Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

I don't remember which infinity stone is which color, especially because I think it's different in the movies. What's the blue one do again?

In the comics it's Mind, in the movies it's Space/The Tesseract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

In the comics it's Mind, in the movies it's Space/The Tesseract

What's the Mind gem do? Does it just make you the equivalent of an Omega level mutant telepath. I should re-read Thanos' Quest (I think that's the one that has him gathering all the gems before Infinity War, where he kills half the universe so Death will be his girlfriend)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BrianWilly posted:

Oh hm I just realized, the Yaas Queen didn't make a single appearance in this entire book.

With the book selling around 15k, despite all tries to make her into the prime female hero I think they've given up until the movie (the movie's still a go, yes?).

The best selling solo book with a female lead is Mighty Thor with 40k. Because it's a book that knows what it wants and is, where the story goes and where to get there, with a good writer and artist. Captain Marvel is the Xth messy retoool incarnation of a mess of a series, damaged by various event crossovers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

What's the Mind gem do? Does it just make you the equivalent of an Omega level mutant telepath. I should re-read Thanos' Quest (I think that's the one that has him gathering all the gems before Infinity War, where he kills half the universe so Death will be his girlfriend)

yeah it's just super telepathy/telekinesis unless you have all the gems, at which point its basically a universal hive mind

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why does Captain Marvel never seem to work? She has loads of fans (though you can be cynical and say the "Carol Corps" were more KSD fans than Carol fans - I don't know, I think it feels reductive to say that) but I've never seen any of her starring books getting raves or anything. :confused:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Decius posted:

With the book selling around 15k, despite all tries to make her into the prime female hero I think they've given up until the movie (the movie's still a go, yes?).

The best selling solo book with a female lead is Mighty Thor with 40k. Because it's a book that knows what it wants and is, where the story goes and where to get there, with a good writer and artist. Captain Marvel is the Xth messy retoool incarnation of a mess of a series, damaged by various event crossovers.

40k is really good for a book starring a different person than what's in the movies, isn't it. How many Marvel books that aren't Spider-Man or X-Men sell that many?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why does Captain Marvel never seem to work? She has loads of fans (though you can be cynical and say the "Carol Corps" were more KSD fans than Carol fans - I don't know, I think it feels reductive to say that) but I've never seen any of her starring books getting raves or anything. :confused:

Honestly, she's just never had a great book. I like KSD, but her Captain Marvel is nowhere near as good as other stuff she's written, I didn't hate the post-Secret Wars relaunch, but also stopped reading it pretty quick (and this was on Marvel Unlimited, so it's not like I stopped reading because I couldn't afford to buy it). I think she also works better in team books. Hilariously, Carol's books have been derailed by 2 different Civil Wars, when she was still Ms. Marvel the first Civil War hosed her book up something weird too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The info on Jane selling 40k is highly gratifying, I’m used to every book I like usually selling less than half that.

Anyone, Captain Marvel, sucks, always has, seemingly always will. Every time they try and relaunch her, they shoot themselves in the foot with dumb relaunch arcs or make her Captain Thoughtcrime or just plain boring. I’m done given her chances at this point.

If Marvel weren’t so dumb and terrified to do something-anything interesting with her, I’d suggest giving Storm a series. You know, that iconic, important character of theirs that hasn’t been given anything to do in over 20 years except a ridiculously ill-conceived wedding and divorce.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Civil War 2 era run on Captain Marvel was pretty good, but the current run is an abominable mess of pop culture references and bad pacing. She's a good character, but she rarely seems to be written very well.

Mighty Thor on the other hand is my favourite superhero comic being produced today. It's an excellent story with a great protagonist, a compelling overarching plot, and fun superheroics beat to beat. The issues where Thor competes in a Challenge of the Gods against the Shi'ar gods are beyond just "great comics being published right now", they're some great all-time comics.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

The info on Jane selling 40k is highly gratifying, I’m used to every book I like usually selling less than half that.

Anyone, Captain Marvel, sucks, always has, seemingly always will. Every time they try and relaunch her, they shoot themselves in the foot with dumb relaunch arcs or make her Captain Thoughtcrime or just plain boring. I’m done given her chances at this point.

If Marvel weren’t so dumb and terrified to do something-anything interesting with her, I’d suggest giving Storm a series. You know, that iconic, important character of theirs that hasn’t been given anything to do in over 20 years except a ridiculously ill-conceived wedding and divorce.

I didn't read it, and it didn't last long, but Storm had an ongoing series a few years ago

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Storm ongoing was honestly really enjoyable and one of my favorite books at the time so obviously it was cancelled around the time of Secret Wars and the annual X-reboot.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I thought Legacy was only "ok". The Avengers 1,000,000 scenes were pretty great. I wasn't sure how I felt about the forced conflict between Starbrand and Robbie, but I guess Starbrand is just not very good at the whole communication thing and is just wholly focused on being Earth's Defense System or whatever.

The Wolverine reveal was a bit "eh", but I'd already been spoiled on it thanks to Nilbop being unable to figure out how to use Spoiler tags (cheers btw). I agree that the scene with O5 Jean felt a bit hollow because, yeah, she doesn't know The Real Logan at all. (It should have been Kitty, damnit). Also I hope they explain why he just shows up randomly at a SHIELD base when something is going down.

A lot of the other character stuff was good... I both liked and disliked Ironheart ruining her own moment. It was funny, but maybe it would have been nice to give her that moment. The Nu-Cap/Nu-Thor/Nu-Iron Person team-up was a lot of fun overall though.

That last page, though, really gave me ALL THE FEELS. I wouldn't be a huge Fantastic 4 fan, but I like Frank and Val a good bit, so the narrator reveal just really did me in.

Overall though, I don't feel like it hooked me to any of the stories (apart from maybe the Avengers 1,000,000 stuff, and the Fallen/Diseased/Broken Celestial), so from that point of view I don't think Aaron did a terribly good job.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

40k is really good for a book starring a different person than what's in the movies, isn't it. How many Marvel books that aren't Spider-Man or X-Men sell that many?

It's very good. It makes it the 13th best selling non-Star Wars Marvel book and 9th best non-limited non-Star Wars book. Of course, one could lament that Marvel has fallen so low, that 40k is a top-10 book and not a top-30 book nowadays. Of course, if it was a DC book it also would their 9th best book. Overall, no "no limited, no Star Wars" caveats. It sells a bit better than Harley Quinn.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was afraid they would start the arc by killing Robbie; I hope they know better than killing POC characters for shock value in events, specially because I like Robbie as Ghost Rider

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hows War Machine doing btw

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Because Marvel doesn't loving GET Carol. They have no idea why her fans like her, and they believe the best way to market her is by acting as if she's the most popular, the strongest, the best and most courageous. But here's the truth.

Carol Danvers is a loving loser. Carol Danvers is a person so constantly wracked with self-doubt and self-loathing over the hosed up life she's lead, she's torn between two personalities, one that demands she do her duty and be a good leader, and the other that is the manifestation of a god damned warrior that fights for glory. She isn't popular, she's a drunk who constantly gets in her own way. She's pathetic and has never lived up to her potential.

And she keeps trying anyway. She's stumbled and fallen and busted herself up and quite frankly gone through so much poo poo that she would be forgiven for going "I'm done, I can't, let it end." And picking herself up. It's why I like Kyle Rayner or Peter Parker. It's someone getting up at the end of a hellacious loss, bleeding, broken... but not beaten. Ready to take the next hit to the face no matter what needs to be done.

Carol Danvers can't be in-universe popular. I know that she got that popularity by using an in-universe PR company (in which case, the X-men should hire them) but it's so at odds with why the character is likable.

Also she punch aliens good, which is always a plus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I enjoyed Legacy a lot and I'll probably be picking up a couple of the series spinning out of it (I will probably wait for a sale to catch back up on Thor), but I wish whoever edited it had told the artists what the crate looked like, since it changes shape depending on the sequence artist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cancel the Carol movie, make a Kamala movie, and have her be friends with MCU Peter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

Because Marvel doesn't loving GET Carol. They have no idea why her fans like her, and they believe the best way to market her is by acting as if she's the most popular, the strongest, the best and most courageous. But here's the truth.

We already know who's the strongest, the quickest and the best:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The X-Men actually did have a PR firm in the San Francisco/Utopia era.

Then AvX happened.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

The X-Men actually did have a PR firm in the San Francisco/Utopia era.

Then AvX happened.

Wasn't that PR just Sinister. Or did Sinister killed the PR agent? Either way, I'm fairly confident it was just Sinister loving with them.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They made an interesting Jean Grey book which I thought was impossible, but somehow through tons of good writers and artists they cannot make a good captain marvel book. It actually makes me worried for the movie.

Make her gay, trans, anti-hero, villain, stupid, smart or anything to make her actually interesting to read about. That book is incredibly boring and keeps going while other better female led books get cancelled. The best thing she has done is be the inspiration for Kamala.

I buy this stupid captain marvel comic and I'm let down everytime.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
G. Willow Wilson would be the first choice to write Captain Marvel but if she didn't want to do it, I actually think the best option would probably be Busiek.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I am all about Wilson Fisk, Mayor of New York City.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasn't that PR just Sinister. Or did Sinister killed the PR agent? Either way, I'm fairly confident it was just Sinister loving with them.

Sinister killed her while Cyclops was in jail just to gently caress with him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

El Tortuga posted:

I am all about Wilson Fisk, Mayor of New York City.

I'm more interested in the Earth presented in MvC where Mike Haggar is mayor of NYC.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Of all the little legacy one shots, i liked the captain America one. They were all mostly good though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Cancel the Carol movie, make a Kamala movie, and have her be friends with MCU Peter.

I would watch the poo poo out of this movie.

It's never gonna happen though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I would be really happy if Marvel stopped trying to push Carol Danvers and instead focused on one of their likeable female characters. Like yeah you could make Captain Marvel a good and fun character but she already has a ton of baggage by now, and it's obvious no one knows how to make her likeable while remaining consistent with her history.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Her costume is really cool

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I would go for a Bendis Captain Marvel series, if he wrote Carol like he did in Alias.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Onmi posted:

Carol Danvers is a loving loser. Carol Danvers is a person so constantly wracked with self-doubt and self-loathing over the hosed up life she's lead, she's torn between two personalities, one that demands she do her duty and be a good leader, and the other that is the manifestation of a god damned warrior that fights for glory. She isn't popular, she's a drunk who constantly gets in her own way. She's pathetic and has never lived up to her potential.

I think it's a combination of things. She's been getting a wholly inorganic push, in the currently typical Marvel style where they'll retool everything for a new push before the last one's really wound down, and she has a bit of the old Wonder Woman problem where she's been a couple of dozen things over the years and none of them really scan with one another.

When you say Carol, I tend to think of her from back in the day when she was one of Chris Claremont's pet characters, which means she's really stubborn and extremely competent within her fields of expertise. She's not a "loser" by any stretch of the imagination; she has lost, but even at her lowest point she's still a talented pilot, successful writer, and decorated military officer. There's nothing pathetic about any of it, and given some of the poo poo she's been through, having a drinking problem makes a fair amount of sense.

The problem is that since Busiek, nobody seems to have sat down and thought about an organic direction in which she can go. It's all been editorially driven: she has to be Captain Marvel, she has to be an important figure, etc. They said "we need a Wonder Woman type on the Avengers," and Carol was on that short list, because one of the problems with the film-rights debacle is that 99% of the decent female characters in the Marvel Universe are either X-Men or Susan Richards. Naturally, that meant Carol's comics have been underwhelming.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

Of all the little legacy one shots, i liked the captain America one. They were all mostly good though.

If you mean Generations, I think it was the best one too. Obviously it helped that it was the only one that actually said what was going on, but also it was the only one that felt like it really added something new to the character beyond 'hey let's hang out, oh I'm just as good as you are,' even if it was as a justification for him rejecting the legacy role he's had lately. If it was a broader mission statement for helping legacy characters find an identity beyond just being a temporary replacement for the old characters, all the better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
imo the problem i see with Carol is that she's an rear end in a top hat. Like pretty much her entire character is being an rear end in a top hat. You can try to paper over it by giving her a cat and having her underlings be like "oh that Carol and her snide humor" but at the end of the day she's a jerk to her friends, her teammates, her bf before he died, and she cares more about "duty" than people and it's hard to make that into an endearing character

E: I feel like that last part is worth expanding on a little. Carol is absolutely a law and order Republican and in a universe where orgs like shield are barely better than supervillains half the time and superheroes almost always operate outside of government sponsorship, trying to sell a white woman who is rah rah military4life to a demographic who by and large are progressive and anti militaristic is just punching yourself in the nuts

site fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 28, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There was a lot to like about Legacy. Even the Wolverine stuff was saved by having him use the mini frost giants guts to keep his beer cold. Jason Aaron got to include all the solo characters he's written before. Doctor Strange didn't get much, but his one panel was Funny Panels worthy.

Whatever is going on with space Wakanda feels like Black Panther's ending in Secret Wars taken to it's conclusion. Is that really out there, or a possible future?

Marvel Two in One is going to be the book to watch.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wanderer posted:

I think it's a combination of things. She's been getting a wholly inorganic push, in the currently typical Marvel style where they'll retool everything for a new push before the last one's really wound down, and she has a bit of the old Wonder Woman problem where she's been a couple of dozen things over the years and none of them really scan with one another.

When you say Carol, I tend to think of her from back in the day when she was one of Chris Claremont's pet characters, which means she's really stubborn and extremely competent within her fields of expertise. She's not a "loser" by any stretch of the imagination; she has lost, but even at her lowest point she's still a talented pilot, successful writer, and decorated military officer. There's nothing pathetic about any of it, and given some of the poo poo she's been through, having a drinking problem makes a fair amount of sense.

The problem is that since Busiek, nobody seems to have sat down and thought about an organic direction in which she can go. It's all been editorially driven: she has to be Captain Marvel, she has to be an important figure, etc. They said "we need a Wonder Woman type on the Avengers," and Carol was on that short list, because one of the problems with the film-rights debacle is that 99% of the decent female characters in the Marvel Universe are either X-Men or Susan Richards. Naturally, that meant Carol's comics have been underwhelming.

This well summarizes the problem as I view it as well, similar to how the Inhumans have risen to prominence IMO (or even how the DCEU has come about). Something obviously driven top down that editorially might make sense but the character either hasn't earned it, have the personality/story to merit it, shoehorned into being more than they're not etc. There are some potentially some great stories that draws on her history, unique strengths (I mean, I'm constantly amazed that there's been 7 decades of stories with Superman, an invincible god who is notable for basically being flawless) etc. but she's become a Frankenstein of who she is and what she can be, nothing really lands.

I see this especially contrasted with the Ms. Marvel and how she's become has become so popular naturally by someone establishing a clear voice of the character and tone of story.

I'm sure there are some talented writers are there who could do that with Carol, though none spring to mind and don't know if they would fit with Marvel's editorial direction anyway as they're trying to big her up now rather than establish things at a smaller level to build to that.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sinteres posted:

If you mean Generations, I think it was the best one too. Obviously it helped that it was the only one that actually said what was going on, but also it was the only one that felt like it really added something new to the character beyond 'hey let's hang out, oh I'm just as good as you are,' even if it was as a justification for him rejecting the legacy role he's had lately. If it was a broader mission statement for helping legacy characters find an identity beyond just being a temporary replacement for the old characters, all the better.

Yeah, generations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Ms Marvel got popular because the adventures started small and were relatable which endeared the character to the audience. Captain Marvel's problem is that they don't do anything to introduce the character to the audience at all.

The last time I picked up a Captain Marvel #1 was where she started out macking on some boyfriend I didn't know and then left to go stir up trouble in some nearby galaxy or something. I still have no idea what was going on or why I should have cared about what this person was doing. It sucked. That is not the way to tell a story.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Open Marriage Night posted:

There was a lot to like about Legacy. Even the Wolverine stuff was saved by having him use the mini frost giants guts to keep his beer cold. Jason Aaron got to include all the solo characters he's written before. Doctor Strange didn't get much, but his one panel was Funny Panels worthy.

Yeah, but it didn't make much sense with Young Jean being the one to find he's still alive. I feel like Old Man Logan has more of a relation with this Jean than regular Wolverine did. Why wasn't it Laura?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Tortuga posted:

Yeah, but it didn't make much sense with Young Jean being the one to find he's still alive. I feel like Old Man Logan has more of a relation with this Jean than regular Wolverine did. Why wasn't it Laura?

Laura is in space.

I hope Marvel 2 in 1 has May Parker as Chip writes a great Aunt May

• Locked thread