Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The expression on 8 is drat near perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

docbeard posted:

The expression on 8 is drat near perfect.

So perfect, they used it four other times!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Blind box, no War Doctor. No thanks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And poor 13 sinks back into obscurity once again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuZk-5vaxUk
*cackling*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hello new, horrible avatar

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ah, Doctoful Boyfriend.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, Doctoful Boyfriend.
It's not a true dating game until the Master appears in it

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Vinylshadow posted:

It's not a true dating game until the Master appears in it

Step away from the console, Master-kun. You're too tsundere to drive.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Murderion posted:

Step away from the console, Master-kun. You're too tsundere to drive.

Get a move on, slow coach

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Get a move on, slow coach

Ahahahaha

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

These Really make you realize which Doctors' faces are nose-dominated. Three and Four suffer the most.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

12 suffers from diminished eyebrows. I guess there's no way to make accurate eyebrows kawaii.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

where is john hurt

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
never forget john hurt

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 26, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

corn in the bible posted:

where is john hurt

Dude is going to be sidelined forever, unfortunately. :sigh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

12 suffers from diminished eyebrows. I guess there's no way to make accurate eyebrows kawaii.

What kind of person doesn't find big fluffy murderous Scottish eyebrows kawaii?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

where is john hurt

His figure ate something that didn't agree with him early in development.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Bicyclops posted:

His figure ate something that didn't agree with him early in development.

Oh no, not again!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are some really great stories during the Troughton era, but boy howdy is The Space Pirates not one of them.. What the hell is Gordon Gostelow trying to do? It's like Yosemite Sam and Miss Gulch had a child who learned to talk entirely from watching Vaudeville. Donald Gee sounds like the American executives in that Monty Python routine about "idears," and he looks too much like a gangly teenager to be the serious military man we're supposed to believe him to be. I'm actually trying to follow the story this time around and I can't figure out what the hell is going on or how the Doctor and crew are even involved. I don't even know who this lady with the dome hat is, but all of a sudden she started speaking extra dramatically and walked straight toward the camera while staring into it. Absolutely bizarre choices, from scene to scene.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

There are some really great stories during the Troughton era, but boy howdy is The Space Pirates not one of them.. What the hell is Gordon Gostelow trying to do? It's like Yosemite Sam and Miss Gulch had a child who learned to talk entirely from watching Vaudeville. Donald Gee sounds like the American executives in that Monty Python routine about "idears," and he looks too much like a gangly teenager to be the serious military man we're supposed to believe him to be. I'm actually trying to follow the story this time around and I can't figure out what the hell is going on or how the Doctor and crew are even involved. I don't even know who this lady with the dome hat is, but all of a sudden she started speaking extra dramatically and walked straight toward the camera while staring into it. Absolutely bizarre choices, from scene to scene.

I think I actually have to seek this out now. I'm always looking for more Minuet In Hell-calibre Who to bring quality to my life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

I think I actually have to seek this out now. I'm always looking for more Minuet In Hell-calibre Who to bring quality to my life.

Only the second episode still exists at present, and if you're going to watch one episode of it, stick with that one, because the way everyone chooses to move is so weird. At least two of the actors look like they're in a school play and keep nervously looking away from the audience.

I'm going to have to read the Wikipedia summary afterward, it defies trying to follow the plot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When you consider Robert Holmes first two stories for Doctor Who were The Krotons (which I don't mind that much) and The Space Pirates, it's kinda amazing that he actually kept getting work AND that he ended up being so instrumental in some of the best ever episodes of Classic Who as well as arguably its most sustained period of excellence and popularity.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Krotons has one of my favourite unintentional comedy sequences in Doctor Who (the one where the Krotons learn how to recognise Gonds*)

*Alright, alright, you win. I see you've played Gondy-Jamie before

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think The Krotons also has that great section where the Doctor sits the intelligence test to try and save Zoe, who is having the time of her life taunting him because he's distracted and not doing quite as well in the test as she did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jerusalem posted:

I think The Krotons also has that great section where the Doctor sits the intelligence test to try and save Zoe, who is having the time of her life taunting him because he's distracted and not doing quite as well in the test as she did.

"Go away, don't fuss me, no wait, come back, what's this, no, it's all right, I know"

I love the Second Doctor so much.

e: heehee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_iVCO2PStE

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Krotons is sort of the quintessential classic Who in that it feels silly enough that it's hard for me to say that it's good, but it's just so loving enjoyable that I absolutely love it. Like,

Jerusalem posted:

When you consider Robert Holmes first two stories for Doctor Who were The Krotons (which I don't mind that much) and The Space Pirates, it's kinda amazing that he actually kept getting work AND that he ended up being so instrumental in some of the best ever episodes of Classic Who as well as arguably its most sustained period of excellence and popularity.

this summarizes it pretty well. On the one hand, these are the two serials that Holmes started on? But if I stop and think about it, I can't say that about just The Krotons. If nothing else, it has a place in my heart for letting Zoe actually do the thing she was created for, which is to be brainy but let her intellectual curiosity cum naivety get her in trouble. The Krotons are probably meant to be scary, and I get that they're technically supposed to be "crystal organisms," but they come off so perfectly as doofy, clunky, robots, whose programming is just faulty enough to make hugely comical but catastrophic mistakes. It feels more like they were designed by someone with a self-powering algorithm that went wrong and overrode whatever their initial purpose was, so they stumble around in their little room, accidentally creating a pointless dystopia with their stentorian robo-voices. The serious moments are unintentional comedy in the best way, one that allows for you both to enjoy them while still appreciating their intentions.

And yeah, watching Two get more and more upset as he gets distracted during the Kroton GRE test (while Zoe looks over his shoulder like some disappointed Princeton Review tutor,) is hilarious, particularly because the way he gets into it is to heroically volunteer for the test so that Zoe won't have to go in alone.

It's very definitely not one of the best Two serials, but it's also very, very definitely one of my favorites.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also the entire serial, it sounds like people are talking about an alien salad whose bread cubes have asserted a god-like authority over society.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

"Go away, don't fuss me, no wait, come back, what's this, no, it's all right, I know"

I love the Second Doctor so much.

e: heehee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_iVCO2PStE
I watched the whole series years and years ago, back when Tennant was the latest doctor. I've seen a few clips of the 2nd doctor since then, but not that much.

Holy poo poo I did not realize just how much Matt Smith was challenging Troughton.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That tiny little girl standing next to Troughton in that picture grew up to be Matt Smith's agent when he was cast as the 11th Doctor :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

That tiny little girl standing next to Troughton in that picture grew up to be Matt Smith's agent when he was cast as the 11th Doctor :)

And a mouthy Australian became Paul McGann's agent when he was cast as the 8th!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wendy Padbury is just great. She was also the agent for Colin Baker and Mark Strickson (and Nicholas Courtney, I guess, although obviously she didn't discover him). Her interviews are all about how she refuses to scream when people ask and how it makes interviewers uncomfortable, about how she, Patrick and Frazer goofed off on set so much that they lost a lot of takes to laughter (there was a scene where she had to talk about how big a rocket was that she couldn't look Patrick in the eyes or she'd crack up). I guess they offered for the two of them to keep going with Three, but they decided it would be nice to leave with Patrick Troughton.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

88 days left in the Capaldi era.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CommonShore posted:

88 days left in the Capaldi era.

Man, I've never been as depressed for Christmas before you put like that. Nothing against Whittaker, but seeing Capaldi go is going to be a bit sad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

I guess they offered for the two of them to keep going with Three, but they decided it would be nice to leave with Patrick Troughton.

Man, I would love to have seen that! Jamie and Zoe continuing on with 3 and UNIT in color on Earth! :allears:

Since they've pretty much done every wish list idea I've had in the past few years, there is only one left I can think of for Big Finish--I'd love to see some Unbounds with Mixed Doctors and Companions. I think I've mentioned this here before. Basically you take some cliffhanger and the Doctor dies unexpectedly, regenerates, and the old companions stay on. Bonus points if they coulld redo an actual tv episode (would be a rights nightmare but if you get the original writer to do the audio...).

Imagine we're in the middle of some classic tv story, and the Doctor is in peril. But instead of getting out of it as he did--he dies. And now the NEXT Doctor has to finish the serial, with Companions we never saw him wtih on tv. So 4 dies early and 5 ends up with Leela--or a Romana.1 regenerates and Susan has to explain who this tramp looking fellow is to Ian and Barbara. How would the dynamic be if old Sixie was dealing with Nyssa, Tegan, and Adric?

You also would have a different Doctor (in the throes of post-Regeneration) possibly reacting very differently to the story than we saw. After that you could even do a few more with new stories.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's an interesting idea, definitely. I'd love to hear the adventures of Six and Jo Grant, Seven and Leela, or Eight and Ace. They'd have to find the right stories for them, of course, and get lucky with the rights. I think an Unbound line would be about the length for it, because too many of them would wear it out fast.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

Man, I would love to have seen that! Jamie and Zoe continuing on with 3 and UNIT in color on Earth! :allears:

Since they've pretty much done every wish list idea I've had in the past few years, there is only one left I can think of for Big Finish--I'd love to see some Unbounds with Mixed Doctors and Companions. I think I've mentioned this here before. Basically you take some cliffhanger and the Doctor dies unexpectedly, regenerates, and the old companions stay on. Bonus points if they coulld redo an actual tv episode (would be a rights nightmare but if you get the original writer to do the audio...).

Imagine we're in the middle of some classic tv story, and the Doctor is in peril. But instead of getting out of it as he did--he dies. And now the NEXT Doctor has to finish the serial, with Companions we never saw him wtih on tv. So 4 dies early and 5 ends up with Leela--or a Romana.1 regenerates and Susan has to explain who this tramp looking fellow is to Ian and Barbara. How would the dynamic be if old Sixie was dealing with Nyssa, Tegan, and Adric?

You also would have a different Doctor (in the throes of post-Regeneration) possibly reacting very differently to the story than we saw. After that you could even do a few more with new stories.

BF did a three audios which had 7 with Jo, 6 with Jamie & Zoe, and 5 with Steven & Vicki.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

BF did a three audios which had 7 with Jo, 6 with Jamie & Zoe, and 5 with Steven & Vicki.

:wth:

I need to get back to my Big Finish listening, clearly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On a rewatch, the more subtle way of portraying the Time Lords as xenophobic, detached traditionalists in The War Games is unquestionably the better way to do it, and the Silly Hats Cartoonish Moron Squad of literally every other depiction of them afterward is just regrettable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's so remarkable how out of the park the War Games does it.

They're not just some group of people with time machines, they're these godlike things that even the Doctor fears and dreads

Turns out no they're just really rather rubbish and boring and the Doctor can just yell at them until they give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Did... did they lose their microphones when they went to color? I'm only like ten minutes into Spearhead from Space, but it feels like the whole thing was filmed in a gymnasium with a huge echo.

• Locked thread