Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd be more for FF15 developments if it seemed like they were adding all the stuff missing from the second half of the game instead of a bunch of random bits no one really asked for.

They're testing out ideas that'll become common place in Final Fantasy and other SE games, such multiplayer and live service updates. The company's biggest success has come from MMOs and mobile games where consumers are engaged with a service for years.

Working on FFXV post launch also means that Tabata's team doesn't get press ganged into working on the FF7 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mega64 posted:

I love Final Fantasy Jump Rope Simulator. I even like it more than Final Fantasy Water Polo and Final Fantasy The Trading Card Game.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can possibly do that minigame without some kind of assistance, it makes lightning dodging look trivial.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Playing Tactics on break, I now know the early-game horror of two chocobos murdering one of my better guys before running off to the far corner of the map and healing each other.

chocobos are the hardest enemy in the game if you grind mindlessly, so make sure you don't do that

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Pitioss was cool but man am I glad it's over with. 3.5 hours, ugh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

They're testing out ideas that'll become common place in Final Fantasy and other SE games, such multiplayer and live service updates. The company's biggest success has come from MMOs and mobile games where consumers are engaged with a service for years.

Working on FFXV post launch also means that Tabata's team doesn't get press ganged into working on the FF7 remake.

Good God, we'd never hear from them again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sunning posted:

This makes so much more sense

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Final Fantasy 15 Tenth Anniversary Update:

Added the finale to the "Noctus Tries Dip Netting" questline.
2 new outfits! Aya Brea throwback costume for Aranea and a fig leaf for Gladious.
Added secret instructions on how to send food and water to the hidden Dev Bunker. Please help we're running low on supplies.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sunning posted:

I like to imagine this is work everyday at FFXV office, replace weekend with FF7r
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9eSOMWRmAw

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I honestly don't understand how anyone can possibly do that minigame without some kind of assistance, it makes lightning dodging look trivial.

Being a goony teenager makes anything possible. Looking back I'm not sure how I got all the celestial weapons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FFXII Zodiac Age is 30% off for PS+ members until Oct 3 right now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

seiferguy posted:

FFXII Zodiac Age is 30% off for PS+ members until Oct 3 right now.

Dilemma tbh. Do I want it cheap or do I want a physical copy...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

esperterra posted:

Dilemma tbh. Do I want it cheap or do I want a physical copy...

Discount puts it at $45.49 in Canada and Amazon has the physical for $49.99. Not an enormous difference if you really want the physical copy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BGrifter posted:

Discount puts it at $45.49 in Canada and Amazon has the physical for $49.99. Not an enormous difference if you really want the physical copy.

Yeah, I think I'll just go physical in that case. Might even wait a little, still have the XV DLC to burn through and I've been thinking about finally finishing XIII.

Bet if I give it a few weeks, I can pick it up used at an EB anyway.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so did they actually get around to fixing the flaws with the base game or do you have to buy dlc for that?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Any gameplay and story stuff has all been free. Paid DLC is just the character episodes and upcoming multiplayer/World of Ruin expansion.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The upper section of the great crystal sucks but I found a good map and guide for getting all the best loot and spells.

The fight with Ultima was unfun bullshit but I got it first try by using a dark mote to finish it off.

Definitely not going for platinum on this. I just want to finish the story and move on to another FF. Still trying to decide which one. I want to replay FF13 and FFT but I never played 9 and it looks cool and fun.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Did they end up patching out that way to instakill Adamantoise with the ring in XV? I fought that thing way back when the game first came out and had it down to like 25% and its stupid head swipe knocked me out of the battle range so if that's still in the game I think I want to finally get revenge. I don't have the willpower to sit there smacking it for an hour again.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Did they end up patching out that way to instakill Adamantoise with the ring in XV? I fought that thing way back when the game first came out and had it down to like 25% and its stupid head swipe knocked me out of the battle range so if that's still in the game I think I want to finally get revenge. I don't have the willpower to sit there smacking it for an hour again.

Don't know about the ring, but eat some food that gives you a crit on every strike, add all the strength up equipment you have, equip daggers and go to town. Should take 5-10 minutes to take him down.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Four hours in and I just do not understand the battle system for XV. Am I supposed to be doing anything other than holding one of the shoulder buttons to lock-on and mash square? How do I know if I'm hitting or missing? How do I target spells without killing my teammates? What does blink dashing around do? What can I do when I'm hanging from a post or whatever?

I did the combat tutorial and yeah I get the basic mechanics but there's no discussion of overall strategy or theory or coordination.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

xarph posted:

Four hours in and I just do not understand the battle system for XV. Am I supposed to be doing anything other than holding one of the shoulder buttons to lock-on and mash square? How do I know if I'm hitting or missing? How do I target spells without killing my teammates? What does blink dashing around do? What can I do when I'm hanging from a post or whatever?

I did the combat tutorial and yeah I get the basic mechanics but there's no discussion of overall strategy or theory or coordination.

You hold the buttons to attack and dodge. If you see the square button flashing, just hold it. Don't tap it. Think of it as switching between offensive and defensive modes. Warping is, well, warping; you pick your target and go hit it. When you hang from a post it regens your MP or to just get away from being wailed on. You can't do anything to prevent magic from hitting your guys.

I found that for me, putting the combat on wait mode helped a great deal. Much easier to plan what enemy I want to hit next, and pick the right time to throw a spell flask. Otherwise it just felt like complete and utter chaos to me.

I also found that expanding on your buddies abilities gave me more of a feeling of control on the field, and more options(i.e. Prompto Gravguns mobs into a bundle which I then toss a flask into)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xarph posted:

Its not really that smart. You're overthinking things.

Its a beat em up where sometimes you teleport around. Magic is awkward. Summons are awkward. There's little strategy.

Warp to a point to regain energy then warp to dudes and smash on them more. Warp a lot between dudes to combo and poo poo, you'll get bonuses to warping and comboing eventually.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This is a pretty good primer overview that also links to other videos with some more complex things you can do (weapon switching between strikes, etc.) but it's not that complicated. I tended to go for a lot of warp strikes and back strikes to initiate link attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCXem4OPj4

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Try to attack enemies from behind for bonus damage. Do the same with a buddy close-by for a team attack, which does ludicrous damage.

Attacks made directly after a dodge have different properties. Similarly, pressing different directions change the equipped weapon's attacks.

Some weapons have special attacks if you attack, pause a beat, then attack. The giant swords have a fantastic 360 swing, for example.

Unlock the ability to dodge several times in the air. This increases your mobility and is fun as hell. If you attack the enemy you reset the dodge counter so you can stay up for a long time.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 28, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

mandatory lesbian posted:

chocobos are the hardest enemy in the game if you grind mindlessly, so make sure you don't do that
Is grinding a bad idea then? I just wanted to farm a little JP to get the Squire's boost and movement bonus on everyone.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bad Seafood posted:

Is grinding a bad idea then? I just wanted to farm a little JP to get the Squire's boost and movement bonus on everyone.

This is the way!

(If you haven't gotten to Propositions yet then this won't make sense but yes get Move+1 and JP Up on everyone in Chapter 1.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bad Seafood posted:

Grinding for skills is fine, just don't go overboard with your level. Monster stats are all level based, while most of yours will be gear based. Monsters are tough because their level will go up, but your gear stays the same. Even then, unless you're just grinding Squires or Archers or other dumb poo poo, your new skills should be more than enough to deal with the level handicap. Just don't go like 20+ levels higher than story battles. 20 might even be on the safe side, because I'd usually grind an absurd amount to get end-game jobs and builds mastered ASAP, and still just one-shot most levelled encounters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bad Seafood posted:

Grinding makes random encounters much harder since they scale but story missions easier since they don't.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also don't random encounters scale off the highest leveled person in your entire roster? Meaning if you have like a level 30 Ramza and level 15 everyone else your enemies will all be 30 and destroy your other dudes?

Meaning if you are gonna grind, you can mitigate this somewhat by not using the same person (Ramza, usually) in every single random battle to keep the parity in your main team's levels.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Also don't random encounters scale off the highest leveled person in your entire roster? Meaning if you have like a level 30 Ramza and level 15 everyone else your enemies will all be 30 and destroy your other dudes?

Yes. This would be changed in FFTA to work off the average level.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Meaning if you are gonna grind, you can mitigate this somewhat by not using the same person (Ramza, usually) in every single random battle to keep the parity in your main team's levels.

You can also de-level your guys if you overlevel them while grinding JP.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If you really want to min/max about grinding JP but not gaining levels, follow these easy steps:
1. Unlock the "frog" skill for a black mage
2. Have the monk skill "Chakra" on at least one character
3. Hire a level 1 unit
4. Get in a random battle and frog one enemy while killing the rest
5. Gather the dudes you want to grind around your level 1 character and repeatedly hit them with weak stuff like throw stone and chakra.
5b. make sure the level 1 character doesn't do anything.

Voila, lots of JP with virtually no levels. The EXP you earn per action is based on the highest-level unit affected by that action (so try to avoid having your monk get damaged so chakra doesn't heal themself) while JP are based purely on the job level for that character. If your JP grinding characters are level 10, they'll gain a mere 1 xp per action against the level 1 unit.

It's horrible and tedious! And like the only way to get anywhere in bullshit difficulty hacks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

everyone else got to this, so i'll just say that what you're doing here is fine, you just wanna watch out if you decide you wanna gain a bunch of levels at some point

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bad Seafood posted:

Its not a bad idea but don't over-do it. There's so much poo poo its easy to create this 10 step job plan for all your guys and spend 20 hours grinding all the levels and then never actually play the real game. Or over-level everything and make it all trivial.

If you plan your dudes you can mostly level them up as you do the mandatory battles and you'll be at a pretty good difficulty curve.

Keep some backup saves though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Trip report: if anyone is wondering, yes, Ring of the Lucii does indeed work on Adamantoise. Alterna one-shot him, took 10 seconds lol.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

they patched it in

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

make sure to grind in fft so that you can feel like your time has been extra-wasted when you get the special plot characters

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i don't know what kind of scrub would use orlandu over their summoner/orator named after themselves, or the knight/monk named after their bff

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's amazing how Orlandu is busted yet still not in the Top 5, hell, Top 10 ways to break the game wide open.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They added some more story to FFXV. Heavy spoilers ahead! I hope you enjoy Japanese melodrama (I sure do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEu3zVv5QM

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

do we have any idea when they're gonna be done adding stuff to xv

i wanna get around to playing it but i also want to wait for them to finally be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
2018, most likely.