Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Proud Christian Mom posted:

at a certain point hot-poo poo mid major coaches are going to look at fallen powerhouses with their unrealistic expectations and say 'nope'

We, and other fallen powerhouses, have a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

at a certain point hot-poo poo mid major coaches are going to look at fallen powerhouses with their unrealistic expectations and say 'nope'

It's a giant raise and there aren't that many power five jobs. You also don't want to miss your window to make the jump. There are plenty of mid major coaches who were hot at one point, waited too long on taking a P5 opportunity, and then fell off and were never a candidate again (shouts to Mark Hudspeth)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I see you, Pete Lembo

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

MourningView posted:

Tressel was still under a showcause until like this year so I don't really see how that's comparable.

Oh I agree, and anyone with half a brain knew that Tressel wasn't happening. What I meant is that Husker fans are all buzzing about the possibility of Frost coming to Nebraska, the rumor mill is churning, the same way it was with Tressel. I'm not saying my opinion of it reasonable, it's just my gut reaction that when Husker fans in general talk about something being likely to happen, it doesn't happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This rumor makes sense and is a real thing that could happen though

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Please don't take my coach. This year has sucked enough for UCF with the canceled games and poo poo due to the hurricane. :(

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Nebraska has to have the highest degree of difficulty of any of the historical powerhouse programs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Nebraska has to have the highest degree of difficulty of any of the historical powerhouse programs.

Yale :v:

Hey I'm technically correct.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Could be. Honestly, if Nebraska could hire someone that gets the program back to about where Pelini had it, without being a thin-skinned douchebag who is loyal to a fault (see: Tim Beck's career), most Husker fans would be satisfied. I would be, anyway.

I can't speak to boosters and whatnot, though. Will Larry the Cable Guy settle for 9 wins a season?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Army

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I wonder if Tennessee would take a shot at Bobby Petrino?

I thought they were crazy to hire Butch over him, scandal and all. And I'm not trying to rag on you here, I was shocked from day one that they hired a guy who was so consistently mediocre in the Big East.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nate fisher posted:

I wonder if Tennessee would take a shot at Bobby Petrino?

The Fulmer Cup is now The Petrino Cup

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

I'd say some of the SEC ones are tougher, simply because of the schedule. The Big Ten west is relatively weak, Nebraska has an easier path to the playoffs than someone like LSU or Texas A&M.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

This is probably why Chris Petersen took so long to move from the Boise State job.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

This is probably why Chris Petersen took so long to move from the Boise State job.

He had a very sick son being treated in Boise.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I haven't really followed Petrino all that much and I remember the banging coeds and the motorcycle wreck, but aside from that what's he done to make him a "bad guy"? I feel like I haven't heard about him in a while except for just being attached to Louisville's success.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Seaniqua posted:

Could be. Honestly, if Nebraska could hire someone that gets the program back to about where Pelini had it, without being a thin-skinned douchebag who is loyal to a fault (see: Tim Beck's career), most Husker fans would be satisfied. I would be, anyway.

I can't speak to boosters and whatnot, though. Will Larry the Cable Guy settle for 9 wins a season?

I can't believe Texas has now hired Shawn Watson and Tim Beck, two OC's who were hated at every previous stop, who were also specifically at Nebraska during a time when Nebraska's offense routinely looked putrid against Texas. Tim Beck is real bad, and Shawn Watson is a goddamn human catastrophe.

That bowl game against Arkansas (2 yards rushing, 59 yards total, literally the least offense ever in a bowl game) followed by the next year's opener against Notre Dame (163 yards total, 3 points) was some of the most spectacularly bad offense I have ever witnessed, in back-to-back games no less. Who knows what could have happened if Charlie had hired a halfway decent OC from the beginning instead of going with the worst possible option, inexplicably retaining him after he literally found a way to do his job worse than anyone has ever done it before, and then firing him one game into the next season, meaning it was season 3 before he even had a chance at maybe fielding a decent offense. Shawn Watson loving sucks, y'all. Pitt fans, if you're out there, I'm sorry that your OC sucks.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

I haven't really followed Petrino all that much and I remember the banging coeds and the motorcycle wreck, but aside from that what's he done to make him a "bad guy"? I feel like I haven't heard about him in a while except for just being attached to Louisville's success.

I think the way he left Louisville the first time, and then left the Falcons were widely criticized (especially Atlanta after one year).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

There were some really great rants posted by someone in one of the douche of the year tournaments about him but I can't be bothered to go find them now. Here's an SBNation thing that goes through a lot of it though.

He's not like an Art Briles type of bad person as far as we know, more of a Lane Kiffin.

e: Here's the way Falcons players learned that he was quitting to take the Arkansas job with three games left in the season. This was taped to their lockers the morning of the day he had a press conference announcing him as the Arkansas coach.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 28, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Of course, Arkansas didn't fire him for loving around, they fired him for putting his side piece on the payroll.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Heh I forgot about the Falcons thing

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thermos H Christ posted:

Pitt fans, if you're out there, I'm sorry that your OC sucks.

Huh, so that's where he is now.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Joey Freshwater posted:

Heh I forgot about the Falcons thing

:same: totally forgot those great laughs.

Also I don't know why we are discussing Petrino ITT, there is no reason to fire him and he hasn't done anything bad during his second stint at Louisville.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

an adult beverage posted:

:same: totally forgot those great laughs.

Also I don't know why we are discussing Petrino ITT, there is no reason to fire him and he hasn't done anything bad during his second stint at Louisville.

That is not why we are discussing him. We are talking about since his buyout is less now (due to AD firing) will a team like Auburn or Tennessee take a run at him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So, Butch Jones ...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
He's gotta be fired, OP. Coaching for his job and the team just lay down. It's over.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Please to be firing him.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

rip butch, he never scored

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blue Raider posted:

rip butch, he never scored

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey so he fired yet

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
When I die please let Tennessee's coaching staff be my pallbearers, so they can let me down one last time.

I know old joke, but true.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Fumble on the burial.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Reminder that Butch Jones, Bret Bielema, and Ed Orgeron all have buyouts of $12 million or more. The economics of college football are really sustainable and healthy.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Reminder that Butch Jones, Bret Bielema, and Ed Orgeron all have buyouts of $12 million or more. The economics of college football are really sustainable and healthy.

SEC dumb, so what

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Particularly in the SEC.

I'm not sure what Mac's buyout at UF is, but UF paid his 10m$ buyout from CSU so he isn't going anywhere despite the team eroding before our very eyes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

Particularly in the SEC.

I'm not sure what Mac's buyout at UF is, but UF paid his 10m$ buyout from CSU so he isn't going anywhere despite the team eroding before our very eyes.

I don't know if eroding is the right word, they seem solid as a rock to me. Without especially paying attention, I know exactly what Florida is going to be every year.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I don't know if eroding is the right word, they seem solid as a rock to me. Without especially paying attention, I know exactly what Florida is going to be every year.

Maybe if you've only been paying attention for 7 years.

Also the defense is awful - which has been the only consistent phase of UF football during this mediocre stretch.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

hi, me in 2011 7 years after we started sucking.

Seriously though, those buyouts are insane.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Coach O hire seemed dumb at the time and it's not looking much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which SEC coach gets fired first

Butch, Bert, Sumlin, Odom, Gus, or Orgeron