Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Natalie Portman is aging into looking like Madeline Stowe and I am into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

well it's written and directed by the ex-machina guy which is pretty much all I need to hear. plus oscar isaac. enough for me.

Oh nice I didn't realize he adapted it... I only thought he directed it. That should be interesting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like Garland's stuff OK but they all tend to be relatively shallow takes on old-hat sci-fi ideas. I guess this is his Tarkovsky riff

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

I like Garland's stuff OK but they all tend to be relatively shallow takes on old-hat sci-fi ideas. I guess this is his Tarkovsky riff

He only adapted a book. It's not his own story.
And it's a really cool loving story. Not as straight forward or cheesy as the abstract might suggest.

But yeah that's kind of how I felt about Ex Machina.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't see him listed on the movies IMDB page but it would be pretty tight if Benedict Wong's character was Control.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
That teaser makes it seem like it has parts from Authority in it as well, so I'm wondering if they expanded it. Apparently there are no plans for sequels.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

muscles like this! posted:

I don't see him listed on the movies IMDB page but it would be pretty tight if Benedict Wong's character was Control.

Yeah I got that sense to because I don't remember anybody interviewing her after the fact... we end with her still in Area X right? Thinking she might row up the coast? All of Biologist's interview stuff is in Authority I think.

Could be getting my books crossed.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Danger posted:

That teaser makes it seem like it has parts from Authority in it as well, so I'm wondering if they expanded it. Apparently there are no plans for sequels.

Haha that's somewhat surprising but I'm sure if it does well enough they'll try. Book spoilers:

The first two were great, I thought the third was kind of a wet fart. We get a fairly direct if unelaborated explanation for what's basically happening don't we? (alien terraforming machine, possibly malfunctioning). Was it ever clear what was going on with that secret society/what the CIA's involvement was in the first place

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I got that sense to because I don't remember anybody interviewing her after the fact... we end with her still in Area X right? Thinking she might row up the coast? All of Biologist's interview stuff is in Authority I think.

Could be getting my books crossed.

Yeah, the first book ends with the Biologist getting on the boat hoping to see her husband on the island. The interview stuff is all from Authority where Control talks to Ghost Bird. Although it's been a while since I read that one and I can't remember if they had a part where someone else talked to her first.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

porfiria posted:

Haha that's somewhat surprising but I'm sure if it does well enough they'll try. Book spoilers:

The first two were great, I thought the third was kind of a wet fart. We get a fairly direct if unelaborated explanation for what's basically happening don't we? (alien terraforming machine, possibly malfunctioning). Was it ever clear what was going on with that secret society/what the CIA's involvement was in the first place

I never fully understood what was going on with the society people and how it related to the Southern Reach stuff, but honestly that made it creepier for me. Like there was some sinister connection that should be making itself apparent but remained hidden. The terraforming explanation was almost ancillary, like blink and you'd miss it. The actual event in the book is chilling though as it is happening. But yea I agree that the third was the weekest. Authority was the best of them.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SzWAfsdZXY

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

:stare:

Holy poo poo, this convinced me to go pick up a copy at my local bookstore tomorrow.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

viral spiral posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo, this convinced me to go pick up a copy at my local bookstore tomorrow.

I was planning on getting a few things today from there anyways, so I grabbed a copy as well. Way shorter than I was expecting

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If I had just heard they were making this into a movie I'd be really skeptical it would ever work, but that trailer sold me pretty good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I have heard positive things about this movie, but that trailer is rubbish.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been checking for an Annihilation trailer every few days since I finished the books about 9 months ago. It's here, and it has delivered. Amazing books, and the movie is looking good.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Glazier posted:

This reminds me of an SCP, but quick question before I read these, do they ever give a full explanation of what's happening? No spoilers necessary, I just don't care for ambiguous endings. 😐

You get a pretty drat good idea of what's going on but a "full explanation" isn't really the point, nor will you really want it by the time you're done. Thematically and narratively it all comes together beautifully and sticks the landing, which is all that I personally ever wanted from the trilogy. But a Lost-style exposition dump in the home stretch of the last book? That doesn't happen.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Clap posted:

You get a pretty drat good idea of what's going on but a "full explanation" isn't really the point, nor will you really want it by the time you're done. Thematically and narratively it all comes together beautifully and sticks the landing, which is all that I personally ever wanted from the trilogy. But a Lost-style exposition dump in the home stretch of the last book? That doesn't happen.

Actually Lost was exactly what thinking about so that gives me confidence! I probably should have used more precise wording, what I hate is the building up of mystery in a seeming coherent way only for it to be "explained" by events or agents who were obviously inserted in the narrative when the authors released the story got out of control. Like don't introduce a central character and then 10 chapters later go, "Oh they didn't really matter here's a new guy and he'll explain everything and forget about the other guy."

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 28, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Annihilation trailer just makes me want more exploration/expeditionary sci-fi, a la the first act of Alien or even that part in Arrival where they go into the spaceship.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GrandpaPants posted:

The Annihilation trailer just makes me want more exploration/expeditionary sci-fi, a la the first act of Alien or even that part in Arrival where they go into the spaceship.

Annihilation is basically that plus a healthy dose of "I think I'm going loving insane."

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Glazier posted:

Actually Lost was exactly what thinking about so that gives me confidence! I probably should have used more precise wording, what I hate is the building up of mystery in a seeming coherent way only for it to be "explained" by events or agents who were obviously inserted in the narrative when the authors released the story got out of control. Like don't introduce a central character and then 10 chapters later go, "Oh they didn't really matter here's a new guy and he'll explain everything and forget about the other guy."

There is a specific explanation offered, but it's offered in a single paragraph that is very figurative late in the third book. Reading discussion on the book, it appears most people completely missed what it was saying.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BonoMan posted:

Annihilation is basically that plus a healthy dose of "I think I'm going loving insane."

I loved Arrival so gat dang

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Glazier posted:

If anything, it's the opposite of that. Everything circles back to the beginning so hard you get whiplash.

I'm frankly amazed they're doing this. I couldn't even really imagine filming the first book, but it looks like they've cranked up the visual effects on it. One of the frustrating things about the series is that there's very little visually spectacular going on, except for the crawler which is so visually spectacular that's literally unfilmable. Everything else is just animals, plants and landscapes with all these weirdly articulated feelings of something terrible inside of you or in the landscape or the light, the goddamn "terroir". It's amazing how well they've managed to translate that into images, judging by the trailer at least. The oil film sheen on the barrier is a great touch, for instance.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Because of the trailer I bought the book yesterday and its great. I only have like 20 pages left, its a really quick read.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shanty posted:

If anything, it's the opposite of that. Everything circles back to the beginning so hard you get whiplash.

I'm frankly amazed they're doing this. I couldn't even really imagine filming the first book, but it looks like they've cranked up the visual effects on it. One of the frustrating things about the series is that there's very little visually spectacular going on, except for the crawler which is so visually spectacular that's literally unfilmable. Everything else is just animals, plants and landscapes with all these weirdly articulated feelings of something terrible inside of you or in the landscape or the light, the goddamn "terroir". It's amazing how well they've managed to translate that into images, judging by the trailer at least. The oil film sheen on the barrier is a great touch, for instance.

Cool! I am onboard!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's kind of jarring for me because I really love the books and was totally down with how Area X is described as seemingly a normal-looking wilderness, but with these Lovecraftian feelings of indescribable dread and unease permeating everything. Of course, barring lovely voice overs, you can't really be in a character's head in a film so I understand having to change that into a visual thing. It's a big shift from the books, but if they get the tone right I think it's going to be rad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The "critical acclaim" trailer for American Vandal is great for the quotes they use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZT81ZpbUk

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The MSJ posted:

The "critical acclaim" trailer for American Vandal is great for the quotes they use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZT81ZpbUk

Confirming that American Vandal is loving terrific and you should all plan a night or two around it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That trailer took me to another show from Nick Kroll that has talking underage genitals.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

That trailer took me to another show from Nick Kroll that has talking underage genitals.

This one? Yeah, it's weird. And it has way too much swearing for you to pass it off as educational. I haven't seen it myself, though, so I cannot speak for its quality in other aspects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTC7wQMHHEA&t=15s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just kind of gross. Like maybe if they were kids doing the voices and it was done by smarter people then maybe it could work. But it just feels kinda icky since they're all super young and I didn't need need that animated kid vagina at the end.

Plus the designs are horrific.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The semi-mystical unexplainable outer forcing slowling transforming reality into a nightmare surrealism is reminiscent of his books (JG BALLARD), from The Crystal World to Rushing to Paradise

Should have said JG Ballard instead of mangling his name, might have made that clearer.

edit: Ppl in the TVIV thread are saying good things about the Nick Kroll show, Big Mouth, but I haven't seen it YMMV.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 3, 2017

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFM0UqX9MJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qCqrODw1nM

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

They really should have put the "DIRECTED BY McG" in smaller text. with 10% opacity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

More bad poo poo from Netflix.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

They really should have put the "DIRECTED BY McG" in smaller text. with 10% opacity.

Yeah I was like "okay this sounds like it could be pretty good" when I was reading the description, then I saw that and actually watched the trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

More bad poo poo from Netflix.

Netflix produces a lot of good poo poo though?

Anyway I love Netflix's official description: "Netflix presents: human sacrifice with hot people. "

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Stranger Things with time travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2k1u6eZuI

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BonoMan posted:

Netflix produces a lot of good poo poo though?
But also bad poo poo, and this is more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Im totally down with this. Bobby and Paulie back together?

• Locked thread