Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
With my 5th game wrapping up, so far my endgame crises have been:

Praethorian Scourge
Sleepers Awake
Sleepers Awake
Sleepers Awake
Sleepers Awake

It hasn't always been me that conquers one of the stagnant ascendancies (which is what I assume triggers it.) This time around a (non-awakened) stagnant ascendancy declared war on my tributary for some reason. This stagnant ascendancy was holed up in one ring world system with all his super-turrets bunched together.

"Won"

What were the devouring swarm buffs? The only other relevant empire is a devouring swarm hivemind. Me as a fanatic purifier I'm happy to have someone else that isn't part of the big galactic all inclusive defense-pact (now federation.) We've been taking turns fighting the cowards of the galaxy and bringing them down a notch (and obviously not taking any prisoners.) I have to deal with the awakened ascendancy now which very unfortunately for me is based on one of my min-max conqueror species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Could be fun to force in 10 different flavors of devouring swarm, fanatic purifiers, determined exterminators and assimiltars into a galaxy and watch the crazy free for all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eej posted:

Remember how in Civ 4: BTS you basically could never reach the growth cap on any city in the end game because every single country in the world would just mash Poison Water Supply on cooldown

Yeah gently caress Espionage.

OldMold posted:

Feels like Espionage would work well within the current framework of the game - make it centered around a new "Clandestine Agent" leader type and send them on missions to destabilize defensive pacts, foment ethics divergence, get border worlds to declare independence, finance vassal uprisings, cause heartburn with an empire's factions, etc...

Add in a bunch of spy related leader traits, some special events peppered here and there, and you got a compelling emergent narrative.
A few well thought out options properly integrated into the game mechanics rather than a bunch of slapdash resource penalties would be Fun and Cool, and costing a leader slot per action gives a fairly hefty opportunity cost so spamming wouldn't really be a thing.

The game has faction led game mechanics and empire governance switching, covertly funding an empire's faction to destabilise them or push them to a more friendly ethic would fit right in. If as a player you suddenly find your pops are getting mysteriously materialist you already have a bunch of ways to deal with it, from suppressing factions to mind control lasers to just rolling with it and deciding you like robots now.

Refugees are a thing, set up an underground railroad to increase the flow for more grateful pops. Release rogue code to increase the odds of a machine uprising. Add some unique story chains that can only be triggered by enemy spy action. Cool stuff that gives you stuff to react to, not just "you're slightly worse now".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

It's sold as grand strategy.

Its tagline is literally "Grand Strategy on a Galactic Scale".

Point taken but I still think in practice it's more 4x than grand stratgey unless massive sweeping changes are made to not just diplomacy but also how the game is played.

There's still a win condition, that's very 4X, and when you are the only empire left in the galaxy, nothing happens, you just carry on existing. That is also very 4X.

For me to really see it as a grand stratgey game there needs to be more diplomacy but also the idea you can "win" the game needs to be dropped and the galaxy should go through cycles of empires rising and falling. I know that's the intention for the game, but it's not there yet.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I know it's a 4x, I agree with you! My point isn't that it is grand strategy, it's that it was sold to us as grand strategy... so it'd be nice if it actually attempted to deliver on that.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
has anyone made any interesting empires of their own that they'd like to share? i'd like to play against some empires with more interesting backstories than the ones generated by the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fututor Magnus posted:

i think every paradox grand strategy should have voiced advisors. paradox added voiced advisors in the stellaris because they were copying 4Xes but i'd like voiced advisors in games like eu4 or hoi4, and also different voiced advisors according to your country. so germany in hoi4 will have a nazi general voice advisor, who will call you fuhrer, and make you really feel like younm are giving him orders and such. you can also feel like you're stalin, the american advisor will call you mr. president, and so many more things for that sweet, sweet immersion. i doubt it's a big deal for paradox to hire some lovely voice actors to speak their lines in their own language and really immerse you into roleplaying as your particular country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVz_eDUTjAI

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Brilliantly, the Materialist voice sounds exactly like the worst sort of whiny tech sperg.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aethernet posted:

Brilliantly, the Materialist voice sounds exactly like the worst sort of whiny tech sperg.

I love how similar the authoritarian advisor sounds to the Vaygr Emperor from Homeworld. I'm using that voice even if I'm not playing authoritarian.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Fututor Magnus posted:

has anyone made any interesting empires of their own that they'd like to share? i'd like to play against some empires with more interesting backstories than the ones generated by the game.

If you want some fun ones to intersperse in your games, I can upload my updated list.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

turn off the TV posted:

I love how similar the authoritarian advisor sounds to the Vaygr Emperor from Homeworld. I'm using that voice even if I'm not playing authoritarian.

I started with an a fanatic authoritarian-spiritualist feudal empire, and really loved the authoritarian voice. Then I inadvertently swapped to fanatic spiritualist with The Old Gods, and it's taken everything in my power to not embrace my authoritarian faction, mostly just to get the advisor voice back.

Spiritual voice is ok, it's just not the characterization I had in mind for my caste-system loving, rival-vassalizing Chthulu overlords. Next time I might lock the voice at startup, but I do like the idea of it drifting.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

LogisticEarth posted:

I started with an a fanatic authoritarian-spiritualist feudal empire, and really loved the authoritarian voice. Then I inadvertently swapped to fanatic spiritualist with The Old Gods, and it's taken everything in my power to not embrace my authoritarian faction, mostly just to get the advisor voice back.

Spiritual voice is ok, it's just not the characterization I had in mind for my caste-system loving, rival-vassalizing Chthulu overlords. Next time I might lock the voice at startup, but I do like the idea of it drifting.

Click your symbol, and then advisor on the bottom.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sanctum posted:

With my 5th game wrapping up, so far my endgame crises have been:

Praethorian Scourge
Sleepers Awake
Sleepers Awake
Sleepers Awake
Sleepers Awake

Fallen Empires waking up isn't an endgame crisis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“turn off the TV”" post="“476848391”"]
I love how similar the authoritarian advisor sounds to the Vaygr Emperor from Homeworld. I’m using that voice even if I’m not playing authoritarian.
[/quote]

That's a strange spelling of xenophile.

"We took animals and made them people!"
"They're fighting! Stop fighting!"

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
how do the cyborgs that driven assimilators use fare on machine worlds? not too well i'd imagine, right?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Could be fun to force in 10 different flavors of devouring swarm, fanatic purifiers, determined exterminators and assimiltars into a galaxy and watch the crazy free for all.

I force-spawn a fanatic purifier, a regular hivemind, a devouring swarm, and one of each type of machine empire in my games. I like having the guaranteed conflict.

e: I play on a small map with 8 AI empires, so that's 6 of them right there. The 7th and 8th are whatever random stuff appears.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Soup du Journey posted:

how do the cyborgs that driven assimilators use fare on machine worlds? not too well i'd imagine, right?

Given they don't use food, they might actually be coded to stand a chance. I'll give my Shreks a playthrough and find out sometime.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The only advisor voice that's missing is a smooth talking space capitalist for the "space wal-mart" empires I seem to make every other game

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I'm loving the Xenophobe voice. I like believing that my race of Fanatical Purifier fungus blobs, when they deign to speak, speak like an extra-snotty David Warner.

We could probably use separate voices for Hippie Spiritualist and Dogmatic Spiritualist though. And agreed that Corporate Materialist would be a great addition.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The authoritarian guy sounds like Jemaine Clement doing an evil voice.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Militarist is completely unhinged and ridiculous so I naturally selected militarist.

The Brave Little Toaster Gone Bad empire successfully cleansed the galaxy before a crisis could even fire. Lack of a cleanse wargoal made it a little tricky since I was getting huge batches of systems that I had to shove into sectors to avoid bankruptcy. Turning off "allow sector to robot" and the fast extermination speed made it pretty smooth though.

Just kept a few planets around along the route to make into repair points. Once I got jump drives it only took a little while to subdue enough of the galaxy to hit the 40% planet win condition by shoving everyone into a sector and letting them colonize. VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO WAR PATCH THOUGH. The troop micro is the worst :suicide:

The galaxy did do a pretty good job of forming one giant coalition to try to resist by the time I had half of it though, which was neat. Normally they just die piecemeal.

A good story pack though I don't think I'm going to play another exterminatus style empire until war is less painful.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guys, I really hate to disappoint you but there's a slight issue with your plan:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 28, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Found out the hard way corvettes don't really counter battleships and cruisers anymore. So an enemy nation invades me with three other guys, one of their fleets gets trapped by one of my space fortresses set up to basically to destroy everything smaller than a cruiser. It end up killing everything except the battleships, so I have a fleet of nothing but corvette and destroyers in reserve meant for killing reinforcements and space stations, so I send them, they had 1.5x the fleet power of the remaining battleship so I thought it would be an easy fight. Yeah, no. Not only did my fleet lose, I only killed one battleships in the attempt. :suicide:

Short there after my empire got carved three ways and it was game over for me. I don't know what works and what doesn't when it comes to fleet combat anymore.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 28, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

OwlFancier posted:

Guys, I really hate to disappoint you but there's a slight issue with your plan:

What happens when a devouring swarm conquers machine pops? Do they get minerals / energy instead of food?

I just did the reverse in my exterminator game, conquered one of my old hive races. Turns out hive mind pops, since they have no happiness, don't mind getting slowly rendered into gasoline, so no unrest! I had just gotten Waste Processing from the Domination focus too, so instant +12 energy a pop, over a thousand energy a month increase in my income.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

How do i get rid of the ghost signal? From looking around it looks like there should be some kind of project but it hasn't spawned. Literally everyone in my empire is a robot so i have -400 energy and -750 minerals

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

How do i get rid of the ghost signal? From looking around it looks like there should be some kind of project but it hasn't spawned. Literally everyone in my empire is a robot so i have -400 energy and -750 minerals

Start a new game with the 1.8.1 beta because it shouldn't fire for machine empires anymore.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So the fact that the patch pushed endgame crises to 200 rather than 150 years is great.

Unfortunately I already invested several days in a pre-patch playthrough and I need to deal with the contingency at exactly the 150 year mark.

The first planet appeared right in the middle of my rival, and I laughed.

The next three appeared in my empire, one of them in the same system as one of my most important mineral planets.

The biggest fleet I can manage is about 130K.

Is this just the end of my game? I can beat a single 100k fleet of theirs with huge losses, but they're slowly dismantling my industrial base, so it's not like I'll be able to do that forever, and I have no idea how to take on their 200k fleets. A neighboring robotic fallen empire woke up to help, but it's just sitting there. How can I get it to do something?

This crisis might have been fun to deal with in 50 years, but as it stands it seems like an arbitrary game over for me. This is the first time I've played long enough to even get to an endgame crisis too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Back Hack posted:

Found out the hard way corvettes don't really counter battleships and cruisers anymore. So an enemy nation invades me with three other guys, one of their fleets gets trapped by one of my space fortresses set up to basically to destroy everything smaller than a cruiser. It end up killing everything except the battleships, so I have a fleet of nothing but corvette and destroyers in reserve meant for killing reinforcements and space stations, so I send them, they had 1.5x the fleet power of the remaining battleship so I thought it would be an easy fight. Yeah, no. Not only did my fleet lose, I only killed one battleships in the attempt. :suicide:

Short there after my empire got carved three ways and it was game over for me. I don't know what works and what doesn't when it comes to fleet combat anymore.

Honestly I've played like 30-40 games at this point now and even though people talked up cruisers/corvettes forever I have never lost a late game scenario where I 100% went battleship. 3:1 kinetics monstrosity/arc emitter-carrier deck with flak. Armor up to where diminishing returns gets brutal, shields after that, but stick with shield caps since the regen is pretty strong. This setup just murders anything at equal value I've faced, often lopsided, and actually has a working backup plan in that you can retreat from a battle right around when medium size weapons get in range should you run into poo poo you aren't beating outright. If you fight something really high in evasion, pretty much just another player psyker empire, you switch to all arc emitters since evasion literally doesn't work against 100% tracking.

Configure 5-6 space ports for battleship construction and put an Admiral governor type in that place and they build as fast as cruisers do now. Put all your planets in 1 sector and late game for 100 influence you can dump 30-40k minerals onto yourself every couple years.

I'm not at home or I'd add a screenshot of 100 battleships beating 1600 evasion corvettes me and another goon test ran in a wrapping up MP game. I lost a grand total of 1 battleship.

In crazy competitive MP games this probably doesn't work because there's a long wind up time to consider but I think that would apply to like 2% of the people in this thread.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the best fortress design to tank and hold the enemy for as long as possible until your fleet arrives?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

So the fact that the patch pushed endgame crises to 200 rather than 150 years is great.

Unfortunately I already invested several days in a pre-patch playthrough and I need to deal with the contingency at exactly the 150 year mark.

The first planet appeared right in the middle of my rival, and I laughed.

The next three appeared in my empire, one of them in the same system as one of my most important mineral planets.

The biggest fleet I can manage is about 130K.

Is this just the end of my game? I can beat a single 100k fleet of theirs with huge losses, but they're slowly dismantling my industrial base, so it's not like I'll be able to do that forever, and I have no idea how to take on their 200k fleets. A neighboring robotic fallen empire woke up to help, but it's just sitting there. How can I get it to do something?

This crisis might have been fun to deal with in 50 years, but as it stands it seems like an arbitrary game over for me. This is the first time I've played long enough to even get to an endgame crisis too.

Fight defensively and wait for the rest of the galaxy to pitch in? You might get another Awakened Empire helping out if there's Xenophiles or Materialists around, too. Make sure to set your fleet to take point on so others can attach to it.

Seems odd that the Machine FE isn't moving. Is this on 1.8.1?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

turn off the TV posted:

I love giving marauding killbots the Pacifist voice.

"Pacifism module failing. Beginning count-to-ten protocol. Ten. Nine. It isn't working, abort, abort!" The Egalitarian one is pretty great too since it's constantly talking about how difficult Freedom is.

I just wish the voices took the difference between a Hive Mind and an AI into account. They've got custom voice lines if you're an AI, but normal Hive Minds get the AI voice lines too.

I just want a Hive Mind that is an "I" not a "We"

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

What's the best fortress design to tank and hold the enemy for as long as possible until your fleet arrives?

I like to ring a system with long-range (artillery/bombers) fortresses without FTL magnets and put a single sacrificial station in the middle *with* a magnet. That setup can trap even large fleets for months, and provide support fire once your fleet arrives.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz posted:

I like to ring a system with long-range (artillery/bombers) fortresses without FTL magnets and put a single sacrificial station in the middle *with* a snare. That setup can trap even large fleets for months, and provide support fire once your fleet arrives.

But you nerfed the death flower into the ground with ridiculously large exclusion zones?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

I like to ring a system with long-range (artillery/bombers) fortresses without FTL magnets and put a single sacrificial station in the middle *with* a magnet. That setup can trap even large fleets for months, and provide support fire once your fleet arrives.

Ah I thought when you expanded the minimum distance forts can be apart it was to counter this "flower" design and the new maximum distance ensures they're totally out of range of each other. Will give that a try.
But for the station in the middle, any tricks to min-max its staying power? Should it be jammed full of PD or fighters and tons of armor?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

But you nerfed the death flower into the ground with ridiculously large exclusion zones?

On the other hand, fortresses have like 10x the health they used to have and are pretty drat cheap. Static defenses are less about killing fleets and more about delaying them and/or supporting your defensive fleet.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Ah I thought when you expanded the minimum distance forts can be apart it was to counter this "flower" design and the new maximum distance ensures they're totally out of range of each other. Will give that a try.
But for the station in the middle, any tricks to min-max its staying power? Should it be jammed full of PD or fighters and tons of armor?

All your fortresses won't be able to fire at once, but 2-3 of them will, and they will take a long time to bring them down.

Really depends who you're fighting and what weapons they have. Always put the hull strength boosters in aux if you have them, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Wiz”" post="“476855779”"]
All your fortresses won’t be able to fire at once, but 2-3 of them will, and they will take a long time to bring them down.

Really depends who you’re fighting and what weapons they have. Always put the hull strength boosters in aux if you have them, though.
[/quote]

Any chance of making the 5% one guaranteed in some way and the 10% one remaining special loot? It's weird to go entire games and not have a type of accessory slot equipment.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Any chance of making the 5% one guaranteed in some way and the 10% one remaining special loot? It's weird to go entire games and not have a type of accessory slot equipment.

You will always get the lesser one if you take down crystalline entities and scan their debris.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Baronjutter posted:

Put one weapon in it, as many shields as possible, and armor to bring it up to max reduction percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Right but you don't always spawn close to crystalline entities. It's not like the space whales.

• Locked thread