Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LIQUID SKY comes to Blu-ray in a special limited edition package this Black Friday at VinegarSyndrome.com!

Slava Tsukerman’s new wave, sci-fi masterpiece, LIQUID SKY will be making its worldwide Blu-ray debut during our Black Friday sale (November 24th-27th), EXCLUSIVELY on VinegarSyndrome.com in a special limited edition package!

The release will feature an all new, director and cinematographer approved, 4k restoration from the original camera negative, along side loads of extra features, among them interviews with director Tsukerman, star Anne Carlisle, cinematographer Yuri Neyman, production designer Marina Levikova, among others. Plus never before seen outtakes and production stills, and more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Iron Crowned posted:

We can't reveal what the secret Blus are, but we can say that both are highly-requested direct-to-video horror films that were shot and finished on film and have never been available in film sourced editions. One is making its DVD and Blu debut and the other is making its Blu-ray debut, but no past editions of either have been film sourced.

Please note:
• Due to the fact that these are limited edition releases, we will require payment upfront.

A blind paid preorder, that's a new one on me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So... any guesses as to what the hell movies those are?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So... any guesses as to what the hell movies those are?

If neither of them are Tammy and the T-Rex they can shove it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

If neither of them are Tammy and the T-Rex they can shove it.

You just convinced me to buy it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

business hammocks posted:

You just convinced me to buy it.

Holy poo poo, are they going to make a Tammy and the T-Rex blu-ray?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean the improbable possibility has caused me to buy whatever the mystery titles are.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Congrats on your purchase of Leif Jonker's Darkness.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Origami Dali posted:

Congrats on your purchase of Leif Jonker's Darkness.

I'm pretty sure that was SOV, not shot on film and released DTV.

e: that said if it's seriously Leif Jonker's Darkness and fuckin' Tammy and the T-Rex I'm gonna poo poo bricks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's probably Theodore Rex instead

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I read that one of the titles is The Clown at Midnight. And if it is actually going to be Leif Jonker's Darkness, it will be the 1993 director's cut with a redone soundtrack full of local band butt rock. I'll just stick with the solo Liquid Sky preorder for now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ultraviolence123 posted:

And if it is actually going to be Leif Jonker's Darkness, it will be the 1993 director's cut with a redone soundtrack full of local band butt rock.

You mean THE VAMPIRE VERSION?

(I've never really understood that moniker- is there a version without vampires?)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultraviolence123 posted:

I read that one of the titles is The Clown at Midnight.

Haha, now that's just cruel.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Made a google calendar reminder just for the Liquid Sky sale. Lol, I've never been this hyped for a blind buy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone else having a problem adding Liquid Sky to their cart?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Anyone else having a problem adding Liquid Sky to their cart?

Yeah, the whole site just crashed.

e: got it to add, 504 error. Got a message saying that pre-orders have to be done in a separate cart from anything else, so just a heads up if you're jumping on anything else for their sale.

e2: Checkout is broken if you select another country, it forces a refresh of payment options (I assume to add shipping) and just never loads the ability to progress with Paypal.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 28, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My paypal says it charged... so that's good i guess. it 504'd before i got a success screen. :ohdear:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Yeah, the whole site just crashed.

e: got it to add, 504 error. Got a message saying that pre-orders have to be done in a separate cart from anything else, so just a heads up if you're jumping on anything else for their sale.

I had to refresh everything a whole bunch of times and it took several tries for them to connect to paypal, but I got it. Good luck, everyone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I had to refresh everything a whole bunch of times and it took several tries for them to connect to paypal, but I got it. Good luck, everyone.

Yeah it kept getting hung up on the paypal connection for me as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah it kept getting hung up on the paypal connection for me as well.

Everyone is rushing to the site on the remote chance that they might get Tammy and the T-Rex on blu-ray!

(I doubt very much that this is going to happen.)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I finally got through and kind of hesitated at $112AU after shipping for the bundle but gently caress it, Liquid Sky.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I finally got through and kind of hesitated at $112AU after shipping for the bundle but gently caress it, Liquid Sky.

Jesus Christ, why is it so expensive? Are they sending it by rowboat?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Jesus Christ, why is it so expensive? Are they sending it by rowboat?

I got the $70 bundle with the two other Black Friday pre-orders, and international shipping is only $15 (and super quick last time I ordered) - our exchange rate is just lovely at the moment.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I got the $70 bundle with the two other Black Friday pre-orders, and international shipping is only $15 (and super quick last time I ordered) - our exchange rate is just lovely at the moment.

Oh, that's fair then. I thought you meant you paid over a hundred dollars shipping because I'm stupid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: you guys broke Vinegar Syndrome's website

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Ordered my copy of Liquid Sky. $28 shipped. I'll take my chances with the other two titles and see what they actually are on Black Friday. You guys enjoy your blind buys of Prehysteria and Ax 'Em.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Ordered my copy of Liquid Sky. $28 shipped. I'll take my chances with the other two titles and see what they actually are on Black Friday. You guys enjoy your blind buys of Prehysteria and Ax 'Em.

Ax 'Em is Art.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't regret blind buying the last half of 2017, so I'll blind buy all of 2018 come Black Friday :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

I will be perfectly happy with whatever random schlock they send me.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't regret blind buying the last half of 2017, so I'll blind buy all of 2018 come Black Friday :colbert:

Yeah I might do their preorder bundles next year. Those sound like a fun way to get movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films is re-launching their "Olive Signature" line as a series of limited edition releases (3500 each).
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22166

They've already released High Noon, The Quiet Man, Welles' Macbeth, Hannie Caulder, Day of the Grizzly, and Johnny Guitar.

The next two titles coming out are the Cary Grant comedies Operation: Petticoat and Father Goose. Both new restorations, with the latter being 4K from the camera negative.

Olive Films' releases are largely from the Paramount, Republic, and MGM libraries.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Olive is really hit or miss for me. Sometimes they do a fantastic job, other times you get just the movie. Monster Squad is a great example. A great edition fell out of production, they picked it up but it was just the movie and its like $30.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure that was SOV, not shot on film and released DTV.

e: that said if it's seriously Leif Jonker's Darkness and fuckin' Tammy and the T-Rex I'm gonna poo poo bricks

Darkness was actually shot on Super 8, but Jonker was too broke for a proper transfer, so he projected the film onto a white piece of cardboard and recorded it with a consumer grade camcorder and voila, instant VHS master for distribution.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The Olive Signature Johnny Guitar Blu-Ray is an amazing release, and I'm sad to see it'll be going out of print. Anyone who doesn't have a copy yet really should consider it - the transfer alone is worth the price, and the special features make a compelling case for the movie's importance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Olive is really hit or miss for me. Sometimes they do a fantastic job, other times you get just the movie. Monster Squad is a great example. A great edition fell out of production, they picked it up but it was just the movie and its like $30.

Olive is alright, but they really, really depend on the licensor giving them something good to work with. Even then, they're not going to do much other than a basic compression job on a BD-25 in most cases.

However, the Signature releases have been consistently superb. The difference between the original and Signature Johnny Guitar Blu-rays is like night and day. Though, it was a 4K restoration from Paramount and they only did the authoring and extras. Same thing for High Noon and Macbeth. They're not going to be doing in-house 4Ks like Criterion, Arrow, and Shout! are. The Quiet Man was the same transfer, but they did an incredible job on compression for the Signature edition while the original was a bit messy.

Still, I went ahead and ordered The Quiet Man since it's $21 on Amazon right now. On the fence about High Noon since I don't recall being that enamored with it, but Johnny Guitar and Macbeth are awesome releases.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV code for Starship Troopers (1997). Please post if you take it so other don't bother: TAKEN.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 29, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Starship Troopers (1997). Please post if you take it so other don't bother: 3MS4 QKQM UNDN V2S3.

Thanks! Love this movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

As expected, Mill Creek's snipe of a Night of the Living Dead release is garbage:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/185970/#Screenshots

The title card is out of focus.

(Criterion is touring a new 4K restoration off the camera negative)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 30, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout's January releases

Dance Macabre
Piranha II: The Spawning
Cyborg
Eye of the Cat
Shakedown

Cyborg is a must buy for me.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 30, 2017

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
funny how i got laughed at for requesting a blu ray thread tag four years ago but you have one now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Professor Clumsy posted:

funny how i got laughed at for requesting a blu ray thread tag four years ago but you have one now

Truly time truly does keep on slippin into the future

• Locked thread