dad.

The only reason to buy life insurance as a retirement vehicle is if you have no better options because you are not offered a 401k or other retirement account, or you have maxed out your 401k and put a other retirement accounts

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

The only reason to buy life insurance as a retirement vehicle is if you have no better options because you are not offered a 401k or other retirement account, or you have maxed out your 401k and put a other retirement accounts

The good old LIRP. I used to run into 20 something year olds with those because their dad heard Sean Hannity talk about a way to "be your own bank and save for retirement." 90% of the time they weren't even contributing to a regular retirement account.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Staryberry posted:

I found one! OP buys a predevelopment property at the top of the bubble. Now that the bubble is deflating, he can't sell his current house for what he once expected, and is looking to give up $75,000 in hopes of getting out of his current contract:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/72rr7l/overreached_bought_a_home_that_i_cant_afford_is/

Some choice responses by the op:

This is apparently happening all over Toronto. Like the housing market went from berserk to like, less berserk, overnight.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/non-buyer-s-remorse-toronto-sellers-frustrated-as-home-buyers-tack-on-demands-1.3541706

Seller Rudy Ionides was busy packing boxes for his move this weekend when he received a letter from a lawyer saying the buyers of his home want to adjust their offer. They want to reduce the sale price by $50,000, extend the closing date to Sept. 7 and have Ionides loan them $500,000 in a vendor takeback mortgage.

apologies if that's been posted before.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

How is it any better than a regular Vanguard brokerage account?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

olylifter posted:

This is apparently happening all over Toronto. Like the housing market went from berserk to like, less berserk, overnight.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/non-buyer-s-remorse-toronto-sellers-frustrated-as-home-buyers-tack-on-demands-1.3541706

Seller Rudy Ionides was busy packing boxes for his move this weekend when he received a letter from a lawyer saying the buyers of his home want to adjust their offer. They want to reduce the sale price by $50,000, extend the closing date to Sept. 7 and have Ionides loan them $500,000 in a vendor takeback mortgage.

apologies if that's been posted before.
From what I understand, a vendor take-back mortgage is basically a second mortgage that is offered by the seller, rather than a bank or other lender. I believe in a default the second mortgage comes after the first mortgage so if the buyer defaults and the house isn't actually worth the value of the two mortgages together then the seller who offered the VTB loan is basically hosed as the primary mortgage lender gets the house.

BWM.

http://www.whichmortgage.ca/article/the-return-of-the-vendor-takeback-mortgage-221647.aspx

Buyer offers $1,000,000 on property. Puts down $100,000 (10%), needs another 10% to qualify for the first mortgage so gets a $100,000 VTB loan from the seller and then gets a $800,000 loan from a bank. Borrower defaults, bank forecloses on home. Borrower now owes bank whatever difference between mortgage and value of house, borrower also owes private seller VTB balance. Borrower declares bankruptcy, loans discharged, bank now has house while seller has nothing.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

How is it any better than a regular Vanguard brokerage account?

Tax free income, but probably won't get the same performance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

From what I understand, a vendor take-back mortgage is basically a second mortgage that is offered by the seller, rather than a bank or other lender. I believe in a default the second mortgage comes after the first mortgage so if the buyer defaults and the house isn't actually worth the value of the two mortgages together then the seller who offered the VTB loan is basically hosed as the primary mortgage lender gets the house.

BWM.

http://www.whichmortgage.ca/article/the-return-of-the-vendor-takeback-mortgage-221647.aspx

Buyer offers $1,000,000 on property. Puts down $100,000 (10%), needs another 10% to qualify for the first mortgage so gets a $100,000 VTB loan from the seller and then gets a $800,000 loan from a bank. Borrower defaults, bank forecloses on home. Borrower now owes bank whatever difference between mortgage and value of house, borrower also owes private seller VTB balance. Borrower declares bankruptcy, loans discharged, bank now has house while seller has nothing.

Uhh doesn't the seller have 900k?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Uhh doesn't the seller have 900k?

If I'm reading it right, no. The seller makes the loan independent of the bank, and is owed after the initial mortgage. Meaning, essentially, that this is a financial instrument for a person somewhat desperate to sell their property.

e: I guess you might get some interest out of it? But an individual seller doesn't have the same economy of scale as a bank does, so that 4% is likely overwhelmingly not worth the risk of default

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 28, 2017

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I would think the vendor would not do the loan at the same rate as the bank...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tax free income, but probably won't get the same performance.

Yeah it is diversification from the stock market and bonds when you already have a 401k and a traditional ira with a lot of stocks and bonds in them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ashcans posted:

No. In Civil Asset Forfeiture, the state is technically proceeding directly against the property, not the person possessing it. So, for example, the police are technically not taking your money because you were dealing drugs, they are technically enforcing directly against your bag of money for its role in criminal enterprise. This means that when you want your money back, you aren't actually the defendant in any actions - you're a third party petitioning the court for action. Also, because the police are acting against property and not a person, they are not held to the same levels of proof and cause that they would be if they tried to arrest you. In some places, that standard is as low as 'probable cause' - meaning that the police need no more basis to take someone's money or car than they do to initiate a search or arrest someone.

The nature of forfeiture also allows police to go after property or assets that are implicated in crime, even if their actual owners were not aware or participating. So for instance, if someone is selling drugs from a property, that property could be seized even if it wasn't owned by the person committing the crime, and the crime happened without their knowledge or participation. And, because of the lower bar, this can even happen in a situation where there isn't even a conviction for the crime underlying the forfeiture.

Law enforcement is usually allowed to keep something between 50% - 100% of forfeiture, so you can imagine how motivated they are to both seize property and ensure they hold onto it.

My wife's aunt had a renter in her house who was selling cocaine. Police got tipped off, and I guess they got a search warrant to search the whole house, not just coke dealer's room. Her family is Latino, and they do a lot of stuff primarily in cash- like paying the rent. Aunt had $3,500 taken by the police under civil forfeiture , which was the rent money she had gathered from everybody living in the house intended to pay the mortgage each month. Which at the time was extremely critical for her because she was living paycheck-paycheck since her husband had been deported several months prior and she was on a single income with a 10 year old son to care for. :(

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah I'm sure she had no idea that one of her renters was selling cocaine lol

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's alright.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Hey Hey, it's our scammer blogger with survived brain cancer:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/disgraced-wellness-blogger-belle-gibson-fined/8995500

quote:

Fake wellness blogger Belle Gibson has been ordered to pay a fine of $410,000 after being found guilty of misleading and deceptive conduct earlier this year.

The fine includes:

$90,000 for failing to donate proceeds from the sale of The Whole Pantry app, as publicly advertised
$50,000 for failing to donate proceeds from the launch of The Whole Pantry app
$30,000 for failing to donate proceeds from a 2014 Mothers Day event
$90,000 for failing to donate other company profits
$150,000 for failing to donate 100 per cent of one week's app sales to the family of Joshua Schwarz, a boy who had an inoperable brain tumour
What a scumbag. Guess it's BWM being a lying sack of poo poo and using a dying kid for profit.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Hey Hey, it's our scammer blogger with survived brain cancer:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/disgraced-wellness-blogger-belle-gibson-fined/8995500

What a scumbag. Guess it's BWM being a lying sack of poo poo and using a dying kid for profit.

Yeah, but she still turned a profit, (I think I read that she "earned" $1.1 million).

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
Guess it's GWM being a lying sack of poo poo and using a dying kid for profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

https://www.quora.com/At-what-net-worth-would-you-start-considering-someone-wealthy

Local favorites Quora with the always-enlightening perspective about what constitutes wealth. Some good answers, mostly bad answers. Turns out it's pretty clear that a salary of $95,000 USD/year leaves you an impoverished dirt farmer and a salary of $105,000 USD/year makes you literally Bill Gates.