Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I want to say we decided we liked the idea that he was an Emperor Norton-like figure that everyone humored.

The "children" were all paid halflings and everyone was just told to keel over if he started wiggling his fingers at you.
No, they were actual kids from the orphanage he ran, weren't they? I vaguely remember a scene where they huddled around him to protect their sweet old, if slightly delusional, surrogate uncle from the PCs who had jumped to conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Arivia posted:

Apparently they originally started with Book of the Damned Volume 2 and those weren’t player facing. (I suspect you, like me, were really introduced to them by Inner Sea Gods, a later evolution.) But yeah, there’s a section saying these aren’t designed for player use and are for NPC diabolists/etc. It even points out the power levels aren’t good for PCs.

They are organized into sentinel/exalted/I forget the third category again choices. However you’re only supposed to access them through diabolist or whatever - the ISG categories are there for compatibility and offering different choices. You just pick which one to use as a diabolist. To make it all fit, there’s new boons in the sections for Asmodeus and Lamashtu.

I was actually introduced to them via Chronicles of the Righteous (which came out something like a year before ISG), but that was after Book of the Damned Volume 2 by about 2 years. Having it being explicitly meant for really evil NPCs makes it slightly more palatable to me but I'd still have preferred it to have not existed at all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

Note that Folca will never hit the d20pfsrd, which is where a lot of the confusion comes from. He’s purely Product Identity, and they can’t put that stuff up. Archives of Nethys might, but that would be in a dedicated section for the Daemon Harbingers - so no ones going to stumble across it.

I presume it's a situation where you could reproduce the mechanical content, but where the name / description are all PI?... so it would just so bereft of context as to be nearly useless. That is, it's like the old Munchkin d20 books where SJG ferociously claimed anything that wasn't a literal statblock as PI. Which means while you could, say, reproduce the statblocks of the Wight Brothers or the Grassy Gnoll, they didn't make much sense without the punny name and the description.

Granted, seeing James Jacobs' name on the Book of the Damned makes sense, given he seems to like edgelordy horror stuff... or at least recognizes the fact that it sells. I mean, he's largely responsible for overseeing the aforementioned Rise of the Runelords, and did several horror-themed products while at Wizards as well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

L5R is one of those things I remember loving as a kid but is actively embarrassing looking at it now, specifically the depths of orientalism in the "this is what John Wick thinks of Asia" sense. Whether its hilariously inappropriate language/slurs being borrowed, "realism" that is anything but, or artwork that mostly looks like white people in cosplay, it just comes across as skeevy to me now in a way that wasn't apparent ~15+ years ago.

FFG is probably going to be a bit better with it than AEG, probably.
And even if this kind of stuff doesn't bother you, the mechanics are basically held together with scotch tape and thumb tacks and just as stuck in the past. So many artifacts of early 90s design that their grognard base and even groggier writers will not let go, such as multiplicative costs for linear bonuses, only being allowed advantages at chargen, charging xp for purely flavor-based things, and only counting a couple of things towards your level up stat.

If you only have to do "a little" houseruling with FFG it'll be a loving revolution in comparison to AEG, whose motto is "if anything is broken it's probably your fault for having fun wrong, so it's on you to fix it!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Does AEG even exist anymore? I guess I never checked after the L5R sale.

Looks like they make a bunch of card games I've never heard of.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Blockhouse posted:

Does AEG even exist anymore? I guess I never checked after the L5R sale.

Looks like they make a bunch of card games I've never heard of.
AEG got distribution rights for Love Letter and now basically just release Love Letter with a slightly different theme each time. Also release new, unbalanced decks for Smash Up.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I want to say we decided we liked the idea that he was an Emperor Norton-like figure that everyone humored.

The "children" were all paid halflings and everyone was just told to keel over if he started wiggling his fingers at you.

Haha, geez, I remember writing a bit of flash fiction about that. Wish I could remember what thread it was in specifically.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

Haha, geez, I remember writing a bit of flash fiction about that. Wish I could remember what thread it was in specifically.

it was in one of the grogs.txt threads. i want to say it was number 2

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fuego Fish posted:

Found this link on an olds frogs.txt
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3198150&pagenumber=41

Need archives to see it so I can't verify it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Splicer posted:

Found this link on an olds frogs.txt
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3198150&pagenumber=41

Need archives to see it so I can't verify it.

That's the one, and a rather familiar face appears!

Splicer posted:

Maybe change up the kids a little. The area has no orphanages, because the Dread Lord will happily take in any unwanted children. They get free room and board, free run of the castle and grounds, and a bag of gold with a note of recomendation from the "Dread Lord of the Universe" when they hit 13. All this in return for looking suitably woebegone while they're on chain duty and spreading the word about the daily (nonexistant) beatings and cruelties.

Everyone knows it's lies (hell, half the small businesses in the region were founded by "graduates" of his keep with their "severence pay" as seed money), but it makes him happy.

He just wants to be feared :3:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Falstaff posted:

[Pacifism Story Quote]

Oh, man, this GM squandered an amazing opportunity because of "his vision" for the game.
Can you imagine the amazing stuff a pacifist party could get up to that others parties would just draw weapons on?
What a disgrace.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Fuego Fish posted:

That's the one, and a rather familiar face appears!

thaaaaat's the stuff :3:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Blasphemeral posted:

Oh, man, this GM squandered an amazing opportunity because of "his vision" for the game.
Can you imagine the amazing stuff a pacifist party could get up to that others parties would just draw weapons on?

I know, I tried to engage him in an effort to get him to examine exactly why it bothered him so much that his players weren't playing murderhobos, but he never bit. Oh, well, each to their own I suppose. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Did anyone ever post their thoughts on that Maelstorm RPG that Bundle of Holding has right now?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
There's a popular TRPG company in Japan that puts out a lot of stuff that is pretty good but they have this stupid obsession with limit-break-esque abilities. 'Once per session deal 10x damage when you hit something' kind of stuff. I hate it because it's pointless. No player is going to use it until the boss fight for the session, and since the players could easily destroy bosses if they landed one of the things, they have to be packed with a matching set of their own limit breaks to cancel out all the player ones. All boss fights start with everyone listing their limit skills, the GM listing how they all get cancelled, then the battle proceeds as normal. WTF is the point? You can't not have a boss ready for them because a boss that can survive them normally would be way too inflated to be taken down using normal means.

The frustrating thing is this is one of the defining traits of this company's main standard system and it would be fine if they were cool bonus abilities instead of 'pick something to die instantly once per session'

Edit: Oh and one is 'once per session your character can have a wish granted'. Wheee.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 28, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Nuns with Guns posted:

God, why would anyone put child rapist slenderman in their high fantasy rpg?
Because if 4th edition did it first it must be worth copying.
EDIT:
Though that was baby cannibalism and the worst advice ever for bad guys.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 28, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pssst.

Hey kid.

Wanna see some grog?

No? You think you seen it all? Brother, I promise you've never seen anything like this before. This poo poo is pure, uncut razorwire from motherfucking 1974. Published by - I swear to god - published by TSR itself. It was called BIO-ONE and it billed itself as "Rules for exact hit location and damage determination; for use with gunpowder period man-to-man rules."

Oh, now you're interested, huh? Yeah, I can see it in your eyes, the tremor in your hands. You want this grog. You need this grog. Well good news, my friend - I have a little taste for you at no charge. First hit's free, as they say. But I gotta warn you - once you mouse over that spoiler text, you've opened a door that you can never close. Everything's gonna change.

You think you're ready? OK, here we go:

You like that, huh? Really got your juices flowing, did it? Well, if you want some more, you know where to find me. I'll see you around.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*as I put a pog on the map* Lower X-8, Y-7! I sunk your spleen!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
At last, a hit location chart that also doubles as a dungeon map for crawling around inside a giant robot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man the new edition of Operation looks loving rough

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sir, your x-ray results are...alarming to say the least.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm afraid you have a very severe case of BECMI.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I would enjoy that chart, because I always struggle to describe injuries, and my players seem to get stabbed repeatedly, and only, in the collarbone.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Excuse me...but...but I.....oh gods!....:barf:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I really like overlays like the miss charts from Millennium's End or the shot clock from Aces & Eights where you put a plastic chart over a silhouette of your target which tells you where you hit or miss. I realize they're not practical and mostly just slow combat down massively, but that sort of very precise gimmick is something I find fascinating.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

You think you're ready? OK, here we go:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I preferred the third one. Can you even get those on Virtual Console?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Hmmmm, that reminds me of Mechwarrior.

D&D hit location thorax maps would be easier to stomach if they too had Will Bill from GI Joe diving sideways on the sheet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Hey kid.

Wanna see some grog?

resolved with a d1000 roll

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I preferred the third one. Can you even get those on Virtual Console?
As far as I know, none of the FFL series was released on any Virtual Console. I don't know if it's a rights thing, or what.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

resolved with a d1000 roll
With very few exceptions - and those being tables with nearly 100 entries - I simply do not understand why any game designer thinks a d100 isn't detailed enough.

"No, Jim, it's super important we represent this as a 19.2% probability. Rounding to 19% would be insane!"

Like, I get it in WFRP2e's career book lists. But hit location?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I presume it's a situation where you could reproduce the mechanical content, but where the name / description are all PI?... so it would just so bereft of context as to be nearly useless. That is, it's like the old Munchkin d20 books where SJG ferociously claimed anything that wasn't a literal statblock as PI. Which means while you could, say, reproduce the statblocks of the Wight Brothers or the Grassy Gnoll, they didn't make much sense without the punny name and the description.

Granted, seeing James Jacobs' name on the Book of the Damned makes sense, given he seems to like edgelordy horror stuff... or at least recognizes the fact that it sells. I mean, he's largely responsible for overseeing the aforementioned Rise of the Runelords, and did several horror-themed products while at Wizards as well.

Correct. (and the rules information for Folca is literally a list of domains and a list of spell-like abilities granted, so it's super useless without context.) One of the fun facts Paizo uses to enforce the Pathfinder Compatibility License thing they use for the logo is that apparently product titles are product identity, which means that you can't even do those lists in every ogl license blurb of everything you used without actually breaking the license. This is how Paizo enforces people largely not being able to reference anything other than their core hardcover rulebook line and why you see references to "a book about knights on a bounded sea"(which is telling you to go check Pathfinder Player Companion: Knights of the Inner Sea).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

As far as I know, none of the FFL series was released on any Virtual Console. I don't know if it's a rights thing, or what.

It might be a rights thing but I miss those old SaGa games, they were a lot better than the later ones. Also it was fun turning your party members into different kinds of monsters.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

It might be a rights thing but I miss those old SaGa games, they were a lot better than the later ones. Also it was fun turning your party members into different kinds of monsters.

"Final Fantasy: Adventure" was my first RPG of any kind and I treasure it dearly for that reason.

EDIT: And because you can CHAINSAW GOD.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

With very few exceptions - and those being tables with nearly 100 entries - I simply do not understand why any game designer thinks a d100 isn't detailed enough.

"No, Jim, it's super important we represent this as a 19.2% probability. Rounding to 19% would be insane!"

Like, I get it in WFRP2e's career book lists. But hit location?

You have a 2.2% chance to hit the forehead, but only an 0.2% chance to hit the Neck-Throat (which is different from the Neck-Flesh).

Can't get that accurate with "just" a d100! :science:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
[quote="“Arivia”" post="“476852125”"]
Correct. (and the rules information for Folca is literally a list of domains and a list of spell-like abilities granted, so it’s super useless without context.) One of the fun facts Paizo uses to enforce the Pathfinder Compatibility License thing they use for the logo is that apparently product titles are product identity, which means that you can’t even do those lists in every ogl license blurb of everything you used without actually breaking the license. This is how Paizo enforces people largely not being able to reference anything other than their core hardcover rulebook line and why you see references to “a book about knights on a bounded sea”(which is telling you to go check Pathfinder Player Companion: Knights of the Inner Sea).
[/quote]

I thought copyright itself has a fair use exemption for citations?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

I thought copyright itself has a fair use exemption for citations?

I'm sure it does, and good luck convincing anyone in the RPG industry (let alone the fraction of a fraction called Pathfinder third-party developers) to pay up for the legal costs involved.

edit: Actually, that might not even apply since we're talking about the OGL/Pathfinder Compatibility License, and not the general idea of producing copyrighted things in general.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 28, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

I'm sure it does, and good luck convincing anyone in the RPG industry (let alone the fraction of a fraction called Pathfinder third-party developers) to pay up for the legal costs involved.

If someone comes after a good F&F that's actually fair use per initial lawyer consultation, I'd probably pay for the defense. gently caress copyright overreach.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yo, what's a good game or subsystem for players being rulers/department heads that have people working under them. Ideally these people would be usable by the other players if the narrative moved more towards one department or kingdom than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

Yo, what's a good game or subsystem for players being rulers/department heads that have people working under them. Ideally these people would be usable by the other players if the narrative moved more towards one department or kingdom than the other.

• Locked thread