Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
He's talking about the superfish certs that Lenovo installed on most of their laptops. They're already proven to be untrustworthy. Recommending something that needs to be fiddled with to work is a terrible idea and that's why you're getting so much pushback, and I'd imagine those of us pushing the hardest are the ones who did this poo poo ourselves with nooks color and the like. It's so much nicer having something that works properly to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's at least a bit more forgivable when it's something cheap like a Nook Color. When something costs as much as an iPad, it shouldn't require much loving around beyond like installing a launcher or whatever.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

butt dickus posted:

He's talking about the superfish certs that Lenovo installed on most of their laptops. They're already proven to be untrustworthy. Recommending something that needs to be fiddled with to work is a terrible idea and that's why you're getting so much pushback, and I'd imagine those of us pushing the hardest are the ones who did this poo poo ourselves with nooks color and the like. It's so much nicer having something that works properly to begin with.

It saddens me that the general technical ability of posters in this thread (and on the internet, generally) is at the level where they probably call a plumber every time the toilet clogs.

I took thirty seconds to look up the Nook hack procedure and it appears to be:
1. Flash an Android image onto MicroSD card
2. Insert card into Nook
3. Boot Nook into android

What a chore!

I guess the problem I have is what defines "works properly to begin with", because that goalpost moves from person to person. If you are ok with being limited to using a device only in the way the designer intended then Apple has a product for you.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rickets posted:

It saddens me that the general technical ability of posters in this thread (and on the internet, generally) is at the level where they probably call a plumber every time the toilet clogs.

I took thirty seconds to look up the Nook hack procedure and it appears to be:
1. Flash an Android image onto MicroSD card
2. Insert card into Nook
3. Boot Nook into android

What a chore!

I guess the problem I have is what defines "works properly to begin with", because that goalpost moves from person to person. If you are ok with being limited to using a device only in the way the designer intended then Apple has a product for you.

4. Do all sorts of bullshit in ADB
5. Flash nightly builds in hopes that x feature starts working
6. Throw device in trash

My technical ability is used at my job where I'm paid enough to afford devices that work. My time is valuable and I don't want to spend it figuring out why my device is bootlooping or stopped being detected by ADB or just flashing in general, especially if it's something I just purchased.

When I was getting paid $15/hr like a scrub it seemed worth it to buy something cheaper and spend time making it "work." But even then it was a bad experience, I just didn't know it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Wait, I'm so confused now. I thought this was a new tablet. You're recommending paying iPad money for a late 2016 Lenovo tablet with a midrange snapdragon and that you have to totally replace the OS with LineageOS but the device is so unpopular there still isn't even an XDA forum for it??? What the hell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Wait, I'm so confused now. I thought this was a new tablet. You're recommending paying iPad money for a late 2016 Lenovo tablet with a midrange snapdragon and that you have to totally replace the OS with LineageOS but the device is so unpopular there still isn't even an XDA forum for it??? What the hell.

Can you watch 10 bit animes on an iPad? Check and mate, iSheep!!

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Hey just going to post this here to gauge some interest before I make a listing in the market. Would anyone be interested in a cheap Microsoft Surface 2 RT tablet shipped from Canada?

I got one as a gift a couple years ago but I'm simply just tired of this thing and looking to upgrade, Windows RT is too limiting for what I would like to do, and I just don't have any use for it anymore if I'm going to be shopping for something new.

It's a 32gb Surface 2 RT (non cellular) in very decent shape (other than some minor wear and tear). It comes bare bones with the charger. Thinking like ~$120 CAD + shipping to where ever you are.

Check it out here and make me an offer if you are interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835806

IKillForPie fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

butt dickus posted:

My time is valuable

Of course it's not, nobody's time is valuable because life is meaningless and we'll all be dead soon.

poo poo, you guys are just lazy. My apologies.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

IKillForPie posted:

Would anyone be interested in a cheap Microsoft Surface 2 RT tablet shipped from Canada?

I'd be surprised if anyone was interested, those things are worthless unless you have a custom built app. RT is dead.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

isndl posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone was interested, those things are worthless unless you have a custom built app. RT is dead.

All you gotta do is say no lol, maybe someone else wants it for web browsing or to play with. Why do you think I'm looking to upgrade?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Give in to the darkness my friends. i have stared into the abyss and it has stared back into me. $600 ipad with 120hz screen :getin:

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Rickets posted:

Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus stuff

How is using this thing in your lap? I bought an HD Fire 8 that I'm thinking of returning/selling because it struggles with my little bluetooth game controller and there's about a 1 second delay on sound with bluetooth ear buds which makes it pretty lovely to play SNES games on for example. I mostly use it in bed at night, so I'm concerned about how well the small stand on the Yoga tab would hold up in that regard. Also, do you think a keyboard would be useful for this thing?

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

So I am looking for some recommendations (please keep in mind that I live in Canada in terms of what is available to me).

Looking for something that I can do the following:

Web browsing + youtube + TV streaming. It would be ideal if the tablet had an HDMI output so I could connect it to my TV easily.
Light gaming. Think steam, like Baldurs Gate EE, Towerfall, Smallworld and other similar low demand graphics gaming. Not looking to play League/DotA unless somehow this is possible?
Work. Would be great if it had a portable keyboard for typing and possibly a mouse. Need to be able to access emails and social media feeds.
Movies. Something easy to look at for longer periods of time.

Right now I'm leaning towards a refurbished Surface Pro 3/4 or something similar. Does this sound like I'm in the right direction? I wouldn't mind a lower end laptop but the appeal of a tablet is pretty handy when I just want to be laying down in bed or on the couch and not in need of the keyboard/mouse.

Are there any other brands/models I should be looking at? My ideal budget for a refurbished model is around $500-$600, I would prefer not to have to buy new as I don't really want to spend $1000+ when I already have a perfectly fine working desktop. This is going to be more for travel/trips and around the house + something my girlfriend or guests can use and have access to.

I don't hate the idea of a iPad but I don't know a ton about them and have been more of a windows user previously. I also don't have an apple TV which is part of why I would like something I can connect via HDMI.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Praxis Prion posted:

How is using this thing in your lap? I bought an HD Fire 8 that I'm thinking of returning/selling because it struggles with my little bluetooth game controller and there's about a 1 second delay on sound with bluetooth ear buds which makes it pretty lovely to play SNES games on for example. I mostly use it in bed at night, so I'm concerned about how well the small stand on the Yoga tab would hold up in that regard. Also, do you think a keyboard would be useful for this thing?
I had similar problems with controllers (albeit I was trying a Switch pro controller so not the best test) but my cheap bluetooth ear buds worked fine on the Fire.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

There's definitely been an explosion in options for Surface equivalents after Microsoft proved there's a market for them, though quality is always a concern when dealing with budget devices (not that Microsoft's QC track record has been stellar so far, but at least they seem to be responsive to issues if you have a Microsoft Store to make exchanges at). None of them have been particularly stand-out that I've heard, but I'll admit to not having been researching the market lately either.

Let us know how well that Cube works, particularly the digitizer. The Surface 1/2 models had Wacom digitizers and there were tracking issues around the edges as I recall.
Just got the Cube Mix. First thing's first: gently caress, it doesn't work with my existing Wacom pen. I guess I'll have to get a new one after all. Supposedly the Cube stylus isn't that great so I'll see if I could get a different EMR compatible one.

Second: fuuuuck, it won't charge from the included AC adapter! I'm an idiot and was sticking it in the absolutely identical headphone jack.

It's small, but not as small as I visualized myself. Certainly doesn't blow your mind the way the Yoga Book does the first time you see it. 16:9 feels wrong but in practice it's not too bad because you can actually multitask and put two windows side by side easily. The 1080p resolution is fine, it looks pretty sharp on this size and doesn't require scaling. Imo worth the tradeoff for extra battery life. It's not fully laminated but the gap isn't large enough to bother me and the panel looks good overall. Bezels could've been smaller.

This has been pointed out in reviews, but the keyboard is heavy. Feels really very solid, like you could literally murder someone with it. Surprisingly decent to type on (not Thinkpad level but still), and the trackpad is... a trackpad, wish it had a trackpoint but there's no such beast in existence. Again, thinkpad complaint but it doesn't open quite far enough. In general, build quality feels pretty good. There just seems to be a place in the mod of the plastic antenna insert for an SD or maybe sim slot, and you can see the outline even though it's not actually there. Not exactly ipad but whatever.

Anyway, I'll try using it for a while and post an update once I have a chance to actually try the stylus.

IKillForPie posted:

So I am looking for some recommendations (please keep in mind that I live in Canada in terms of what is available to me).
A refurbished Surface Pro is probably a good choice. The other option could be to roll the dice on a chinese tablet like this one. It has HDMI out (through USB Type-C), a real attachable keyboard and reasonable amount of power to run some light games.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Is there an android tablet of choice now that the Nvidia Shield in the OP is no longer available.

Anyone have experience with the Huawei mediapad? Sounds good in the reviews but I've never heard of the company before. Otherwise I'm considering a Samsung galaxy or Asus zenpad.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Invader Zym posted:

Is there an android tablet of choice now that the Nvidia Shield in the OP is no longer available.

Anyone have experience with the Huawei mediapad? Sounds good in the reviews but I've never heard of the company before. Otherwise I'm considering a Samsung galaxy or Asus zenpad.

Huawei was the manufacturer of the Google Nexus 6p.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'd like to get a tablet with a keyboard-cover that I can toss in a bag and occasionally type on (preferably Word). Something like a Surface, but hopefully cheaper. It needs to have a keyboard (something thin) and can't be too delicate, since it'll be jostled around in a bag sometimes. It would be nice if I could use it as a beginner drawing tablet, but that's not necessary. Any ideas?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How cheap? A used SP3 might be the ticket?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

My really old second gen Kindle finally died, so I'm looking for a new tablet. I would mainly use the new one for reading books, but I think I want to stay away from another e-reader so that I can also read some manga.

The new Fire HD 10 looks the best to me, but is there another tablet in that price range that has better battery life?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DorianGravy posted:

I'd like to get a tablet with a keyboard-cover that I can toss in a bag and occasionally type on (preferably Word). Something like a Surface, but hopefully cheaper. It needs to have a keyboard (something thin) and can't be too delicate, since it'll be jostled around in a bag sometimes. It would be nice if I could use it as a beginner drawing tablet, but that's not necessary. Any ideas?

The Tab S3 has a really slick keyboard cover, but is a little pricey.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
My Dad's original iPad mini is busted, and he can get a direct replacement from Apple for £180. Is there anything around that price range (max £250) that is better for someone who only uses their tablet for web browsing, streaming and reading books?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

a glitch posted:

My Dad's original iPad mini is busted, and he can get a direct replacement from Apple for £180. Is there anything around that price range (max £250) that is better for someone who only uses their tablet for web browsing, streaming and reading books?

If he's used to the Apple format, why change?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
My father and I would like to get my mother a tablet, mostly for photos, some movies and the like. She's used to windows as a computing system, and we're in Canada, so the options are limited such wise.

Budget is variable, I can cover anything he cant.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Can we talk cases/sleeves in here? I've just picked up a Surface 4 with the pen and keyboard-case, and I'd really like to get a nice case for it. Ideally something leather, with room for the Surface and keyboard with the pen (or a pen holder), and a space for a notebook as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations along those lines?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should probably find the Surface or Windows laptop thread and ask there.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Are screen protectors recommended for tablets? I just picked up a Galaxy Tab A.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I would like a tablet that:

- is "standard" ipad size
- runs current android, as close to stock as possible
- is fast (not a gimped budget model)
- is as cheap as the ipad air and cheaper than the google pixel c tablet

Does such a thing exist? I am guessing there might be a samsing tablet that fits the bill but there are so many god drat models I can't figure out which is what.

edit: maybe a samsung tab s2 is the most reasonable...

other people fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 23, 2017

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

other people posted:

I would like a tablet that:

- is "standard" ipad size
- runs current android, as close to stock as possible
- is fast (not a gimped budget model)
- is as cheap as the ipad air and cheaper than the google pixel c tablet

Does such a thing exist? I am guessing there might be a samsing tablet that fits the bill but there are so many god drat models I can't figure out which is what.

edit: maybe a samsung tab s2 is the most reasonable...

you can get most of your list covered pretty easily actually.

just get an ipad

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NEED MORE MILK posted:

just get an ipad

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
well we went a different path and ended up buying a chromebook pro because MY WIFE really wanted a keyboard. it seems nice so far.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
You might want to consider a divorce.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You cannot beat a Surface pro.

Does anybody play darts? Have you seen what a loving scoreboard (essentially a jumbo basic calculator) costs? I want a 10"+ tablet to use for this purpose. I have a great app on my phone I'm going to use. Thing will be mounted on the wall and get almost no other use, YouTube maybe. What's cheap?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

codo27 posted:

Does anybody play darts? Have you seen what a loving scoreboard (essentially a jumbo basic calculator) costs? I want a 10"+ tablet to use for this purpose. I have a great app on my phone I'm going to use. Thing will be mounted on the wall and get almost no other use, YouTube maybe. What's cheap?

At 10" you're probably not going to do any better than a Kindle Fire HD 10" for $150, other than waiting a month and getting it cheaper on Black Friday. You can sideload the Google Play Store and install whatever app it is you like.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

codo27 posted:

I got a first gen iPad you can have for like $50

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What is the cheapest tablet for kids? I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and want to get them the same tablets for christmas. We will be flying across the country and the older one can watch movies so he won't scream, and it will look like we are trying to occupy the younger one while he screams.

Currently the older one uses my first gen ipad, but since its at iOS 5 it can't have any apps, and youtube loads really slowly.

I was thinking cheap fire tablets, but also saw the tab E lite at 120$ cdn. I am Canadian so its a bit harder, but am trying to figure out what to look for black friday sales for tablets and cases.

Usage would be some videos and whatever kids apps there are, for a few hours at a time. Used phones might work but then they will be calling 911 all the time, so Id rather have no phone ability.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blindjoe posted:

What is the cheapest tablet for kids? I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and want to get them the same tablets for christmas. We will be flying across the country and the older one can watch movies so he won't scream, and it will look like we are trying to occupy the younger one while he screams.

Currently the older one uses my first gen ipad, but since its at iOS 5 it can't have any apps, and youtube loads really slowly.

I was thinking cheap fire tablets, but also saw the tab E lite at 120$ cdn. I am Canadian so its a bit harder, but am trying to figure out what to look for black friday sales for tablets and cases.

Usage would be some videos and whatever kids apps there are, for a few hours at a time. Used phones might work but then they will be calling 911 all the time, so Id rather have no phone ability.

Amazon has been selling the 2016 Amazon Fire HD for like $30. Not sure if that's an option in Canada, but worth checking. https://slickdeals.net/f/10710268-p...teSearchV2Algo1

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Amazon has been selling the 2016 Amazon Fire HD for like $30. Not sure if that's an option in Canada, but worth checking. https://slickdeals.net/f/10710268-p...teSearchV2Algo1

Luckily I just order in the US and pick up across the border.

I can get 2 used, very good ones for $68, thats pretty cheap.
I bet that it won't be cheaper for black friday.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blindjoe posted:

Luckily I just order in the US and pick up across the border.

I can get 2 used, very good ones for $68, thats pretty cheap.
I bet that it won't be cheaper for black friday.

I wouldn't really look anywhere else for a cheap tablet. They're not going to be anything special, but they'll be miles better than some dirt cheap no name tablet for $30 for sure. And yeah, no reason to wait. Even if they lop another 50% off (and they won't), you'd only be saving $15 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

What's the best 8" windows tablet? I saw one post earlier in the thread that said the hi8 pro broke on them in three weeks and that one looked like the best option