Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

So how did he do a rear-wheel-only burnout?

With a transmission and torque split controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darchangel posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

GTR has a pretty nifty AWD system. Routes power first to the rear transaxle and then it can choose to send power forward with a second driveshaft.
And it has sensors and electronics plugged in all over the place and can vary torque output incredibly quickly.

Open up the controller to some enterprising folk and you'd see some crazy poo poo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Bonus points if you can tell the vehicle underneath.

Fiero?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

thechalkoutline posted:

The worst part about CA's front plate law is it's a double standard, in any reasonably populated area 'nice' cars can run no front plate no problemo.

EDIT: stuff I have on my phone I always mean to post

got to drive one of these in high school a few times. taught me to appreciate power steering when parallel parking :snoop:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Darchangel posted:

Even the new TT-RS just sends power to the rear wheels if you use launch control. (Have I mentioned in here how good the TT-RS was? It was spectacular, and surprisingly so because the RS3 really wasn't.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
GTR uses a clutch pack to send power forward, so all you need to do is tell that to open and the car is RWD.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Toyota Land Cruiser

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BlackMK4 posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

GTR has a pretty nifty AWD system. Routes power first to the rear transaxle and then it can choose to send power forward with a second driveshaft.
And it has sensors and electronics plugged in all over the place and can vary torque output incredibly quickly.

Open up the controller to some enterprising folk and you'd see some crazy poo poo.

jamal posted:

GTR uses a clutch pack to send power forward, so all you need to do is tell that to open and the car is RWD.

drgitlin posted:

Even the new TT-RS just sends power to the rear wheels if you use launch control. (Have I mentioned in here how good the TT-RS was? It was spectacular, and surprisingly so because the RS3 really wasn't.)

Oh, that's cool!
I have learned today. Thank you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Toyota Land Cruiser Hilux

FTFY

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Thief posted:

got to drive one of these in high school a few times. taught me to appreciate power steering when parallel parking :snoop:

Oh man, I wonder if there's some resto-mod trans cause the owner was like 70+ (you can kinda make him out in one of the pics, I asked if I could snap some shots before he left)

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

thechalkoutline posted:

Oh man, I wonder if there's some resto-mod trans cause the owner was like 70+ (you can kinda make him out in one of the pics, I asked if I could snap some shots before he left)

I thought you could get them with power steering, though? It had an odd setup where the power steering pump was bolted to the back of the generator I thought, but maybe that didn't start until a couple of years later. Here's one on a 57 Bel Air:

(largehuge image: https://imgur.com/a/MCHX5 )

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What the gently caress is going on with that air cleaner monstrosity?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Factory dual-quad setup for the 283 http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2012/08/which-was-hotter-1957-chevy-dual-quad.html . I'm pretty sure it's original to that car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

boxen posted:

I thought you could get them with power steering, though?

Given that you can easily build a tri-five out of a catalog, I expect there is a bolt-on and relatively inexpensive power steering conversion available that uses a more traditional steering box and the same drat GM power steering pump they used for eons.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given that you can easily build a tri-five out of a catalog, I expect there is a bolt-on and relatively inexpensive power steering conversion available that uses a more traditional steering box and the same drat GM power steering pump they used for eons.

Yeah, I'm just saying it could have power steering and not be a resto-mod. The hanging-off-the-back-of-the-generator isn't a great setup anyway. If you wanted a more driveable car, you'd put in an alternator and the standard GM power steering pump.
The picture I posted is my dad's car, he's added power steering to a couple of cars of roughly the same year, and he's big on originality, or at least factory-correct. He's bought those old ones at swap meets and paid to have them rebuilt, just because he doesn't like the look of newer stuff. He also puts up with leaky transmissions that don't shift great, because he wont' put something newer in that is easier to rebuild. He did ask about putting EFI onto older motors once (he saw an LS1 in a tri-5, and it was dressed up to look like an old motor, although the fuel rails and lack of distributor were a dead giveaway).

The 55 that was posted looks to have original-ish wheels and ride height, so it might lean towards the more original side.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Enourmo posted:

Dual oil-bath air cleaner, I'd imagine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rigged Death Trap posted:

GTR has a pretty nifty AWD system.

I remember when the current GT-R came out I read an article in a magazine (I was in a doctor's office) and they compared the technology in the whole range from the R32 Skyline GT-R to the current monster. Really interesting to see the progression of it. In the first incarnation of the ATTESA system it took an 18° (5%) slip before the clutch pack would mechanically engage allowing the front wheels to spin. In the most recent it's completely electro-hydraulically controlled and has fractions of a degree sensitivity.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Memento posted:

I remember when the current GT-R came out I read an article in a magazine (I was in a doctor's office) and they compared the technology in the whole range from the R32 Skyline GT-R to the current monster. Really interesting to see the progression of it. In the first incarnation of the ATTESA system it took an 18° (5%) slip before the clutch pack would mechanically engage allowing the front wheels to spin. In the most recent it's completely electro-hydraulically controlled and has fractions of a degree sensitivity.

Makes me hope Nissan actually remembers how to start building (new) good stuff again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

boxen posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying it could have power steering and not be a resto-mod. The hanging-off-the-back-of-the-generator isn't a great setup anyway. If you wanted a more driveable car, you'd put in an alternator and the standard GM power steering pump.
The picture I posted is my dad's car, he's added power steering to a couple of cars of roughly the same year, and he's big on originality, or at least factory-correct. He's bought those old ones at swap meets and paid to have them rebuilt, just because he doesn't like the look of newer stuff. He also puts up with leaky transmissions that don't shift great, because he wont' put something newer in that is easier to rebuild. He did ask about putting EFI onto older motors once (he saw an LS1 in a tri-5, and it was dressed up to look like an old motor, although the fuel rails and lack of distributor were a dead giveaway).

The 55 that was posted looks to have original-ish wheels and ride height, so it might lean towards the more original side.

Yes, power steering was available in '55s, though it was a hydraulic ram with a reaction valve rather than integral to the steering box.
Also those wheels are '70s Corvette-style rally wheels, a common upgrade for folks wanting GM styled wheels, but better than stock. A bunch of wheel manufacturers make them in a whole range of sizes, offsets, and bolt patterns. There's about a dozen different styles of center caps, too - top hats, flat caps, "disc brake" small center caps, three-bar spinners, even ways to make early Fod and others poverty caps fit. Commonly known as "Corvette Rally Wheels" or "Camaro Rally Wheels". They're a good looking wheel without being overdone of flashy.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...1.0.LCbWRVPdgxs

There are even billet aluminum varieties.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Yes, power steering was available in '55s, though it was a hydraulic ram with a reaction valve rather than integral to the steering box.
Also those wheels are '70s Corvette-style rally wheels, a common upgrade for folks wanting GM styled wheels, but better than stock. A bunch of wheel manufacturers make them in a whole range of sizes, offsets, and bolt patterns. There's about a dozen different styles of center caps, too - top hats, flat caps, "disc brake" small center caps, three-bar spinners, even ways to make early Fod and others poverty caps fit. Commonly known as "Corvette Rally Wheels" or "Camaro Rally Wheels". They're a good looking wheel without being overdone of flashy.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...1.0.LCbWRVPdgxs

There are even billet aluminum varieties.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about the wheels. Looking around a bit, the stock hubcaps (or at least the one's I've seen) cover much more of the wheel. Now that you point it out, I recognize that style of centercap from seeing something similar on the cars you mentioned. I've screwed with the hydraulic ram steering you mention, I had to help add power steering to a 59 that used that setup.

In other news, I saw this yesterday while taking a walk:

Had some small blemishes in the paint, but no rust that I could find.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone was doing their General Patton cosplay at the petrol station the other day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd daily that.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What's the consensus on this: http://bollingermotors.com/

On the one hand,

Specs posted:

All Wheel Drive (AWD)
0-60 in 4.5 sec

On the other, it has slightly better lines than the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I definitely drew that truck in 1989 where's my god drat royalty checks

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It would probably have substantially more on-road range if they even tried a little bit to make it more aerodynamic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

An electric off-roader would give me pause. It's fairly easy to carry some jerrycans to refill in the bush, but if you run out of charge you're kind of stuck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just before anyone asks, we did this math already in some thread somewhere and with a 4x8 foot foldable solar panel you could theoretically regain ~20 miles of electric range per sunny summer day.

Don't get yourself too deep into the bush.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

An electric off-roader would give me pause. It's fairly easy to carry some jerrycans to refill in the bush, but if you run out of charge you're kind of stuck.

LOL the only bush that truck is ever going to see is at the garden center down the road.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You can pop open the hood and see all the way through the car. I would load that thing up with 10ft construction lumber to build my mancave/personal garage bar. This car simply wouldn't do in a plebian car hole.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I don't know but I love it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MetaJew posted:

On the one hand,

The full-length pass-through is kinda cool, though my immediate thought was "like a pair of goddamned Chinese finger-cuffs".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It might do pretty good as a weekend casual off roader. For comparisson, in the motorcycle world, one of the new players Alta has an electric dirtbike that's supposed to be quite good. If you're doing full-on motocross the battery range is only about 30 min at best, but for tighter trail riding it's hours worth of power. So if that thing had a 100 mile range on-road, that could equate to a weekend offroad camping trip pretty easily (i.e. not sustained 40mph for 100 miles)

Seems like a cool idea.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

yeah nah that is fun as poo poo. I like it

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MetaJew posted:

On the one hand,

Is this the company that Land Rover is suing for making this too similar to the Defender?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

It appears to have rolls of fire hose in the back!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MetaJew posted:

On the one hand,

A carpenter I'm working with just said he'd love to have that as his city car here in NYC. It could handle pothole covered streets, carry a ton of poo poo, and charging wouldn't be a big problem.

I like it a lot.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The full-length pass-through is kinda cool, though my immediate thought was "like a pair of goddamned Chinese finger-cuffs".

My immediate thought was picturing roadkill flying off the bumper and straight into that hole

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
It almost makes sense but at 60k theres far better options that will have ac.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'd expect that to be cheaper considering they spent zero dollars on the design

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

It almost makes sense but at 60k theres far better options that will have ac.

There's no AC? Good luck selling that anywhere that isn't frozen 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

First Bugatti Chiron US delivery, vlogger is kind of annoying but the car is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDESp4E-qRc

Shame about the US spec rear bumpers.