Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Is that the movie where keanu reeves says "you just sit around and gently caress my mom and eat pancakes" ?

Probably. Definitely sounds right.

Glover's performance is so great though. "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF CLARISSA, MAAAAAAAAN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
All Glover wanted was a sixer.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

veni veni veni posted:

Is that the movie where keanu reeves says "you just sit around and gently caress my mom and eat pancakes" ?

https://youtu.be/psWB_QIQOeM

The script is really great. Also excellent cinematography by Fredreck Elmes, who also shot Blue Velvet, which was also released in 1986. River's Edge is like the anti-John Hughes 80s movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And let's not forget Dennis Hopper being amazing in river's edge

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Movies not.... real???

Yeah, sure, but 'based on a true story' movies could at least try not to lionize mediocre assholes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, also worth noting that River's Edge is a true story. It'd make a great double feature with Bully and/or Alpha Dog

precision fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 28, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Speaking of which, also worth noting that River's Edge is a true story. It'd make a great double feature with Bully and/or Alpha Dog

I still haven't seen Bully (that is a Larry Clark movie correct?) yet. I need to correct that someday. Alpha Dog was good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Bully is....not so good. Especially if you're going into thinking it's gonna be like Alpha Dog, which is way better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Field Mousepad posted:

Bully is....not so good. Especially if you're going into thinking it's gonna be like Alpha Dog, which is way better.

Bully is extremely good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I daresay Bully is better than Alpha Dog, and I do think they're somewhat similar.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Both are good but Bully is def' better than Alpha Dog.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Watching a bunch of teenagers rape and kill each other doesn't really do it for me. I know that's kinda the point of the movie but it's not my thing :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that's incredibly reductive.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nate fisher posted:

All Glover wanted was a sixer.

I STILL use that line today, in office, in response to stupid requests.

"I'll do it mannn, but you're gonna owe me a sixer."

NOBODY gets it and I'm laughing my butt off.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Lycus posted:

I think I would've liked the Bad Batch on some level if the last scene was them eating the heroine instead of the bunny.

Agreed. It was a pretty movie but also pretty pointless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tin Star dropped on Prime. It's real drat good so far. Tim Roth in a Fargo/Ozark-esque "small town, big crimes" story.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I can't decide if Cloud Atlas is a time-traveling, boundary-vaporizing, genre-reinventing testimony to human will and imagination, or if it's the confused last reel of The Phantom Menace stretched over three hours and with more uncomfortable...makeup.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Inspector Hound posted:

I can't decide if Cloud Atlas is a time-traveling, boundary-vaporizing, genre-reinventing testimony to human will and imagination, or if it's the confused last reel of The Phantom Menace stretched over three hours and with more uncomfortable...makeup.

Yes

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector Hound posted:

Well it's certainly not the former

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
If you're just looking to brighten your day and renew the faintest hope that maybe not everything in life sucks, try Long Shot on Netflix. :unsmith:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is it just me or is HBO Now really spotty? I'm trying to watch a show, but I have to pause every 5 minutes for buffering like it's 2008. Are the servers swamped on Sunday nights or something? Netflix, Amazon and Showtime all work completely fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lester Shy posted:

Is it just me or is HBO Now really spotty? I'm trying to watch a show, but I have to pause every 5 minutes for buffering like it's 2008. Are the servers swamped on Sunday nights or something? Netflix, Amazon and Showtime all work completely fine.

Yeah. They do need to fix that. It's basically unusable when GOT is on. I guess everyone wants to watch The Deuce. CYE comes back tonight too so I bet it's gonna be real awful in a little while.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Watched an episode of Cable Girls: The modern songs during club scenes is such a weird stylistic choice.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I haven't had issues the last two seasons of GoT, and I tend to watch right when it goes up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Asnorban posted:

I haven't had issues the last two seasons of GoT, and I tend to watch right when it goes up.

It may depend on your region or what CDN you're pulling stuff from. I definitely had issues all this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it was real bad around GOT season 3-4 when the show was first getting really huge. I haven't really had any problems with HBO ever since.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It may depend on your region or what CDN you're pulling stuff from. I definitely had issues all this year.

Same here. I can only watch new Game of Thrones episodes around midnight Pacific when everyone else is already asleep.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lester Shy posted:

You can watch hbo through Amazon and that seems to work ok.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also the Deuce is awesome .

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Raw is going to be on US Netflix starting October 4. Female lead is a vegetarian who goes to vet school, gets hazed into eating meat, but that leads to some unexpected cravings. Slow burn with lots of tension and there are some pretty gruesome scenes. Strongly recommend!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo The Exorcist tv series (Hulu) is wayyyyyyy better than it has any right to be, like seriously amazing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Raw is going to be on US Netflix starting October 4. Female lead is a vegetarian who goes to vet school, gets hazed into eating meat, but that leads to some unexpected cravings. Slow burn with lots of tension and there are some pretty gruesome scenes. Strongly recommend!

It's easily one of the best movies released this year, regardless of genre.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've got one episode to go with The Vietnam War on PBS. It's probably the best work Burns has done since The Civil War.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Raw is very good and also extremely gross. Horror movie gore usually has no effect on me, but I actually had to look away at several points.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I didn't much care for Gerald's Game, the acting's alright but I think the story would be much better adapted as a play. The protagonist's situation is horrific at first, but that wears off after a while and the psychodrama elements are rote.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm trying out a free trial to Filmstruck.

Tempted to check out Shudder too since I can get a month for free, but I'm not sure I'd use it after October is over.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

I'm trying out a free trial to Filmstruck.

Tempted to check out Shudder too since I can get a month for free, but I'm not sure I'd use it after October is over.

If you stream Amazon Prime it's really easy to pick up Shudder as a $5 add-on, and Prime makes it super easy to cancel subscriptions so you can just cancel after Halloween.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I still haven't seen Bully (that is a Larry Clark movie correct?) yet. I need to correct that someday. Alpha Dog was good.

Bully is the movie I show people when I want them to see what living in non-southern Florida is like. It's not good at all but kind of a guilty pleasure. Same as every other Larry Clark movie. Lots of young kids doing drugs and loving

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 2, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BIZORT posted:

Bully is the movie I show people when I want them to see what living in non-southern Florida is like. It's not good at all but kind of a guilty pleasure. Same as every other Larry Clark movie. Lots of young kids doing drugs and loving

Wait, where does it take place?

edit: Nevermind, it was filmed in LA; Hollywood, FL; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; and a few smaller places near there.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I researched Alpha Dog when it was mentioned in this thread a few days ago and was surprised to see the reviews were kind of tepid when it came out. I remember it as a career high for several of the players: Emile Hirsch, Justin Timberlake, Anton Yelchin, Shawn Hatosy, and holy gently caress Ben Foster was a force of nature.

I think about that movie sometimes when I wonder why Ben Foster isn't a megastar. Alpha Dog and 3:10 to Yuma came out at about the same time and it seemed like he was incredibly gifted.