Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The eventual champ's wager was pretty atrocious, too. Why wager more than a dollar? Or anything at all and just go to the tiebreaker if the other guy doubles up?

And still mad about Scrooge. They all call him "Uncle!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Many cultures don't linguistically distinguish between "nephew" and "great nephew" so yeah, that question was Eurocentric As Duck

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
bad wagering in final last night

going into final the scores are 8400 and 21200 and 15400

so obviously the leader should wager 9601 to ensure she wins even if the guy in second place doubles.

she wagered 7000 and won with 29200

he wagered 5801 and came in second with 21201

He would have won if he had wagered enough to double his money.

The woman who won just got lucky she won even using suboptimal wagering strategy

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The next Jeopardy ToC is currently in the can, according to a bunch of Jeopardy alums who made the trip out to compete or be in the audience, like this is a regular thing.

Apparently they taped the quarterfinals on Monday and the semis and finals on Tuesday instead of their usual Tuesday/Wedensday tape dates, moving them up due to the Jewish holidays the rest of the week, according to former College Champion (and Final Wager betting strategy proprietor, current NYT columnist) Keith Williams, who apparently didn't make the trip out but spoke with a bunch who did. No info on who won, so I guess we'll see when the episodes air, likely for November sweeps?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 20, 2017

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Is there another app that lets you keep score while watching Jeopardy? I used Trivia Tracker but they didn't update for iOS11.

Yes, I know, calculator, but this was a lot easier and faster.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Confirmed by last year's Teachers Tournament winner and ToC participant on Facebook, this year's ToC will air the week of Election Day, the first full week of November.

And it's supposed to be a really good one according to former Jeopardy contestants who were in the audience (and have been to a bunch of ToCs), so get hype.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
please don't post insider information from people who are illegally disclosing their foreknowledge

do audience members sign NDs too?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

please don't post insider information from people who are illegally disclosing their foreknowledge

I don't believe so.

Still, saying that it's going to be a good ToC or talking about airdates isn't exactly Illegally releasing insider information; I have no idea what will happen during said tournament and won't until it airs.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Breaching a contract isn't illegal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Haha look at the noob

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
The audience doesn't sign anything. They're asked nicely to not say anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Unfortunately for the staff of Jeopardy!, "What is a nondisclosure agreement?" isn't legally binding.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Also, just occurred to me that Thursday's Final Jeopardy clue on Len Wein and Wolverine was kinda timely, since he just passed a couple weeks ago. The show was apparently taped back in August and is just airing now, but that's a helluva coincidence. His wife is also a former contestant and he was apparently very active in Learned League, which is chock full of Jeopardy alums, so that adds even more serendipity, I guess. One of the runner ups of last season's Teachers Tournament knew him professionally as well, which I only found out through a condolence posted on FB.

My former Artist Alley boss at New York Comic Con and current boss of C2E2, the Chicago equivalent of NYCC run by the same company, ReedPop, was also friends with the guy, and through him, I saw a bunch of condolences from industry types on my Facebook.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

Unfortunately for the staff of Jeopardy!, "What is a nondisclosure agreement?" isn't legally binding.

yeah but you can bet if you break it you'll be blackballed from all other game show audiences

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Keep doubling down. It's entertaining.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if you don't stop cyberbullying me my fist is gonna double down on your face

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if you don't stop cyberbullying me my fist is gonna double down on your face

Let's keep it constructive. How about you propose how they would track down an audience member leak.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if anything from a game is leaked, everyone who was in that audience has to do 50 push-ups

Full Metal Jacket style punishment

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if anything from a game is leaked, everyone who was in that audience has to do 50 push-ups

Full Metal Jacket style punishment

You know...that's not a bad idea. I'm starting to like you.

I would have gone full-tilt sadistic and asked for a number of pushups = to the winner's cash total.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
NFL category tonight

of course none of the nerds got any right

the female even thought the Colorado Rockies were a football team lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
losing because you didn't bet enough to cover 2nd place is shameful

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Alex was so fascinated by talking to a blue collar person.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

NFL category tonight

of course none of the nerds got any right
I laughed when Dennis looked over at Ivan during some of the football questions like "Nah? Nah."

my dude,

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Soothing Vapors posted:

losing because you didn't bet enough to cover 2nd place is shameful

I'm pretty sure the guy did the same thing on Friday, but he lucked out when 2nd place only bet a portion of her amount.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that showing in the nfl category was loving pathetic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
True Americans don't like the NFL now. Good for them!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

bad wagering in final last night

going into final the scores are 8400 and 21200 and 15400

so obviously the leader should wager 9601 to ensure she wins even if the guy in second place doubles.

she wagered 7000 and won with 29200

he wagered 5801 and came in second with 21201

He would have won if he had wagered enough to double his money.

The woman who won just got lucky she won even using suboptimal wagering strategy

Same with Thursday's game. Only two people still in the game, you know the the second-place player is going to try to double, why wouldn't you wager to cover that difference?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
is tonight's champ the guy the commercials promised us was the new Matt Jackson? because i hate him about as much as I hated Matt (at first)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"Is it formic acid?"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What was the deal with Jennie? During the interview segment she said used to be a management consultant, but then she had an accident so she couldn't do that anymore, so she became an actor instead.

So what accident could make you incapable of consulting but still capable of acting? There's something's odd about her story, Was her accident caused by her poor consulting?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

is tonight's champ the guy the commercials promised us was the new Matt Jackson? because i hate him about as much as I hated Matt (at first)

impossible. Matt Jackson owned this guys a huge shithead

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Real lot of (virtual) ink spilled over the Monday game, and I don't blame people for it.

The obligatory Deadspin article about the living up to stereotype failure of the contestants at the NFL category got a lot of angry banter on Facebook, but apparently Anupama owned up to a former contestant (I forget who) about the brain fart she had at the end of the (mercifully cut short) category, saying that she knew her answer was wrong as soon as she said it and she should've kept clam instead. Oh well. A couple of formal contestants called Deadspin out on peanut gallery criticism on the category, but a bunch of others said it was a fair cop instead and they wouldn't have been able to get those clues tight either. Or Deadspin commentators owning up to the fact that they wouldn't have the breadth of knowledge to do Jeopardy either despite knowing this category. Whatever, it got to the point where commentating had to be turned off on the link to the article posted in our Facebook group (to cut down on the back and forth and due to the informal "we shouldn't criticize the play of other contestants in this group" rule we have).

Didn't stop previous ToC participant Vaughn Winchell and others from mentioning the poor Final Jeopardy wager from Ivan preventing him from repeating as champion in the Jeopardy page comments though. Dunno what the hell happened there.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

impossible. Matt Jackson owned this guys a huge shithead
yeah

it took me 4-5 episodes to realize Matt was the greatest human being who has ever lived

4-5 episodes of Austin and I'm probably going to kill myself

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ein cooler Typ posted:

What was the deal with Jennie? During the interview segment she said used to be a management consultant, but then she had an accident so she couldn't do that anymore, so she became an actor instead.

So what accident could make you incapable of consulting but still capable of acting? There's something's odd about her story, Was her accident caused by her poor consulting?
No clue about her, but anything that makes you keep weird hours, have a lot of doctors' appointments, nap when you need to nap, not sit still for 8 hours, have trouble with long-term memory or other brain issues, etc.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Austin may be the most enjoyable champ ever, y'all are dumb and hate personalities.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

due to the informal "we shouldn't criticize the play of other contestants in this group" rule we have).

This is ridiculous.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That guy's OK, but lol at "Dirk Bentley".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Croatoan posted:

Austin may be the most enjoyable champ ever, y'all are dumb and hate personalities.

I would walk out of any bar that had a dipshit like him working the bar.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Croatoan posted:

please do not troll the jeopardy thread, thanks to you in advance

Timby posted:

This is ridiculous.

the j! street boyz got each other's backs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soothing Vapors posted:

the j! street boyz got each other's backs

they roll deep