Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

United States v. 11 1/4 Dozen Packages of Articles Labeled in Part Mrs. Moffat's Shoo-Fly Powders for Drunkenness

I'm pretty sure this isn't a civil asset forfeiture case, I was reading about it the other day. It's actually one of the first times the FDA ever did anything after coming into existence - it was pretty much a poisonous emetic that claimed to cure hangovers by making you puke (and also poisoning you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Wealth is when you're an accredited investor.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a civil asset forfeiture case, I was reading about it the other day. It's actually one of the first times the FDA ever did anything after coming into existence - it was pretty much a poisonous emetic that claimed to cure hangovers by making you puke (and also poisoning you).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...for_Drunkenness

Incredible.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/73021d/boyfriend_didnt_do_his_taxes_this_year_what_will/

doesn't pay his taxes, blames his mom and has his girlfriend take flak on reddit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that girlfriend is a loving idiot

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Photex posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/73021d/boyfriend_didnt_do_his_taxes_this_year_what_will/

doesn't pay his taxes, blames his mom and has his girlfriend take flak on reddit.

Deleted already. Did you copy and paste or is there an archive?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/72p16b/can_i_afford_my_dream_car_i_know_it_isnt_the_best/

quote:

Take home 3100/month

ALL monthly expenses - AT MOST 750 but 800 for rounding's sake. This includes expenses for the home I own like upgrades and mortgage payments.

Putting 10k down

Financing 41k of the car

Payments will be around 820/month

Ins will be less than 140/month

So we are around 1800/month expenses

Saving 1200/month.

I know you might not think its the smartest but this is all I ever wanted and desperately need a new car. One of the safest cars on the road too so it isn't just some muscle car mid life crisis. I'm fine with "it isn't the smartest but will be fine long term" but dont want to be committing financial suicide.

People keep saying the rule of thumb is 30% on housing and 15% on car. That's 45% on housing and cars. I would be around 41% so I'm still ahead here right?

Take home pay is $3,100 and he wants a car with payments of $820 a month. He claims all his other expenses total $800 but he somehow only has $10k to put down.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

what kind of poo poo heap does he live in and own that his expenses for everything including maintenance and eating and cell phone and electricity and everything else only totals 800 bucks?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's almost certainly a Volvo based on his comments but I hope that dumb loving cocksucker is saving up for a kitted up Kia Stinger GT.

Even aside from the base idea being beyond stupid, that guy is a Grade A moron considering you can buy a used $50K car for 40% off after like three years.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Here is his 'budget':

quote:

First, I'm getting rid of my car. The POS is gone when I get something new. I live modestly in everything except in what I want out of my next car.
Food 100-125
Tv/internet 35
Home ins 40
Water 50
Elect 50
Sewer 10
Mortgage 350
All of that adds to 635. Add home and clothes on there if you like. But that's still below 800.
Now...
all of that 635
Car payment 820
Car ins 140

Go ahead and count up all the stuff that isn't included (as a sidenote, he apparently owns his house, so you can factor in all the costs of of home ownership among what he is omitting)

The fact that he is so unwilling to actually name the car he wants to get means that hes' 100% sure he would get laughed out of there for paying $51k for it. Also:

quote:

How long are you financing it for and what will its value be once you've paid it off?

quote:

5 years. Residual value is yet to be seen. Its a fairly new model. Isn't 4 years old yet
I hope that I am parsing this wrong and he is just planning on buying a 4 year old car model new, and not that he is going to pay $51k for a 4-year old used car. But the way he's posting, I can't be sure.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

One of our cars was a brand new Volvo SUV and sweet merciful Jesus has depreciation done number on that car.

I don't really care because thankfully we can afford it, it's a great car and the premium I paid was probably with the peace of mind (to us) but new cars are DO NEVER BUY from now on as far as I'm concerned.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ebola Roulette posted:

One of the safest cars on the road too so it isn't just some muscle car mid life crisis.

So you're saying it is a muscle car mid-life crisis, but not only that

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

Wealth is when you're an accredited investor.

Some there is an income only qualification, you could be accredited and living paycheck to paycheck

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

Here is his 'budget':

Go ahead and count up all the stuff that isn't included (as a sidenote, he apparently owns his house, so you can factor in all the costs of of home ownership among what he is omitting)

The fact that he is so unwilling to actually name the car he wants to get means that hes' 100% sure he would get laughed out of there for paying $51k for it. Also:

I hope that I am parsing this wrong and he is just planning on buying a 4 year old car model new, and not that he is going to pay $51k for a 4-year old used car. But the way he's posting, I can't be sure.

You can get a 4 year old S550 for $38k with less than 50k miles, which to my mind is the most you should ever need to pay for a used car.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When does mid life crisis mode start, asking for a friend interested in muscle cars

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's almost certainly a Volvo based on his comments

I'm going for Range Rover Evoque.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Risky Bisquick posted:

When does mid life crisis mode start, asking for a friend interested in muscle cars

Presumably in mid-life but i'm not actually sure

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Risky Bisquick posted:

Early 40's is when your average suburban office worker is hit with the crushing realization that this is as good as it gets, I believe.

Then comes the sports car, ATVs, Harley's for some. Lots of leathered-up accountants pissing off their neighbors with obnoxious exhaust notes out there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I thought Subaru's were the new hotness for safe cars? Volvos are nice and all, but the gas mileage hauling that much extra steel around sours them on me.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Anytime after 40 works.

That was when I suddenly wanted a 1970's Mercedes convertible.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Just as a warning, not all people go into muscle-car mode when they reach crisis. A small but significant portion of people just start wearing cardigans and begin constructing model train sets in their basements or spare rooms. Whereas many 'fast car' crisis sufferers overcome their condition in a few years, these people almost always burrow further and further into their craft, destroying their work to rebuild it in ever-more elaborate and larger forms. Without intervention they will eventually be found in a heap of papermache, static flock, and HO scale steam engines.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

I'm going for Range Rover Evoque.

Audi S4 is in the right range but I think he smugly was like Not an Audi Bro

It could also be a full size pickup l m f a o

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Risky Bisquick posted:

depends on when you plan on dying. I planned to die at 36 so I got my midlife crisis out of the way while I was a freshman in college. Now I plan to die at 120, so no midlife crisis necessary at 60. GWL

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

depends on when you plan on dying. I planned to die at 36 so I got my midlife crisis out of the way while I was a freshman in college. Now I plan to die at 120, so no midlife crisis necessary at 60. GWL

That's called a quarter-life crisis and is the latest millennial fad I hear the kids are crazy about.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

This makes sense, I anticipate dying every day and have a panic around lunchtime.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ate all the Oreos posted:

That's called a quarter-life crisis and is the latest millennial fad I hear the kids are crazy about.

Yeah, people who write about millennials act like it's a new trend that 20 year olds want to buy a fast car, motorcycle, or take up a dangerous hobby.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Just as a warning, not all people go into muscle-car mode when they reach crisis. A small but significant portion of people just start wearing cardigans and begin constructing model train sets in their basements or spare rooms. Whereas many 'fast car' crisis sufferers overcome their condition in a few years, these people almost always burrow further and further into their craft, destroying their work to rebuild it in ever-more elaborate and larger forms. Without intervention they will eventually be found in a heap of papermache, static flock, and HO scale steam engines.
I'm okay with this.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Good news: the high-end horse market has finally recovered from the great recession.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-28/risk-on-trade-reaches-horse-market-as-500-000-colts-sell-fast

quote:

The bull market that has spread in the U.S. from stocks to junk bonds to real estate has now made its way into a more obscure corner of the financial world: thoroughbreds.

In the Keeneland auction ring in Lexington, Kentucky, demand was so robust this month for the most blue-blooded of young colts and fillies that the half-million-dollar price mark was tripped again and again.

Forty-seven hit that benchmark level in the first day alone, including one filly that went for $2.7 million to a group of Irish breeders. And by the time the final gavel fell on the two-week auction, that number had climbed to a decade-high of 119. In total, 2,555 horses were sold for more than $300 million, setting an average price record of $120,487.

It’s been a slow climb back for the thoroughbred market since it collapsed amid the panic of the global financial crisis. (Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy right in the middle of the 2008 edition of the Keeneland sale.) Half-million-dollar purchases sank to a post-crisis low of just 28 in 2010 before rebounding to 60 by 2013 and 93 last year.

“The horse business in general, while it is a business, there’s an element of luxury goods to it as well, especially in the upper echelon of the market,” said Doug Cauthen, a bloodstock agent based in Lexington. “So it has to be the people that have wealth feeling like they can go out and spend it.”

The return to the market this month of some of the big buyers of yesteryear who had backed off during the crisis -- including Dubai Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum -- suggests the rally isn’t over, Cauthen said. “It’ll continue, bar an economic downturn.”

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Motronic posted:

United States v. Vampire Nation
I don't ever want context for this because there's no way in hell it's as cool as what's in my head.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Ashcans posted:

No posting about yourself in this thread.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't want to have to clean my basement so I am buying a dumb car instead.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't ever want context for this because there's no way in hell it's as cool as what's in my head.

I'm going to write a book about this case, but find a way to put it in the young adult section of a bookstore and will print money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That airport money story sounds like complete bullshit. A drug dog signals by sitting down, not attacking a bag.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

werdnam posted:

No posting about yourself in this thread.

Betrayed by my avatar.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Devian666 posted:

That airport money story sounds like complete bullshit. A drug dog signals by sitting down, not attacking a bag.

Some dogs (like bomb dogs) alert by sitting down. Some dogs alert by scratching the poo poo out of the place where the drugs are.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/732fkx/help_a_bride_and_groom_fairly_divvy_wedding_money/ posted:

A bride and groom are looking for some third party help figuring out a fair way to divide the gift money to recoup some of the expenses from the wedding. Each has their own bank accounts and spent a good deal of their own money on the wedding. For context, the groom makes twice as much as the bride, and pays the bills (mortgage, city taxes, school taxes, all the utilities, 90% of groceries, etc), and the bride’s income goes toward saving for expensive American medical school. The bride is not from the US, so 80% of the guests were on the groom’s side. One point of contention is the fact that the bride’s family overseas who were unable to attend gave a lot more than those who did attend, and that the money was given for the couple to start their lives together, not to pay for the meals of Americans whose gifts didn’t cover it.
Here are some potentially relevant numbers in case people wanted to ask:
Total cost of the wedding: $21,000
Paid by groom: $7,300
Paid by groom’s parents: $5,450
Paid by bride’s parents: $5,000
Paid by bride: $3,250
There were $425 worth of kitchen item gifts, and $325 of Amazon gift cards, 95% from the groom’s side.
As far as cash gifts, this is how it was divided:
From grooms side: $5136 (65 adult guests)
From bride’s side: $1150 (17 adult guests)
From bride’s family not attending: $2960 (5 families)
So both the bride and the groom want their expenses covered the most fair way possible and feel third party opinions would be the best way to approach it. What do people think is best?
This marriage is starting off great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

drat Bananas posted:

This marriage is starting off great.

This is amazing.

Looks like their startup wasn't profitable. Better learn some lessons from it for the next one

edit: speaking of startups
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/72vpq2/very_pregnant_and_terrified_of_possibly_grossly/
Very pregnant and terrified of possibly grossly unfair prenup, Bay Area CA (self.legaladvice)
submitted 22 hours ago * by urgent_prenup_help

quote:

Early 30s F engaged to early 30s M. Very pregnant. South Bay.
1) Fiance wants all his earnings, all items purchased with his earnings, and all increases in value to his assets to be separate property. Additionally wants an alimony waiver.
2) Fiance insists that childcare, housekeeping, and all related family labor will be 95% my responsibility. That it is my job. In exchange I will have room, board, etc for the duration of our marriage. The only assets I will accrue would be those I paid for with income earned on top of this responsibility. Or some very limited amount.

Background: Previously I (F) was employed at a position elsewhere in the country with a much lower cost of living at a salary of 100K. An equivalent Bay Area position would pay 120-160K. Many health problems since college, only odd jobs before that. I have next to no assets currently. I am not employed since the time that I moved to his home and conceived, six months ago.
Fiance (M) is CEO and majority owner of a startup. He has paid himself between 50K and 25K for the last two years, preferring to labor to increase the value of his assets and avoid taxes. Current valuation of assets around 1.5M but not at all liquid. They are vested but not exercised. Within 6 months assets likely valued at around 8M. I'm guessing here. He keeps me in the dark.
He plans to up his salary to 120K shortly, but would easily earn 250K on the open market at a 50 hr/week job, which he has attested to repeatedly and I personally believe is realistic. So, again, even after marriage he will primarily be working for the increase in value of his assets, which he insists will be his separate property. I won't even have a portion of the upside. Regardless, his salary would remain his separate property.
We've always talked about how, since he wants to and will likely never stop working 80hrs a week, I would be the primary caregiver. I have expressed that if we married, because of his character and the nature of our relationship, I would like to be a stay at home mom.
If I were marrying someone who had a job (e.g. college professor) that realistically allowed 30hrs work per week and 50/50 split between spouses of all childcare, household responsibilities, errands, shopping, etc, I would be happy to work an equal number of hours to my spouse and split 50/50.
For more background, two bedroom houses that are essentially shacks cost 2M in the town where we live, where my fiance prefers to have his business. A very modest but decent family home costs 3M.
I am aghast and desperate. I am looking for any and all general advice.
He is talking about the possibility of a postnup that would be fair. That we'd just sign the prenup now to get the marriage out of the way, and then pay the significant fees to draft a complicated and fair postnup later. He refuses to talk about specific terms or a specific date for the postnup.
In the past he'd casually mentioned a prenup, but I'd always thought this would be simply to explicitly protect his pre-marriage assets and the details of my rights to liquidate marriage-earned upside in such a way that the company wouldn't be harmed, which I was totally on board with.
I feel trapped and terrified. In business, he seems somewhat fair and reasonable much of the time, so I am absolutely confounded as to what is going on here. How can he possibly think that a full-time live in nanny/maid should only be paid room and board? When her IQ is one in a quarter million and she attended the same ivy league school he did? It pains me. Even though he briefly bandied about the possibility of a nanny so that I could work, he made it clear that I'd be responsible for all the childcare and housework after hours, and that we'd only be paying for the cheapest nanny or daycare we could find. Enough to keep the kid alive. It pains me to think of what would happen to my child's intellectual potential in such a circumstance. I want the kid to be raised by me, by my husband, or some combination of the two with reasonable 30-40hr/week workloads. I'd hoped that for the first few years he would have one on one stimulation/instruction from a parent for nearly all his waking hours, as I did, and for many hours per day after school age.
I feel bereft and desperate about my and my child's future.
While a few family friends have briefly advised that such a prenup would be unconscionable and likely thrown out in the event of divorce, I cannot bank on that. And what a way to enter into marriage and parenthood -- with a slave contract.
Ah, my hormones are raging. That's likely not a reasonable characterization, but, goodness, that's how it feels.
I do not have a specific question, but, please, throw in any advice you have.
I will note that for many years of my early twenties I considered myself a men's rights activists and have turned past boyfriends and male friends on to the healthier side of the movement. I do not identify as a feminist. I frequent red pill women. I like being a girl, and I don't want to screw over a man. But truly, this feels wrong. What can I do? What would you do?
When my fiance says that housework and parenting isn't real work, and isn't remotely like a full time job, I think to myself how even my 14hr/day data scientist job was so so much less work than the work my mother did as a stay at home parent.
Bottom line -- my fiance will never work less than 80hrs/week. He will never do more than 5% of childcare and housekeeping. He has made this clear. And he doesn't think I should be allowed to accrue anything but emergency assets -- certainly not, say, the 2M+ that would likely be afforded to me in, say, 20 yrs if this were a normal marriage if he left me, where either childcare and housekeeping was split 50/50 and husband and wife worked equal hours, or in a fair sole breadwinner/stay at home parent arrangement. Maybe 100K total, no matter the duration of the marriage, to get me back on my feet.
If it matters, my fiance proposed to me two months before the pregnancy and said that he would "get me pregnant" repeatedly in the weeks before conception. It takes two to tango, but it's part of the story.
Another part of the story is that if I had to be truly honest with myself, it's that I desperately WANT to be a stay at home mom. I loved my job beyond measure, but it's my dream to teach my child full time for the years prior to school and throughout the entire evening after. It's what I was raised with, and it was the best part of my life. This is his leverage, ultimately, I think. But I want to be a stay at home mom like a neurosurgeon wants to be a neurosurgeon. To me, it doesn't mean I get nothing out of the deal. I get half (I'm happy with a "cap" -- say 5M or something in the unlikely even our marital property would exceed 10M -- I don't need to be filthy rich, whatever.) And anyway it looks like all the parenting responsibility will fall on me whether or not I work outside the home.
Please, give me any and all of your advice, intuitions, support, musings, anecdotes. I'm lost and desperate. I'm sorry for the length.
Edit: Thank you so much for the replies thus far. What I'd really like to know, in addition, is if there are legal/rational arguments I might make to my fiance about all this. I don't think he realizes he's screwing me over. I think he thinks he's protecting himself. I think he has made a horrible miscalculation and is grossly undervaluing me, and there aren't market forces to tell him otherwise. I think he doesn't know what a healthy family entails, and I don't know how to communicate what might be a fair alternative, and how this isn't fair. He grew up in a family with a grossly abusive father who was only a financial drain. His mother provided all the childcare and nearly all the income. I don't know how to show them this isn't right. When he points to other couples we know and points out how much the wife earns, and how he's sure they have a prenuptial agreement, and how they are standard in our area, I shake my head. Those husbands are evolved men who are equal participants in the home life of their family. Who make sure their wives can put in as many hours at work as they do. Who come home early. Who take max paternity leave and hire the best housekeepers and nannies money can buy. And those prenups are about premarital assets, period. But he's listening to Bill Burr and Joe Rogan and nodding his head with the google memo. His attitude, for someone otherwise quite bright, is just so rigid and... basic. He doesn't get it. How can I help him understand? Or at least present the best case possible to him, in writing? I feel like I'm dealing with a teenager. He has many, many good qualities, and I want our child to be raised in a two parent household.

The red pill shoutout makes my mind say "troll", but man I don't even know.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 28, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

:sever:

Edit: I am so glad this answer also applies to the second relationship above. Holy moly.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 28, 2017

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I love that idiots think having a wedding is a net positive if you're paying for it yourself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I'm the one-in-a-quarter million IQ.

Also lmao, I was totally on her side until about halfway through. If she believes in that redpill poo poo then it's probably best that she gets a job rather than raise the child, whom she would inevitably poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

canyoneer posted:

This is amazing.

Looks like their startup wasn't profitable. Better learn some lessons from it for the next one

edit: speaking of startups
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/72vpq2/very_pregnant_and_terrified_of_possibly_grossly/
Very pregnant and terrified of possibly grossly unfair prenup, Bay Area CA (self.legaladvice)
submitted 22 hours ago * by urgent_prenup_help

:laffo:

Her IQ is "one in a million" and yet here we are.